• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-age: Why hasn't Sony released Uncharted 3's first-week sales numbers?

KingDizzi

Banned
Nirolak said:
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Killzone loses money and Sony is subsidizing the series in hopes of getting a major FPS going.

It's not an uncommon practice, especially for a first party.

Sucker Punch on the other hand is quite small, so I could see Infamous being profitable.

Yeah what's going on with GG is kinda crazy, none of their games have set the sales charts on fire yet they continue to expand. The second studio has been around for some time now, will be intersting to see how big that team is. Not that I mind, KZ3 was meh but loved KZ2 so they can make good games.

Kogepan said:
especially when MW3 is going to sell 10+ million. Everything else just looks pitiful in comparison and not really worth of a press release.

Already 2.5 million or so people on just the PS3 leaderboard, will probably do 4 million week one on PS3 alone at absolute worst. Fucking justice when good games sell.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
This meme has lost its lustre, especially when used out of context.........like in this case.
I give this post an 8.8.

On topic, it seems like it's very typical of Sony to not release numbers. I'm sure UC3 will do fine, though I don't think it will ever be as big as Sony might like it to be (e.g. Gears or Halo for Xbox).

jett

D-Member
Sony seldom releases this kind of information, but I have little doubt UC3 has shipped several millions worldwide.

Averon said:
What are UC3's multi-player numbers? That should give use some clue as to how well it's doing.

The first public beta was downloaded by over 1.5 million people in its first week. That's as much information as we have regarding that. I've no clue how many people play the retail multiplayer, it doesn't have a player count.

fernoca

Silence is nothing bad.

Just a few months ago, Mortal Kombat did over 1.1 million in 11 days, just in the US and we didn't heard anything until NPD (and people expected it to sell less than Marvel vs Capcom 3 to boot).

WB announced over 3 million worldwide, in September (5 months later).

Akia

I updated the OP with a more comprehensive list for Holiday 2011 sales annoucements:

From what I've noticed there seems to be tiers to publisher sales announcements:

Tier 1: Blockbuster Status = Publisher Releases Day One Sold-to-Consumer Numbers
  • Placeholder for MW3

Tier 2: Publisher Only Releases 1st Week Sold-to-Consumer Numbers
Tier 3: Publisher Only Releases Shipped to Retailers Numbers
  • Dark Souls: 1.5 Million Shipped in 1 month
  • Deus Ex: HR: 2 Million Shipped in 2 weeks

Tier 4: Publisher Keeps Quiet = sales numbers are modest to bomba
  • RAGE
  • Resistance 3
  • Forza 4

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
KingDizzi said:
Yeah what's going on with GG is kinda crazy, none of their games have set the sales charts on fire yet they continue to expand. The second studio has been around for some time now, will be intersting to see how big that team is.
Guerrilla got EU money

Akia

jett said:
Sony seldom releases this kind of information, but I have little doubt UC3 has shipped several millions worldwide.

They did release numbers for GT5 (within 2 weeks) and God of War 3 (first week).

Satchel

Banned
jett said:

The first public beta was downloaded by over 1.5 million people in its first week. That's as much information as we have regarding that. I've no clue how many people play the retail multiplayer, it doesn't have a player count.

I was one of the 1.5 million, yet haven't bought the game yet. So that doesn't mean a great deal.

apana

Because of the actions of a few patriotic reviewers Sony decided it was probably a better idea to abort this whole Uncharted business altogether and ship all the copies to the bottom of the ocean.

Or they are just waiting for the right oppurtunity to announce the numbers. If it is bad news then they can hide it, and if it is good news they can make sure to announce it on a day where they know they have everyone's attention.

Akia

jackdoe said:
He's a shareholder? Haha.

No, I'm just a Uncharted fan that wants Sony to keep heavily investing in the series. Because of Sony's subpar marketing for the game series, the upcoming movie is the biggest shot at the series becoming mainstream. The sales results of Uncharted 3 will probably effect on the movie's overall budget.

KingDizzi

Banned
So with UC3 doing 125k first week in Japan (yep a shooter sold more in Japan than UK) that means the game has sold at least 200k first week, add all the other regions such as the rest if EU and NA chances are the game did over 600k first week. Even that is probably low balling so the game has done fine, all you UC fans will continue to get more of these lovely interactive movies!

CozMick

Banned
To answer the OP,

Because it released between the 2 biggest games of this generation Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3.

So I'm guessing it bombed big time!

Amir0x

Banned
CozMick said:
To answer the OP,

Because it released between the 2 biggest games of this generation Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3.

this entire season is fucking cramped. Skyword Sword, Skyrim AND Assassin's Creed Revelations are in this month too

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
KingDizzi said:
So with UC3 doing 125k first week in Japan (yep a shooter sold more in Japan than UK) that means the game has sold at least 200k first week, add all the other regions such as the rest if EU and NA chances are the game did over 600k first week. Even that is probably low balling so the game has done fine, all you UC fans will continue to get more of these lovely interactive movies!

Really surprised at the Japanese number.

CozMick said:
To answer the OP,

problem is, it most likely didn't.

CozMick

Banned
Amir0x said:
this entire season is fucking cramped. Skyword Sword, Skyrim AND Assassin's Creed Revelations are in this month too

Does the November period increase sales that much? even between the big guns?

Wouldn't it be more logical to release a month early or maybe even a month after?

Erasus

If it does that well in UK as reported I dont think there is need to worry.

It wont sell like MW3/Skyrim but its not as big.

Cheech

Averon said:
What are UC3's multi-player numbers? That should give use some clue as to how well it's doing.

Any interest in UC3's multi evaporated yesterday.

The insistence to shoehorn multi into these games continues to befuddle me. I've always thought of these games as platformers first, shooters second. The shooter mechanics really just do not lend themselves to multi all that well.

Akia said:
I updated the OP with a more comprehensive list for Holiday 2011 sales annoucements:

From what I've noticed there seems to be tiers to publisher sales announcements:

Tier 1: Blockbuster Status = Publisher Releases Day One Sold-to-Consumer Numbers
  • Placeholder for MW3

Tier 2: Publisher Only Releases 1st Week Sold-to-Consumer Numbers
Tier 3: Publisher Only Releases Shipped to Retailers Numbers
  • Dark Souls: 1.5 Million Shipped in 1 month
  • Deus Ex: HR: 2 Million Shipped in 2 weeks

• RAGE
  • Resistance 3
  • Forza 4

Well from the forza leader boards I think its at around 900,000 people have played, dont know how many people don't have their Xbox not connected to the internet so maybe 925k~950k.

i've only seen 1 or 2 people play the game on my friends list, which isn't a good sign. usually with big new games there are at least 5-10 people playing.. i remember after UC2 came out there were TONS of people on my list playing it every day.

dunno though, could be just my list. nowadays it's mostly people i met in Demon's Souls, so could be a taste thing, or that they're all playing Dark Souls (which seems to be the case some days).

TheMan

soundscream said:
Well from the forza leader boards I think its at around 900,000 people have played, dont know how many people don't have their Xbox not connected to the internet so maybe 925k~950k.

It's such a good game- sales deserve to be fantastic. I did my part, but I guess there are just too many big releases coming out right now.

They didn't reveal numbers for UC2 but even that eventually over time sold over 3.5 mil apparently. UC3 will probably be another slow burner, but so far doesn't seem to be getting as much hype and acclaim that UC2 got. UC2 had ads all over the place on TV, was getting awards everywhere, it was one of the highest reviewed titles the year it came out, and got lot of exposure on shit like the Spike video game awards and other places. I just don't see UC3 anywhere

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
TheMan said:
It's such a good game- sales deserve to be fantastic. I did my part, but I guess there are just too many big releases coming out right now.
Yeah man :| the FM franchise and specially 4 totally deserves much much better sales than that :(

It's an outstanding console racing game.

faridmon

Why would they? Not every game need a first week sales. I am sure they are going to release when it hits a certain number that they think its consider impressive. Before that, I think you are going to do a lot of worrying.

and Holyshit at BC3. didn't know they shipped so much in a single week.

Akia said:
  • RAGE
  • Resistance 3
  • Forza 4

Do you really think forza 4 will be/is a bomba?
I had always figured it, just like the GT series, has long long legs and always does well over the course of its shelf life.

scitek

Saint Gregory said:
Which one was that? Or are you thinking of 8.8? That one did last for years and they were awesome years

Edit:Beaten

I preferred this one in response to the score IGN gave Lair.
1ceno.jpg

Rad-

Nealand Liquor said:
Do you really think forza 4 will be/is a bomba?
I had always figured it, just like the GT series, has long long legs and always does well over the course of its shelf life.

You are right. Forza 3 also debuted to modest numbers but had great legs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rad- said:
You are right. Forza 3 also debuted to modest numbers but had great legs.
This trend even tends to apply to Need For Speed.

It debuts fairly low (for a new major release) in the PAL charts, but stays there and/or slowly moves up as we near Christmas.

That's not even mentioning the legs on Mario Kart.

I'm not entirely sure why racing games exhibit this behavior, but the four biggest ones all seem to.

Akia said:
No, I'm just a Uncharted fan that wants Sony to keep heavily investing in the series. Because of Sony's subpar marketing for the game series, the upcoming movie is the biggest shot at the series becoming mainstream. The sales results of Uncharted 3 will probably effect on the movie's overall budget.

As good as Uncharted is, I hope they don't continue the series and move to a new IP. If they kept doing Jak then they wouldn't have done Uncharted. It's good when great devs move on to new IPs.

Top Bottom