• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 Edge+ Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The event is still going on. Guessing they'll announce the consumer Gear VR in a bit.

Nope. Over. Enjoy divebombing into irrelevance Samsung. Chasing Blackberry market is... hello? Is anyone driving this company at all?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
2crot51jpg.gif
Not the best time to be dropping the ball with Moto et al biting your ankles.

both the note 5 and the edge+ have 5.7" screens now. wtf, streamline your line-up, add a stylus to the edge and call it the edge note.

mackattk

No SD card slot, no removable battery, not waterproof. At least it has built in wireless charging.

If you are going to make a flagship sealed device, at least make it waterproof.

Did i miss something, or is UK the only country in Europe? Because i only read something about the Note not being avaibable in the UK ... and nothing about the rest of Europe ... you know, the mainland ... with countries like France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc.
Could we not make that UK = Europe stuff, please?

Reduced specs (battery), removed features (battery changing, sd-card) ... nope, not interested ... not even one bit.
Samsung tries so hard to be like Apple ... with shady sh*t that Apple likes to do ... but they don't get the free pass for it.
Instead of mimcing Apple, they should try and make some good products again ....

Oh well, bring on Googles flagship announcements!

Edit:

Ok, german tech-sites reporting the lack of the Note 5 here and in all of Europe, too. Maybe the OP could update the first post with the absence in Europe, not only UK.

So glad I brought my note 4 and didn't wait for note 5.

This is a huge step back. Samsung just doesn't get it. Sure they will be surprised when sales bomb on this just like s6.

Stop trying to make an iPhone.

I have a 9000mah battery on my note 4 with 64GB sd card.
Yeah, I'm glad I went with the Note 4 too. If I wanted a non removable battery and no SD storage I'd honestly just buy an iPhone, I have no huge allegiance to either ecosystem (have iPad Mini and Nexus 10 in addition to my phone).

I do use the stylus stuff on my Note 4 quite a bit for note taking at work, but it's not something that's 100% life changing. I can just buy a 50 cent notepad that does the same thing.

If Android phones don't make any big improvements, or at least stop regressing like Samsung is doing, I'll probably be sticking with my Note 4 for a long time, mainly due to the fact that I can upgrade the storage when I want and replace the battery when it starts to die.

jrcbandit

Reducing the size of the battery and making it non removable is a horrible move, especially with quick charge that will reduce battery life quicker.

SD card use just needs to die already, incredibly slow compared to native storage, much more limited use in Android 5 unless you hack it, confusing to casual users about where their photos, etc are located, i.e., Internal vs external sd card partition. That said, the sizes by Samsung are ridiculous in 2015, should start with 64gb and offer 128 and 256gb.

NeOak

Is the "edge" part of these phones actually useful or just a gimmick?

I would consider it, but not if it increases the price of the phone a good deal.
Do you like the screen to flash colors when you get a call while the phone is face down?

That's what they advertise.

Oh, and it's $200 bucks extra.

SMattera

Do you like the screen to flash colors when you get a call while the phone is face down?

That's what they advertise.

Oh, and it's $200 bucks extra.

Extra $100.

My biggest beef is that they seem to have gone backward. Not in the removable battery, micro SD slot -- I don't think either of those things matter as much as people think they do.

Rather, it's with the curve. The Note Edge had legitimately cool uses for its curved edge. But it seemed like an experiment. I though Samsung would push more exclusive features with the S6 Edge and Edge+. Seems like it's not happening.

gogogow

Galaxy S6+ Edge

Changes:

• 5.7 inch screen increased from 5.5 inches
  • Smaller dimensions of phone
  • No SD Card slot
  • No removable battery
  • New fast charging tech
  • Closer material Design icons
  • YouTube livestreaming in camera app ( Stream are up to 1080p resolution at 60fps)
  • New screenshot mode of entire screen including what's not shown on screen (i.e. requiring scrolling)

Should be 5.7 vs 5.1.

So glad I brought my note 4 and didn't wait for note 5.

This is a huge step back. Samsung just doesn't get it. Sure they will be surprised when sales bomb on this just like s6.

Stop trying to make an iPhone.

I have a 9000mah battery on my note 4 with 64GB sd card.
How do you have that battery? Does it make the phone bigger?

Am Interested in that keyboard add on but only if it doesn't cover icons.

Azulsky

This has been an ever more disappointing year for them.

Will be interesting to see what share of the Android userbase they retain(currently about 36%) with flagship launches like this.

Im sure they will still sell plenty but miss targets.

- J - D -

A pretty sad showing. The display isn't any different on these compared to the smaller S6/S6 Edge. Resolution is the same, ppi is the same. The CPU and GPU are the same. The gulf between the Note 4 and the S5 was a lot wider, which is what you expect, but the Note 5/Edge+ isn't much different compared to it's smaller siblings.

both the note 5 and the edge+ have 5.7" screens now. wtf, streamline your line-up, add a stylus to the edge and call it the edge note.

Originally they did have the Note Edge. Not sure why they switched the naming over to the S6.

Maybe because it's sales sucked when it was on the "Note" nomenclature?

Should be 5.7 vs 5.1.

This. I was going to remark that I've used my nephews S6 Edge and was not going to be very excited for 0.2" more. (TWSS)!

But yea, 5.7-5.1 difference sounds much more like it...

sangreal

Changes:
5.7 inch screen increased from 5.1 inches
Smaller dimensions of phone
No SD Card slot
No removable battery
New fast charging tech
Closer material Design icons
YouTube livestreaming in camera app ( Stream are up to 1080p resolution at 60fps)
New screenshot mode of entire screen including what's not shown on screen (i.e. requiring scrolling)

Changes from what? S6 Edge already has no sd card or removable battery and has fast charging

Volotaire

Changes:
5.7 inch screen increased from 5.1 inches
Smaller dimensions of phone
No SD Card slot
No removable battery
New fast charging tech
Closer material Design icons
YouTube livestreaming in camera app ( Stream are up to 1080p resolution at 60fps)
New screenshot mode of entire screen including what's not shown on screen (i.e. requiring scrolling)

Changes from what? S6 Edge already has no sd card, removable battery and has fast charging

Woops, just was copying pasting from the Note 5 section. Thanks!

MarkusRJR

Samsung's seriously fucking up their phones this year. Removing MicroSD slots, removeable batteries, and having smaller batteries, all so they can have glass backs.

Samsung is Samsung's biggest problem at this point. Their low end is turning to shit due to Moto and Chinese manufacturers, and they're turning off their high end fan base with changes like this. They're basically selling iPhones that run a TouchWiz skinned Android.

gimmmick

Solid phone, but it's so similar to the s6 in all aspects (except ram and battery).

Not sure why people are so pissed off about no micro sd slot or extra battery. Apple has been doing this like forever and no one is giving two shits about it. I guess it must be an android thing.

basically an s6 + with stylus. lmao

I'll stick with my note 4. I'm running the S6 version of touchwiz so it's pretty much an upgrade over the note 5

nib95

Banned
Solid phone, but it's so similar to the s6 in all aspects (except ram and battery).

Not sure why people are so pissed off about no micro sd slot or extra battery. Apple has been doing this like forever and no one is giving two shits about it. I guess it must be an android thing.

There's only so much you can do these days. It still has things like improved form factor, better specs, better camera (OIS + VDIS), better 4G support, faster wireless charging, improved OS features etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the battery life is still better than the Note 4, despite the slightly smaller mAh capacity.

antispin

Really sad that my Note Edge is the last Note I'll own. Will either go Motorola or iPhone 6S+ next. Probably Motorola if the camera is as good as they say it is. I need plenty of local storage.

Shepard

Samsung's seriously fucking up their phones this year. Removing MicroSD slots, removeable batteries, and having smaller batteries, all so they can have glass backs.

Samsung is Samsung's biggest problem at this point. Their low end is turning to shit due to Moto and Chinese manufacturers, and they're turning off their high end fan base with changes like this. They're basically selling iPhones that run a TouchWiz skinned Android.

Well, I have an S6 and I have to say it is the best android phone I've ever had. I've never bought any spare battery in any phone before (also, fast charge really makes up for lack of battery, that thing is magical), internal memory is big enough so storage isn't a problem, and performance is the most reliable thing I've ever seen on Android, both from the system and the camera point of view. I really don't know why people get this upset: there are a lot of other android companies doing phones just the way you want: LG, HTC, Motorola... Why should Samsung make another plastic phone with features that only a small userbase will use (removable battery, sd card)? I'm glad they went another direction and now we have an android with great build quality and reliable performance all round. Really hope they'll improve upon it in the future.

nib95

Banned

You're understating what they offer. With a Galaxy device you're getting essentially the best screen on the market (in both black levels, contrast, white balance and colour accuracy), the best camera (and an amazing rear camera), one of the fastest phones, and one of the most feature rich in terms of software features (split screen multitasking is a must), not to mention other decent little touches like getting a Wolfson DAC (audiophiles will appreciate that), built in wireless charging etc.

Naturally the loss of sd card slot and removable battery are definite negatives, but the phones are much nicer looking as a result. It's a trade off, and I can understand why not everyone appreciates it, but there's more to their devices than just that.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
My Note 3 in its spigen neo hybrid case laughs at all of this.

Thank goodness for the note 3 and 4

No reason for me to upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom