• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Chromebook |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Netbooks->Ultrabooks->Netbooks

What's old is new again. A netbook running an less functional operating system is now big news.

Wait what? Google is doing operating systems now? I did read through the thread but I'm still a bit confused. This isn't going to be a full blown OS, but is does it still resemble one(something like Android?) or is it just a browser with some apps and maybe play store(wait that still sounds like Android)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
googlearmchromebook24.jpg

Daaamn.

I think I would prefer a slightly larger screen, though. 11.6 is kind of netbooky-territory. But if the Macbook Air can pull it off... *shrug*

Wait what? Google is doing operating systems now? I did read through the thread but I'm still a bit confused. This isn't going to be a full blown OS, but is does it still resemble one(something like Android?) or is it just a browser with some apps and maybe play store(wait that still sounds like Android)?

Its not new, I think its been around since 2010, it literally is just Chrome, its just a web browser, thats the only app.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
the only thing i'm worried about is the trackpad. please don't be terrible.

YMMV but I've extensively used an original Samsung Series 5 Chromebook and the trackpad was one of my favorite parts (after the screen, and before the keyboard which was also awesome.)

Samsung's Chromebooks have been fantastic in getting the details right like those, just not enough to justify the premium price considering the specs.

RotBot

How well will it handle HD Flash video? I have a Core 2 Duo laptop that hitches like crazy when I try to load a 720p+ twitch.tv stream on it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The operating system is Chrome. Apps are installed via the Chrome Web Store.

Here's the desktop:

chromebook-aura-1.jpg

chromebook-aura-3.jpg

You can't run Android apps, or any non-web apps.

How well will it handle HD Flash video? I have a Core 2 Duo laptop that hitches like crazy when I try to load a 720p+ twitch.tv stream on it.

It probably doesn't support Flash since it's ARM-based. Native Client either, come to think of it.

Specs say it handles 1080p videos fine, though.

YMMV but I've extensively used an original Samsung Series 5 Chromebook and the trackpad was one of my favorite parts (after the screen, and before the keyboard which was also awesome.)

Samsung's Chromebooks have been fantastic in getting the details right like those, just not enough to justify the premium price considering the specs.
cool

http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/18/google-11-6-inch-arm-based-samsung-chromebook-hands-on/

Hands-on from Engadget!

The processor is an Cortex-A15, holy shit dawn of a new era

The video is it the $250 model? there is SD Card slot YES. and there's a slot for a sim card! woot.

What the Christ @ the left shift key - worst thing about it by far! But this model's way better than the other Chromebooks and can actually compete with Windows RT devices. Please fix the keyboard and I'll buy it!

dwebo

6.5 hours of battery life? That's it? I cant believe it isn't 10+.

yeah, it does seem low, especially considering it's got a 30whr battery according to the guy in the engadget hands-on

even the surface rt, which has a slightly smaller 10.6" display but same resolution can do 8hr on it's 31.5whr battery

Somnid

Google did seem to have plans to allow extension/apps on mobile Chrome. At that point there is little difference.

Chrome OS to me is a failed experiment. Manifest Version 2 basically solidifies that. Essentially rather than running pure web pages Chrome OS is expected to run privileged apps in separate windows that can have access to filesystem, usb, bluetooth, raw network streams and modules built in C/C++ among other things. This is all built on top of Chrome APIs and encouraged adoption of early draft web standards (in other words, not real standards). It's really no longer a browser OS and more a full OS based on browser technologies. I imagine soon they'll push for DART adoption to widen that gap a little more.

But yeah, it's long past that point of a full screen browser, it's its own beast now.

JordanKZ

It really depends on whether or not those 6 1/2 hours are rated for video playback or casual browsing or what. Battery life is always YMMV.

This is way too ahead of its time for me, but it's a great looking laptop. Chrome/Samsung logo placement sucks, though.

Do Chrome OS trackpads suck like most Windows ones? If they're not exactly the same, not familiar with the subject but I always hear complaints.

So do you always need an internet connection? What happens if you haven't got access to one?

Dont quote me on this, but I think it caches some stuff, like the emails you have read recently, but other than that, you cant do anything else without internet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
CR-48 runs great with Windows 8.

Ssshhhhhh...

What the Christ @ the left shift key - worst thing about it by far! But this model's way better than the other Chromebooks and can actually compete with Windows RT devices. Please fix the keyboard and I'll buy it!

The keyboard on the other Samsung Chromebooks is awesome, except for the tiny arrow keys and lack of Home/End (yes I know you can use Ctrl+Alt+Up/Down to do it but it's not as good.)

Probably haven't updated it yet.

No 3G connectivity sadly, would have made the thing perfect.

What's the point of the SIM slot then? @_@

So if you get one of these, are you limited to Chrome apps and extensions only?

I mean, nowadays it makes sense for me since I really only use my home PC for Chrome and Steam, but still...

clav

So if you get one of these, are you limited to Chrome apps and extensions only?

I mean, nowadays it makes sense for me since I really only use my home PC for Chrome and Steam, but still...

Yep. For most home users, Chrome OS actually makes sense since most people just use a computer to browse the Internet and listen music/watch videos from YouTube and other Flash/HTML5 video sites.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It really depends on whether or not those 6 1/2 hours are rated for video playback or casual browsing or what. Battery life is always YMMV.

Google devices are usually rated fairly accurately compared to the competition, which tends to embellish things a little. Like the Nexus 7 was rated for 9 hours, but that was playing HD video for all of that time.

Ssshhhhhh...

The keyboard on the other Samsung Chromebooks is awesome, except for the arrow keys and lack of Home/End (yes I know you can use Ctrl+Left/Right to do it but it's not as good.)

Probably haven't updated it yet.

What's the point of the SIM slot then? @_@

Novelty. like the secret slot for Vita.

dwebo

video playback is one of the lower power use cases nowadays since everything is hardware accelerated. it's not really a big plus to say it can do 1080p30, since basically every recent smartphone/tablet can do likewise, except when you consider that the first chromebooks had atom processors incapable of hardware video decoding (and thus couldn't)

in any case, spec pages are never conservative with their battery life numbers. what people were worrying about (or at least I am) is that the new a15 chips would be potentially much more power-hungry, and this isn't a good sign

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dat ugly hinge.

Brett, you're on dev right? Is proper multi-monitor finally in? That's probably the biggest thing holding me back right now.

The other is lack of a proper Chrome code app, but I'm fixing that problem myself...

SuperbText.png

This is way too ahead of its time for me, but it's a great looking laptop. Chrome/Samsung logo placement sucks, though.

Do Chrome OS trackpads suck like most Windows ones? If they're not exactly the same, not familiar with the subject but I always hear complaints.

No. The trackpad on the OG Samsung Chromebook was fricking awesome and I can only imagine it's gotten even better.

I don't use Macs though, so I don't have a taste for the best trackpads. But to me it was great, two-finger scrolling was always really fricking smooth.

Kiraly

I can't seem to find a SIM slot on the pictures?

Now that I think of it - shouldn't an Exynos SoC have such connectivity embedded on the chip?

tfur

Does it have terminal access or command line access? Can I ssh to a server?. What are the supported VPN connection types?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom