• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown |OT| Buddhists Too Much Damage!

Pejo

I wish they'd just announce/release the PC version finally. I think they've waited long enough to get whatever double dippers they're hoping for at this point, and I want to play the game.

Nymphae

Banned
Two players have intense staredown during Samurai Shodown match for 30 seconds until commentators notice that it's actually a controller issue

During their deciding match of top 16 at Frosty Faustings last night, Guzman and SpaceDetectiveKH start the first round of SamSho as usual before backing off and getting into what appears to be an intense mind game of who is going to make a move first.

Except, that's not what was really going on... and it took nearly everyone almost the entire round to figure it out that wasn't really a staredown in front of them, leading to one of the best tournament clips of the year thus far.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

And here's the finals from this weekend's Frosty Faustings tournament. DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi did you catch XRD? That grand final was intense!

Nymphae

Banned
Switch version available, get on this before March 25th and you'll get a free port of Samurai Shodown 2 (originally available on Neo Geo Pocket Colour)

Players who pick up a first run physical edition or the digital edition (before March 25, 2020) of SamSho on Switch will receive Samurai Shodown! 2 which was originally released on the NeoGeo Pocket Color system back in 1999.

Though PlayStation 4 and Xbox One owners were given the opportunity to download the game's first Season Pass for free, the same promotion will not apply to the Switch.

Instead, SamSho retails on they hybrid console for $49.99 USD plus a Deluxe Edition for $59.99 which will include the Season Pass — so it all technically equals out in the end.

No free season pass, but the game is cheaper.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

26-mina-majikina-now-available-samurai-shodown-snk-running-some-pro.jpg

You can buy her, but not the season pass yet for some reason. SNK is saying that those who buy her early will not have to pay the full price once the season pass is in the store.

Tiamat2san

Hey Nymphae Nymphae .. As a man who only enjoys KoF as a fighting game, will I enjoy this one?
I am not the one you ask but I think I can answer.
Not really the same type of fighting game.
Samurai showdown is more like the first 2 games of the series.
It’s slow, more a mind game type.
You need to know and rely on your regular move .
The risk/reward is gigantic.
On certain condition , 2 hits and you are dead.
Countering and punishing can turn a match in a matter of seconds.
There are combos but it’s not as important as in other games like KOF.

So it’s a worth a try because it is a very good game. True to its roots.

Try to watch some online game on YouTube to see .

Nymphae

Banned
Hey Nymphae Nymphae .. As a man who only enjoys KoF as a fighting game, will I enjoy this one?

Hard to say. It feels quite a bit different from KoF and most other fighters, but it's excellent and worth trying out I think. Tiamat2san Tiamat2san described it well. Execution requirements are relatively low and it's a "simple" 2D plane fighter, with a focus on spacing and punishing. Watch some tournaments, get a feel for the flow of the game.

Mista

Banned
I am not the one you ask but I think I can answer.
Not really the same type of fighting game.
Samurai showdown is more like the first 2 games of the series.
It’s slow, more a mind game type.
You need to know and rely on your regular move .
The risk/reward is gigantic.
On certain condition , 2 hits and you are dead.
Countering and punishing can turn a match in a matter of seconds.
There are combos but it’s not as important as in other games like KOF.

So it’s a worth a try because it is a very good game. True to its roots.

Try to watch some online game on YouTube to see .
Hard to say. It feels quite a bit different from KoF and most other fighters, but it's excellent and worth trying out I think. Tiamat2san Tiamat2san described it well. Execution requirements are relatively low and it's a "simple" 2D plane fighter, with a focus on spacing and punishing. Watch some tournaments, get a feel for the flow of the game.
Thank you fam. I appreciate you :messenger_heart:

Nymphae

Banned

At this moment, Samurai Shodown's listing can be found on the Epic Games Store page. Being that there currently isn't a Steam page for the game, this seems to imply that it will be exclusively available via the Epic Games launcher.

The minimum requirements listed are a Windows 7 operating system, an Intel Core i5, 8 GB of memory, 35 GB of storage space, DirectX11 installed, and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 2GB / AMD Radeon R9 280 3GB graphics card.

For optimal performance, however, it's recommended that you have Windows 10, an Intel Core i7, 16 GB of memory, 35 GB of storage space, DirectX11 installed, and the Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB graphics card.

Samurai Shodown will be available via the Epic Games Store in Spring 2020.

Nymphae

Banned
are you feeling positive about this being on EPIC since the playerbase will be on EPIC's side which I don't think if could be bigger than what it could be on steam.

I don't follow the PC store drama really, I think most people probably want it on Steam? Seems like a weird move to go to EGS.

GHG

To be fair the console online was DOA as well, it has the worst online I've ever played in a fighter, I was never able to get matches.

Well it comes down to whether you choose to allow there to be a chance of life or whether you give up and choose death.

They chose death.

kunonabi

considering SS rarely gets more than 30 viewers on twitch outside of a tourney I doubt a Steam release would have made much difference. Hell, considering how poorly development for season 2 seems to be going and the virus I can't blame them for taking the guaranteed scratch.

kunonabi

petran79

Banned
Finally a release date for PC at least. Unfortunately even on Steam, SNK's online system and lobbies are killing it. SFIV-V and MK9-11 have much better lobbies, same for Arcsys games and Bandai-Namco. KOFXIV lobbies are some of the worst I've seen, really not helping to have a good online community. Same with KOFXIII few years before. I am not talking about netplay, just the way lobbies are organized. If SS has the same lobby system as KOFXIV, it will not make a difference whether it hits Steam or Epic Store. If you want to play with friends, it should not be an issue, but for multiplayer ranked matches and lobbies, SNK is way behind

kunonabi

Sogetsu notes from live stream:

-Fast movement speed, probably a little slower than Kazuki

-New 5B, downwards slash quick, good range, cancelable

-New 2B, worse range, might be low, cancelable

-2C range still good

-New 6D animation

-New Jumping A and B normals

-Jumping C looks like it crossed-up

-Great range on 3D slide, leaves alot of space on block

-New 66B animation, unsafe, still an overhead.

-New Universal Over Head doesnt knock down as expected

-No extra specials

-Pillar damage varies 100, 114, 150,

-Rage version only 3 hits, damage varies, not much chip damage

-Teleport sucks for recoils, recovery much improved though

-Crossup shenanigans with teleport look way more feasible

-Wft - 408 damage, loses damage at long range, combo into from throw/close 5B, looks like it can crossup[cross-undered a jump]

-SSM - full screen, fast, 640 damage

-Attempted Jumping C > bubble hit > Jump-in combo but never succeeded. However, they did combo into a second Jumping C which sadly causes a knockdown.

-Can indeed combo into SSM from bubble

-Bubble issen unblockable looks to be intact

Enjay

Banned
I could've sworn they did this big grand standing interview about how they refused epic's money so they could not be exclusive. lol almost time for the fighting game genre to be put back in its coma.

Edit- https://www.pcgamesn.com/samurai-shodown/exclusive
Apparently they never named epic as the exclusivity deal they turned down, so they never went on the record saying it was epic but lol anyway.
Nobuyuki Kuroki, director and art director on the upcoming Samurai Shodown reboot, has done an interview with Korean gaming website GameFocus, and it seems that developer SNK has turned down an exclusive deal for the PC release of the fighting game by an undisclosed “PC download sales platform” – and some people are guessing that it could be Epic Games.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I could've sworn they did this big grand standing interview about how they refused epic's money so they could not be exclusive. lol almost time for the fighting game genre to be put back in its coma.

Edit- https://www.pcgamesn.com/samurai-shodown/exclusive
Apparently they never named epic as the exclusivity deal they turned down, so they never went on the record saying it was epic but lol anyway.

It would have had to be EGS right? Like what else could it have even been?

Nymphae

Banned
I completely gave up on this game because the netcode was trash and there was other shit to play. Season passes are a hard sell when I can't even play the thing online.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Samurai Spirits, SNK (launching ‘Optimized for Series X/S’ on November 10, 2020)

Optimised for the Xbox platform for the very first time, arcade fighter fan-favourite Samurai Spirits is coming to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S from next-gen console day of launch.

splattered

I was confused on this one... how is it optimized exactly?

McCheese

Why does she look like a sexy twitch streamer? in this timeline isn't she supposed to be younger than in Samurai showdown 3 where she was like 7 or 8.

Based SNK

Top Bottom