• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2's development will continue after the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Despite loving STALKER this is, surprisingly, a Kickstarter I'd be very wary backing. The team would have to pitch the project hard and give me a damn good idea as to what they're going to do, where the money will go, how long they'll need, and how big the team is. STALKER took fucking forever and STALKER 2 was clearly in development hell.

I want STALKER 2, but I'm not confident throwing my money towards a project that wont see the light of day.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
finally they come to their senses.

but it shows that they weren't able to broker a deal with Fork because they would have no problems with setting up an american bank account in this case. also if they have problems with setting up an american bank account it shows that their approach to this whole situation isn't serious enough because while it may impose some complications for them Kickstarter would fix their financial situation in a moment. They need about 4-5 million $ to develop the whole game and they have already made the engine so it must be even lower. They would get 2 million $ EASILY with Kickstarter. I think they would get much more if they do the pitch right.

but from what I heard about this game and its development it might not be good. Judging from impressions of people who worked there, from rumours about Grigorovich's attitude and - the most important - from Call of Pripyat I think they won't deliver even though some pressure may bring the best in the team. I would love to be proved wrong but I just don't trust them anymore and I won't donate. If it was 4A games I would donate right away. If it was GSC after SoC I would donate right away. But now I will need some sound proof that the game will be good and it will be finished.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Going PayPal only also defeats the philosophy of Kickstarter, which is supposed to be about pitching the bare minimum for a project and see where you can go from there. If it doesn't get funded, it doesn't get funded, and if it only meets the bare minimum the team has set budget limitations to work with. PayPal is an investment right off the bat, and without knowing the scope of the project I wouldn't be okay with that.

Atolm

Going PayPal only also defeats the philosophy of Kickstarter, which is supposed to be about pitching the bare minimum for a project and see where you can go from there. If it doesn't get funded, it doesn't get funded, and if it only meets the bare minimum the team has set budget limitations to work with. PayPal is an investment right off the bat, and without knowing the scope of the project I wouldn't be okay with that.

Yeah, same here. I really wish them luck but I wouldn't donate. The first game took like six or seven years to come out lol, they aren't reliable at all. And it seems they don't know what to do with Stalker 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
the biggest red flag to me is that financial interests overshadow the interest in developing the actual game (from what I heard). Merchandise, some shitty books and so on come first. All these money could be invested into the game. But again from what I heard Grigorovich has always been interested in STALKER as a franchise and a sound business development more than a game that breaks boundaries. May be it's not true but I've read this sentiment in various sources. It may not be true but it's out there and they need to show something to ressuare people before I donate.

1-D_FTW

As much as I love STAKER, I'd consider money on kickstarter to be money flushed down the toilet.

It's not like they're a smooth operation. And with the major IP recognition they've built, I can't believe their publisher would have canned the project unless they felt Stalker 2 was an absolute mess that would be a money sink to try and correct.

zkylon

zkylewd
If they went the Kickstarter route, I'd give them a big ass pledge. Even if it ends up being money down the drain, I think the possibility of another game from those guys is worth the big scary gamble. I don't know how I feel about straight-up Paypal, though.

This simple video got me HYPED. I don't care if they fail miserably at making S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2. Get the 2 player production guys to document the colossal failure and they have at least $300 of my money. Why don't they try to work something up so that they can use Kickstarter. Hell, Paypal will do if that's the last resort. The only guarantee is that I get the game or whatever the hell they end up developing after they burn through the money.

Angry Fork

Isn't kickstarter money refunded if they don't deliver a game? It may not turn out great but they can't just take your money and bail. The one thing that would make me donate without a doubt is cheats on the PC version via console command. I love the atmosphere in the original games but the difficulty is ridiculous. I just want to be invincible and be able to soak in the atmosphere sometimes but you can't do that and the trainers don't work.

zkylon

zkylewd
Isn't kickstarter money refunded if they don't deliver a game? It may not turn out great but they can't just take your money and bail. The one thing that would make me donate without a doubt is cheats on the PC version via console command. I love the atmosphere in the original games but the difficulty is ridiculous. I just want to be invincible and be able to soak in the atmosphere sometimes but you can't do that and the trainers don't work.
You get your money back if they don't meet the $$$ requirement before the set deadline, but past that, the money's theirs. They can blow it on yachts and Ferraris and that would be ok by Kickstarter.

That won't happen, though, since we all know Grigorovich already has a Ferrari :p

Mr Swine

Banned
You get your money back if they don't meet the $$$ requirement before the set deadline, but past that, the money's theirs. They can blow it on yachts and Ferraris and that would be ok by Kickstarter.

That won't happen, though, since we all know Grigorovich already has a Ferrari :p

But does he have 2 ferraris?

I hope they get to release Stalker II soon enough :/

casabolg

Banned

If they don't finish the project they are legally obligated to give back the money.

zkylon

zkylewd
But does he have 2 ferraris?

I hope they get to release Stalker II soon enough :/
NEW MILESTONE ANNOUNCED! NEW FERRARI FOR GRIGOROVICH WHEN PLEDGES REACH 2M ! IF YOU PLEDGE 10K+ YOU GET TO RIDE SHOTGUN WITH HIM!

If they don't finish the project they are legally obligated to give back the money.
It says so on Kickstarter? I just did a quick browse through their FAQ and didn't find anything about it.

I imagine people could go class-action on their asses, but, then again, they just spent all your money and I wouldn't go through the hassle for 15 bucks.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I wonder if they still want to proceed with that completely insane plan to require an online connection and stream parts of the game world to your computer as you progress...

casabolg

Banned
NEW MILESTONE ANNOUNCED! NEW FERRARI FOR GRIGOROVICH WHEN PLEDGES REACH 2M ! IF YOU PLEDGE 10K+ YOU GET TO RIDE SHOTGUN WITH HIM!

It says so on Kickstarter? I just did a quick browse through their FAQ and didn't find anything about it.

I imagine people could go class-action on their asses, but, then again, they just spent all your money and I wouldn't go through the hassle for 15 bucks.

I found it on Kickstarter. Once the limit is reach the money is locked into place (no withdraws from pledgers) and they are legally obligated to either finish the product or give all the money back. The questionable thing is if they don't use the money on the project, make some crap, and then send it out but that would ruin their reputations for future projects.

zkylon

zkylewd
I found it on Kickstarter. Once the limit is reach the money is locked into place (no withdraws from pledgers) and they are legally obligated to either finish the product or give all the money back. The questionable thing is if they don't use the money on the project, make some crap, and then send it out but that would ruin their reputations for future projects.
Better yet, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom