• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thousands demonstrate in Yemen in support for Houthi rebels and against Saudi Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

38125297_303.jpg

Two years after the Saudi Arabia-led military coalition of Arab countries intervened against the Iran-backed Shiite rebels in Yemen, thousands of people in rebel-held Sanaa took to the streets and vowed to continue their resistance.

The protesters chanted slogans against "Saudi aggression" as they marched towards al Sabeen Square in the center of Yemen's capital city on Sunday.

Rebel leader Abdul Malik al Houthi said the Gulf coalition had been "living under the illusion that they can take Yemen in a week or a month ... but have sunk into the mud."

Saudi Arabia launched an air campaign against Shiite Houthi rebels in March, 2015. Riyadh accuses Tehran of backing the rebels, who have made significant territorial gains in the impoverished Middle Eastern country, capturing the capital Sanaa and ousting internationally recognized president Mansour Hadi.
Over 10,000 people have been killed and three million displaced since the start of the conflict. More than 21 million people - over 80 percent of Yemen's population - are in urgent need of aid, and some 9.4 million Yemenis have problems accessing water, according to the UN.

More here

http://m.dw.com/en/yemens-rebel-sup...resistance-on-conflict-anniversary/a-38127089

Lock if old

AKyemeni

The lack of replies here is disheartening.

The war is so fucked up. Lotta sides to worry about and the innocent civilians caught in the middle are the ones being screwed over.

The war is so fucked up. Lotta sides to worry about and the innocent civilians caught in the middle are the ones being screwed over.
I honestly feel too ignorant to comment. I need to brush up on this situaion more, but it's so damm complicated I don't want to comment.

Condom

What is there left to say about Yemen? The country and it's people are victims of geopolitics and there is shit they can do about it outside of resisting until Saudi-Arabia wants a break. They will still have troubles after that because of the Iran connection and SA+their allies not liking that.
I am hopeless.

It's really horrific. This is the damage of the Obama administration Democrats seem totally unable to see.

emag

Why any Western country would join Saudi Arabia in their stupid religious wars is beyond me.

Because it's not and hasn't been about religion, but rather the balance of power between Saudi and Iran in the region. The factions set out by the cold war continue to influence global politics and war, despite the fall of the USSR.

Because it's not and hasn't been about religion, but rather the balance of power between Saudi and Iran in the region. The factions set out by the cold war continue to influence global politics and war, despite the fall of the USSR.

It's essentially religion. Sunni vs. Shia. There isn't even any proof that Iran backed the Houthis, but the fact that they were Shia was enough to trigger the Sauds.

The West should take a neutral stance on this. It shames me to know that so many Western countries are supporting a dictatorship like Saudi Arabia.

Another photo of the protest:

C74Sd8xVsAAtqk1.jpg

Video of the protest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvMTJnTLs20

Protests are massive like last year. Notice the huge attention given to the Russia protests in the media compared to the media silence on this. Another good example is the stark contrast in coverage between this war and the Syrian war. For those that haven't followed the Saudi/UAE & western world's (mainly US/UK) war on humanity in Yemen there have been massive protests in Yemen before including on the first anniversary of the war and while some new outlets picked up a bit of it there was pretty much a media silence back then as well. As usual the hypocrisy is staggering.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I live in the region and the dishonest bullshit in the news here trying to paint Iran and Yemen as some great evil to justify Saudis on going war against non Sunni Muslims is gross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom