• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung S95B QD-OLED First Impressions (HDTVTest)

Have to remember FOMO was just showing a comparison for out of the box uncalibrated sets. His argument is what's more accurate for the average consumer, who won't get their TVs calibrated? I would tend to agree with him on that point.

Well I always remembered Vincent talking about how important peak brightness is to minimize tone mapping and more accurate colors for bright pictures. He wasn't talking about it in every video but he did bring it up from time to time. But yeah that OLED not bright enough video confused a lot of his loyal viewers who didn't realize that fact.
I dont want to criticize Vincent too much, because he is probably right about S95 gamma tracking accuracy. All I really wanted to say is, rather than trusting a single expert (like Vincent) it's always a good idea to watch / read as many reviews as you can, because every single expert has something valuable to say. S95 isnt as bad if people will take all it's pros / cons into account... but of course something like Sony A95K QD-OLED will be even better :).

Last edited:

dDoc

So, out of the box the Sammy S95B's colours are too bright and apparently not what the content creator intended.

Is there a way to set the TV back to the content creator's intentions or not should one wish to do so?

Schnauzer

I returned mine. I noticed compared to my LG G1 and Sony 900H, my eyes were drawn to the wrong thing in movies multiple times. Something that didn't stand out. I realized I was missing out on subtle details in movies because my eyes were distracted/fixated on the wrong thing. I then checked TLC 6 series in our guest room for an additional comparison and can confirm the S95B had a different focal point.

I also noticed other things looked fake...flowers started looking kind of unrealistic (fake). It bugged me so I returned it. I also have the Alienware QD-Oled. The monitor is great for gaming....monitors are so far behind, I don't have anything high quality to really compare it to, so I'm happy with my purchase...however; the pixel refresh prompt every 4 hours of working is annoying... I really think people should skip this years QD-Oled and wait until next year. I have a feeling that 2023 will be a big leap in display technology.

Note: I am the type that always uses Filmmaker mode and watches TV/Movies in a dark room. Please keep that in mind.

vpance

So, out of the box the Sammy S95B's colours are too bright and apparently not what the content creator intended.

Is there a way to set the TV back to the content creator's intentions or not should one wish to do so?

Check the thread on AVS. I think most people are starting off by lowering the gamma.

Reallink

No, it will require a FW fix from Samsung. There are a couple adjustments that fix the midtones, but throws everything else further off target. I suspect they will probably fix filmmaker mode at some point in the future, but leave all the others (including Game) juiced. 95% of people would prefer it juiced.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

I returned mine. I noticed compared to my LG G1 and Sony 900H, my eyes were drawn to the wrong thing in movies multiple times. Something that didn't stand out. I realized I was missing out on subtle details in movies because my eyes were distracted/fixated on the wrong thing. I then checked TLC 6 series in our guest room for an additional comparison and can confirm the S95B had a different focal point.

I also noticed other things looked fake...flowers started looking kind of unrealistic (fake). It bugged me so I returned it. I also have the Alienware QD-Oled. The monitor is great for gaming....monitors are so far behind, I don't have anything high quality to really compare it to, so I'm happy with my purchase...however; the pixel refresh prompt every 4 hours of working is annoying... I really think people should skip this years QD-Oled and wait until next year. I have a feeling that 2023 will be a big leap in display technology.

Note: I am the type that always uses Filmmaker mode and watches TV/Movies in a dark room. Please keep that in mind.

This is exactly what Vincent pointed out in his video, oversaturation and overbrightening leads to random things in the scene stand out too much and being somehow distracting. And once you compare to something more accurate or if you're used to more accurate picture in general you'll notice the "fakeness" even if it feels impreessive at first glance.

That's my experience with wrongly set monitors/TVs as well, after some time they get annoying, even to the point of causing fatigue to my eyes.

vpance

Rtings review 9.1

That overbrightening in game mode is wild. The color volume though 👍

Untitled.png

Comfortably at the top in this category vs all the other TVs they've reviewed

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Rtings review 9.1

That overbrightening in game mode is wild. The color volume though 👍

Untitled.png

Comfortably at the top in this category vs all the other TVs they've reviewed
Losing black level in a room with light is really crazy though.

Last edited:
WOLED's can display accurate colors up to 350-400 nits range (above that colors start turning into white because of white subpixel), so even 600/700 nits picture will look more accurate on S95 in that regard. FOMO has used 600 nits demo in his comparison, and S95 was clearly showing much more bright colors on the heat map. With 2000 / 4000 nits content LG WOLED was simply destroyed as you can see in his video.

Because of Vincent people think S95 bright picture is just a gimmick (boosted settings), but here's interesting comparison between Sony X95K, and S95. As anyone can see picture on X95K is still a little bit brighter, but there's not a huge difference like it was with WOLED's (and even LG G2 looks extremely dim next to MINI LEDs). No amount of tweaking will help LG G2 reach mini led level of brightness, therefore suggesting S95 brightness is a gimmick is just ridiculous.

People view Vincent as a guru when it comes to display technology and trust him. Personally I cant trust him after his "your OLED is not bright enough for HDR" video. For many years he was recommending OLED's for HDR, and later on he addmited WOLED wasnt bright enough LOL.

OLED is great for the contrast, which makes the HDR pop. It's not bright enough to get all of the details, though. I don't see how he contradicted himself on that one (not that it matters lol).

Elios83

Just saw this pop up. Seems like they caved and fixed the filmmaker mode (y)

I'm letting them iron out the bugs and include more options, then if I can find a deal like the "no VAT days" I'm really really tempted to get it.

Last edited:

Stafford

It looks like samsung has improved accuracy with firmware update

Yeah, but tons of people on AVS are not happy and that's putting it mildly. Many of them loved the very bright movie and game modes, and both are "nerfed" now. For some reason movie mode is exactly the same as film maker mode, and Game mode doesn't "pop" nearly as much anymore. They went from 1500 nits to 1000. Someone named FF7R as example, how that used to shine in HDR and the difference after the firmware update is very noticeable.

Samsung also just doesn't give a fuck whether you choose no to auto updates or not because they just force the update on you anyway. People have decided to leave their TV offline to avoid having updates pushed on them. Absolutely ridiculous.

Was planning on getting the TV myself, upgrade over my C9 but this shit has me very reluctant. Apparently build quality is pretty bad too.

iHaunter

I doubt it'll be as good as the Sony QD OLED
It's already been confirmed. Sony's QD-OLED has the highest color accuracy of ANY TV on the market to date. And overall it's far better than Samsung's in every way.

Think I'll be upgrading from the QLED to the 95K this year, 65" probably.

Yeah, but tons of people on AVS are not happy and that's putting it mildly. Many of them loved the very bright movie and game modes, and both are "nerfed" now. For some reason movie mode is exactly the same as film maker mode, and Game mode doesn't "pop" nearly as much anymore. They went from 1500 nits to 1000. Someone named FF7R as example, how that used to shine in HDR and the difference after the firmware update is very noticeable.

Samsung also just doesn't give a fuck whether you choose no to auto updates or not because they just force the update on you anyway. People have decided to leave their TV offline to avoid having updates pushed on them. Absolutely ridiculous.

Was planning on getting the TV myself, upgrade over my C9 but this shit has me very reluctant. Apparently build quality is pretty bad too.
It's a first gen product. My OLED B6 had a very similar "nerf" happen to it 6 months after release.

Neofire

It's already been confirmed. Sony's QD-OLED has the highest color accuracy of ANY TV on the market to date. And overall it's far better than Samsung's in every way.

I agree but that 4k price is a bit too much to handle.

Neofire

8K is going to be pointless for a long period of time. No point in thinking about it. There will always be better tech every year. But this is the jump I was waiting for.
You misunderstood me lol I was talking about the 4 thousand dollars price of the 95k.

Elios83

I got this TV through a deal at 1800€ (official price here is 2499€) and I'm super happy.
HDR quality and color volume are simply stunning.
It works perfectly with PS5 in all modes (VRR, 120Hz).

It's also pretty bright, I had a QLED TV before so I'm used to a pretty bright screen and here peak brightness is quite similar, so that's a big accomplishment for OLED based tech (although I have to say that the sky in the beach section in the final Uncharted 4 chapter was still more impactful on QLED).

I'm trying to lose my bad habits of leaving the console on while I do something else to try to avoid burn in as much as possible :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👀

mitchman

Gold Member

Enjoy that single HDMI 2.1 port (or 2 if you're not using a receiver with eARC). That's a hard showstopper for me for any Sony TV right now.

Shtef

Enjoy that single HDMI 2.1 port (or 2 if you're not using a receiver with eARC). That's a hard showstopper for me for any Sony TV right now.
I mean if you are spending that much money on tv i guess you can afford to get hdmi 2.1 av receiver and you will have enough ports.

Swift_Star

Banned
Cause the side by side comparisons sell TV's. They don't want reviewers, YT'ers, and retailers turning off the QD-OLED "Pop", which unarguably embarrasses LG's WOLED's.
I’d rather have something to “pop” while being pleasant to the eyes than being way too “real”. Samsung TVs offer this and I like it.

Elios83

How it is supposed to be far better in every way when it has less HDMI2.1 ports, lower peak brightness, higher input lag in gaming mode and costs almost 1000$ more?
Seriously the hate boner that some people have for Samsung TVs is ridiculous :messenger_grinning_sweat:

No TV is perfect but in this case we're obviously talking about great TVs, among the best you can buy this year (arguably the best) and even Vincent stated that the Samsung is a better choice for gaming.
Also color accuracy is something that can be fixed through firmware, the panel is the same. Just like Samsung already implemented a perfect accuracy mode in film maker mode because of some complaints.
Hardware issues like not enough ports can't be fixed on the contrary.

Swift_Star

Banned
How it is supposed to be far better in every way when it has less HDMI2.1 ports, lower peak brightness, higher input lag in gaming mode and costs almost 1000$ more?
Seriously the hate boner that some people have for Samsung TVs is ridiculous :messenger_grinning_sweat:

No TV is perfect but in this case we're obviously talking about great TVs, among the best you can buy this year (arguably the best) and even Vincent stated that the Samsung is a better choice for gaming.
Also color accuracy is something that can be fixed through firmware, the panel is the same. Just like Samsung already implemented a perfect accuracy mode in film maker mode because of some complaints.
It’s not even the hate boner that is ridiculous. It’s the amount of hyperbole. These high end tvs are barely different from each other in usability and image quality. It boils down to preference tbh. The hyperbole just exists to rile people up.

Last edited:

They won't fix it through an update. Samsung color science is always wacky.

dotnotbot

HDMI 2.1 switches exist. Not the most convenient solution obviously.

Last edited:

Elios83

They won't fix it through an update. Samsung color science is always wacky.
They already fixed it in the new film maker mode which is totally accurate (see Vincent video about it).
And it has nothing to do with color science, it has to with consumers not being calibrators but only caring about what they think look better.
For example what is an accurate white reference is not actually a white, it's a really warm sepia color. Many people don't like that and they don't care it's not accurate.
Also let's be honest most people who act like experts wouldn't understand anything unless they're told on internet :messenger_tears_of_joy: 👀 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

timmyp53

Apparently samsung nuked their brightness from 1500 nits down to like a 1000 when fixing their accuracy. It's all over all the AV and owner forums and threads.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Apparently samsung nuked their brightness from 1500 nits down to like a 1000 when fixing their accuracy. It's all over all the AV and owner forums and threads.

Well, at least Saint Vincent was appeased. That's what's important here. It's a humanitarian crisis when garage hobbyists industry professionals like Vincent and the boys at Digital Foundry don't get their way...or go unacknowledged.

It is curious, however, just how few words have been written or spoken about what an absolute disaster the S95B's remote is. No input button, a ridiculous navigation path just to switch HDMI ports.... But, of course, colors being slightly juiced is the great crime here.

I mean, can you imagine if Samsung made it to the King of TVs shootout in New York with this firmware skullduggery in place? I shudder to think!

Last edited:

Stafford

My set received yesterday(older firmware) and even with the out of the box settings I was blown the hell away. RDR2 (daytime ingame), Gears 5, Psychonauts 2, Metro Exodus and so on have never looked this amazing. It's the combination of amazing colours, brightness and the crispness of the picture that wows me. I now understand why Youtubers like KG said this is how HDR gaming is meant to be played. I did not expect this much of a jump from my C9.

But I have a question, as amazing RDR2 looks during daytime in the game the night is way too fucking bright. Now I now Rockstar made the night in HDR too bright already and I had to put TV brightness on my C9 to 45 or less to get dark nighttime(like SDR does have) but I can't seem to get the night really dark on the S95B.

Anyone with some good settings? I'm on Xbox Series X.

Last edited:

Reallink

My set received yesterday(older firmware) and even with the out of the box settings I was blown the hell away. RDR2 (daytime ingame), Gears 5, Psychonauts 2, Metro Exodus and so on have never looked this amazing. It's the combination of amazing colours, brightness and the crispness of the picture that wows me. I now understand why Youtubers like KG said this is how HDR gaming is meant to be played. I did not expect this much of a jump from my C9.

But I have a question, as amazing RDR2 looks during daytime in the game the night is way too fucking bright. Now I now Rockstar made the night in HDR too bright already and I had to put TV brightness on my C9 to 45 or less to get dark nighttime(like SDR does have) but I can't seem to get the night really dark on the S95B.

Anyone with some good settings? I'm on Xbox Series X.
Most of your issue is the TVs juiced HDR Game Mode if this game mode eotf is still unchanged by the newer updates. That gray line being way above the yellow one means everything is significantly overbrightened, even night time scenes. The downside and hard reality of dat Samsung POP, much wow.

Last edited:

Stafford

Most of your issue is the TVs juiced HDR Game Mode if this game mode eotf is still unchanged by the newer updates. That gray line being way above the yellow one means everything is significantly overbrightened, even night time scenes. The downside and hard reality of dat Samsung wow pop.

Damn, that sucks. Apparently Samsung has fixed it a little with the latest update but I am on 1211 now, so that also still has the 1500 nits too.

What I find odd though is, I fired up Control and the dark, deep black areas in these offices are still very dark, those are not raised or over brightened. That's why I thought it was maybe a HDR setting in RDR2 and FH5 itself.

Ideal would be to have daytime in the games as it is now on my firmware and then have the nights dark too. That would be perfection.

Last edited:

Reallink

Damn, that sucks. Apparently Samsung has fixed it a little with the latest update but I am on 1211 now, so that also still has the 1500 nits too.

What I find odd though is, I fired up Control and the dark, deep black areas in these offices are still very dark, those are not raised or over brightened. That's why I thought it was maybe a HDR setting in RDR2 and FH5 itself.

Ideal would be to have daytime in the games as it is now on my firmware and then have the nights dark too. That would be perfection.

Control likely uses a lot of 0% stimuli (pure black) or very very low simuli in it's dark scenes that would otherwise look "crushed" subjectively on an accurate or reference display. Possibly by design (artistically), or perhaps more likely they "mastered" the levels on a shitty monitor that juiced everything itself (Remedy is known to develop on comparatively shoestring budgets). Fundamentally, it shouldn't be left to the displays to artificially and arbitrarily "fix" video levels. Devs could make daytime look like Samsung's juiced game mode if they wanted to, but for some reason they target stupid shit like 4000 and 10000 nits, which won't exist for decades (if ever) in 99% of consumer displays. When you compress 4000 or 10000 nits into 700-1000, everything's going to be dim as fuck. Trying to fix it with broken sliders, nonsense test patterns, HGIG (which 95% of games don't use), or tonemapping simply doesn't work. Game HDR modes need to be developed ground up to target 1000 nits, period. Increase it to 1500 or 2000 when such displays gain majority marketshare.

Last edited:
Top Bottom