• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Chromebook |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhdeh

Wow $250 is pretty crazy if it can do YouTube 720p smoothly. Other than MS Office, there probably isn't much else most people need that you can't do in the browser.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
My wife's been looking into a Macbook Air to basically just read email, browse, watch videos. Eff that now. This thing appears to be a much better option.

Yeah. If I can comfortably VPN and then ssh, I will order one to play with.

Seems that it works:
Description
Access other computers or allow another user to access your computer securely over the Internet.

Chrome Remote Desktop BETA allows users to remotely access another computer through Chrome browser or a Chromebook

Not sure about VPN though.

Kiraly

I don't think that's a sim slot btw, seems to big for that.

3g connectivity isn't stated anywhere also.

Polari

Finally smartbooks have arrived! Macbook Air size with a netbook price. If only this was running Fedora instead of Chrome OS.

I feel as though this is going to be a missed opportunity. How tightly integrated are Google Books, Movies and Music with Chrome? Can you connect media players, iPods etc? Google Docs/Drive is still pretty lacking despite years of development. Google have been handed a massive opportunity by Microsoft with Windows 8 being so incredibly fucked in terms of usability, but it doesn't seem like they've got a strong enough product to take advantage.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Finally smartbooks have arrived! Macbook Air size with a netbook price. If only this was running Fedora instead of Chrome OS.

AFAIK like most Linux distros, Fedora doesn't have an ARM version. But we're still Gnome 3 bros.

I feel as though this is going to be a missed opportunity. How tightly integrated are Google Books, Movies and Music with Chrome?

Books
Movies (can also be viewed on YouTube)
Music (janky, but I use it every day)

Can you connect media players, iPods etc?

If they're mass storage-enabled, yes. Chrome OS has a local music player app for songs on the SSD or external devices.

Google Docs/Drive is still pretty lacking despite years of development.

In what ways? Seems pretty robust for me, the desktop uploader could use some improvement though.

Google have been handed a massive opportunity by Microsoft with Windows 8 being so incredibly fucked in terms of usability, but it doesn't seem like they've got a strong enough product to take advantage.

I think Microsoft's pricing themselves completely out of the market that this Chromebook is set to capitalize on. Which is a shame for Microsoft, since Windows 8 is designed for, let's say, less computer savvy users.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Would this work as a cheap word processor?

I think Google Docs is amazing.

3G for $329

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009M2YNWI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chrome, 11.6 inches Display
Samsung Exynos 4210 1.7 GHz
2 GB RAM Memory
802_11_ABG wireless

-----------------------

Wifi for $249

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009LL9VDG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

11.6 inches Display
Samsung Exynos 5250
2 GB DDR3L RAM
1.5W Speaker and 0.3M Integrated Camera
› See more product details

3G VERSION!!! YES

Is the 3G processor better?

No wireless N on the 3G version? No webcam either? Hmm, they're still probably putting the page together...

dwebo

What up with the different processors? That can't be right, right?

yeah, it's weird. assuming it's not an amazon error, maybe samsung can't build enough of the newer ones, though I doubt that's the reason since chromebooks are still pretty niche. maybe google had to shift to a lower power chip to offset the 3g power usage and maintain the same battery life

Kiraly

yeah, it's weird. assuming it's not an amazon error, maybe samsung can't build enough of the newer ones, though I doubt that's the reason since chromebooks are still pretty niche. maybe google had to shift to a lower power chip to offset the 3g power usage and maintain the same battery life

Nah, it can't be right. It is the same SoC used in the Galaxy S II, which is like 1.5 years old.

I think Google Docs is amazing.

3G VERSION!!! YES

Is the 3G processor better?

i have the 3G in my CR-48. havent touched it. to me that's like a wasted money. but would be nice for light mail and word document stuff. other than that meh. D:

everyone should preorder both just to see lol.

Lunchbox

Banned
that big samsung logo makes it look ghetto. should remove it and keep it plain

i mean imagine sitting next to a guy with a macbook air with a glowing apple. you just look poor

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
i have the 3G in my CR-48. havent touched it. to me that's like a wasted money. but would be nice for light mail and word document stuff. other than that meh. D:

everyone should preorder both just to see lol.

Yeah, but I just have a voice in the back of my head, "What if you're out and about?"

gcubed

Yeah, but I just have a voice in the back of my head, "What if you're out and about?"

tether

edit.. also i feel like people are missing out that its a web browser. If you don't like google docs just use skydrive and office web apps

dwebo

Nah, it can't be right. It is the same SoC used in the Galaxy S II, which is like 1.5 years old.

then it's probably an amazon error. wouldn't be the first time they've put up wrong specs right when a product is initially listed

Kiraly

use that android phone of yours.

hope they release it before end of month.
what is the turnaround when they put up other stuff like nexus 7?

Google Chrome Blog:

Next week it will be available for sale from these same online retailers as well as the Google Play store.

Futureman

THAT scares me. How many apps/extensions wouldn't work because its using ARM?

Its the same reason why I'm not getting a Windows RT device...

apps are just webpages so I assume everything still works whether ARM or not.

though isn't the game Bastion done with the Native Client tech? So that wouldn't work here?

Google Chrome Blog:

Next week it will be available for sale from these same online retailers as well as the Google Play store.

Starting today, the new Samsung Chromebook is available for pre-order online from Amazon, Best Buy, PC World and other retailers. Next week it will be available for sale from these same online retailers as well as the Google Play store.

oh i see. still hoping they ship out early for us D:

Cipherr

250 and you can get a 11.6 inch netbook with a dual core intel processor, windows 7 premium and 320 gig hard drive

Yeah, cheap or not I dont get the appeal. I think the idea they are pushing with Chrome OS is worth exploring. Things may very well go that way in the future, so they should be exploring it. But as a consumer, I couldn't give two shits about these things. I cant see myself buying one even if they were $99 for the same device.

Like someone else said, waaay ahead of its time atm. Id much rather just grab a cheap W7 laptop.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

use that android phone of yours.

Battery sucks too much for that. :(

download FoxFi from the market, no root needed

Broken in Jelly Bean.

However Share Everything includes tethering, so native Wi-Fi tethering works like a charm.

250 and you can get a 11.6 inch netbook with a dual core intel processor, windows 7 premium and 320 gig hard drive

Except it's thicker, heavier, and has worse battery.

Jal

So you cant watch video from USB or a network drive then? wikipedia says the media player only does mp3 and jpeg.

Somnid

If your looking at a Chromebook know that the choice between this and a tablet is mostly the ability to Word Process at the expensive of games (with the form factor to consider of course).

Polari

In what ways? Seems pretty robust for me, the desktop uploader could use some improvement though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive advocate of it but writing my dissertation last year there were still some pretty crippling bugs in terms of it handling formatting screwy (and this is working entirely within the native format). I'm sure it's improved since then, but at that point it wasn't what I consider production-ready for serious work.

Anyway, I do love the concept of Chrome OS but there's just too many things I do on my computer beyond the web browser. If they'd taken GNOME 3 and integrated it really well with their services I'd be sold. There is generally an up-to-date Fedora build for ARM btw, not sure if it comes from the project itself or is from the community though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom