• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row - New Trailer

winalot

Judging by that trailer, a pimp's reflex reaction when shot in the back is to slap his nearest ho. Gold :lol

Gek54

The best satire in gta is the gay construction workers who are super gayed up

gta3pc002.jpg

BRILLIANT!

MbGCaM said:
So you like Eminem an Genji 2 with a giant enemy crab?

that was a joke based on that survey a while back btw...

i like the first genji (way better than onimusha) so im looking forward to genji 2 even tho it had a crappy first unveiling

Liquid

Banned
holy crap that looked awesome!!!! f the haters. looks exacly like GTA but next gen. and as far as GTA "charm" the only GTA that had "charm" was 3 IMO. the others lack both the feel or charm of part 3.

Liquid said:
holy crap that looked awesome!!!! f the haters. looks exacly like GTA but next gen. and as far as GTA "charm" the only GTA that had "charm" was 3 IMO. the others lack both the feel or charm of part 3.

Yeah...GTA3 was the only one I actually finished :)

but, I really don't understand the hate Saints Row gets....its as if "there can be only one" or some shit

highlander.JPG

seriously....I think this game will be kick ass if everything comes together :)

Vrolokus

Banned
Gek54 said:
So what are the Top 5 satiracal moments in the GTA series?

1) The brilliantly satirical hooker beatings.

2) The astoundingly satirical shotguning of police officers.

3) The sublime satire of stealing a fire truck.

4) The biting satire of running over a stereotypically gay construction worker.

5) The cunning satire of spraying an ambulance with machinegun fire.

Are you sorry you asked? ;)

Vrolokus said:
1) The brilliantly satirical hooker beatings.

2) The astoundingly satirical shotguning of police officers.

3) The sublime satire of stealing a fire truck.

4) The biting satire of running over a stereotypically gay construction worker.

5) The cunning satire of spraying an ambulance with machinegun fire.

Are you sorry you asked? ;)

:lol :lol

honestly GTA just has great atmosphere THATS IT. Combat MEchanics suck ass driving isnt that great. The missions get repetitive after the first couple of hours. The atmosphere makes up for alot of that but the core gameplay is nothing that cant be beaten.

Im not saying SAints row will have better gameplay but its not like GTA is some untouchable sandbox game. Hell the havoc Physics engine alone make saints row seem alot of fun interms of fooling around with gameplay.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I've personally never understood the rush to defend GTA. They are fun games, but that is it. Great atmosphere, like Kabuki Waq stated, but that is as far as it goes.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Vrolokus said:
Brilliant? Brilliant?

Don't you think that overstates it just a little tiny bit? I mean, maybe by videogame standards you could call it "brilliant", but come on...

Furthermore, the millions of gamers who made GTA the hit it is aren't buying it for the brilliant (ahem) satire, I assure you.
Did you take an exit poll?

Mojovonio

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
okay, just got home and was actually able to watch the video

.........****ing awesome!

I know.

Its not going to be a deep gameplay experience, but damn, running over people looks.....sad to say..... HILARIOUS!

Vrolokus

Banned
bishoptl said:
Did you take an exit poll?

So what do people buy Madden games for? Sisyphusian allegory?

And wouldn't GTA have to have "brilliant satire" (or satire period) to be popular on that basis?

Ya, looks fun just running people over on the sidewalk. Ive never played the gta stuff before, but i may rent this just to run people down for a fews and then return it.

That water really impressed me, even if it doesn't have nice splashing. It looks like real polluted water in gross city rivers/canals.

meltpotato said:
That water really impressed me, even if it doesn't have nice splashing. It looks like real polluted water in gross city rivers/canals.

I thought it looked pretty good, especially the car that flips into the water after exploding.

"Press Y To Warp To Shore" is a nice idea aswell, getting ashore can be a pain in the ass in GTA.

so many bitter people in this thread

I <3 gta

I hope saints row is decent, I need a tide me over till nov 07

and rag dolls wont do I busted that gaming nut over half life 2, years ago.

Kabouter

Kabuki Waq said:
:lol :lol

honestly GTA just has great atmosphere THATS IT. Combat MEchanics suck ass driving isnt that great. The missions get repetitive after the first couple of hours. The atmosphere makes up for alot of that but the core gameplay is nothing that cant be beaten.

Im not saying SAints row will have better gameplay but its not like GTA is some untouchable sandbox game. Hell the havoc Physics engine alone make saints row seem alot of fun interms of fooling around with gameplay.

Missions not varied?
A lot more varied than I most games really.
Early on, it's usually quite boring missionwise, but later on you get some crazy missions that are just a lot of fun to do. Also the combat mechanics and driving are fine imho. (on PC anyway). Also the crazy characters and humour bring a lot to the game, and that's more than just atmosphere.

And why do people keep saying GTA is a sandbox game? A sandbox game has no purpose other than one you make for yourself. And I'm quite sure all the 3D GTA games have clear purposes. You just have a free world to roam around in, but it's hardly a sandbox. And just shooting stuff and watching it blow up with no purpose to it other than the shooting itself does get quite boring for me. And physics won't change that one bit.

If Saint's Row does turn out to be awesome, I doubt it's the singleplayer, multiplayer however could be quite a bit of fun.

What I would personally like to see is a GTA-clone that's focused on 2 characters instead of one. In the singleplayer you would control one character and the CPU would control the other, and in multiplayer you'd simply have co-op. That way you'd get the benefits of well scripted missions as well as multiplayer fun. Much better than 'destroy this much', 'kill eachother' or 'pimp this many hoes' :)lol)

ZombieSupaStar said:
so many bitter people in this thread

I <3 gta

I hope saints row is decent, I need a tide me over till nov 07

and rag dolls wont do I busted that gaming nut over half life 2, years ago.

so has everyone else

I believe the signifigance in this case though, is the fact that its been implemented into a sandbox/urban type game ala GTA....because before, none of these kinds of games had physics like this, if at all....

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This has always looked like a next-gen GTA, and does everything that GTA does much better - AND it has online play...

How could anyone NOT want this?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Vrolokus said:
So what do people buy Madden games for? Sisyphusian allegory?

And wouldn't GTA have to have "brilliant satire" (or satire period) to be popular on that basis?
Answer my question.

HomShaBom said:
Prove it. How do you know this? From videos? :lol :lol :lol :lol

how do you know it wont?:p

its not far fetched to believe someone is capable to improve upon the core gameplay mechanics in GTA games.

HomShaBom

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
how do you know it wont?:p

its not far fetched to believe someone is capable to improve upon the core gameplay mechanics in GTA games.

Maybe it will. But you guys are acting like this is megaton urban game of the century. Talk about hype...

Kabuki Waq said:

It's not, he was replying to someone that said it does everything GTA does and much better than GTA does it. I'd say that's far fetched.

nah the video does make the game look really fun tho with all teh explosions and phsyics going around.

no reason to really hate on it that i see. Sure it could turn out to be the next true crime shovelware game but this video makes me optimistic.

ALSO KEITH ****ING DAVID is in the game. That alone is a huge plus IMO.

SolidSnakex said:
It's not, he was replying to someone that said it does everything GTA does and much better than GTA does it. I'd say that's far fetched.

so what? remember what you implied Tekken 6 would look like :p

but yea SAints row might not do everything better but if it has better gameplay mechanics and missions it could end up being a better game.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
HomShaBom said:
Prove it. How do you know this? From videos? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Why yes, from videos and impressions only...

It looks a hell of alot better graphically...

The weapons system is done a hell of alot better...

Camera is done a hell of alot better...

Lighting and shadowing is done a hell of alot better...

Driving is a hell of alot better...

Drive-bys are a hell of alot better...

Going indoors is no longer a loading chore...

Physics are a hell of alot better... (this covers cars flipping, reactions from crashes, running people over, shooting people etc.)

Explosions are a hell of alot better...

City loading (no pop-ins) is a hell of alot better...

And now that I was able to watch this new video (temporarily on a slow connection), the little things like warping to the shore when swimming, using the D-pad and so on as well...

Imagine when I actually get to play the game, there's probably much more I could come up with too - in fact, I could probably go on now still...

I don't see what's so hard to believe anyways - GTA has been around for so long, they took that game and improved the good and the bad...

Vrolokus

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Why are you comparing a 2004 PS2 game to a yet to be released 360 title? I mean, graphics are a lot better!?!! GREAT SLEUTHING THERE SHERLOCK.

It's a GTA-style game, what else is he going to compare it to?

Tony HoTT

Banned
WTF looks exactly like GTA only completely uninteresting. And they disgraced a ****ing Rakim song by playing it over that shit sucking gameplay.

It isn't non-games destroying our beloved gaming industry it's uninspired shit like this that should have been left behind last gen. Maybe I can see the shittiness of this game because I'm not a 360 owner and I'm not clamoring for any semi decent game to come to the system so I see things you people don't... I don't know. But what I do know is that once this game comes out and it sucks you guys will regard me as some sort of leader and a prophet, only I'll be unwilling to take that kind of repsonsibility, but I will warm up to the idea once you guys lift me up and start parading me around chanting my name. Then I will cum in your faces!

But point is: we shouldn't be excited for uninspired shit like this even if it has cool looking explosions and a the whole game has been coated in that next-gen shiny material. I didn't see anything in the trailer that made this game looked like it was using its next-gen'ness to offer something that the GTA games didn't already offer last generation so don't give me that "We are just excited because it's a next-gen sandbox game dude wtf it could be good" bullshit.

COCKLES

being watched
Pretty generic stuff. I did like some of the AI though - with characters crouching behind obstacles and stuff.

Xenon

- Solid look of the game
- you can swim
- the weapon select ala Oblivion
- people climbing fences to get away

Dislike

- gansta pistol grip
- cars stopping in front of the dude or swirving out of his way
- empty look of the city

Mrbob

Video isn't too exciting. Things seem a little barren, and frame rate is shoddy.

X360 gamers are waiting for Crackdown.

hgplayer1

looks fun to me. I think Id definitely be interested in playing it if I knew it was going to be as long as GTA:SA. I dont think I ever finished that game but I liked it a lot.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Red Blaster said:
Why are you comparing a 2004 PS2 game to a yet to be released 360 title? I mean, graphics are a lot better!?!! GREAT SLEUTHING THERE SHERLOCK.

I don't recall talking to you - I was asked to define what I meant by *everything*, and I did... graphics being one of the many things on that list - if you don't understand what's going on, stay out of it...

Top Bottom