• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saint Seiya Omega: All New Saint Seiya TV Anime! |OT| - ATHENA, OPEN MY HAATO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suen

First OVAs weren't successful enough. They made the later ones just to promote the Divine Cloths, so the budget was much lower. Lost Canvas went through a similar issue. It wasn't considered successful enough so... they just stopped.

Omega is actually going through the reverse right now. The reason the last few episodes seem to have a higher budget than the first episodes of season 2 is likely connected to positive financial results that Toei posted regarding Saint Seiya in their last report (Toriko fell behind Saint Seiya there).
I'd rather watch the Hades Arc on an infinite loop before I watch season 2 of Omega. The first season damaged me so much that it will take years before I can watch the rest of that abomination. It's a fucking shame they had a low budget for the Hades Arc, they should have just stopped after the sanctuary part of it, fuck ruining that arc just to promote their shit.

Lost Canvas was the best Saint Seiya and my god was the freaking art style SO GOOD!

Loved all the Gold Saints and Pegasus Tenma. Also had the most awesome Hades around and the villains.

Watch both seasons if you haven't already. They are available on Hulu. Sad to think that a season 3 will not happen. ;_;
Yes I agree. I love the old series, the Sanctuary arc is great and the Poseidon arc wasn't that bad but most of us can agree that we like it just because of nostalgia, because watching it as kids. The series is otherwise very repetitive, predictable, at many times very annoying and ugly and has bunch of overused shots. Basically it's: fight stronger enemies -> lose and almost die -> friends/hope/can't give up/Saori-saaaaaaaan -> defeat enemy. Repeat for all battles. Basically the series goes up and down in quality. The only other good part is the sanctuary chapter of hades arc which is funny because the rest of the hades arc went back to being just as predictable and repeating as the old anime. They really need to re-do the entire hades arc or at least the inferno part and onwards with a proper budget.

I'm up to five episodes of Lost Canvas and I'm loving it better than all other series so far. So much of the old bullshit that hurt the series gone, character designs are amazing and everything feels much more serious as it should be considering the story. The moves look really nice and battles are very nicely done so far. I like that importance and time are given to the Specters as well, and like this generation of Hades and Specters way better. I also can't believe how much I like Pisces Gold Saint in this series. I never liked Aphrodite in the old series, he just didn't look enough strong and serious as a gold saint and was bad in comparison with most of the other gold saints imo (although I did like the fight he had). But Pisces Gold Saint in Lost Canvas, Albafica, is just fucking amazing. What a badass, loved every bit of him.

It's sad that this won't get a full anime adaption. I can't understand how it didn't end up being successful while the Omega bullshit continues airing. It's an alternate story as NoctisVsStar mentioned and yet what I've seen so far is already better than most of the original material in all ways (have not read Next Dimension though). Wtf is wrong with the viewers in Japan?

Oh and when you like a prequel which is non-canon more than the original series you know something is wrong.

Somax

Seeing how Omega is quickly turning in "look at the legendary saints kicking asses and taking names while the new bronze saints job horribly (pegasus saint excluded because fuck you, he's the main character!)", I'm not surprised to know that this second series is doing better than the first.

They make SHUN look like a badass.
SHUN.
Let that settle in for a moment.

Suen

Seeing how Omega is quickly turning in "look at the legendary saints kicking asses and taking names while the new bronze saints job horribly (pegasus saint excluded because fuck you, he's the main character!)", I'm not surprised to know that this second series is doing better than the first.

They make SHUN look like a badass.
SHUN.
Let that settle in for a moment.
So they had to go back to old characters to keep the series above a mediocre value. Good to know it's still shit (and I will still watch it regardless of quality someday, why do I hurt myself :( )

I wish they would get on with the new clothes or move on to the Gold Saints fighting.

A part of me just laughed when Shiryu became the Libra Gold so easily. Makes me wonder when Ikki will show up again and who he will fight. Can't wait for someone to take out that Jester guy too.

Suen

Masami should just retire and let the guy who made Lost Canvas take over the franchise. Let him lead a project where he does an anime adaption of the rest of the manga with the same company that did the earlier seasons and then let him do an anime adaption of SSG and Next Dimension with that company.

Has anyone of you read Next Dimension? How is it in comparison to Lost Canvas? No spoilers pls.

NeonZ

Has anyone of you read Next Dimension? How is it in comparison to Lost Canvas? No spoilers pls.

Next Dimension is basically more of the same of the original series, just without Seiya so far and more active Gold Saints. It even has another 12 houses run. If you just want more of the original, you might enjoy it, otherwise it likely won't do anything to you. This 12 houses rehash is basically the main reason Lost Canvas is non-canon too...

A part of me just laughed when Shiryu became the Libra Gold so easily. Makes me wonder when Ikki will show up again and who he will fight.

Ikki's going to fight against Agaeon, the same one he already faced in a flashback. Spoilers for next episodes say that Agaeon appears before Kouga and co. Shun stays behind to fighting him but has problems, and then Ikki appears.

Masami should just retire and let the guy who made Lost Canvas take over the franchise. Let him lead a project where he does an anime adaption of the rest of the manga with the same company that did the earlier seasons and then let him do an anime adaption of SSG and Next Dimension with that company.

Well it continues after the hades arc it's a sequel/prequel seiya is on the verge of death after hades stabbed him. Elements from lost canvas are taken Pegasus tenma is there. Btw a low res trailer of the movie for next year is online I saw it on some forums

It's a shame Kurumada prefers Next Dimension to the "Heaven Chapter Overture" film. I thought that film was awesome and a refreshing change from the usual formula.

Suen

It's a shame Kurumada prefers Next Dimension to the "Heaven Chapter Overture" film. I thought that film was awesome and a refreshing change from the usual formula.
It's a shame he prefers his own rehash of his own damn work over a new, refreshing and creative work. Loving the whole cast of Lost Canvas, just a few more episodes and I'm done, went through it too fast :/

Episode 86

I thought the transformation to the new clothes were lame. Koga still doesn't have his perfect cloth yet unlike the others or it was an animation error.

I'm more hyped for Seiya getting his new Gold cloth to fight Titan. Also Athena Exclamation next episode from the sounds of things so I'm excited about that.

I also laughed pitifully at the "new" armor for folks---gotta love the dramatic cut-ins on the pair that only seem to have gained useless footclaws!

I'll give them credit for the Gemini-Paradox combo fight culmination with the Golds getting in some licks----that whole part, far moreso than how horribly they did Ikki after all that buildup, gives me some degree of cautiously optimistic renewed hope that things will actually, finally ramp up to where they should've been outright for ages now.

Episode 87

SHIRYU!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!.Vaderjpg

It was amazing seeing Athena Exclamation but dammit! ;_;

Apparently Hyperion suvives as well. ;_;

I cannot wait for a Seiya power up but I'm afraid all the previous Bronze saints will die. ;_;

Hyoga and Shun might be next.

NeonZ

I don't get why everyone seems to be completely believing the cliff hanger deaths from the last episode, and now even seem to be expecting a bloodbath of classic characters. Both Omega detractors and people who enjoy the show seem entirely convinced that these are real and will stick, and more are coming, in spite of how open they were in several ways (no bodies, not even damaged cloths in the preview, just a destroyed battlefield)...

I don't get why everyone seems to be completely believing the cliff hanger deaths from the last episode, and now even seem to be expecting a bloodbath of classic characters. Both Omega detractors and people who enjoy the show seem entirely convinced that these are real and will stick, and more are coming, in spite of how open they were in several ways (no bodies, not even damaged cloths in the preview, just a destroyed battlefield)...

I don't think anyone seriously believes it in the case of important characters. But Genbu is deader then dead.

I mean Ikki has always come back. But still seeing them die on screen is not fun.

The new Cloths are so ergonomic.
sailorbumpy0qdh.gif

Omega is a disgrace to the Saint Seiya series.

Having no basis relation with the series before Omega I couldn't judge...much. A buddy recommended me to watch Lost Canvas for example.It was very solid

My biggest gripe with Omega is the constant back pedaling, diminishing character values and deus ex cosmos for these Bronze Saints.

NeonZ

Personally, I enjoy Omega, but that's likely due to nostalgia. I liked the original series, but never liked the direction that it took later (starting from Poseidon), alongside its spin offs - basically, stopping everyone's progression to keep the Gold Saint level relevant, unlike up to the end of the Sanctuary arc when the main Saints just got stronger and stronger. After that, they only seemed to make an exception for the Divine Cloths, and even then it was just temporary.

So, watching a show where Gold Saint level is just another level to be surpassed is extremely satisfying to me.

Anyway, the Omega Cloths:

NeonZ

Harbinger's focus episode on his battle against Titan was pretty good. The animation doesn't compare to the best moments of the first season, but what was there was good, and they developed his character well.

The Athena vs Pallas battle, on the other hand, was rather disappointing. It was fairly short and the insert song was out of place. Animation was worse than the previous episode (with the flashback being entirely laughable), although it was nice to finally see Saori getting a real "put on" sequence and battle.

Also, Seiya lost his Umakoshi design now with Sagittarius' evolution:

1392501188-0192-001.gif

NeonZ

OK GAF plese tell if as a fan of the original series and the and lost canvas, should I watch omega?.

It's pretty generic plot-wise, and the animation is really inconsistent since it's a weekly tv show like the original and not an OVA like Lost Canvas. The first season still has some moments with great and really fluid animation though, but it's about 5 episodes in the entire show, and came at the cost of less detailed cloth designs. Violence level is also much lower than in the original series, although that generally only means less blood.

