• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai's Famitsu Column: Bayonetta, Corrin, Development Ended

I haven't bought all of the DLC characters...

How would you guys rank them in terms of most fun to play?

IMO Cloud, Corrin, Bayonetta, and Ryu are all by far the most fun and you can't go wrong with any of them. Lucas is a personal favourite though he may not be for everyone. Mewtwo is probably the one I come back to least unfortunately.

Unison

Nice... I do have Cloud and find him super-fun to use.

I'll get the rest... then get frustrated when they announce the NX complete version.

PK Gaming

Corrin > Bayonetta > Cloud > Roy > Lucas > Mewtwo > Ryu

In terms of inventiveness(ie: freshness of moveset, how unique they are, etc) i'd probably go

Bayonetta > Cloud > Ryu > Corrin > Roy > Mewtwo > Lucas

In terms of inventiveness(ie: freshness of moveset, how unique they, etc) i'd probably go

Bayonetta > Cloud > Ryu > Corrin > Roy > Mewtwo > Lucas

In this regard, why exactly is Roy ahead of Mewtwo? Mewtwo is a fully original character while Roy is obviously based on Marth.

PK Gaming

In this regard, why exactly is Roy ahead of Mewtwo? Mewtwo is a fully original character while Roy is obviously based on Marth.

Mewtwo's moveset was unchanged, whereas Roy got several changes that made revisiting the character worthwhile

Though I suppose that applies to Mewtwo after it got those buffs, haha

CronoShot

Could also wait for some balance mods to come out.

Smash 4 modding seems to be slowly taking off. Recently someone managed to give Link's Fierce Deity palette its own voice clips ala Robin and Bowser Jr./The Koopalings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8236HmLT73w

Ehh, PM being patched to infinity was one of my problems with the game. I feel like player-made patches would be overkill and try to fix every little thing.

I like the way Ninty patches Smash 4, I just wish there was a couple more to fix Jiggs and Samus.

Berordn

So...Corrin's counter...won't get nerfed...?

I think people are conflating "end of development" with "end of extended support." Just because the dev team disbanded doesn't mean they didn't pass off duties to another team to keep it stable.

It would be pretty reckless for anyone to release significant new content and not have any way to patch it. Nintendo and Bamco aren't total novices to this.

1. Mewtwo
2. Ryu
3. Corrin/Roy
4. Roy/Corrin
5. Cloud/Lucas
6. Lucas/Cloud
7. Bayonetta

I'm weird. I just do not fun Bayonetta fun to play at all. Not that she's a badly designed character or anything, just not my taste.

For some of the middle characters I can't really decide where they should go. Mewtwo is unquestionably my favorite DLC character and probably my favorite Smash character in general. He's basically Mewtwo from the movie and that makes him awesome.

Could also wait for some balance mods to come out.

Smash 4 modding seems to be slowly taking off. Recently someone managed to give Link's Fierce Deity palette its own voice clips ala Robin and Bowser Jr./The Koopalings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8236HmLT73w

I would have paid money for costume DLC for Link that made him look like Ocarina Link, and had that voice :/

Anteo

Hahahaha..... Oh man this is truly Gold. Thanks for posting this. But was he being sarcastic about those death combos? I'm pretty sure they aren't true combos. She's a really good character.

Well, so far in tournament play most of the things he said are true, people are doing witch time into dair edguards, early kills of the top, etc. However it is still the first month with the charcater, people will learn to play around her weaknesses and probably develop ways to escape her custom combos, if they can...

Geno, Hoodie Brawler and Black Knight are my default Miis for those characters. All DLC. The DLC costumes are so much better than the stock ones.

But regular characters really should have gotten some. 643D costumes for Fox/Falco and Ocarina 3D costumes for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf would have went a long way. Especially with classic melee voices and sound effects for the Zelda crew.

Tripon

I think people are conflating "end of development" with "end of extended support." Just because the dev team disbanded doesn't mean they didn't pass off duties to another team to keep it stable.

It would be pretty reckless for anyone to release significant new content and not have any way to patch it. Nintendo and Bamco aren't total novices to this.
You are making the assumption that this isn't what Sakurai or the Bandai-Namco team wants.

OmegaFax

Geno, Hoodie Brawler and Black Knight are my default Miis for those characters. All DLC. The DLC costumes are so much better than the stock ones.

But regular characters really should have gotten some. 643D costumes for Fox/Falco and Ocarina 3D costumes for Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf would have went a long way. Especially with classic melee voices and sound effects for the Zelda crew.

I wish they patched in the ability to play as Miis online in the 3DS version. Using them in Smash Run makes up for it ... kind of.

If Nintendo really wants more money they'll let me use custom characters in for fun online

I'll buy all the costumes and hats, just wanna show it off
Is it so hard to filter out dick faces and hitler?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Rest up, Sakurai.

I might not have my 3DS anymore, but I'm loving everything so far I'm hearing about the NX, and I'm hoping Smash ports to it. If it's a direct port of the Wii U, that's fine I guess. Take some 3DS content (like stages and Smash Run) and add it to the NX? Sweet. Add in the Ice Climbers? I'm buying it Day 1. Add in even MORE characters (like Wolf), then you'll have me excited.

That Smash 6 job listing has not left my mind at all.

I may not have been impressed at all with the DLC beyond Mewtwo (though I will admit that Ryu and Cloud were awesome additions in their own right), I'm still pretty thankful that Charizard is still in the game and wasn't axed alongside the other Gen 1 Starters from Brawl, and significantly improved over the course of the game.

I'll be back by the time the NX comes around if that Smash Bros for NX thing is true.

NFLO

Neo Member
Well, It's been the most crazy and hyped up ride that I've had in a while. I wonder what he'll be twerking on next?. Anyways, if anyone truly thinks that the end of patches is now then I'd love to meet you cause your jokes are way too much, haha. Yes, we're less than a month in so I think it should wait a bit till the next patch but as many others have pointed out, Witch Time need to be nerfed, her up b and side b combo needs to connect easier cause it's way too easy to DI out of, her knockback on some moves need nerfed and she needs better throws plus a kill throw. When it comes to Corrin, he/she seems pretty balanced as is from the few times that I've used her but can anyone link a video demonstrating what's broken about the counter move?. I've never used it during any of my matches.

RM8

I know it's super early to tell, but ugh, I feel like these last three characters need a good rebalancing. SSB4 is surprisingly balanced for a game with 50+ fighters, I hope Bayo and Corrin don't massively dominate the scene since they have such insanely effective tools.

Oversoul

Banned
I know it's super early to tell, but ugh, I feel like these last three characters need a good rebalancing. SSB4 is surprisingly balanced for a game with 50+ fighters, I hope Bayo and Corrin don't massively dominate the scene since they have such insanely effective tools.

Sheik and ZSS already dominate the scene.

J@hranimo

Banned
After a weekend playing Smash 4 with friends, I'm ok with this. Both new characters are great and hopefully high level players can shake up the meta with them in tournaments.

and THANK GOODNESS Sakurai is getting an extended vacation! Rest easy :)

edit: Also thank you for Knuckles Mii Costume aka the only one that matters

Spy

I'm kind of expecting Smash NX to have Ice Climbers and Inkling as playable characters as well as all of the stages from the Wii U and 3DS version.

Galang

Banned
Who's to say they haven't already worked on 1 or 2 extra characters and are saving them for NX anyway? His vacation could mean a lot of things... A port could very well just be a complete addition... Or its just that he's in no position to say anything.

Golnei

Regular character costumes could have been a lot more involved for the most part compared to Mii accessories, and putting in more work for something which could only apply to a single character and would necessarily reach a smaller audience as a result might not be considered worthwhile for DLC.

Hopefully, if the next Smash game is a 4 port, they'll manage to give every character at least one modeled alt, along with 16 colours - that seems like it'd be a little closer to doable if the majority of assets only receive minor touchups, as opposed to what an update on the level of Brawl to Smash 4 itself would entail.

The DLC was for me I swear.
My Favorite Final Fantasy Character.
My Melee main
My Brawl Main
One of my Favorite Pokemon and my most wanted vet
And Corrin is great
Ryu is Awesome

And Bayonetta is neat I guess.

Neoxon

Please stay on ur vacation and don't work on the next ssb, there was no story mode because this guy had a hissy fit.
Clearly Sakurai's had his priorities in check, as his was likely to get as many characters in the game as possible. If I recall, SSE came at the cost of quite a few characters during the Brawl days. It'd be a damn shame to lose Sakurai.

tauroxd

Clearly Sakurai's had his priorities in check, as his was likely to get as many characters in the game as possible. If I recall, SSE came at the cost of quite a few characters during the Brawl days. It'd be a damn shame to lose Sakurai.

Oh... Didn't know that... If true, then I'm not as mad at him for not including something like it in Smash 4.

Madao

he should have stuck with an adventure mode like SSBM's and add a few alt paths.

SSE was lose-lose since we lost the original adventure mode, got a bad mode as a replacement and lost characters.

SSB4 still feels like it's missing something because of no adventure mode at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Oh... Didn't know that... If true, then I'm not as mad at him for not including something like it in Smash 4.

I'm not too. I'm glad that Sakurai focused on characters and stages because those features are only things we would play the most online. Most of people just played single mode just once then they are done for good.

Target Test in Melee is only mode that I still enjoy right now. It was fun to trying to beat my own records once in awhile.

he should have stuck with an adventure mode like SSBM's and add a few alt paths.

SSE was lose-lose since we lost the original adventure mode, got a bad mode as a replacement and lost characters.

SSB4 still feels like it's missing something because of no adventure mode at all.

Eh, If I have a choice to pick between more characters and stages vs. more single modes. I would pick more characters and stages in heart beats. Unless It's Target Test Vs. more characters/stages then I would be genuinely stumped.

Madao

I'm not too. I'm glad that Sakurai focused on characters and stages because those features are only things we would play the most online. Most of people just played single mode just once then they are done for good.

Test the Target in Melee is only mode that I still enjoy right now. It was fun to trying to beat my own records once in awhile.

Eh, If I have a choice to pick between more characters and stages vs. more single modes. I would pick more characters and stages in heart beats.

SSBM didn't seem to lose characters over the modes it had. SSE was too big and long and that's why characters were lost.

most of the stages in SSBM's adventure are repurposed regular stages. theres few stages created specifically for that mode. i'd say it's as much work as making Smash Run and Smash Tour. i don't see why they couldn't bring back adventure for the next game if they keep most of the roster and add a few newcomers (restarting from scratch would be a waste of time at this point)

i'm still puzzled why they didn't use the stage creator to bring back the old Break the Targets mode. stage creator would have let them create stages for that pretty easily since the stages for those modes were very simple.

in a way, SSB4 is the opposite extreme of SSBB. we lost modes over characters this time.

Top Bottom