• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia & Iran sever ties after execution of top Shia reformist cleric

Status
Not open for further replies.

womfalcs3

Banned
Saudis are pretty impressive themselves

The Saudi Council Of Ministers consist 100 % of the Saudi Monarchy
The Saudi Arabian Cabinet's religious composition is 100 % Sunni
The Saudi Arabian Cabinet's ethnic composition is 100 % Arab
The Saudi Arabian Cabinet's political affiliation consist 100 % of the Saudi Monarchy

Sorry. The ministers that I can think of who aren't members of the royal family:

- Adel Fakieh
- Adel Al-Jubair
- Ali Naimi
- Ibrahim Al-Assaf
- Khalid Al-Falih
- "Something" Isaa (minister of education)
- Minister of Labor
- others

All the ministers are members of the council of ministers.

It's a play by Saudi's and Iranians to enhances the stand-off position between OPEC and the States

You guys know that those two guys are the biggest members of OPEC right? They sit on one table and talk about the "important" stuff, not what they want us to talk about

Facts:
- Oil price down
- It's going to get worst when Iran starts pumping their 1 million barrels soon
- Stand-off on Oil led to the closure of a lot of American Oil companies
- Oil price should hover between $50-60 where it's high enough for Oil producing countries to survive and low enough to prevent US from restarting their companies

Saudi: "Yo RoRo.. market is fucked"
Iran: " tell me about it.. wait until I start pumping"
Saudi: "I know man! what to do now?"
Iran: "You tell me! you're acting all anti-terrorists and shit.. it was perfect dude"
Saudi: "I know, I'm sorry.. Listen!!!"
Iran: "What?"
Saudi: "I'll kill this dude in my prison and we start a decent fight to stir things up"
Iran: "mmm.. Has to be convincing though, not like the Bahrain interference shit that no one buys"
Saudi: "Sounds like a plan."
Iran: "Done.. but hey.. what about our people??!!"
Saudi: "LOL!"
Iran: "ROFL!"
Hilarious. Though this morning's oil price benchmarks are actually lower than yesterday, so maybe the markets aren't buying it.

Nivash

They're doing neither, they only recalled the ambassador. The move appears to be largely symbolic

Yeah, it's the diplomatic equivalent of storming out of a party because your friend made a stupid joke about you. It doesn't mean that you're mortal enemies now or even that you're not friends anymore, just that you felt a need to show that you were insulted. Happens all the time. The Saudis recalled their ambassador to Sweden after we had the gall to criticise their human rights record last spring, for instance.

If they announce plans to shut down their embassy all together and only communicate through proxies, like what happened between the US and Iran after the hostage crisis, then we can start talking about a real diplomatic meltdown.

Breaking : Oman condemns the attacks on the Saudi Embassy and Consulate.

For me this is a holyshit moment, for any one who knows about the region, Oman usually neutral, they don't condemn or agree, to hear them finally say something is surprising.

norinrad

Breaking : Oman condemns the attacks on the Saudi Embassy and Consulate.

For me this is a holyshit moment, for any one who knows about the region, Oman usually neutral, they don't condemn or agree, to hear them finally say something is surprising.

They were probably under pressure to do so. A certain family are doing all they can to isolate Iran, it's not going to work. Might have in the 80s.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Saudi Arabia is creating instability to make oil artificially raise in price again. It's funny that a lot of pundits are saying "well Saudi Arabia is our ally and Iran isn't!" When the administration is being neutral on it.

Saudi Arabia doesn't really seem to be acting like one in this instance when they're trying to force the US to pay attention to them where there are 4 different peace talks going on

They were probably under pressure to do so. A certain family are doing all they can to isolate Iran, it's not going to work. Might have in the 80s.
I don't think so, Saudi and Oman relationship are not strong nor weak since Saudi Arabia doesn't that much pressure over Oman otherwise Oman would've assisted them in Yemen.

norinrad

I don't think so, Saudi and Oman relationship are not strong nor weak since Saudi Arabia doesn't that much pressure over Oman otherwise Oman would've assisted them in Yemen.

I think they haven't asked Oman to do so in Yemen. Though the Saudi's don't need Oman's help in destroying Yemen. The have all the weapons oil money could buy for that.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Kuwait can never cut ties with Iran, nor can the UAE, and Qatar will always go against the wave of its neighbors

Do you mind if I asked for a source for the Kuwaiti news?

thanks

I wouldn't be so sure. SA has a lot of sway here in Kuwait. A lot of powerful people in the government have close ties with the Saudi's and are constantly pushing to follow in their footsteps. Already there have been several vocal MPs calling for the severing of all ties to Iran.

