• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saving Private Ryan's Omaha Beach scene hasn't been rivaled by any war movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I still haven't seen this movie :|

However I've frequently visited the beach where this scene was filmed. Last I was there they still had vehicle props dotted around the area as 'souvenirs'.

Fury did have some cool scenes. But I feel the whole thing was ruined by the many, many times that kid unironically said 'fucking nazis' through gritted teeth.

Hjod

Banned
I saw it opening day in the cinema, the first 45 minutes of the movie had me on the edge of my seat. So good.

Animator

Also, IIRC, Spielberg filmed it in a risky way, where he basically did it in one take with no real plan (in the film era too, so $$$$), just sort of winged it, so anyone trying to specifically outdo it will probably micromanage it too much.

That's not true. They planned the shit out of it. You don't "wing" a sequence like that.

strafer

You are correct OP.

AvGKabS.gif
qNBpXMV.gif

VBUEKrX.gif
f28Yzo2.gif

RS4-

I'm just gonna throw in U571, especially for the audio. Some scenes are amazing.

Master & the Commander as well.

JimiNutz

Banned
One of my greatest cinema experiences.
I saw it twice, once with Dad and once with Mum (I was 13 at the time so too young to legally see it alone).

Second time I watched it I briefly looked around the cinema at the audience and everyone was mouth open staring at the screen.

Think it will take a long time before its beaten.

Hjod

Banned
SPR has so many memorable scenes, like this one.

tumblr_n08nrynWR21tqxxzeo1_500.gif

I feel I need to recommend another war movie that is great as well, it's about the Korean War, two Korean brothers that end up on opposing sides of the war.

The Brotherhood of War.

https://youtu.be/26BOrQxA0k4

Calamari41

41 > 38
Those of us who got to watch this in theaters with family members who were in WWII, and talk to them about it afterwards, were very lucky.

Kill3r7

I'm partial to the Bastogne episode of Band of Brothers. But Spielberg has his fingerprints all over that series too.

i'd have to say pretty much all of the action sequences in Band of Brothers were on a whole other level from anything else that has been done since, in terms of directing and editing

Brecourt Manor

Carentan

etc

Yep, Band of Brothers is a classic.

The Thin Red Line has equally great ones, and is a far better film.

The often forgotten and criminally underrated WW2 film. Always will be the lesser of the two because The Thin Red Line is not what most people want or expect from a war movie. It is The Pacific to Band of Brothers.

EGM1966

I see it as about even with the Thin Red Line's main battle sequence. They're different (Speilberg went more for the brutal physicality on combat and Malick the affect on the combatants minds) but equally well directed IMHO and together are quite devastating.

Black Hawk Down and is as good if on a smaller scale and modern (ish) setting.

Curious that see what Nolan delete vets with Dunkirk.

Yeah it's great. Should watch the movie again someday. It's shame though that we will probably never see big budget movies about massive battles on eastern front. Subject is still too sensitive for Germans, Russians make pure propaganda with their big budget WWII films and Hollywood is not interested because you can't show Americans saving the day.

Javier

I saw SPR back in the day in theaters with my dad, who loves wartime films. What a great experience that was.

One thing I always felt dumb about this movie is that I didn't notice until repeat viewings on TV that
the German soldier that gets spared halfway through the film later returns in the final battle and ends up killing one of the American soldiers by stabbing him with a knife, and later he himself gets killed by the interpreter dude who convinced the Captain to let him go in the first place.

philipnash19

Neo Member
While this probably has nothing to do with this post, I actually quite enjoyed the house scene in Zero Dark Thirty I thought it was a brilliant piece of war direction in a movie

SpaceWolf

Banned
Pfffft at people saying Saving Private Ryan has the best war scenes ever put to film.

That honour clearly goes to Antz.

Such an amazing and intense scene. You can't help but feel bad for the men that get shot to shit as soon as the landing door goes down, bits of flesh flying in the air and on the camera just makes it harsh.

Then you get the view from the men firing from the MG's and it makes you feel even worse. They just unload on these men, like fish in a barrel. Blood rivers on the beach and the men just dropping.

Near the end of the scene you get a sense of relief finally, but then you have the guy with the knife sit and break down and the shock kicks in.

Fuck me.

DavidDesu

Sort of related, but that battle in Game of Thrones near the end of the last season to me rivalled Saving Private Ryan in some ways. Gave me the most visceral feeling of what medieval battles could have felt like being in the middle, even better than something like Braveheart ever managed.

Obvious spoilers:

DeathyBoy

Banned
Bah, Captain Ameruca: TFA is a great throwback to all those classic war films just like how Cap: TWS was like stepping in a time machine to all those great Redford spy films.

If there's one aspect I felt that beach scene could have done better, it's scale.

While the landing is relentlessly brutal, it does seem small compared to the images from the battle

The crowded field with all the vehicles and boats near the shore was pretty much after the beach was taken. All that extra equipment couldn't be landed while the battle was going on.

strafer

Tom Hanks and Spielberg should really do another WW2 miniseries that focuses on the other beaches, I feel that Omaha Beach gets all the spotlight.

Call it just D-Day

• Sword Beach (British)
  • Juno Beach (Canadian)
  • Gold Beach (British)
  • Omaha Beach (American)
  • Utah Beach (American)

Would certainly be a big undertaking.

If we're talking action sequences then maybe but I think the scene in band of brothers where they reach the concentration camp is the most impactful scene of any war movie that I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHcJtU9dr6I

from the beautiful music to the weight of all the imagery to how damn realistic it looks, to the dialogue, etc... You can tell they worked hard to not fuck up that moment for entertainments sake and they did not do that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom