• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA: 1.2m PS3s sold from Black Friday to Dec 31

Starchasing said:
No, but I have numbers for a chain store next to my house if anyone cares.

Ooh, ooh! I have numbers for the lemonade stand down the street.

Okay. I lied. I don't have the numbers. There isn't even a lemonade stand.

sure you are not <wink> <wink>

You've found out too much. Why don't you make things simpler for every one and don't move from your current location. I... we will be there shortly.

Grecco

Starchasing said:
In fact it is really easy , its like a circular argument. you start saying something and then another, then more, and the you start again. it doesnt matter if you contradict yourself because itis just a way of evading reality.

Well i just find it funny. Back in the GCN days the Nintendo player mememe was the in thing then the Wii came in and it was the Alpha moms only play Wii Sports and dont buy games mememe. Now with Mario, GH3 selling gangbusters its back to the old Nintendo player mememe. ( Theres Mario characters in gh3? ) Cant wait for Febuarys NPD numbers and Smash Bros sales.

oo Kosma oo said:
I don't know why I'm even arguing with you guys, in 2008 and 2009 I'll be playing every big 3rd party game release while you still will be posting that the Wii is the bestest console of the forever after and no one can keep ignoring it and keep wondering where the games are beyond what Nintendo puts out.

Im not saying that its better or worse. Thats just personal taste. Im just saying it is selling better because we are in a sales thread.

Also, you better enjoy 2008 because whats after you dont wanna see.

Shiggy

Starchasing said:
No, but I have numbers for a spanish chain store next to my house if anyone cares.

Post them, please ;D

really? are those countries statistical noise in the overall picture or are they statistcally important?

He's probably talking about Switzerland.

Kosma

Banned
Starchasing said:
Also, you better enjoy 2008 because whats after you dont wanna see.

Please tell me.

I'll be catching up on Q3,Q4 games as I'm going backpacking in September 09

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Some people were name dropping various smaller countries earlier, pondering console performance therein. So if people bring them up again, that's fair enough. Europe is afterall, a collection of mostly smaller countries that all add up.

Redd said:
Won't count since it's a Nintendo game.

It is also a nongame because you can play it with wiimote only

Post them, please ;D

Its a long story cut short, but i got to talk to the manager of Hipercor in my city. He told me they ordered 3000 wiis for Xmas and sold them all. He also told me that the have Ps3 left from launch

Innotech

Banned
gofreak said:
Some people were name dropping various smaller countries earlier, pondering console performance therein. So if people bring them up again, that's fair enough. Europe is afterall, a collection of mostly smaller countries that all add up.
well I guess if several 40-60 million population countries is "small"

Kosma

Banned
Starchasing said:
Its a long story cut short, but i got to talk to the manager of Hipercor in my city. He told me they ordered 3000 wiis for Xmas and sold them all. He also told me that the have Ps3 left from launch

So Infinity Ward is making the next COD for the Wii only? Ubisoft making the next AC for Wii then?

Rolf NB

JJConrad said:
While I generally agree with you (and want to warn you to never take Spwolf on in a logical debate...it'll only cause headaches). I have a few faults with your statements.

1) While this is generally true, its not absolutely true. There are instances were PS3 games are beating 360 games from a similar point of life. The biggest two differences has been that the PS3 hasn't had any major titles take off in sales and changes in how we get data has limited how much of the PS3's sales we actually see. With Resistance leading PS3 software sales, the 360 is destroying it at the upper end, but the lower ends are not all that different. November '06 for the 360 was a lot like November 07 for the PS3... neither did so hot. It had 1 first party game sell a million, but only 9 other titles sell above 50k (only one of those above 150k). With the limited data we see now, if you wanted to compare third party sales between the two months, you could argue that the PS3 is better for 3rd parties (it doesn't make it true, but you could argue it). We do a lot of that...Anymore, we argue over speculation and assumptions rather than actual facts.

2) That statement is mostly false. Tie ratios change over time but don't always decrease and you can't expect consistent change between two different consoles. Look at the PSP vs DS lifetime changes. The quality of/hype surrounding the game has a bigger effect on how it performs relative to the userbase than any other factor. Look at CoD3 vs CoD4. The PS3 is still young enough that it can still have a large enough shift in its demographics that could help these games... 1.2 million new users (more than a third of the total userbase) have only had their system about a month (or less) and we have no clue what types of games those people like and the effect they'll have on software sales.

Personally, I believe talking about tie-ratios is just falling for PR spin. Userbase is what's is important. (which doesn't exactly help the PS3 either)
I have to disagree. The tie ratio presents an answer to the question "Are these x million owners buying games?", which is no less relevant than the sheer size of the install base when gauging potential sales of a new game.

As for the grander argument, I'd like to posit that Microsoft's one-year headstart in conjunction with an overall smaller base of PS3s means there should be significant overlap. I.e. a current PS3 owner is a games enthusiast willing and able to spend a lot of money, and that makes it somewhat likely that they already own an XBox 360 and their purchases of multiplatform titles can easily be swayed by PR. It's a handy consideration to keep in mind when numbers don't scale as expected.
I think the price-drop to 399$ was instrumental to breaking away from that, and establishing a (small) base of PS3-only owners.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Pureauthor said:
Point being?

SHHH! That would just invalidate his PS2 outselling 360 statements. He likes to point things out when they're valid for his CURRENT argument, then ignore them when they later invalidate his other argument.

You stay classy spwolf.

Dragon

Banned
Innotech said:

I thought he was talking about land area moreso than country population. But I may be wrong. I've never been to Europe.

Innotech

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
So Infinity Ward is making the next COD for the Wii only? Ubisoft making the next AC for Wii then?
silly. COD is made for the xbox360 and the scraps are fed to whoever is left.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Innotech said:

Well, there are twenty odd countries in Europe, many of them "small". Of course, there are big countries too, my point is just that Europe is a collection of many smaller contributions, say, compared with the American market.

Anyway, people keep bringing them up, and not just people citing trends favourable to Sony. I think their value is more in trying to see if they provide any indication of broader trends across other countries than the absolute size of their own markets in isolation.

Innotech

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
I thought he was talking about land area moreso than country population. But I may be wrong. I've never been to Europe.
Even by land area the countries are the size of large states at least. The smaller countries are densely populated. Youd be surprised how many people live in small areas of land.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
belvedere said:
Were any of the people boasting the 360's sales numbers alive when the PS2 was around? They may be ahead of PS3, but they're certainly nothing to write home about.

Except if you compare them to the same timeframe of that of the PS2. Look back when the PS2 had an install base the same as the 360 and then develop an argument.

Innotech said:
Even by land area the countries are the size of large states at least. The smaller countries are densely populated. Youd be surprised how many people live in small areas of land.

4 million in 470 sqkm. Man, it's way overcrowded down here. :(

spwolf said:
what does that mean?

I think it means nothing. It is just a way to confuse you.

Even by land area the countries are the size of large states at least. The smaller countries are densely populated. Youd be surprised how many people live in small areas of land

There are 39,999,999 proud Spaniards living in country 4 times smaller than the state of Texas.

My city has a density of about 6000/square km

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Grecco said:
Well i just find it funny. Back in the GCN days the Nintendo player mememe was the in thing then the Wii came in and it was the Alpha moms only play Wii Sports and dont buy games mememe. Now with Mario, GH3 selling gangbusters its back to the old Nintendo player mememe. ( Theres Mario characters in gh3? ) Cant wait for Febuarys NPD numbers and Smash Bros sales.

mememe? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhp_0IrR1Q

Innotech

Banned
Starchasing said:
I think it means nothing. It is just a way to confuse you.

There are 39,999,999 proud Spaniards living in country 4 times smaller than the state of Texas.

My city has a density of about 6000/square km
and theres only 4.5 million people in the whole state of Louisiana, which is about Spains size by the looks of it. Lots of space around here.
Texas by the way isnt really that much larger than Spain. There are about 23 million people in Texas. Definitely more spaced out than Europe, except up in New england where I would suspect it is similar.

nm, Spain is about 4 times larger than our piece of shit state :lol

Dragon

Banned
Innotech said:
and theres only 4.5 million people in the whole state of Louisiana, which is about Spains size by the looks of it. Lots of space around here.
Texas by the way isnt really that much larger than Spain. There are about 23 million people in Texas. Definitely more spaced out than Europe, except up in New england where I would suspect it is similar.

Somerville, MA (I lived near there for a great portion of my life speaking of New England) has one of the highest population densities in the world. It's disgusting to live there, not something I'd be proud of, but for the purposes of your thread, I think yeah you've made your point in terms of importance.

Innotech

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Somerville, MA (I lived near there for a great portion of my life speaking of New England) has one of the highest population densities in the world. It's disgusting to live there, not something I'd be proud of, but for the purposes of your thread, I think yeah you've made your point in terms of importance.
I couldnt live up there. I need my space.
Although there is LOTS of empty space for miles in Louisiana. It sucks to break down :lol

Innotech

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Don't include WiiPlay k thx.
why not?
whats preventing Sony or Ms from putting out a controller bundled with a game? Would you discount that as counting towards the attach ratE? Its still a game and the package together cost 50 bucks.

Dragon

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Okay, which best-selling game should we leave out for the 360 and PS3? Do we get to pick? I'll say... hmmm, Resistance and Halo 3!

You know the reason why I'm saying so.

Dragon

Banned
Innotech said:
why not?
whats preventing Sony or Ms from putting out a controller bundled with a game? Would you discount that as counting towards the attach ratE? Its still a game and the package together cost 50 bucks.

They don't have a game out that is an incredible bargain with a controller that normally is outrageously overpriced.

Innotech

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
You know the reason why I'm saying so.
how does that differ from people buying the niGHTS pack with the analog controller for Saturn? Or any other number of peripheral/game bundles?
Nintendo may have changed the rules a bit with Wii play as to what constitutes a game package, but its still a piece of software printed on a disc.

Dragon

Banned
Innotech said:
how does that differ from people buying the niGHTS pack with the analog controller for Saturn? Or any other number of peripheral/game bundles?
Nintendo may have changed the rules a bit with Wii play as to what constitutes a game package, but its still a piece of software printed on a disc.

It's the same reason you can't use the PS3 as part of how many Blu-ray players have sold. Because there's absolutely no way to know WHY they bought it.

Innotech

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
They don't have a game out that is an incredible bargain with a controller that normally is outrageously overpriced.
how is the controller overpriced? 40 bucks for a controller with more features than the 360/Ps3 controllers? Thats overpriced? The goddamn thing makes sound, stores memory, and has an Ir and bluetooth in it, not to mention the motion sensing and peripheral attach point. Its a bargain for the tech you get in that little bastard.

Innotech said:
why not?

Its like when kids play a game and a smarter kid pulls out something very odd and wins. Then the other kids cry foul and say "that doesnt count!!!"

or something like that

Nintendo outsmarted sony and ms with wiiplay... plain and simple

thats why it doesnt count

Innotech

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
It's the same reason you can't use the PS3 as part of how many Blu-ray players have sold. Because there's absolutely no way to know WHY they bought it.
Well lets just throw out Ps3 sales in general because, hey, some people probably bought it as a BR player. what the fuck kind of argument is that?

TheBranca18 said:

The could've bought those copies of Uncharted to use as drink coasters, you know. Just sayin'.

Man, typing that hurt me a little inside.

Top Bottom