• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row - New Trailer

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i like how the guys pants are above his belly button. this game looks like dog dookie

mikeGFG

Banned
Tony HoTT said:
But point is: we shouldn't be excited for uninspired shit like this even if it has cool looking explosions and a the whole game has been coated in that next-gen shiny material. I didn't see anything in the trailer that made this game looked like it was using its next-gen'ness to offer something that the GTA games didn't already offer last generation so don't give me that "We are just excited because it's a next-gen sandbox game dude wtf it could be good" bullshit.

You aren't excited because your standards are too high. I yet to see any recent 360 game make me say "Holy shit.. NEXT GEN AM HERE", and I dont get apprehensive about it either. I'm satisfied with progressively better games during the generation. These huge 'next-gen' leaps across every genre aren't realistic.

What I see in Saint's Row is the technically superior sandbox game. (..and I dont think I need to babysit you with all the reasons why if you watched the video.)

Shame on me for investing some faith in a new franchise, but PSP GTA ports aren't going to hold my interest until next fall.

It all boils down to whether or not you consider GTA to be a game or, at this point a genre. After all, NBA Live and 2KWHATEVA are just as much the same game as Saints and GTA are.

I'm Voting For Genre.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You can have the biggest city of any game but if its not fun to play in then it fails. It's probably the biggest fault in every GTA clone. They just aren't fun to drive in which is what alot of GTA fans spend their time doing when they don't feel like doing a mission.

I think the biggest strength of the GTA series was that it was PLAYABLE (I was just replaying Vice City a few days ago and the missions were for all intents and purposes, totally dumbass simple which is not a bad thing at all and PALATABLE), the characters and vehicles control well enough to be fun, graphically the Getaway was superior, and some might like the story better but its gameplay mechanics was broken and found not enjoyable by some people (the stubborn adherence to the no-map philosophy and the somewhat clunky controls basically ruined what could have been a really compelling experience). Story-wise the GTA series has some good writing as well which keeps stringing the player along, I can't imagine playing something like GTA and not liking the characters or story.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Mike G.E.D. said:
You aren't excited because your standards are too high. I yet to see any recent 360 game make me say "Holy shit.. NEXT GEN AM HERE", and I dont get apprehensive about it either. I'm satisfied with progressively better games during the generation. These huge 'next-gen' leaps across every genre aren't realistic.

What I see in Saint's Row is the technically superior sandbox game. (..and I dont think I need to babysit you with all the reasons why if you watched the video.)

Shame on me for investing some faith in a new franchise, but PSP GTA ports aren't going to hold my interest until next fall.

haha new franchise. just admit you are only interested cause its on the xbox360.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
That just goes to show though that its not easy to just put together everything that makes GTA great. You might improve on an area or 2, others have done it, but then fail in others and it just brings the entire game to its knees. True Crime was seen as having a better combat engine than the GTA's, but you rarely if ever see someone saying that those games are even comparable GTA overall. Because they really aren't. GTA just manages to blend everything from gameplay to story to atmosphere better than any other games like it (and better than most games in general). The trailers for each of the games do a good job of showing that

San Andreas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8m65o-PfRQ

Saints Row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39otj2zLv8E

I loved it when James Woods' character snuck behind CJ and tried to strangle him, it was hilarious, SA had some really awesome moments, Woozie was simply brilliant. The thing I like about the GTA games was that they never try to be cool or hip, it was never about "bling-bling", the missions all had crazy characters involved in them, that's what made them so interesting, even though the actual missions were actually really repetitive to be honest.

mikeGFG

Banned
sp0rsk said:
haha new franchise. just admit you are only interested cause its on the xbox360.

Well of fcuking course, but my points are still valid.

I really liked the E3 build and I'll be shocked if the final game isn't fun as hell.

bengraven

**** it, I love GTA for all it's flaws. Saint's Row looks like ass, though and I'll only be playing it because it's GTA with less charm and a better physics engine. It will still be ass, though.

And short. 35 missions and a few side missions? Nah. Please hit $40 soon, Saint's Row.

RumFore

Banned
What makes GTA significantly better than these clones is that its about alot more than just being a ganster. Your basically role playing Scarface to a "T", the most perfect game adaption of a movie if GTA was based on it. You go from being a nothing to the strongest link in a crimianl orgianization and at same time a business man buying property, cars etc. For me the biggest draw of GTA is how diverse and intergratd the crimnal activites are. Its not just run and gun, talking shit all the way through. One mission your burning weed with a hippi the next chopping up a butcher or sky diving into some army base. GTA is like a great, great action RPG and I hope they integrate alot more of those side activities we saw in GTA: SA.

Kittonwy

Banned
RumpledForeskin said:
What makes GTA significantly better than these clones is that its about alot more than just being a ganster. Your basically role playing Scarface to a "T", the most perfect game adaption of a movie if GTA was based on it. You go from being a nothing to the strongest link in a crimianl orgianization and at same time a business man buying property, cars etc. For me the biggest draw of GTA is how diverse and intergratd the crimnal activites are. Its not just run and gun, talking shit all the way through. One mission your burning weed with a hippi the next chopping up a butcher or sky diving into some army base. GTA is like a great, great action RPG and I hope they integrate alot more of those side activities we saw in GTA: SA.

I like the importance-building, but what I liked about GTA (at least Vice City and San Andreas) was the main character himself, I really don't like all this "build your own gangster" thing (I'm not an advocate of make your own character at all) because part of the appeal is playing as a somewhat likeable guy who just gets dragged into one event after another, meeting interesting wackos along the way, the sandbox gameplay itself is really just secondary, a lot of the time the missions were pretty much just assassinations or fetch quests. The GTA people write very good characters, I think that's something that a good game in the sandbox genre needs, smart writing, rather than pimping the voice-cast, blowing shit up, or pimp the "bling-bling", that's missing the whole point of what made GTA good.
bunny.gif

Liquid

Banned
please. the first 2 things i will try to do in saints row is 1, try to create myself and 2, try to create the guy from GTA3. :lol The main reason I liked GTA3 and the reason its the best GTA IMO is the layout and urban style, which saints row seems to duplicate and improve VERY well, and the CHAOS!!!! In Vice and SA, causing trouble wasnt nearly as fun because a, the city layout sucked and b, they broke it. I mean trying to run from cops in GTA3 was an awesome experience in itself and it was just busted in the other 2. That saints row vid shows GTA3 style chaos maxxed the hell out and looks amazing. Anyone comparing this game to true crimes is just out of their skull.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Agent Icebeezy said:
You've played this, can you hold two guns at once?
Nope, haven't seen that at all - but anyone who played the game at E3 would be able to tell you the same thing. The build I've been playing for the last month is pretty solid gameplay-wise...I'm still deciding how I feel about the storyline. :p

Vrolokus said:
"And wouldn't GTA have to have "brilliant satire" (or satire period) to be popular on that basis?"
If you can't see the satirical streak running through the entire GTA series (2D and beyond), I can't help you, son.

Fusebox

Banned
Was anyone else sick of seeing everybody firing their gun in the exact same sideways pose by the end of that clip? The gang members who strafed right past the player as he was laying down automatic fire seemed a bit daft too. Great explosions though.

Definitely worth a rental at least.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Fusebox said:
Was anyone else sick of seeing everybody firing their gun in the exact same sideways pose by the end of that clip? The gang members who strafed right past the player as he was laying down automatic fire seemed a bit daft too. Great explosions though.

Definitely worth a rental at least.

Especially the overweight white main character with his pants hitched up to his armpits.
keepin it gangsta'

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Skilotonn said:
City loading (no pop-ins) is a hell of alot better...

ORLY
bscap022.jpg

bscap023.jpg

They are coping this game so much from the original GTA on PS2 that they even included bushes & trees popping up 20 feet in front of you!

mikeGFG

Banned
Fusebox said:
Was anyone else sick of seeing everybody firing their gun in the exact same sideways pose by the end of that clip?
SaintsRow.jpg

"SAINT'S ROW BITCH"

3.jpg

"You held it sideways, and used the muzzle jump to create a horizontal sweep; that was impressive."

Rody

Personally, I think the next GTA is going to make this game look like SHIT. Yes, I said it.

By the way, the sounds of the engines suck, the city is not interesting (at least that is what the videos have shown so far), and the main character is... well... Mr. Nobody.
No charisma FTL!

I think that, besides what everyone else has mentioned, one thing that really sets GTA apart is the cities, based on real-life locations, yet fictional. And with funny names ("Windy, Windy, Windy, Windy St.", "Big Pointy Building, etc. Priceless). =D

FTWer said:
ORLY
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/wtfer/bscap022.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v722/wtfer/bscap023.jpg

They are coping this game so much from the original GTA on PS2 that they even included bushes & trees popping up 20 feet in front of you!

:lol

Kittonwy

Banned
FTWer said:
ORLY
bscap022.jpg

bscap023.jpg

Holy smoke the LOD needs work for sure.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
That just goes to show though that its not easy to just put together everything that makes GTA great. You might improve on an area or 2, others have done it, but then fail in others and it just brings the entire game to its knees. True Crime was seen as having a better combat engine than the GTA's, but you rarely if ever see someone saying that those games are even comparable GTA overall. Because they really aren't. GTA just manages to blend everything from gameplay to story to atmosphere better than any other games like it (and better than most games in general). The trailers for each of the games do a good job of showing that

San Andreas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8m65o-PfRQ

Saints Row
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39otj2zLv8E

Guys this is a pretty good point. The SA trailer is way better imo.

bengraven

Rody said:
Personally, I think the next GTA is going to make this game look like SHIT. Yes, I said it.

By the way, the sounds of the engines suck, the city is not interesting (at least that is what the videos have shown so far), and the main character is... well... Mr. Nobody.
No charisma FTL!

I think that, besides what everyone else has mentioned, one thing that really sets GTA apart is the cities, based on real-life locations, yet fictional. And with funny names ("Windy, Windy, Windy, Windy St.", "Big Pointy Building, etc. Priceless). =D

:lol

Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you. You should re-word this to sound more intelligent so I can stop being embarassed. :lol

The thing about this game, though, that seems to tide over most supporters is that this is basically a bridge to the next GTA.

The problem is, that this game looks corny. The shooting looks AS BAD as GTA and yet it's a dual-stick third person control scheme like Mercenaries or a first person shooter. A FPS scheme should automatically improve over a auto-targeting system like the first three GTAs, but my god, it still looks hard to aim.

The dialogue is balls (I'm really hoping Keith David is brought in for re-dubbing, because his character looks and sounds like the slain leader from The Warriors.."can you dig it?"...and he's a much better actor than that).

You know, I could keep going, but I won't. I just want this game to be above average. Because I wanna be a gangSTA once again...

This is one of the best efforts I've seen to completely copy a game. I mean they've even copied the way the game sounds. It's really pathetic if you think about it, but a damn good job to capture (aka steal) the GTA feeling.

Rody

bengraven said:
Wow, I can't believe I'm agreeing with you.

What do you mean by that?

bengraven said:
You should re-word this to sound more intelligent so I can stop being embarassed. :lol

Hmmm, sorry. The thing is, seeing the trailers of both games (above) got me a little upset. I mean, come on.
Besides, english is not even my native language so I have a little trouble expressing myself on the correct form. I think you can tell that hehe.

bengraven

Rody said:
What do you mean by that?

Hmmm, sorry. The thing is, seeing the trailers of both games (above) got me a little upset. I mean, come on.
Besides, english is not even my native language so I have a little trouble expressing myself on the correct form. I think you can tell that hehe.

I apologize. English is my native language and I speak it terribly as well. I was just having a hard time understanding your post. If it makes you feel better, I used "balls" as an adjective and proved how much of a hypocrite I am. :lol

bengraven

momolicious said:
lol this game causes so much controversy among GAF

And watch, within a few weeks, after shitty review scores and low sales, the game disappears forever to only be brought up in occasional threads.

bengraven said:
And watch, within a few weeks, after shitty review scores and low sales, the game disappears forever to only be brought up in occasional threads.

Or watch when it gets decent review scores and sells okay as people like you continue to tell everyone else why they shouldn't enjoy this game.

bengraven

i think this will appeal to the weed-smoking, beer-bonging, eminem listening suburban thugs.

i think that was the goal.

I agree. It already looks fairly corny from that perspective.

Francias Castiglione said:
Or watch when it gets decent review scores and sells okay as people like you continue to tell everyone else why they shouldn't enjoy this game.

I want to enjoy this game. I just have my fears from what I've seen.

My line about people forgetting this game was simply a humored anecdote referring to this game being controversial within NeoGAF and "what if" the game turned out to be shit.

As I said earlier, I want a new GTA-like game to play as soon as possible. It looks fun, there's just some things I hope they end up getting right so I don't have a short, unenjoyable time.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is it true there is a hot coffee-ish prison rape scene involving Fat Joe and Old Dirty Bastard?

Electrii

Looks like a shitty, thugged out GTA ripoff with poser characters and no personality.

...yeah, it's going to sell like hot shit. :/

Top Bottom