• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-age: Why hasn't Sony released Uncharted 3's first-week sales numbers?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Welp, from what I've seen on previous UC games sales, the banned site numbers were at least in the correct ballpark, so if what they're saying about UC3 is right, it's selling quite well, and better than UC2 did in one week.

Curufinwe

Cheech said:
Any interest in UC3's multi evaporated yesterday.

The insistence to shoehorn multi into these games continues to befuddle me. I've always thought of these games as platformers first, shooters second. The shooter mechanics really just do not lend themselves to multi all that well.

Uncharted 2 maintained plenty of multiplayer interest over time, and so will Uncharted 3 even with MW3 and BF3 to compete with. And the shooting mechanics work well in the multiplayer of both games (it's the SP aiming in U3 that needs fixing)

There's nothing befuddling about it. Multiplayer in Uncharted is popular and profitable, which is why there's an even greater focus on it in the latest version.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/18/uncharted-3-join-the-fortune-hunters-club/

What a silly thread. Most publishers don't release numbers. Nintendo games outsell everything and they never brag outside of financial reports. And Uncharted's only been out a damn week.

The data we do have states it's doing considerably better than Uncharted 2 (more than double in Japan and up 37% in the UK), so it probably sold about a million first week.

Hyuga said:
Of course not. It isn't a multi-platform game.

Even on just the PS3, MW3 will be millions ahead of UC3 at any point. MW3's week 1 sales alone will surpass UC3's lifetime sales (value bundles not included).

Overall, I expect UC3 to have good week 1 numbers followed by sharp drop offs as MW3 and Assassin's Creed hit.

MrCookiepants said:
What a silly thread. Most publishers don't release numbers. Nintendo games outsell everything and they never brag outside of financial reports. And Uncharted's only been out a damn week.

The data we do have states it's doing considerably better than Uncharted 2 (more than double in Japan and up 37% in the UK), so it probably sold about a million first week.

As pointed out already, Sony has released launch numbers for other first party high profile games so it is reasonable to question why this game hasn't.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OldJadedGamer said:
As pointed out already, Sony has released launch numbers for other first party high profile games so it is reasonable to question why this game hasn't.
My guess is that if the game has sold 1M in one week, they don't consider that to be good enough to brag about, even though it's more than UC2 did. When you have games like BF3 bragging with 5M numbers, this would not seem like much in comparison.

OldJadedGamer said:

The GT5 number came from Polyphony Digital's site which updates shipments for all its titles frequently. Sony themselves didn't come out and gloat about it in a press release.

They didn't speak on Uncharted 2 sales until a month after the game released. Why would this be any different?

Akia

BattleMonkey said:
They didn't reveal numbers for UC2 but even that eventually over time sold over 3.5 mil apparently.

Wrong.

Sony revealed that Uncharted 2 sold 1 million copies in "just a couple of weeks" back in November 2009:

It seems Sony's PlayStation 3 exclusive Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is on its way to becoming one of the highest selling games on the platform.

Sony's senior vice president of business development Philip Rosenberg revealed at the BMO Capital Markets Digital Entertainment Conference this morning Uncharted 2 has had a strong first month of unit sales.

"It's the second highest rated PS3 game ever, and as of last week, we have already sold over a million copies in just a couple weeks of being on the market." Rosenberg stated.
MrCookiepants said:
The GT5 number came from Polyphony Digital's site which updates shipments for all its titles frequently. Sony themselves didn't come out and gloat about it in a press release.

What's your explanation for Sony touting God of War 3's first week sales?

Nirolak said:
This trend even tends to apply to Need For Speed.

It debuts fairly low (for a new major release) in the PAL charts, but stays there and/or slowly moves up as we near Christmas.

That's not even mentioning the legs on Mario Kart.

I'm not entirely sure why racing games exhibit this behavior, but the four biggest ones all seem to.

I'd imagine the lack of continually changing rosters and yearly editions lends itself to consumers not feeling like they need to buy it day one.

Famassu

OldJadedGamer said:
The first week of it being in the market (in all regions) is hardly even over. Reasonable, lulz.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Akia said:
Wrong.

Sony revealed that Uncharted 2 sold 1 million copies in "just a couple of weeks" back in November 2009:

Shouldn't you wait for those time frames to have expired? Your question seems to be, "why hasnt Sony revealed sales figures within one week of launch?"

Because that's kind of the reality here.

The god of war note from an industry event was two weeks later (that story is April 1).

Mikey Jr.

Does Sony even give PR statements when the NPD comes out anymore? They used to, now I don't think they do.

It's probably just a recent Sony thing.

Akia

Famassu said:
The first week of it being in the market (in all regions) is hardly even over. Reasonable, lulz.

Sony reported God of War 3 selling over 1 million copies in "just a couple of days" back when it launched. They have a track record of disclosing this information. I was hoping that the game would sell well enough to warrant Sony releasing first week sales. At this point, I am hoping for a 2 million copies sold-to-consumers in 2 weeks announcement.

Akia said:

They did that in April, 2 weeks after the game launched. Who's to say Sony won't be releasing a statement within the next few days? You had no reason to make this thread.

Besides, we know it's selling great based on the data we have from other sources. Comparing it to Resistance 3 in the OP makes it seem like you're trolling.

Akia

Y2Kev said:
Shouldn't you wait for those time frames to have expired? Your question seems to be, "why hasnt Sony revealed sales figures within one week of launch?"

That could also serve as the thread title. I don't mind.

As I'm not going to touch U3 multiplayer I'll wait until the price drops, and that will happen sooner than later. I'm not paying full price for a short campaign, even if it is as stunning as the U3 one.

French

Banned
Akia said:
Wrong.

More than one month after U2's launch.

U3 launched one week ago.

;)

TheMan

OP mentioned Rage- I would LOVE to know how this fared. I'm really curious to see if today's gamers still find Id to be relevant. I would guess no, but I certainly wouldn't expect absolutely dismal sales either.

Malio

Multi-million dollar corporations will be just fine. Find something else to worry about and play the game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Akia said:
That could also serve as the thread title. I don't mind.
Akia, that's sort of paranoia. They didn't release gow3's sales a couple of days after launch. They commented about the first two days two WEEKS after.

Don't worry, be happy.

Bigfoot

I'm sure Uncharted 3 opened much bigger than Uncharted 2. However, I think those that say it will sell less than Uncharted 2 lifetime (NPD) could be right. Uncharted 2 was bundled or put in as a bonus like crazy with a PS3 purchase the last year+ in the US and Canada. Unless Sony plans to bundle Uncharted 3 the same way, it will never reach as many people as U2 did.

Akia

MrCookiepants said:
They did that in April, 2 weeks after the game launched. Who's to say Sony won't be releasing a statement within the next few days? You had no reason to make this thread.

I was hoping that Uncharted 3 would quickly break Uncharted 2's sales milestones and warrant Sony disclosing 1st week numbers yesterday. EA and WB released Battlefield 3 and Batman AC numbers exactly one week after their respective launches. That's the reason why I made this thread.

It took Sony a month to report that Uncharted 2 passed the 1 million copies sold mark. As an observer, the longer it takes Sony to release sales results the higher my sales expectations.

My expectations:

1 Million Sold in 1 week
3 Million Sold in 1 month

My expectations are a tad high but three million in a month would be amazing for the franchise.

Son has been stupid for not releasing U3 in all of Europe. It was not released in France and other countries. U3 will be released next week against COD. At the very least Sony could have delayed U3´s release, or released it earlier instead of putting it between BF and COD.

French

Banned
Beam said:
Son has been stupid for not releasing U3 in all of Europe. It was not released in France and other countries. U3 will be released next week against COD. At the very least Sony could have delayed U3´s release, or released it earlier instead of putting it between BF and COD.

It was released in France the 11/02 ( and it was even available at the end of October in a lot of stores ).

Akia

Y2Kev said:
Akia, that's sort of paranoia. They didn't release gow3's sales a couple of days after launch. They commented about the first two days two WEEKS after.

Don't worry, be happy.

Kev, the fact that they didn't release first week sales does say something about the game's performance. I didn't know about the delayed EU release date, maybe they're waiting until the end of this week to include EU numbers in their first-week sales announcement.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't see the huge reason to worry about the lack of news of the game a week off of launch, but I guess if you worry about those types of things... More power to you.

It's only been 7 days. Go play some Uncharted 3 or something, since no publisher ever has to release sales data if they don't feel like doing so.

alundra

Neo Member
one day ? one uncharted thread ?
uncharted 3 will sell enough to have uncharted 4 .
it's all we need to know .

Akia

highluxury said:
If you believe the [REDACTED].

But this is probably mostly a question posed for Arne.

We don't talk about that site here.

DMeisterJ said:
I don't see the huge reason to worry about the lack of news of the game a week off of launch, but I guess if you worry about those types of things... More power to you.

It's only been 7 days. Go play some Uncharted 3 or something, since no publisher ever has to release sales data if they don't feel like doing so.

Even if Uncharted 3 sold like crap, Uncharted 4 is a given. Sony needs to give people a reason to buy a PS4. I was hoping for crazy sales so that the movie studios can justify giving the movie a decent budget.

I've been playing the hell out of the game. Just beat my first playthrough last night on Hard.

bluemax

Banned
FWIW, I know some people who work at ND and they've been posting/sharing that ******** link, so either they're ignorant of what that site does or there is a level of truth to it.

Okay, arent you guys being over offensive?

I did not claim those were the 'real' numbers, and implied it too.

But of course it would be nice if sales were well exceeding that "guesstimate". However I dont see the problem here, Uncharted 3 will probably sell well enough.

Sony ocassionally boast their software numbers, but not often.

Huff

Banned
highluxury said:
Okay, arent you guys being over offensive?

I did not claim those were the 'real' numbers, and implied it too.

But of course it would be nice if sales were well exceeding that "guesstimate". However I dont see the problem here, Uncharted 3 will probably sell well enough.

Sony ocassionally boast their software numbers, but not often.
I was actually hinting at you to edit them out. Posting numbers from that site has been bannable in the past

Wickwire

U2 will sell well if it has not already.There is a glut of games out this fall. Black Friday hasn't hit. Still a month and half to christmas. Theres just so many good games out. People have to pick and choose what they want.

TheMan

Akia said:
Even if Uncharted 3 sold like crap, Uncharted 4 is a given. Sony needs to give people a reason to buy a PS4.

This doesn't even make sense. Assuming U3 sales are crap (and I really don't think they are), then to whom would U4 be giving a compelling reason to buy a PS4?

Akia

TheMan said:
This doesn't even make sense. Assuming U3 sales are crap (and I really don't think they are), then to whom would U4 be giving a compelling reason to buy a PS4?

People buy consoles at launch for the graphics leap, a Naughty Dog Uncharted 4 on the PS4 would look amazing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I predict Akia is going to look back in a few years and wonder why he wasted brain space on such trivial shit.

spwolf

so is this where we try to coerce Arne into giving us the numbers? :).

Because so far it has been up in UK by 37% and in Japan by 150%. In other Pro-Sony countries in Europe, it is #1 in charts.

So no need to "worry" about sales.. UC2 has sold 5 million so far in 1 year and this seems to go even better.

Akia

diffusionx said:
I predict Akia is going to look back in a few years and wonder why he wasted brain space on such trivial shit.

I want the things I am a fan of to perform well. The only metric we have in video games is sales figures. For example, I am really happy that Breaking Bad Season 4's ratings were 24% higher than Season 3.

spwolf said:
so is this where we try to coerce Arne into giving us the numbers? :).

Because so far it has been up in UK by 37% and in Japan by 150%. In other Pro-Sony countries in Europe, it is #1 in charts.

So no need to "worry" about sales.. UC2 has sold 5 million so far in 1 year and this seems to go even better.

I'm worried about the game sales in NA and the EU since it is releasing between BF3 and MW3.

Top Bottom