• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai should take a break from Smash

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like to see Sakurai take a break from Smash and work on Kid Icarus Uprisings 2 or whole new IP. I consider original Kid Icarus Uprising as one of the best and most polished game in handheld and I kind of feel is waste of Sakurai’s talent to keep making Smash. His very talented designer and like to see him making new game instead of just working on Smash.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
A new Kid Icarus would be pretty killer. Yeah, where's more of that?
There's a guy outside shouting "GOD DAMMIT" and "FUCK" and I wonder what's up. I'm not gonna go find out cuz he's probably just another drunk college kid. It's probably got nothing to do with Sakurai.

Porcile

Sakurai wants to make Smash games though, and besides, the next game in the series is likely going to have to be a reboot of some sorts which I'm sure is already in the planning stages.

Zannegan

The way I think about Sakurai's approach is, he takes a genre he's interested in, breaks it down to the most basic fun element(s), and then builds it back up from there without respect to genre conventions. (NOTE: I think I read this in an interview somewhere, Iwata Asks, maybe?)

Smash was his take on fighting games, Kirby's Air Ride on kart racers, Kid Icarus on shooters/shmups, and I guess you could even say Kirby makes some real departures from your standard platformer. These projects have varying degrees of success, but they're all interesting and do a lot to shake things up.

All that to say, I agree. I'd love to see his take on more platformers. Smash seems pretty finished at this point. A gifted successor could take over the reins, at least for one game, and free Sakurai up to try something new, which is where his gifts really lie.

As for KI, Uprising needs an HD remake, either on the Switch or its successor (if the successor has better motion-tracking than a gyro). Get one of the smaller studios on that, Grezzo maybe, and try for a sequel after that.

Last edited:

Tigerlord

The way I see it, as long as Smash is Sakurai's passion project and Nintendo pays the bills, he will be on Smash for a while.
When he's done he will work on new projects. What they are, we will not know 'till they are revealed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
All that to say, I agree. I'd love to see his take on more platformers. Smash seems pretty finished at this point. A gifted successor could take over the reins, at least for one game, and free Sakurai up to try something new, which is where his gifts really lie.
That kind of how I feel, the guy did everything he could for Smash and love to see him put his talent in different type of games.
The way I see it, as long as Smash is Sakurai's passion project and Nintendo pays the bills, he will be on Smash for a while.
When he's done he will work on new projects. What they are, we will not know 'till they are revealed.
Well if he still passionate about Smash then he can keep working on it but I just hope he get passionate about making different type of game other than Smash.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Meteos and Kid Icarus Uprising really show how much unmined talent is in this creator.

Not that that isn’t showing on Smash, which is of course brilliant. It’s just that after the two largest installments of Smash in a row, I feel satiated. I want to see him stretch his wings now, and make brand new games, or explore some of those more unique ideas with sequels.

Shaqazooloo

I would like him to work on the Kid Icarus: Uprising sequel but we still have another decade before we're supposed to get that.

Ikutachi

I wanted to love Kid Icarus: Uprising but I'm among the people whose hands hurt from its controls. It can really benefit from a rerelease.

Smasher89

Sure, he should reboot Ice climber, race to thw top with alot lore players with a ton of crazy stiff happening, items and changed parameters, it could be very fun given the sakurai treatment.

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'd love to see him work on a proper expansion to World of Light. I'm probably alone in that but I think it's the best thing about the new game (I suck at online).

Last edited:
Top Bottom