• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai's Famitsu Column: Bayonetta, Corrin, Development Ended

Seik

Banned
I'm glad the man can finally rest for a while, he was putting his everything in Smash's development.

Rest, my man, you deserved it!

How would they do that without Sakurai? It'd be a bit weird to move on without him on a port of an older game.

They might not need to.

If the NX port comes out in mid 2017/Early Summer (which seems entirely possible), that's a full year of development, which is plenty of time for Sakurai to take several months off, before coming back to the port.

With a small DLC team, they managed to make 7 characters, 9 stages (and 1 stage port to the 3DS), and a bunch of Mii costumes in a year.

With a larger porting team, one year could manage at least a few characters and stages, in addition to the porting work.

Honestly I can accept no more new characters, I'd just like for them to finish the DLC characters properly in the NX port. Give them custom moves, fix their CSS placements, and give them their own Palutena Guidances (they still have the voice actors going off the bayo trailer).

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
so bayonetta and corrin are staying the way they are? and samus is staying gutter trash?

word, I guess i've had my fill of this game then. I'm not gonna sit here and play Bayonetta Bros. For Wii U for the next couple of years, fuck that. So thanks for the good times Sak & co, and may you one day come to grasp the notion of balance.

lol wow

relax

so bayonetta and corrin are staying the way they are? and samus is staying gutter trash?

word, I guess i've had my fill of this game then. I'm not gonna sit here and play Bayonetta Bros. For Wii U for the next couple of years, fuck that. So thanks for the good times Sak & co, and may you one day come to grasp the notion of balance.

The general opinion is starting to shift towards Bayo being a good character, but not the best. Once the hype dies down, she'll probably settle towards the upper tiers, but not as an unstoppable force.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I wouldn't mind if one of his employees snuck into the building and did a quick balance patch.

i imagine all future patches and support will be shifted to the inevitable NX version?

Who the fuck knows

Nintendo is a damn iron fortress right now

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The game is pretty well balanced, I think patches are nice, but the game is basically bug free and people play a wide variety of characters at tournaments.

More than good enough.

DedValve

Banned

Thats a funny way to spell Shiek.

Hylian7

The game is pretty well balanced, I think patches are nice, but the game is basically bug free and people play a wide variety of characters at tournaments.

More than good enough.

Yeah, exactly. I think people really overstate the gap between the upper and lower tier characters. It really isn't as wide as many people believe. While Samus isn't ZSS or Sheik, she isn't "trash" like a lot of people say. Hell I honestly think she's more viable than Ganondorf, but even he can be useful.

Don't worry guys, I'm pretty sure the next patch will buff Samus!
;__;

Well at least Fox is staying how he is, so I'm happy with that.
They're not touching Bayonetta <3

More than good enough.

It mostly affects the most competitive of players

Especially in the presence of unfair exploits that can be abused

That said the community often self regulates so it wont stop tournaments from playing as they always do

Thats a funny way to spell Shiek.

The thing about Sheik is sometimes I wonder if Sheik really is this broken, overpowered character she's often portrayed as, or if Sheik's #1 player is just broken and overpowered, and Sheik is just really good.

She wins tons of tournaments, but it's a little hard to see if that's because of her, or because Zero is just so skilled at the game.

Raging Spaniard

It mostly affects the most competitive of players

Especially in the presence of unfair exploits that can be abused

That said the community often self regulates so it wont stop tournaments from playing as they always do

Yeah exactly, I dont need to stress out over the needs of the top 1% out of the top 1% of players

Getting Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta all in the same game is pretty bananas. Though I'm not sure what the DLC characters' chance of making it into the next game is.

Where does this sentiment that Corrin is overpowered come from? She's clearly not.

Getting Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud, and Bayonetta all in the same game is pretty bananas. Though I'm not sure what the DLC characters' chance of making it into the next game is.

Part of why I hope we really do get a GOTY version on NX is just because losing any part of the best newcomer lineup in the series's history would be a huge waste.

Even apart from that I feel pretty optimistic about the third-parties this time around. Capcom's the only one that I'd really say is up in the air since they've been kinda treading water for the past while, but given Sakurai's love for Mega Man and Street Fighter he'll do whatever he can to keep them around so the only thing blocking them would be a Konami-style bridge burning with the rest of the game industry. Bayonetta's staying as long as Sonic's staying and is practically a Nintendo character at this point, Pac-Man is iconic, and Cloud is friggin' Cloud.

Who was the dude that got put on BLAST after saying Bayo would never get in
This.

Roo

If anything, 3rd party characters are the only ones at "risk" but even then I'd say their chances are damn high.

For better or worse, you can't think of Bayonetta without thinking about Nintendo as well.
Now, the IP has more to do with Nintendo/Wii U than any other platform. So I don't think it would be a problem for them to ask for a new appearance for the next game.

Cloud was basically given away by SE to Sakurai the moment he asked them for Cloud and that was for DLC purposes. I don't think they'd say no to appear as a default character in the next game.

As for Ryu... he's Ryu. Nothing to worry about me thinks :p

Neiteio

Now that he's ascended to godhood after adding Bayonetta to Smash, I imagine Sakurai vacationing by sailing across the stars, creating new worlds teeming with life, visiting them as a messiah and granting them sentience. Then, after touring the multiverse and getting his wrist massaged by the airy spirits of Valhalla, he'll return to Earth to create Kid Icarus Uprising 2. This will be the point at which humanity achieves its full potential and evolves into the final race of men, the Sakuraites.

Lunar15

Now that he's ascended to godhood after adding Bayonetta to Smash, I imagine Sakurai vacationing by sailing across the stars, creating new worlds full of alien species, visiting them as a messiah and granting them sentience. Then, after touring the multiverse and getting his wrist massaged by the airy spirits of Valhalla, he'll return to Earth to create Kid Icarus Uprising 2. This will be the point at which humanity achieves its full potential and evolves into the new race of men, the Sakuraites.

Knowing Sakurai he's probably playing FE:Fates. Since he says he's played all of them, I just imagine it goes Smash > Play FE > Smash > Play FE > KI > Play FE > Smash

Yeah, I think the third parties we have right now will be fine unless their parent company goes off the deep end.

It has become apparent to me that we only lost Snake due to Konami going completely batshit insane. As long as Sega, Namco, Capcom and Square Enix don't go bugfuck crazy like they did, I think we'll be fine.

RedToad64

Knowing Sakurai he's probably playing FE:Fates. Since he says he's played all of them, I just imagine it goes Smash > Play FE > Smash > Play FE > KI > Play FE > Smash
I didn't know Sakurai plays Killer Instinct in-between his work.
I know you mean Kid Icarus.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The shitpost though lol

seriously tho I definitely won't be playing the game much anymore and it's not like I hate the game, it's just that all of my favorite characters are trash and can't keep up. Gotta work extra hard to get that win lol
As a Link main in 64 and Melee: lol

Yukinari

So i guess G&W and Wario will never get patched to be anywhere close to their Brawl iterations? Good to know.

But you know lets buff Roy cause he fucking needed it.

Dryk

Sakurai said:
The participants don't know this, but we did some monitor testing back home and actually the character that came out as being rated the highest, the most powerful so far, is Samus
Never forget

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
If there's no one working on the game, who's supposed to make the patches?

There will be no new content, but I'm pretty sure they'll still have some people on standby to support it, if they don't already have some already working on major fixes. In a multiplayer-focused game you need to be able to react to major bugs and exploits that pop up.

Zubz

Banned
Finally! Sakurai really needed that vacation; I'm, like, 90% sure that Smash 4's development did some permanent damage to his wrist, and I doubt the DLC process helped. He's definitely earned an extended break.

Regardless of whether or not Sakurai's involved, though, I'm still strongly holding the belief that Bandai Namco's working on an NX port of 4. Sakurai has a lot of good ideas, so I want to see him tackle something new when he gets back (Hopefully months from now)! And Smash 4 turned out fine, so I'd totally trust BN with Smash Bros. games in the future.

I don't really expect anymore content for smash 4. Still hoping we will get a port for NX combining the 3DS and wii U content.

What I'd really like to happen in Smash NX is for Olimar's alts gets the same treatment as Bowser Jr's.

Olimar
Louie
The President
Alph
Brittany
Charlie

I have a friend who can wreck with Samus. Can someone tell me why she's regarded as "gutter trash"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7CewcWnKs8

Top Bottom