The second season has more detailed designs, but no really "stand out" episodes animation wise, while still having some of the worst animation teams from the first season too for other episodes.

First season starts with a "Saint school" plotline that's quickly dropped, and then basically remakes the arcs of the original up to the 12 houses but with new main bronze Saints and new antagonists. The only old protagonist that gets active appearances is Seiya. Second season has an original plotline, and actually uses all original five in combat too, they're treated as secondary characters here though, aside from maybe Seiya.

Basically, if you can still stand or enjoy a weekly shounen anime, try it, but it never really goes beyond that.

gunther

It's pretty generic plot-wise, and the animation is really inconsistent since it's a weekly tv show like the original and not an OVA like Lost Canvas. The first season still has some moments with great and really fluid animation though, but it's about 5 episodes in the entire show, and came at the cost of less detailed cloth designs. Violence level is also much lower than in the original series, although that generally only means less blood.

The second season has more detailed designs, but no really "stand out" episodes animation wise, while still having some of the worst animation teams from the first season too for other episodes.

First season starts with a "Saint school" plotline that's quickly dropped, and then basically remakes the arcs of the original up to the 12 houses but with new main bronze Saints and new antagonists. The only old protagonist that gets active appearances is Seiya. Second season has an original plotline, and actually uses all original five in combat too, they're treated as secondary characters here though, aside from maybe Seiya.

Basically, if you can still stand or enjoy a weekly shounen anime, try it, but it never really goes beyond that.

i'll try it and see what happens, not too much hope tough

Desi

Since this takes place after the original series I have a question. Does Seiya call back to rocking Apollo in the face? Wasn't that movie actually the only one that counts as cannon?

JCG

Since this takes place after the original series I have a question. Does Seiya call back to rocking Apollo in the face? Wasn't that movie actually the only one that counts as cannon?

As far as I can tell, that's only something a few people assume and not an official stance.

Then again, the very concept of Saint Seiya "canon" makes me laugh a bit.

It was meant to be canon, but the creator of Saint Seiya didn't like the result because it was different than what he had in mind, so he did the manga Saint Seiya: Next Dimension, another followup to the original series, which contradicts that movie.

It's a damn shame, because the fact that that movie was so different than the usual Saint Seiya story is what made many people like it in the first place.

NeonZ

Well, I'm at least happy they didn't end this show right after the final battle, unlike what the original Saint Seiya series, and even Omega season 1 had done that. There was a neat epilogue showing the peace that the Saints had fought to achieve.

Also, the last shot, after the end of the episode itself, is a random YunaxKouga picture (Souma pushing them onto each other and the two blushing). It's kind of out of place since in the episode itself Kouga leaves in a journey alone but then drags Eden with him.

And the new pope is
Harbinger

The only direct reference to the prologue movie in Omega is Athena's home in the beginning of the first season, which is from the movie. Also, Apsu in the ending of the first season said that Athena was the only goddess remaining out of those that had stolen the world from him (which would mean that all Olympians are dead, and so some off screen battle against the gods happened in Omega's backstory). However, the events of the movie, or apparently the full on battle against the gods that happened later, are never directly talked about. The earliest we see Seiya in post-Hades flashbacks he's already up and running as the new Sagittarius Saint (still with the classic design though, not Omega's).

Omega, especially in season 2, actually acknowledges some anime-only elements from the original series too, even one that modifies parts of the manga (the original Steel Saints), so it doesn't really work as a sequel to the manga, just Toei's previous animated works.

Suen

Good to see this shit done. I haven't watched the second season and will only do so when I absolutely have nothing to watch anymore. The first season killed my soul.

How about making the rest of Lost Canvas now (and by the same team who made the first two seasons of that show)? You can only hope.

NeonZ

How about making the rest of Lost Canvas now (and by the same team who made the first two seasons of that show)? You can only hope.

That was a completely different studio, it had nothing to do with Toei and Omega. And it had low sales for an OVA, so it's very unlikely they'd make more.

Suen

That was a completely different studio, it had nothing to do with Toei and Omega. And it had low sales for an OVA, so it's very unlikely they'd make more.
I know it was by a completely different studio and that season 3 was cancelled because the OVA wasn't that well-received in Japan. I just meant that I wished a third season could have been the next Saint Seiya project. The Japanese fanbase, in this case, really like shit. As much as I like the old SS series it's horrible in many ways and Omega is even worse. I would have rated the Hades arc much higher if they hadn't fucked up the quality beyond the Sanctuary Arc, but the studio who made Lost Canvas did a great job and that series is by far superior to any other SS series out there imo. To be fair it's an OVA series but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom