• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai confirms Smash trailer at E3 direct!

Neiteio

I want to play as Pac-Man and human cannonball myself into opponents yelling "PACH-ATTACK" while spouting various sales projections that don't pan out.

Neiteio

Pac-Man could tuck his arms and legs and WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA horizontally and vertically, he could gobble up enemies, he could belch up ghosts, he could spitfire pellets, he could impose a neon maze on the screen and chase everyone through it for his Final Smash. He could be an AWESOME character.

And imagine: Pac-Man vs. DK, two arcade legends fight at last! Not to mention he's been in two arcade Mario Karts, and his Pac-Man Vs. game is like one of Shiggy's favorite creations ever.
Man, what an amazing idea.

Whoever wrote the quoted above is a wonderful person.

#PacMan4Smash2013

FlyFaster

about Samus

She is currently ranked 32nd on the tier list, due to the huge nerf to her projectiles and KOing power from Super Smash Bros. Melee, resulting in poor matchups against most characters. However, she is a mid-point between light and heavy characters, and her moves can deal extremely high damage if well used, due to how well they combo into each other; she is seemingly unpredictable in battle, as she can very easily wipe out most heavy characters as well as light ones, like Fox or Falco, though she can be easily KO'd by a medium character, like herself, Ness, Lucas, and Wolf. Her Final Smash has one of the largest range/hit-area, and is one of the strongest of them all, usually ending in a KO on whomever is hit by it regardless of their damage. Although she is overall slightly slower than in Melee, she is still an agile heavyweight, being the seventh heaviest character.

Is this info still current/relevant?

:(

edit: taken from http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Samus_(SSBB)

Instro

I have a great idea for which Namco characters should be in...

NONE OF THEM.

Mtp81L9.jpg

Do it Namco.

Servbot24

Banned
But you said you were speaking as a hypothetical Bamco employee. So how does that all of a sudden mean that you know people think he's boring, particularly an employee of the company?

I didn't say I know, I said I would guess that. For all I know the people who work there think Pac-man is a really awesome character. I feel like more people would find Lloyd, Klonoa, KOS-MOS, etc to be a more fun character to work with.

I didn't say I know, I said I would guess that. For all I know the people who work there think Pac-man is a really awesome character. I feel like more people would find Lloyd, Klonoa, KOS-MOS, etc to be a more fun character to work with.

So you were basing your assertion off of absolutely nothing? Well ok then!
The Smash Bros. Wiki is never relevant (although in that paragraph it's sort of right, except instead of slightly slower it's MUCH slower and I think she dropped in the tier list as well).

Go to Smashboards if you want an in-depth character analysis.

I'd feel bad for Miles here since we used to be pals, but All is Brawl is a cesspool and he knows it.

Servbot24

Banned
Those people are awful.

Not really. Pac-man is basically a ball with legs. What fun is that to put in a fighting game? Whether you like those other characters or not, they have much more to draw from for a move set, and would be more fun to animate.

Of course Smash Bros is more about history than being cool, I was simply making a minor point that will likely not have a whole lot of bearing on anything.

So you were basing your assertion off of absolutely nothing? Well ok then!

Are you baiting me or something dude? It was an off-hand, innocent, speculative comment. Chill.

MisterHero

After Pac-Man, I want either Mitsurugi, Siegfried, Yoshimitsu, or Marshall Law.

Having a Bruce Lee derivative is fighting game tradition.

We have a few swordsman but no samurai either. Maybe Takamaru can show up. lol Samurai Goroh

Neiteio

I don't understand how anyone could hate on Pac-Man. Yeah, he's trying to "find himself" at the moment, but he is one of the great-granddaddies of videogames, an iconic figure beloved by generations the world over. He evokes brick-and-mortar pizzerias and smoky boardwalk arcades, the smell of fresh-baked pizza and the clink of ice cubes in fogged red glasses full of Coke. He's adorable, a perfect golden sphere made out of videogame magic. Someday he'll find his current-gen footing, probably in a return to his maze-based roots, a 2D franchise revival not unlike the New! Super Mario Bros. series. Until then, we as gamers must pay respects to Pac-Man's legacy. He deserves a spot on the Smash Bros. roster. Absolutely.

EDIT: Whoa tits

Village

I don't understand how anyone could hate on Pac-Man. Yeah, he's trying to "find himself" at the moment, but he is one of the great-granddaddies of videogames, an iconic figure beloved by generations the world over. He evokes brick-and-mortar pizzerias and smoky boardwalk arcades, the smell of fresh-baked pizza and the clink of ice cubes in fogged red glasses full of Coke. He's adorable, a perfect golden sphere made out of videogame magic. Someday he'll find his current-gen footing, probably in a return to his maze-based roots, a 2D franchise revival not unlike the New! Super Mario Bros. series. Until then, we as gamers must pay respects to Pac-Man's legacy. He deserves a spot on the Smash Bros. roster. Absolutely.

EDIT: Whoa tits

Because outside the contains of his games, unless he is attached to another character he is boring.

Ezalc

Not really. Pac-man is basically a ball with legs. What fun is that to put in a fighting game? Whether you like those other characters or not, they have much more to draw from for a move set, and would be more fun to animate.

Of course Smash Bros is more about history than being cool, I was simply making a minor point that will likely not have a whole lot of bearing on anything.

Kirby and Jigglypuff are both balls with legs. Pac-man has a lot of moveset potential you just need to be creative with it, and you can draw from all of his different games from the decades. His most iconic move would be the "waka waka" bite, which I feel like Neiteio described a perfect way to use. Then there are the Pac-man world games, pac n' roll, and even that one terrible SNES pac-man which you could use for reference. You just need to look into it and not dismiss him on the basis of his looks. If Captain Falcon, a character that had absolutely zero in terms of moveset was able to get one, nothing stops Pac-man somebody with way more potential to get in. Especially given his history.

Neiteio knows what's up.

Village

Kirby and Jigglypuff are both balls with legs. Pac-man has a lot of moveset potential you just need to be creative with it, and you can draw from all of his different games from the decades. His most iconic move would be the "waka waka" bite, which I feel like Neiteio described a perfect way to use. Then there are the Pac-man world games, pac n' roll, and even that one terrible SNES pac-man which you could use for reference. You just need to look into it and not dismiss him on the basis of his looks. If Captain Falcon, a character that had absolutely zero in terms of moveset was able to get one, nothing stops Pac-man somebody with way more potential to get in. Especially given his history.

Neiteio knows what's up.

To be honest I do not think pac man would draw a crowd, as far as hype goes.

Servbot24

Banned
Because outside the contains of his games, unless he is attached to another character he is boring.

I'm just wondering what his move set would be. Obviously his forward smash attack would be a chomp, maybe he could have a roll attack like Yoshi does, he could spit out dots at people... aside from that it would just be typical punches and butt stomps. As pointed out above, Captain Falcon works just fine in the game so there's no reason Pac-man couldn't. It just isn't super inspiring to think about.

Neiteio

Pac-Man could be so fun.

He could throw himself around like a human cannonball, and dribble his body like a basketball.

He could pull in his arms and legs and WAKKA WAKKA WAKKA across the screen in the direction you tilt -- you could even change direction mid-air, but only in 90-degree increments (so he'd WAKKA straight horizontal, but then you want to pursue a foe jumping away, so you WAKKA straight vertical).

He could have a chomp and chew attack. He could belch out strings of ghosts that would home in on opponents. He could spitfire pellets like a machine gun.

He could impose a glowing neon maze on the screen for his Final Smash, chasing his foes as they run and hop up and down the passageways, trying to avoid a OHKO.

And he could have a slutty Ms. Pac-Man alt skin.

Village

Besides Sonic and Snake, do you think any "new challenger" ever has done that?

I mean, he'd certainly be more recognizable than Metaknight.

And yes he has to bring hype because he is a 3rd party character, his whole thing has to be hype because he has to get people who wouldn't normally buy this game, to buy this game. Pac man isn't doing that.

L Thammy

If Pac-Man was in Smash, he'd probably have a nose and legs.
The Pac-Man most people recognize does not have a nose or legs.

Neiteio

And yes he has to bring hype because he is a 3rd party character, his whole thing has to be hype because he has to get people who wouldn't normally buy this game, to buy this game. Pac man isn't doing that.

To children actually kirby did have a cartoon for a while.
Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable videogame characters in the WORLD. The hardest of the hardcore might not take to him like they took to Snake (
that's what Bayonetta's for
), but when you're playing this game at parties I can easily picture casual girls and such looking at the roster and instantly going, "Oh, it's Pac-Man, lol!"

SkyOdin

Namco has all sorts of possibilites for Smash representatives and no clear stand out examples. Let's go over a few.

1) Pac-Man
As one of gaming's most iconic characters from one of the biggest games of all time, Pac-Man should appear in some form. However, Pac-Man is not necessarily that great of choice as a character. In his original, and most recognizable, form, all he does is move in four directions and eat. While he has been in other games that have given him arms and legs, none of those have been particularly notable.

I say he is best used in an Assist Trophy or Stage. Heck, the classic Pac-Man maze itself is probably more important than the character himself. That way we get the ghosts, too.

2) The Tower of Druaga
The Tower of Druaga is one of Namco's ancient classics that they constantly reference. Everything from Soul Caliber costumes to Tales of.. series quiz games have made homage to this game. It has even gotten a PS2 sequel and an anime series. Gameplay wise, it is arguably the ancestor of the Legend of Zelda series.

The main character, Gilgamesh, would probably play similar to Link, except with Jet Boots instead of spin-slashing.

3) The Tales of... franchise
Probably one of Namco's biggest franchises. The most likely candidates for appearing in Smash Bros. would be characters from Tales of Phantasia, Symphonia, or Graces. Of those, the most likely are Lloyd Irving and Cress. You can expect Demon Slashes from either one. Certainly possible.

4) Tekken
Not likely. Most of the games are on Arcade or PlayStation platforms.

5) Soul Calibur
Slightly more likely than Tekken, but not by a lot. My man Nightmare would be my bet from this series. We could use more evil in the game.

6) Klonoa
Klonoa hasn't had many games, and not too recently, but is one of the best fits thematically with Nintendo's characters. Klonoa has a pretty decent movelist as well.

7) Baten Kaitos
A series that appeared exclusively on the Gamecube and developed by Monolith Soft. It is not a major title in their catalogue, but is a significant one for Nintendo and one of its current studios. It would be a good fit if a Xenoblade representative made it in.

8) Xenosaga
Xenosaga Episode 1 and II was on the DS, so the series qualifies. KOS-MOS would definitely be the representative, given her fondness for cameos and cross-overs. Also developed by Monolith Soft, so it has the same connection that Baten Kaitos does.

9) Everything else
There are Wonder Momo, Dig-Dug, that Legend of Valkyrie game, and a bunch of other series that keep showing up in cross-over games, but I think most of them are less likely. Okay, Legend of Valkyrie seems somewhat likely, given that it is referenced about as much as Tower of Druaga in random Namco cameos. But if I don't cut this post off here, I will be up all night.

My bet is still on Klonoa. I wouldn't mind Gilgamesh, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Was that Smash-like Digimon game back on GC any good? I only played it once and didn't get a feel for it.

Rumble Arena 2 was kinda crap because it felt unbalanced. I think the pseudo-fighter Rumble Arena is better.

I'd rather have Commandramon than Shoutmon. Then his Final Smash could have him Warp Digivolve into Darkdramon (AKA the best Digimon).

but he's no protag!

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
No inferior fighting game franchises represented in Smash please. Thanks for listening.

P.S. Tekken is boring.

Ezalc

Pac-man has a really broad appeal. Hardcore know him and so does anybody who did any sort of casual gaming. It's a franchise with a lot of history, and if people can't see the value in that then it's just fucking sad man.

9) Everything else
There are Wonder Momo, Dig-Dug, that Legend of Valkyrie game, and a bunch of other series that keep showing up in cross-over games, but I think most of them are less likely. Okay, Legend of Valkyrie seems somewhat likely, given that it is referenced about as much as Tower of Druaga in random Namco cameos. But if I don't cut this post off here, I will be up all night.

I forgot about Dig-Dug. Imagining his grappling throws makes me want this character most out of their line-up! With a Mr. Driller assist trophy!

Village

Pac-Man is one of the most recognizable videogame characters in the WORLD. The hardest of the hardcore might not take to him like they took to Snake (
that's what Bayonetta's for
), but when you're playing this game at parties I can easily picture casual girls and such looking at the roster and instantly going, "Oh, it's Pac-Man, lol!"

Eh sonic brought hype, snake brought hype, the other guy has to bring something.

No that isn't what bayo is for, that would require icon status. She aint got that yet.

Pac-man has a really broad appeal. Hardcore know him and so does anybody who did any sort of casual gaming. It's a franchise with a lot of history, and if people can't see the value in that then it's just fucking sad man.

You know another franchise with a lot history megaman. You being in some good games back in the day does not make people care about you now, the megaman franchise along with the pac man franchise has learned this. But unlike megaman who could bring some type of hype to this, pac man would bring none.

he would just be there.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Why isn't Pac-Man Vs. on the Wii U yet? That game is gold! It showers you with gold, not pee, actual gold. It's a refreshing golden shower.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
For the record despite being a Star Fox fan and being fine with Assault and Adventures, I do not condone Krystal!

No, but he's one of the main villains of the manga and the fugly BioDarkdramon was ShineGreymon's "rival battle" in Savers!

Seriously though, how do you make Darkdramon look uncool? X_x

By ripping off Omegamon but instead of WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon you use Darkdramon and BanchoLeomon!

tumblr_m9fu4xPXN41qjmuqfo1_400.jpg

Why isn't Pac-Man Vs. on the Wii U yet? That game is gold! It showers you with gold, not pee, actual gold. It's a refreshing golden shower.

An excellent question. It should really be an eShop title (with added online and voice chat), considering they finally made it so there's no additional hardware needed.

Top Bottom