BREAKING: Members of 'terrorist cell' linked to Revolutionary Guard and Hezbollah arrested in #Bahrain,
Source : Skynews Arabia

And Djibouti sever ties (same source)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Saudi Arabia is creating instability to make oil artificially raise in price again. It's funny that a lot of pundits are saying "well Saudi Arabia is our ally and Iran isn't!" When the administration is being neutral on it.

Saudi Arabia doesn't really seem to be acting like one in this instance when they're trying to force the US to pay attention to them where there are 4 different peace talks going on
If they want to raise prices all they have to do is raise prices or stop flooding the market

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Dubai International Airport-Knight, please post sources for your "Breaking" yet insignificant news, otherwise you sound like a madman writing "Breaking" everywhere.

Yup

Plus they condemned the attack on the embassy, not the government, quite a difference there, and then immediately after offered to mediate between the two nations. Like every other thing DXB has posted, nothing really newsworthy.

Their economy is also going down the shitter:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/05/news/economy/saudi-arabia-oil-budget-gas/index.html

A spat with their greatest rival is a good way to distract the general population from rising gas and water prices.

If they want to raise prices all they have to do is raise prices or stop flooding the market

I think Saudi Arabia's goal is still to price their competitors out of the market. The problem for them is that the riyal is pegged to the strong greenback, so they are not able to drop the value of their currency. They're kinda stuck there because the riyal being tied to the US dollar is paramount to their relations with the US.

norinrad

Dubai International Airport-Knight, please post sources for your "Breaking" yet insignificant news, otherwise you sound like a madman writing "Breaking" everywhere.

Yup

Plus they condemned the attack on the embassy, not the government, quite a difference there, and then immediately after offered to mediate between the two nations. Like every other thing DXB has posted, nothing really newsworthy.

Their economy is also going down the shitter:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/05/news/economy/saudi-arabia-oil-budget-gas/index.html

A spat with their greatest rival is a good way to distract the general population from rising gas and water prices.

I think Saudi Arabia's goal is still to price their competitors out of the market. The problem for them is that the riyal is pegged to the strong greenback, so they are not able to drop the value of their currency. They're kinda stuck there because the riyal being tied to the US dollar is paramount to their relations with the US.

Not only that they are just trying to hold on to the eventual inevitable. All over the world, governments are investing in renewable energy so they can be less dependent on foreign oil. The Saudi's will have to admit eventually that their way of life is over and at some point the US will most likely change their foreign policies towards them as Iran begins to rise again.

Azih

Yeah, this raise prices conspiracy theory makes no sense. Saudi is the one who forced oil prices down despite the wishes of every other oil exporting nation.

Azih

So I was talking to my mom about this and she tells me a story about when we were in Saudi Arabia. I was too young for this but apparently there was some sound of an explosion and all the Saudis in the apartment building we were living in ran out shouting "Haza Iran! Haza Iran!" (This is Iran!). She was laughing about it and it's a pretty funny story but highlights the intense paranoia. It's like Cold War America huddling under desks to stave off a Soviet nuke but worse.

Oil prices are actually predicted to go lower than they currently are. With sanctions on Iran's oil finally being lifted in Europe, Saudi Arabia is attempting to undercut the Iranian's by over producing oil and making it extremely cheap for the European market. Combined with Saudi Arabia choosing it's national interests in its contest with Iran, which is crippling OPEC severely - American oil production has peaked to an all time high. We're currently producing something like 9 million barrels of shale oil a day now. OPEC's no longer what it used to be.

Iranian Diplomats left Saudi Arabia today
CYDjKS7W8AAw73w

Map for events of this current Crisis (Associated Press)

Note the Map isn't as up to date since this is a ever changing story

Bonus Notes: Yemen right now is in a civil war as well as Syria... While Yemen on this map is showcased as part of the Saudi side the actual establishment of the country is not concrete as factions fight each other ( 53% of the Muslim population is Sunni and over 45% is Shia)
Wikipedia Map of Demographics of Yemen
Yemen_ethno_2002.jpg
Similarly Syria is shown to be on Irans side but the majority of Syria is Sunni (more then 75%) and not Shia (11%)
Both countries are in proxy conflicts issued by Iran and Saudi Arabia.

Similarly one must note that this is a geopolitical event and some factions regardless if they are Sunni/Shia side with either opposite side or no side at all.

Rubenov

Don't think anything is gonna come out of that bombing since it seems no one died.

Plus with the current conflict Saudi Arabia can say it was the Yemenis that did it or something, or that it was aiming for rebel positions and accidentally hit the embassy. Kinda like we did with the Chinese embassy in Serbia :O

Is this in response to the bombing or unrelated?
Unrelated,
The bombing if true will be subjected to examination since the same thing happened to Oman.

Oman embassy was attacked few months ago and blamed Saudi Arabia for the attacks, later after investigation it turns out that it was a land rocket in Sanna and the rocket model wasn't from the artillery used by the Arabic Alliance and was similar to the Militias there.
Oman withdrew their objection.

We might be dealing with something similar here.

Considering the current situation, do you really believe that?
Yes, what are the odds of Saudi Arabia attacking an embassy just after their embassy being attacked especially after they mentioned the importance of protecting diplomatic rights.
This is too convenient if you ask me and happened once with Oman.

Rubenov

Yes, what are the odds of Saudi Arabia attacking an embassy just after their embassy being attacked especially after about the importance of protecting diplomatic rights.

Well a couple of days ago the Saudi Embassy in Iran was targeted by protesters, who lit parts of it on fire with Molotov cocktails. This could be a retaliatory, tit-for-tat "fuck you", and due to the whole fog of war in Yemen the facts can be obscured.

brian577

Banned
Yes, what are the odds of Saudi Arabia attacking an embassy just after their embassy being attacked especially after about the importance of protecting diplomatic rights.

Except Oman wasn't embroiled in a diplomatic row with Saudi Arabia at the time. You really think they care about being called hypocrites? Watch their allies who condemned Iran's negligence not say a world. It's too much of a coincidence.

Well a couple of days ago the Saudi Embassy in Iran was targeted by protesters, who lit parts of it on fire with Molotov cocktails. This could be a retaliatory, tit-for-tat "fuck you", and due to the whole fog of war in Yemen the facts can be obscured.
No attacking an embassy at any situation is wrong even during war, Saudi Arabia and their allies are not that stupid especially not after what happened to the Saudi Embassy in Iran because this will surely give Iran a room to attack.

A normal person like me knows that, you would think that a group of countries in the Arabic Alliance filled with advisors wouldn't know that?

Except Oman wasn't embroiled in a diplomatic row with Saudi Arabia at the time. You really think they care about being called hypocrites? Watch their allies who condemned Iran's negligence not say a world. It's too much of a coincidence.
Yes they were, they were strongly against what is happening in Yemen and they were vocal about it. The asked Saudi Arabia and other GCC countries to stop immediately in the words of Oman's FM.

Houthies are already shealding in multiple abandoned embassies that could've been a target long time ago but we're not targeted by the Arabic Alliance.

Rubenov

No attacking an embassy at any situation is wrong even during war, Saudi Arabia and their allies are not that stupid especially not after what happened to the Saudi Embassy in Iran because this will surely give Iran a room to attack.

A normal person like me knows that, you would think that a group of countries in the Arabic Alliance filled with advisors wouldn't know that?

They didn't level the embassy, they just lobbed 1-2 rockets at it. Seems they avoided killing anyone. In this part of the world is more about making a statement, and avenging wrongdoings. I know that, I'm sure they have paid advisors that know this as well.

They didn't level the embassy, they just lobbed 1-2 rockets at it. Seems they avoided killing anyone. In this part of the world is more about making a statement, and avenging wrongdoings. I know that, I'm sure they have paid advisors that know this as well.
What your describing right now is the exact copy of what happened with the Omanian embassy, it got hit but not demolished, the Alliance were able to provide evidence and I think they will also this time especially that according to the Alliance Spokesperson during the Oman situation each country there submitted their embassy location including Iran.

norinrad

Iran so far has shown a lot of restraint, how ironic that the so called friend of the West is the one being aggressive and going all out.

What products?

pharmaceuticals, perfumes, plastics/rubber, paints, dates, beauty products, fabrics, breads, etc...

and looking at their new economic deals with countries and future factories...

chocolates, manufactured cars, manufactured commercial planes.... (which doesn't mean any of which are sold in Iran)

likely SA and Iran really don't even sell stuff to each other, hence why Iran can just toss this statement so easily.

Breaking : Somalia sever ties with Iran
AL Arabiya
Also Comoro Islands sever ties with Iran

makes sense Somalia tagged along since the GCC is steam rolling a bunch of development/investment projects

it is weird since Iran 3 years ago wanted in on Somalia but failed dramatically in connecting ties.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE

AP reporter in Yemen's capital says he sees no damage at the Iranian Embassy after airstrike: http://apne.ws/1mI3fvk

Breaking : Somalia sever ties with Iran
AL Arabiya
Also Comoro Islands sever ties with Iran
After important countries like Djibouti and Somalia, now Comoro Islands?!! Thanks to this situation, I found out a new place on planet earth! they don't even have 1 million people! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom