• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volotaire

Galaxy Note 5

galaxy-note-5-138-1280x851.jpg
galaxy-note-5-139-1280x851.jpg
galaxy-note-5-134-1280x851.jpg
galaxy-note-5-133-1280x851.jpg
Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-and-S6-edge-official-cases.jpg

Note 5 Specs

• 5.7-inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel display (518 ppi)
  • Super AMOLED
  • Android 5.1 (at launch) , TouchWiz
  • Exynos 7420 octa-core (2.1GHz quad + 1.5GHz quad) 64bit, 14nm
  • Graphics processor: ARM Mali-T760 MP8
  • RAM: 4GB (LPDDR4)
  • Camera Rear: 16MP, f/1.9, OIS, phase detection auto focus4K video, slow motion video
  • Camera Front: 5MP Front, f/1.9
  • Dimensions metric: 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6mm (HxWxD)
  • Dimensions imperial: 6.03 x 3.00 x 0.30 inches (HxWxD)
  • Screen-to-body ratio: 76.62
  • Weight: 171 g (6.03 oz)
  • Battery: 3000mAH non removable
  • Colours (varies by market) :Black Sapphire, White Pearl, Gold Platinum

Changes from Note 4:

• The Galaxy Note 5 measures 153.2 x 76.1 x 7.6mm compared to the very slightly larger Note 4 that measures 153.5 x 78.6 x 8.5mm. The Note 5 is also lighter than the 176g Note 4, hitting the scales at 171g.
  • Aside from the slightly smaller and lighter build, along with the switch to aluminium, the Note 5 looks very similar to the Note 4 though, with a near edge-to-edge screen, S Pen and flat home button. The Note 4 is available in white, black and bronze colour options, while the Note 5 comes in white, black and gold.
  • The Galaxy Note 5 features a 16-megapixel rear snapper with an aperture of f/1.9, along with a 5-megapixel front-facing camera, that also has an aperture of f/1.9. The Galaxy Note 4 has the same megapixels on the rear, but an aperture of f/2.4
  • Front camera: Note 4 features a 3.7-megapixel sensor with an f/1.9 aperture vs. Note 5 ups the megapixels in this instance, but aperture remains the same.
  • Note 5 has a octa-core Exynos chipset made up of four 2.1GHz cores and four 1.5GHz cores, and supported by 4GB of RAM. The Galaxy Note 4 features a 2.7GHz quad-core chip and 3GB of RAM.
  • The Note 5 will come in 32GB, 64GB and 128Gb storage capacities but there is no microSD support for storage expansion. The Note 4 is available in 32GB only but it was expandable via microSD up to 128GB.
  • Write when screen is off
  • Clicking mechanism for stylus
  • Improved Air Command (icon hovers to all S-Pen tools from any screen when S-Pen out
  • Keyboard cover a la Blackberry layout available
  • No SD Card slot
  • No removable battery
  • Battery reduced from 3220 to 3000mAH
  • Both Qi and Powermat wireless charging available out of the box
  • New fast charging tech
  • Closer material Design icons
  • YouTube livestreaming in camera app ( Stream are up to 1080p resolution at 60fps)
  • New screenshot mode of entire screen including what's not shown on screen (i.e. requiring scrolling)

- Android Authority Note 5 vs. Note 4 Quick Look

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Galaxy S6+ Edge

S6+ Edge Specs

• 5.7-inch, 2560 x 1440 pixel display (515 ppi)
  • Super AMOLED
  • Android 5.1 (at launch), TouchWiz
  • Exynos 7420 octa-core (2.1GHz quad + 1.5GHz quad) 64bit, 14nm
  • Graphics processor: ARM Mali-T760 MP8
  • RAM: 4GB (LPDDR4)
  • Camera Rear: 16MP, f/1.9, OIS, phase detection auto focus4K video, slow motion video
  • Camera Front: 5MP Front, f/1.9
  • Dimensions: 6.08 x 2.98 x 0.27 inches (154.4 x 75.8 x 6.9 mm)
    [*[Weight: 153 grams
  • Screen-to-body ratio:76.62 %
  • Battery; 3000 mAH non removable
  • PMA/Qi wireless charging
  • No stylus included
  • Fingerprint scanner

Changes:

• 5.7 inch screen increased from 5.1 inches
  • The Samsung Galaxy S6 edge measures 142.1 x 70.1 x 7mm, vs. Samsung Galaxy S6 edge Plus measures 154.4 x 75.8 x 6.9mm.
  • The S6 edge weighs 132g vs. the S6 edge Plus that hits the scales at 153g.
  • Battery increased from 2600mAH to 3000 maH
  • Increase from 3GB to 4GB RAM
  • Smaller dimensions of phone
  • New fast charging tech
  • Closer material Design icons
  • YouTube livestreaming in camera app ( Stream are up to 1080p resolution at 60fps)
  • New screenshot mode of entire screen including what's not shown on screen (i.e. requiring scrolling)

- PhoneArena Changes to the S6+ Edge

Accessories

- Phone Arena Hands on Keyboard Cover

The two new phones also introduce a couple of new features:

- A button in their camera apps activates a "live broadcast" mode, which streams 1080p high definition video to YouTube and sends invitations to selected acquaintances.
- They support the ultra-high quality audio (UHQA) format. A new hardware component means there should be "less sound distortion" when files saved in the codec are played. Users can also use bundled software to "upscale" existing MP3s.

Websites

Videos

Launches:
  • NO Note 5 launch planned for UK
  • NO Note 5 Launch for Europe
  • S6+ Edge launches September 4th UK
  • The Galaxy Note 5 launches US all carriers on August 21.
  • The Galaxy S6 Edge+ launches globally on August 21.

Smaller battery, No SD card, biggest option you can purchase is 64GB, does not compute.

Im going to miss the stylus but I guess its time to jump ship to the Moto X or the LG G4.

What a disappointment.

hohoXD123

Haha, they actually got rid of micro SD and removable battery, and reduced battery size on a phone aimed at power users. This won't be pretty.

CronoShot

Smaller battery, No SD card, biggest option you can purchase is 64GB, does not compute.

Im going to miss the stylus but I guess its time to jump ship to the Moto X or the LG G4.

What a disappointment.

But it looks pretty. That's (apparently) the most important thing. Not functionality.

hohoXD123

Must admit though, the new S pen and S pen features look pretty sweet. Hopefully there will be a way to add those features to older phones.

highrider

Banned
So, guess I'm getting a note 4 if I jump from my 3. Hope they come out with some super otterbox for it, as I'll need it forever apparently.

No SD Card slot
No removable battery

NOPE!

Galaxy S5/Note 4 remain the best Samsung phones to-date.

Samsung has completely dropped the ball. The S5/Note 4 are great phones. REMOVING key standout features, like water resistance, is just mind-boggling.

Sai

Changes from Note 4:

• No SD Card slot
  • No removable battery

Booooo.

I still have my Note 3, but I definitely don't want this for the above reasons, and I'm not even sure if I want to upgrade to the 4.

I'll miss the stylus, but maybe I should try out the Moto X, or the next Nexus.

Anyone else with a standard S6 notice the battery life is terrible now?

The Samsung effect, happens to all their phones, including the Note 4, I was ready to jump ship to another brand on this alone but was still hoping for them to at least iterate on their previous features, its kind of funny how going from the Note 3 to the Note 5 will feel more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

Samsung is looking nowhere near as dominant announcing an upgrade so soon after previous launch. they know OPO, Xiaomi, Nexus and Moto are about to run over them

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Is the "edge" part of these phones actually useful or just a gimmick?

I would consider it, but not if it increases the price of the phone a good deal.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't understand getting rid of the removable battery and SD card on the Note line. It seems like that's the preferred phone for power users.

Coolluck

What a disappointment.

I don't know. The touch screen on the LG G4 is pretty annoying actually. Definitely doesn't feel as responsive as it should.

Shit, now I don't know if I should get a note 4 instead of a 5. Dammit why those two stupid ass choices to remove the battery and memory card?

August 21st. Fantastic. That is next week. Still eying the Note 5. Hopefully reviews that come out ease my concern about the battery.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
No SD card, smaller battery, no Europe release?

Is Samsung deliberately sabotaging this one?

Nothing announced on a new GearVR for it either? Jesus, how has this company swerved into shitsville so swiftly.

Getting the Note 4 in November then. Hoping my carrier drops the price for it by then but Canadian carriers are so bad right now that I doubt it'll be much.

hohoXD123

No SD card, smaller battery, no Europe release?

Is Samsung deliberately sabotaging this one?

Nothing announced on a new GearVR for it either? Jesus, how has this company swerved into shitsville so swiftly.

The event is still going on. Guessing they'll announce the consumer Gear VR in a bit.

womp

Welp, Note 4 it is. I have been waiting with baited breath to upgrade next month from my piece of shit HTC One M7. Note 5 removes features while not really adding any that I want. Outside a probably slightly faster processor and an extra gig of RAM, this looks like a downgrade to me.

Paznos

Smaller battery is crazy I actually thought it would be 4100 mAh. It's also weird there isn't an 128GB version but there was one for the S6, that wouldn't be a problem but they got rid of the microsd card slot.

They go on about listening and learning, but still drop SD card slot on a productivity, multi-tasking phone? That doesn't even make sense.

Note 5 is a no-go for me. Will consider Note 4 once prices trickle downwards (which won't happen too soon if Europe aren't even getting the Note 5).

Hopefully Sony show some good things next month for their Z5.

USC-fan

Banned
So glad I brought my note 4 and didn't wait for note 5.

This is a huge step back. Samsung just doesn't get it. Sure they will be surprised when sales bomb on this just like s6.

Stop trying to make an iPhone.

I have a 9000mah battery on my note 4 with 64GB sd card.

Busaiku

Dang, maybe it's time to really weigh my options for something else.
Stylus probably isn't worth all that crap vs Moto X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom