• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung S95B QD-OLED First Impressions (HDTVTest)

From the pro calibrator Keep it Classy Tech:

This S95B is something truly incredible and for the money is crazy.
1500+nits small highlights, 1000+ 10%, 215+ full field after matching the white to my calibrated C1. And it did hit 90% bt2020.

LG just lost the gaming crown. WRGB OLED is now mid tier or this is a new tier altogether.

I think the A95K is mostly going to be motion/processing differences only.

The Samsung doesn't need a heatsink. It has different glass that supposedly cools faster and I never saw image retention at all.

dotnotbot

I doubt it'll be as good as the Sony QD OLED

We can already see it has undefeatable dynamic tonemapping that overbrightens whole picture. Accurate brightness mapping in HDR is very important, it's not just preference like in SDR. Even professional calibration won't be able to help.

It costs almost 1000$ less and it has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports compared to just one in the Sony TV.

Lies, Sony has 2x 2.1 ports (and also Dolby Vision support).

Last edited:

dotnotbot

What happeend to rtings? They haven't had any reviews of these new sets.

nuFmD7W.png

In case of OLEDs their tests are mostly useless anyway.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking forward to some new rounds of TVs. Hopefully samsung will add dolby vision and I may upgrade my CX in a couple of years as tech continues to get better. 77 inch next. Ooosh.

ParaSeoul

Its toggleable. Its to prevent burn in but is likely unnecessary. Vincent says its more noticeable than LGs usage
It looked pretty noticeable in the short example he showed,you can see the screen shifting around like a dvd screensaver. I don't notice it at all on my C1 during normal usage.

Kuranghi

It looked pretty noticeable in the short example he showed,you can see the screen shifting around like a dvd screensaver. I don't notice it at all on my C1 during normal usage.
Sorry I haven't watched vid yet cause I'm at work but is that on a static screen when you pause something or when there's things in motion on screen but there are static elements/a static frame?

Elios83

Lies, Sony has 2x 2.1 ports (and also Dolby Vision support).
Doesn't change the point in the slightest.
The Samsung TV has 4 HDMI2.1 ports and costs almost 1000$ less. Same panel made by Samsung on both.
I'm following both models because it's really likely that this year I will buy one of them, but atm unless it turns out that the Sony model has some significant advantage with motion handling or peak brightness due to the use of a heatsink, it seems Samsung offers a much better deal.
Probably it's also because they can get the panel at a much cheaper price internally.

Last edited:

Reallink

LG gonna have to drop the ever living fuck out of their prices, no one with half a brain should even entertain the thought of a G2 or C2 anywhere near their current premium prices. Even in sizes they don't offer, you're going to see a shit ton of people downgrading would-be 77/83 purchases to a 65 QD or 42/48s to a 55 QD. The side by side differences between wrgb and qd are even larger than wrgb vs lcds. They're going to have to undercut Samsung by like $1000 in a larger size to entice people (i.e $2000 77" C2 or $3000 83" C2). Their only prayer otherwise is that Samsung can't keep up with demand. These things torch moding in Best Buy or Costco are going to move millions upon millions of units to Joe Sixpack to enjoy his Sportsball Heroes on.

Last edited:

Mars2003

Neo Member
How many more years do we think it will be before microLED hits mainstream price/sizes?
They may never get there, other promising tech has fallen away as it just couldn't hit the same economies of scale as LCD and WOLED.

Tech like SED TV looked amazing, but they could never make it cheap enough and in the mean time LCD closed the performance gap (partially) whilst still costing substantially less.

Samsung seem to be hedging their bets here and QD OLED is looking like the winner for the mainstream TV market. It's this backing of two horses that says to me that Micro-LED is miles away or dead in the water.

dotnotbot

Doesn't change the point in the slightest.
The Samsung TV has 4 HDMI2.1 ports and costs almost 1000$ less. Same panel made by Samsung on both.
I'm following both models because it's really likely that this year I will buy one of them, but atm unless it turns out that the Sony model has some significant advantage with motion handling or peak brightness due to the use of a heatsink, it seems Samsung offers a much better deal.
Probably it's also because they can get the panel at a much cheaper price internally.

Yep, I agree it's definitely a better deal overall. Still Sony has it's place with added heatsink and better accuracy. Exciting times, can't wait for Vincent's reviews.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
LG gonna have to drop the ever living fuck out of their prices, no one with half a brain should even entertain the thought of a G2 or C2. Even in sizes they don't offer, you're going to see a shit ton of people downgrading would-be 77/83 purchases to a 65 QD or 42/48s to a 55 QD. The side by side differences between wrgb and qd are even larger than wrgb vs lcds. They're going to have to undercut Samsung by like $1000 in a larger size to entice people (i.e $2000 77" C2 or $3000 83" C2). Their only prayer otherwise is that Samsung can't keep up with demand. These things torch moding in Best Buy or Costco are going to move millions upon millions of units to Joe Sixpack to enjoy his Sportsball Heroes on.

This seems a little extreme no? I havent seen anything in this video that should warrant what you are saying. Maybe I'm missing something? or other reviews that highlight this incredible difference you are mentioning?

wvnative

They may never get there, other promising tech has fallen away as it just couldn't hit the same economies of scale as LCD and WOLED.

Tech like SED TV looked amazing, but they could never make it cheap enough and in the mean time LCD closed the performance gap (partially) whilst still costing substantially less.

Samsung seem to be hedging their bets here and QD OLED is looking like the winner for the mainstream TV market. It's this backing of two horses that says to me that Micro-LED is miles away or dead in the water.

Sad Cry GIF

Reallink

This seems a little extreme no? I havent seen anything in this video that should warrant what you are saying. Maybe I'm missing something? or other reviews that highlight this incredible difference you are mentioning?

Aside from seeing it with your own eyes, literally every YTer with an actual unit on hand says it embarrasses any WRGB (even the heatsink Sony). It's unanimously and clearly/objectively the superior technology.

Reactions: amc
LG gonna have to drop the ever living fuck out of their prices, no one with half a brain should even entertain the thought of a G2 or C2. Even in sizes they don't offer, you're going to see a shit ton of people downgrading would-be 77/83 purchases to a 65 QD or 42/48s to a 55 QD. The side by side differences between wrgb and qd are even larger than wrgb vs lcds. They're going to have to undercut Samsung by like $1000 in a larger size to entice people (i.e $2000 77" C2 or $3000 83" C2). Their only prayer otherwise is that Samsung can't keep up with demand. These things torch moding in Best Buy or Costco are going to move millions upon millions of units to Joe Sixpack to enjoy his Sportsball Heroes on.

What a ridiculous take. The difference will be there though certainly not as significant and game changing as you are attempting to make it seem. Samsung have been behind at the high end for years now. Primarily due to poor managerial decision making I.e. QLED vs OLED, no Dolby Vision support, always on dynamic image processing and absurd prices.

If anyone cares about value the best tv to buy right now is the heavily reduced sale LG C1. They support everything and are great for gaming. In some screen sizes they are literally half the price they were when the launched.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Aside from seeing it with your own eyes, literally every YTer with an actual unit on hand says it embarrasses any WRGB (even the heatsink Sony). It's unanimously and clearly/objectively the superior technology.

Sounds interesting, do you have links?

...Reallinks? :D

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
The difference is very subtle and in most case you won't notice it.
It is not like LCD vs OLED for example.

At least all reviewers/YouTubers points to that.

Last edited:

Reallink

What a ridiculous take. The difference will be there though certainly not as significant and game changing as you are attempting to make it seem. Samsung have been behind at the high end for years now. Primarily due to poor managerial decision making I.e. QLED vs OLED, no Dolby Vision support, always on dynamic image processing and absurd prices.

If anyone cares about value the best tv to buy right now is the heavily reduced sale LG C1. They support everything and are great for gaming. In some screen sizes they are literally half the price they were when the launched.

Watch any video running a side by side, this is a larger and more noticable leap than LCD to WRGB OLED. WRGB trounced LCDs only in low APL and off angle viewing, which are much less prevalent than the colorful high APL content where QD trounces WRGB.

Sounds interesting, do you have links?

...Reallinks? :D

There's a video not even a few post above me in this very thread, you can also check out FOMO (and the people he co-streamed with) as well as Digital Trends impressions.

Last edited:

Arxisz

Not a ridiculous take at all considering literally every youtuber with a unit on hand has described it as game changing and the next real noticable technological leap in tv tech, but keep thinking you're making a point, you will realize in due time your wrong.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

LG gonna have to drop the ever living fuck out of their prices, no one with half a brain should even entertain the thought of a G2 or C2 anywhere near their current premium prices. Even in sizes they don't offer, you're going to see a shit ton of people downgrading would-be 77/83 purchases to a 65 QD or 42/48s to a 55 QD. The side by side differences between wrgb and qd are even larger than wrgb vs lcds. They're going to have to undercut Samsung by like $1000 in a larger size to entice people (i.e $2000 77" C2 or $3000 83" C2). Their only prayer otherwise is that Samsung can't keep up with demand. These things torch moding in Best Buy or Costco are going to move millions upon millions of units to Joe Sixpack to enjoy his Sportsball Heroes on.

Nah, with all due respect you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about, people buy big tellys and they won't downgrade the size even if it means buying entry level LCD vs an OLED, I see it every day.

They can't tell the difference on the shop floor between a mid range QLED and an OLED a lot of the time so this QD-OLED vs WOLED difference will be meaningless to them, it still won't have an APL near a bright LCD.

The shop mode setting of the high end LCDs will still smash that of QD-OLED. Someone above said the 1000+ on a 10% then 215 on a 100%, so what's the 25% and 50%? Because that's what matters on the shop floor in disgusting demo mode.

I appreciate the Sampung brand is powerful and people will buy these things just due to that but people will still buy WOLEDs in bigger sizes at the same price because they can't tell the difference in PQ.

Kuranghi

Watch any video running a side by side, this is a larger and more noticable leap than LCD to WRGB OLED. WRGB trounced LCDs only in low APL and off angle viewing, which are much less prevalent than the colorful high APL content where QD trounces WRGB.

The side by side is done in a dark or light controlled room and the camera is adjusted for the brighter APL TV so as not to blow it out in comparison to the duller one, it won't look any different on the shop floor.

Even though the GZ/HZ2000 was quite a bit brighter than the lower end OLEDs from Sony and LG that year it looked no different on the shop floor, the Panny reps sold it based on brand loyalty or the sound system.

Reallink

Nah, with all due respect you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about, people buy big tellys and they won't downgrade the size even if it means buying entry level LCD vs an OLED, I see it every day.

They can't tell the difference on the shop floor between a mid range QLED and an OLED a lot of the time so this QD-OLED vs WOLED difference will be meaningless to them, it still won't have an APL near a bright LCD.

The shop mode setting of the high end LCDs will still smash that of QD-OLED. Someone above said the 1000+ on a 10% then 215 on a 100%, so what's the 25% and 50%? Because that's what matters on the shop floor in disgusting demo mode.

I appreciate the Sampung brand is powerful and people will buy these things just due to that but people will still buy WOLEDs in bigger sizes at the same price because they can't tell the difference in PQ.

That is precisely my point, watch the side by sides with an LG and QD. This is a clearly noticable difference and it's not just the camera or dark room, the reviewers all confirm the difference is just as obvious to their eyes.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Sorry and it needs to be said again, just to laugh out fucking loud at how stupid what you said that people will downgrade from 55 to 42/48 to get this mythical new tech instead of WOLED lmao that's too funny. You have no clue how the average consumer thinks.

Season 2 Reaction GIF by Insecure on HBO

Top Bottom