• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

Exclusive look at new marketing campaign poster:

jack_zps422de023.jpg

So good.

There's one person at my university with one. He only buys Sony products. (Not anything wrong with that.) I've only seen one person with a 3DS but I streetpass about 25 people every day I'm on campus.

Yeah, I've gotten a ridiculous amount of streetpasses from walking around in the city (especially at the Wii U launch event).

Mindlog

Oh never mind.
Not leveraging the enthusiasm of the most active users would be the biggest mistake either company could make.

It's the equivalent to what Nintendo did with 'soccer mom's' only this audience is smaller and buys more games.

Cat Party

Refer a friend for a subscription service is quite common. I don't think I've ever seen it for a device. Truly an odd promotion.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Not leveraging the enthusiasm of the most active users would be the biggest mistake either company could make.
You can call it leveraging enthusiasm.

My perspective is that it's the same as people pre-ordering games and getting exclusive pre-order incentives. Due to embargoes you won't know at launch day if the console you got is actually good yet, the same as with a game.

It's preying on hype and getting people that love to collect trophies and stickers. You could sell them the shittiest game ever as long as achievements and trophies are easy to get. I think that should not be encouraged.

EdgeXL

Oh, God. I'm imagining getting invited over to friends' houses for dinner and getting hit with Amway style presentations.

"You like that Vita? You think the games are fun? Well, let me run something by you..."

But the device isn't popular therefor it's obviously a bad device. Because only popular things are good.

I have to admit, if it weren't for the Amazon Black Friday sale + ps plus, I would never had given the Vita a chance due to all the jokes and negativity.

Awesome purchase so far though.

Chrysalis

It kills me. It's such an amazing device- had it for a couple of months and really enjoying it. Will re-buy my psp library as items go on sale cuz I never want to have to touch the original psp again.

But.

The timing was all wrong. The more casual crowd are fine with phone fare.

It kills me.

VanWinkle

Oh, God. I'm imagining getting invited over to friends' houses for dinner and getting hit with Amway style presentations.

"You like that Vita? You think the games are fun? Well, let me run something by you..."

Weird. Nobody does that with something like Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, or Nintendo's Ambassador program.

I actually saw someone with a Vita on the train for the first time the other day. He wasn't playing anything though, he was just messing around on the homescreen for about ten minutes.

DaBoss

I must be the only dude out there that liked the Marcus marketing campaign.

WHAT?! The Marcus PSP marketing campaign was awesome. I knew many who liked it also. I always thought it was well received, didn't know most people didn't like it. D:

sense

they are probably making money on every vita sold anyways especially when counting the memory cards so more people referring and spending money on psn just doesn't affect them. people can laugh about the marketing but no amount of marketing is gonna push the vita to sell gangbusters so idk why people in here go on about poor marketing. the dedicated handheld market is niche at the moment with the advent of smartphones so you dont want to be wasting too much money marketing it. just push the system to hardcore gamers, existing ps3 users etc... by bringing more games that they crave for. i am hoping it hasn't been announced yet because it takes time to make games like those.

sony stock has been rising for the past 5 days steadily. i am regretting not buying it on monday when i heard they sold that building and are looking at quarterly profit after a long time. o well.

Do you like it?

Very much so.

However, that's probably due to the fact that I didn't bother much with PS1 classic or PSP until very recently.

The complaint regarding the lack of original VITA titles is true.
So I can see how someone who've played through most of the PS1/PSP library would find it lackluster.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
We should try to get a Gaffer win the 1 Million Sony points (whatever they are?) and share out the PSN voucher codes.

Why don't they take that $20 and just cut the MSRP by the same amount?

Do it as often as they can.

I am sure that they will be doing that not long after this promo ends. But doing it this way is better for their bottom line ($20 PSN card costs them less than $20 cash) and helps gin up some interest and buzz twice (now and when the price is cut) rather than just when the price is cut.

VanWinkle

I thought Sony said that the Vita was selling to expectations. Why would they need this gimmick to sell the Vita?

I don't know why stuff like this keeps coming up. A referral program for a select group of people (from Sony Rewards, not SCE) is not an indication of bad sales. This is something that happens. It's not that weird.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I thought Sony said that the Vita was selling to expectations. Why would they need this gimmick to sell the Vita?

To be honest a lot of very successful companies do exactly this all the time. I get shit loads of mail from Sky trying to get me to entice friends to subscribe for free vouchers for us both. It is just a cheap way to spread the word. I don't think it is just out of desperation.

Top Bottom