• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales-age: Why hasn't Sony released Uncharted 3's first-week sales numbers?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
StoppedInTracks said:
Imagine if U3 will be, yet again, uncharted in Nov's NPD.

Cannot imagine the meltdowns.
What do you mean yet again? Wasn't UC2 on the npd top 10 for the month it came out and maybe next?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
sad day when gamers are searching for numbers instead of just playing the game. unless you have stock in sony who cares. nes, n64, psx, ps2, xbox nobody cared about numbers. this is what the media has done to today's gaming community. i gave up on npd a long time ago as it serves no good purpose to me or any gamer.

CaptainABAB

TheMan said:
OP mentioned Rage- I would LOVE to know how this fared. I'm really curious to see if today's gamers still find Id to be relevant. I would guess no, but I certainly wouldn't expect absolutely dismal sales either.

We'll find out tomorrow.

Lord Error said:
What do you mean yet again? Wasn't UC2 on the npd top 10 for the month it came out and maybe next?

No, it posted 537k for the month of release then was Uncharted the next month.

iamvin22 said:
sad day when gamers are searching for numbers instead of just playing the game. unless you have stock in sony who cares. nes, n64, psx, ps2, xbox nobody cared about numbers. this is what the media has done to today's gaming community. i gave up on npd a long time ago as it serves no good purpose to me or any gamer.

You are aware this is a thread about sales right?

Lord Error said:
October 2009

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3; Oct-09) 537,000
WII FIT PLUS* (WII; Oct-09) 441,000
BORDERLANDS (360; Oct-09) 418,000
WII SPORTS RESORT* (WII; Jul-09) 314,000
NBA 2K10* (360; Oct-09) 311,000
HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 271,000
NBA 2K10* (PS3; Oct-09) 213,000
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) 175,000
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS; Sep-09) 169,000
FIFA SOCCER 10 (360; Oct-09) 156,000

November 2009

CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (360) |Nov-09| 4.20M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (PS3) |Nov-09| 1.87M
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (WII) |Nov-09| 1.39M
ASSASSIN'S CREED II (360) |Nov-09| 794.7K
LEFT 4 DEAD 2 (360) |Nov-09| 744.0K
WII SPORTS RESORT* (WII) |Jul-09| 720.2K
WII FIT PLUS* (WII) |Oct-09| 679.0K
ASSASSIN'S CREED II (PS3) |Nov-09| 448.4K
DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS* (360) |Nov-09| 362.1K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (WII) |Apr-08| 315.0K
Nope.

Cheech said:
Any interest in UC3's multi evaporated yesterday.

The insistence to shoehorn multi into these games continues to befuddle me. I've always thought of these games as platformers first, shooters second. The shooter mechanics really just do not lend themselves to multi all that well.
Interesting that you'd say that. MW2''s launch did not completely decimate Uncharted 2's multiplayer, yet you think MW3 will.

Cruzader

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

You are aware this is a thread about sales right?
He has a point and this isn't NPD thread so you can't just dismiss his point. Just because he has a different and valid view doesn't mean he can't be posting here.

Still wondering why it's compared to GOW3 in terms of shipment and PR releases. It's one of the biggest franchises and only one to do 1m on release. Of course Sony will pound its chest on it. Uncharted has never been like that although it's a great IP.

Odd thing is also comparing it to multiplat releases.

Cruzader said:
He has a point and this isn't NPD thread so you can't just dismiss his point. Just because he has a different and valid view doesn't mean he can't be posting here.

I'm dismissing it because he's complaining about people talking about sales... in a thread about sales.

dalin80

Banned
It hasn't been out a week in all territories yet, and then it will take a bit of time to get the numbers together.

Huff

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
I'm dismissing it because he's complaining about people talking about sales... in a thread about sales.
He's arguing about the fact that this sales thread exists. When there are no numbers to talk about.

There's a difference

BroHuffman said:
He's arguing about the fact that this sales thread exists. When there are no numbers to talk about.

There's a difference
well we know it sold 124,989 week one in Japan, slightly ahead of BF3. i don't know how that compares though, but theres a number right there.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Akia said:
I want the things I am a fan of to perform well. The only metric we have in video games is sales figures. For example, I am really happy that Breaking Bad Season 4's ratings were 24% higher than Season 3.

I stand by my prediction. This stuff doesn't matter.

KingDizzi

Banned
spats said:
Shitty SCEE marketing strikes back.

Nope. £5 million was spent on UK advertising and they are decent so advertising is not to blame. The UC games just aren't that popular, this game got all the help it needed yet has not managed great numbers. It's a franchise that will do 3 or so million lifetime without bundles which is good enough for more UC games. Most advertised game this year I'd say. :/

so are people gonna start saying Uncharted is Doomed and needs to be put to bed when it debuts at number 5 instead of number 1 on Novembers NPD's even if it does actually sell more copies then Uncharted 2 did?

Because thats where this is going isnt it?

Since its November and all I guess Uncharted 3 will atelast do 700,000 first month NPD's. could break a million if some good black friday deals happen but thats not something I would take a bet on.

But Battlefield, Skyrim, COD, and Assassins Creed will all be ahead of it on the chart because of the way NDP tracks stuff now which should make for some fun posts come mid December.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The real victory here is when the people who run GAME told me that Xenoblade was a big success for them and sold better than people were expecting.

As far as U3, did anyone really expect Sony to make a statement, in light of what they'd be up against? They are too busy eating Subway right now. And I imagine, stopping by the bank.

The game is a huge promotional piece for them and the franchise will live on.
(Though I guess I'm just spoiled since I get NPD data).

Huff

Banned
plagiarize said:
well we know it sold 124,989 week one in Japan, slightly ahead of BF3. i don't know how that compares though, but theres a number right there.
I'm not against this thread but I see where he is coming from. And you can argue that there already are the mediacrate and the European sales threads to talk about those specific numbers. As of now we have no overall amount of UC3 sales to talk about.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I expect big numbers, because their ad campaign has been MASSIVE, where I live (Santiago, Chile) you rarely see game ads on the streets, and U3 ads are everywhere, I've never in my life seen a bigger marketing campaign than this one, has it been the same in other places?

allan-bh said:
If Uncharted 3 didn't cross the 1 million mark in november NPD, will be a disappointment
Sony first party software doesn't sell all that much in the US, I would be shocked if they hit 1 million.

allan-bh

OldJadedGamer said:
There is WAY too much competition in November for this to happen. No way.

The game went out november 1st, NPD november will cover 26 days, cover black friday...

It's not ask too much if Uncharted 3 really expanded the franchise.

iLLmAtlc

I don't think Sony likes to release sales numbers, even when there is something to brag about. For example God of War III was the first PS3 exclusive to break 1 million in the NPD but there was no press release for that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OldJadedGamer said:
OK, so it did chart (in first spot even) for the month of release. I was just arguing against the "won't chart yet again" comment.

allan-bh said:
The game went out november 1st, NPD november will cover 26 days, cover black friday...

It's not ask too much if Uncharted 3 really expanded the franchise.

Remember that Uncharted 2 sold 537k in it's first month with no other major game releases. This month alone you have:

Assassin's Creed
Halo
Battlefield
Call of Duty
Skyrim
Batman
Saints Row

All these games are multiplatform except for Halo. What competition did Uncharted 2 have? Brutal Legend? These games don't release in a bubble and consumers only have so much money to spend. Asking for a million is silly IMO, there is no way.

Lord Error said:
OK, so it did chart (in first spot even) for the month of release. I was just arguing against the "won't chart yet again" comment.

Again, what competition did it have? It charted its first month, then when other big games came out in November it disappeared. It is all about competition. A single player focused game like Uncharted will have legs and sell all year but sales are not front loaded for a title like this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Obviously it hasn't sold well enough for them to start crowing about it. I imagine it will be a steady seller like UC2 and do reasonably well.

Penguin

funkystudent said:
so are people gonna start saying Uncharted is Doomed and needs to be put to bed when it debuts at number 5 instead of number 1 on Novembers NPD's even if it does actually sell more copies then Uncharted 2 did?

Because thats where this is going isnt it?

Since its November and all I guess Uncharted 3 will atelast do 700,000 first month NPD's. could break a million if some good black friday deals happen but thats not something I would take a bet on.

But Battlefield, Skyrim, COD, and Assassins Creed will all be ahead of it on the chart because of the way NDP tracks stuff now which should make for some fun posts come mid December.

I would also think that Just Dance 3, Zelda and maybe NBA 2k12 has a chance to be ahead of it.

allan-bh

This talk of competition is an excuse to try to justify a game that did not sell as well.

A game that has appeal sells, if Uncharted 3 can't make 1 million in a full NPD month, is definitely a modest franchise, even with all the effort of Sony

jett

D-Member
allan-bh said:
If Uncharted 3 didn't cross the 1 million mark in november NPD, will be a disappointment

You should know God of War 3 is the ONLY Sony release this generation that has sold more than 1 million in its first month in America(according to NPD). For me a disappointment would be UC3 selling below UC2's first month.

allan-bh

jett said:
For me a disappointment would be UC3 selling below UC2's first month.

That would be a disaster.

I imagine an expansion of Uncharted franchise, then 1 million in 26 days of November NPD with an Black friday, really is not asking that much.

BKK

allan-bh said:
Uncharted 3 first week bigger in Japan than in UK is crazy.

Not quite, 116k in UK was raw 90% tracked figure. 100% extraploted = 128k, Vs 125k in Japan (Media Create).

allan-bh said:
This talk of competition is an excuse to try to justify a game that did not sell as well.

A game that has appeal sells, if Uncharted 3 can't make 1 million in a full NPD month, is definitely a modest franchise, even with all the effort of Sony
Sony's "effort" isn't worth anything, they have been unable to sell first party software in the US this gen.

I'm not sure why you think that will all turnaround with Uncharted 3.

allan-bh said:
That would be a disaster.

I imagine an expansion of Uncharted franchise, then 1 million in 26 days of November NPD with an Black friday, really is not asking that much.

You really haven't been paying attention to any sales threads if you think that's true. There is no way in hell UC3 is pushing a million in November. It will do great numbers in it's life time and be used as a system seller but no way will it do a million in it's first month with all this competition.

allan-bh

OldJadedGamer said:
There is no way in hell UC3 is pushing a million in November. It will do great numbers in it's life time and be used as a system seller but no way will it do a million in it's first month with all this competition.

Let's see.

Not saying that will happen, but it is plausible for me

Top Bottom