• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-age: Why hasn't Sony released Uncharted 3's first-week sales numbers?

Akia

I must say I'm a little worried. Usually a week after launch, most publishers send out a press release to proclaim the astonishing number of copies shipped to retailers or better yet sold in to customers. As far as I can tell no legitimate sales numbers have been sent out by Sony yet. The only numbers out there online are from that banned site.

I'm currently playing through the game and really like it compared to #2. I hope the series' sales grows with the third installment. I am worried that Sony hasn't said anything because it isn't beating sales expectations. I just hope Uncharted 3 isn't a sales disappointment to Sony like Resistance 3.

Holiday 2011 Publisher Announced Sales Figures

Tier 1: Blockbuster Status = Publisher Releases Day One Sold-to-Consumer Numbers
  • Placeholder for MW3

Tier 2: Publisher Only Releases 1st Week Sold-to-Consumer Numbers
Tier 3: Publisher Only Releases Shipped to Retailers Numbers
  • Dark Souls: 1.5 Million Shipped in 1 month (link)
  • Deus Ex: HR: 2 Million Shipped in 2 weeks (gaf thread link)

Tier 4: Publisher Keeps Quiet = sales numbers are modest to bomba
  • RAGE
  • Resistance 3
  • Forza 4

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it probably did pretty well. The day of it's release was the first time in a long time that I saw so many people on my friend list online at once and they were all playing it.

I could have sworn I saw a story about it breaking 1 million but it turns out it was from Chartz.

The game has only been out a week today... give them some time man. Probably see something before the week is out. "uncharted 3 fastest selling game in the franchises history.. blah blah playstation family of products. blah blah Uncharted golden abyss coming 2012 blah blah momentum"

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
user_nat said:
Uncharted 3 had an extra 3 days though.

Uncharted 2 had a 53% drop the following week (which is pretty good), so I wouldn't be surprised if 3 drops harder. MW3 will hurt it there.

Uncharted 1 and 2 have both sold over a million in the US alone, so I think at least that is guaranteed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It could be meeting expectations or even beating them, but still not be headline worthy in Sony's opinion.

Uncharted, while a strong franchise, isn't quite "Check our how many millions we sold at launch." strong yet.

If Uncharted 3's multiplayer gains a solid audience though, that should help the series significantly when Uncharted 4 comes along.

KingDizzi

Banned
Sony don't give two shits about releasing sales numbers, PD post software shipment figures though but even with them its almost been a year since they updated the sales section. I'm sure it will sell enough to justify more UC games, UC3 going in the middle of BF3 anf MW3 was that special stroke of retard though. Nothing to worry about in terms of getting more UC games if that's your fancy, KZ2 and inFamous which sold pretty poorly getting big budget sequels means that Sony are obviously pretty happy with the sales their games get.
?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
they're likely trying to sweep it under the rug due to its embarrassing metacritic score.

I get the feeling it does great, but nothing note worthy, which is why they are likely waiting for a more round, bigger number to announce (like 2 or 3 millions in less than a month).

Akia

Nirolak said:
It could be meeting expectations or even beating them, but still not be headline worthy in Sony's opinion.

Uncharted, while a strong franchise, isn't quite "Check our how many millions we sold at launch." strong yet.

If Uncharted 3's multiplayer gains a solid audience though, that should help the series significantly when Uncharted 4 comes along.

I am hoping this isn't true. I wanted Uncharted 3 to would be the franchises' coming out party to the mainstream audience.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Kagari said:
Uncharted 1 and 2 have both sold over a million in the US alone, so I think at least that is guaranteed.
No doubt. I would be pretty surprised if it doesn't end up the highest in the franchise (excluding bundles).

I was just pointing out the first week UK comparison wasn't quite fair.

Averon

I don't remember Sony ever giving out sales numbers for any of their games this gen. As for UC3, it'll do very well I imagine.

Huff

Banned
Averon said:
I don't remember Sony ever giving out sales numbers for any of their games this gen. As for UC3, it'll do very well I imagine.

I think they've given numbers like x game just passed 1 million sales, but never, week one sales are at y.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Metalmurphy said:
Does Sony ever released first-week sales numbers for any of their games?
Averon said:
God of War 3 sort of did.

IGN said:
During this morning's MI6 conference, an annual gathering of videogame marketing executives, Sony's VP Of Marketing Peter Dille stated God of War III had sold 1 million units in "just a couple days" after the game launched.
Source: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1081412p1.html

Pooya

They might do that in their response to October NPD this week, they generally talk about their games whether they are not launched in that month or not.

Akia

Nirolak said:

Interesting. So they do chest pound their titles when they sell well.

I found Gran Turismo 5 numbers from a Sony press release:

Sony said:
As of December 6, more than 5.5 million units of Gran Turismo 5 have been sold worldwide. Gran Turismo 5 will further continue to contribute to the expansion of the PS3 platform.

Sony press release for GT5: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...eed-60-million-units-worldwide-111649359.html

So many 'doom and gloom' Uncharted threads in this forum lately.

This thread particularly ridiculous and alarmist...so freakin' quick.

Neogaf REALLY wants you to believe Uncharted 3 is a failure on almost every level.

Akia

CartridgeBlower said:
So many 'doom and gloom' Uncharted threads in this damn forum lately.

This thread is so ridiculously quick and alarmist.

Neogaf REALLY wants you to believe Uncharted 3 is a failure on almost every level.

Dude I LOVE Uncharted 3, I am enjoying the game immensely and I think its the best game in the series. Just because I made this thread doesn't make me an enemy/hater/detractor. You can put your pitchfork down.

I created this thread to talk about publisher first week sales trends with other people who follow the news. I labeled it "Sales-age" for that very reason.

Akia said:
Dude I LOVE Uncharted 3, I am enjoying the game immensely and I think its the best game in the series. Just because I made this thread doesn't make me an enemy/hater/detractor. You can put your pitchfork down.

I created this thread to talk about publisher first week sales trends with other people who follow the news. I labeled it "Sales-age" for that very reason.

Then why not talk about this in the "sales-age" thread? Isn't that exactly what it's for?

user_nat said:
No doubt. I would be pretty surprised if it doesn't end up the highest in the franchise (excluding bundles).

I was just pointing out the first week UK comparison wasn't quite fair.

If it's advertising campaign is as big in other countries as it is in Australia then it would want to be. Out side of a few games like AC and COD i can't remember many games being advertised this much.

I don't remember a single ad for UC1 or 2 but this one is plastered all over tv.

UberTag

Uncharted 3 should do fine.
37% increase over Uncharted 2 in the UK.
Banned site's undoubtedly incorrect numbers show a 39.2% increase over Uncharted 2 in North America.

Seems solid for the franchise. It's not going to do Gears or Modern Warfare or Battlefield or multi-SKU Arkham numbers but it will perform solidly compared to other Sony IPs. Nothing terrible about that.

kswiston

Kagari said:

I know that most of the copies must have been sold at Greatest Hits pricing, but it's pretty impressive that Uncharted 1 made it to 1 million in the us. Didn't it debut at less than 100k in its first month?

Kujo

Eurogamer review affected sales, they shouldn't have been so careless with a 8/10, Sony needs the money

KZ2 and inFamous which sold pretty poorly getting big budget sequels means that Sony are obviously pretty happy with the sales their games get.

Infamous 1 didnt sell poorly.

KZ2 sold ok, but I don't think it met expectations.

1M+ sold for anything is not poor.

Para bailar La Bomba said:
This meme has lost its lustre, especially when used out of context.........like in this case.
Perhaps I was making a joke about the 8/10 review giving people pause about buying it and it hurt sales. Joke failed.

Kusagari

Because they're not good enough to release? I don't think anybody, including Sony, expected it to match those games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Boombloxer said:
Infamous 1 didnt sell poorly.

KZ2 sold ok, but I don't think it met expectations.

1M+ sold for anything is not poor.
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if Killzone loses money and Sony is subsidizing the series in hopes of getting a major FPS going.

It's not an uncommon practice, especially for a first party.

Sucker Punch on the other hand is quite small, so I could see Infamous being profitable.

gdt

Even if UC3 majorly beats out UC2's open, it's still probably not a number big enough to shout to the world.

The game will do awesome, and more will get made.

And that makes the Drake inside of me very happy.

Kogepan

gdt5016 said:
Even if UC3 majorly beats out UC2's open, it's still probably not a number big enough to shout to the world.

especially when MW3 is going to sell 10+ million. Everything else just looks pitiful in comparison and not really worth of a press release.

gdt5016 said:

How did he get there? :O

Akia

Kusagari said:
Because they're not good enough to release? I don't think anybody, including Sony, expected it to match those games.

I think Sony would have issued a press release if it broke the 1 million mark. Hopefully we'll get a confirmation next week.

gdt

eternaLightness said:
How did he get there? :O

he was always there, it just took a little sully to set him free

he is in every one of us. he is our awesome passenger

Top Bottom