• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

noobasuar

Banned
If Sony wanted the Vita to succeed they should have had there first and second party studios making games for it. You can't rely on third party support for your system in this day & age with the amount of different platforms developers can develop for. And for everyone saying that all the studios are busy making ps4 games, well, then they shouldn't have released a new handheld in the first place.

Bgamer90

Banned
They surely will sometime soon. Then GAF can laugh at how desperate they are because they dropped the price of a product.

If anything I would think that that's what many here want them to do.

New ads about a price drop would be far better & less embarrassing than this "advertise for us" contest.

Wynnebeck

Banned
If anything I would think that that's what many here want them to do.

That would be far better & less embarrassing than this "advertise for us" contest.

It's not even a damn contest really. It's a referral program with a "grab the most people" type thing attached to it. It's only because the Vita is selling so poorly that everyone wants to go, "LOL pathetic! Stupid Sony!"

MajorGravy

Neo Member
Gil.gif

Common! C'mon, help ol' Sony out here! I'm beggin' ya!

LOL Sony's desperation is pretty interesting. Any worthwhile PSV exclusives out there?

SmokyDave

DROP THE PRICE!!!!
Why? People moan that the library just consists of console ports. A price-drop ain't gonna change that. People want Mario, DQ, MonHun & Pokemon. A price drop ain't gonna change that. People say that Sony don't put any effort into first party development on the platform. A price drop ain't gonna change that. People complain about the cost of memory. A price drop ain't gonna change that.

I don't think a price drop is any sort of magic bullet that will propel the device to mass-market relevance.

I'll buy a Vita when the price drops.
You just had to come along and post that, didn't you. Grrr.

noobasuar

Banned
It's not even a damn contest really. It's a referral program with a "grab the most people" type thing attached to it. It's only because the Vita is selling so poorly that everyone wants to go, "LOL pathetic! Stupid Sony!"

I think it has more to do with the fact that you don't really see these types of promotions for electronic products.

trixx

They made plenty of commercials. Launch ad, MLB 12 cross-platform, AR in some park, Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation, Call of Duty Declassified and two variations of the Landry Fields Vita commercial. They last for weeks and air many times per day so there's no shortage of any of that.

Actually i do recall seeing the AR one and the launch one. As well as a promotional from Taco Bell. The time i did see the Landry Fields commercials were only on the sports channels TSN, and TheScore. But other than that i havent seen the others before.

To be fair though, i wouldn't know how to advertise either, i mean it has a market but not many are interested at the moment.

If you like. The difference to me is that Nintendo expected people to do it for free. I'm not sure that's a huge and important difference though.
Nintendo hardly invented word of mouth, or first used it as a marketing angle with Wii U. Dave, you're coming off as desperate as Sony with this tortured comparison.

What Sony's doing isn't word of mouth, it's an audience driven voucher program. The one time Nintendo did something like this was the Wii Ambassador Program in Japan (and Europe?), where if you helped a friend get their Wii online you got free 1st party Virtual Console games.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why? People moan that the library just consists of console ports. A price-drop ain't gonna change that. People want Mario, DQ, MonHun & Pokemon. A price drop ain't gonna change that. People say that Sony don't put any effort into first party development on the platform. A price drop ain't gonna change that. People complain about the cost of memory. A price drop ain't gonna change that.

Decent point but even if the Vita had many solid games there would still be many who would be turned off by the price.

SmokyDave

Nintendo hardly invented word of mouth, or first used it as a marketing angle with Wii U. Dave, you're coming off as desperate as Sony with this tortured comparison.

What Sony's doing isn't word of mouth, it's an audience driven voucher program. The one time Nintendo did something like this was the Wii Ambassador Program in Japan (and Europe?), where if you helped a friend get their Wii online you got free 1st party Virtual Console games.
I really don't see this tremendous gulf in strategy between the two. Sony have done it openly and Nintendo admitted to it when pressed on their lack of marketing for the Wii-U. It's still the same strategy.

If you feel I'm 'desperate', so be it. If you feel the comparison is 'tortured', so be it. I couldn't help but notice the similarities, you can't help but notice the differences. It ain't no thang.

Jomjom

Banned
So I'm looking for three people here to buy Vitas. I'm pretty sure that would be enough to win the grand prize for most referrals.

You know what would have been a much better strategy? To actually deliver on that PS Vita Heaven thing (whatever happened to that??) like how Nintendo has with the ND for the Wii U.

HardRojo

It's very simple Sony, do what Nintendo did and drop the damn price! Also include a free retail game while you're at it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I love threads about crazy desperate sony shit like this cause it means I can refill my "good job" "BUUUUURN" and "Golf Claps" gif folder.

No exception here. Thanks gentlemen!

params7

Banned
This marketing effort is so fucking desperate. Holy shit Sony, offer these rewards for game developers instead to get them to make some games for this shit and it will fly off the shelves.

Vita has no games.

Agent X

Do you guys think it's embarassing for Hulu to give me a month of free Hulu Plus to any referral I get? I've seen countless other companies do this, too. This is coming from Sony Rewards (Read: getting rewards for doing something), not from Sony Computer Entertainment to everyone with a PSN ID.

Yeah, I don't see what the problem is. Referral programs exist for all kinds of products, even some of the most successful ones.

People have been clamoring for Sony to do more to promote the Vita in the US...well, this is one way to do this.

That's another good example of one in the video game industry.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
I was actually thinking about buying one, but after seeing this I'm a bit scared for the future of the Vita. Will wait.

I really don't see this tremendous gulf in strategy between the two. Sony have done it openly and Nintendo admitted to it when pressed on their lack of marketing for the Wii-U. It's still the same strategy.

If you feel I'm 'desperate', so be it. If you feel the comparison is 'tortured', so be it. I couldn't help but notice the similarities, you can't help but notice the differences. It ain't no thang.
I think the key difference is word of mouth isn't financially compelled. Which is where the percieved desperation comes in, and why one gets that label and the other doesn't. One projects a sense of confidence in your product, the other implies a lack of confidence.

Letting a product sell itself is pretty much what Nintendo's been doing since Donkey Kong. It's something that relies on the quality of the product itself rather than relying on trying to push your product that no one wants with $20 gift cards.

That said, maybe Wii U could use a voucher program right about now? :[

Duxxy3

I wish that were so. There are some good games, most of which are too expensive.

If there were truly "loads of awesome games", Sony would be shifting more units.

Neo Geo had some terrific games but it didn't matter because it was priced well out of the target market.

Obviously not the same price difference, but the same idea.

I was actually thinking about buying one, but after seeing this I'm a bit scared for the future of the Vita. Will wait.

If it fails, this is why.

People waiting indefinitely.

Though it could use a price cut; I'd still say there are a bunch of great games there worthy of the cost right now.

Jhriad

Give me Persona 4 for free and I'll buy a Vita. Or drop the price to $199 so I can buy P4G myself. Not a bad deal though. If I could refer myself and get the $20 in PSN bucks + the $10 I'd consider buying one.

kvothe

Yeah, man, if you don't buy one the Vita's future will definitely get better.

What a catch 22 this whole scenario is.

cj_iwakura

1. Put a Vita on display in every major retailer with DJ MAX Technika Tune as the playable demo.
2. ???
3. Profit!
(Maybe I vastly overestimate DJ MAX's appeal, but it's a pretty great killer app.)

Weird. Nobody does that with something like Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, or Nintendo's Ambassador program.
Those are subscription services, where getting others to sign up is common. It's not common on physical products at all. Outside of Amway, Tupperware and so on.

I doubt anyone would have an issue if they did this for PS+. Something like get a friend to sign up for a year, and get an extra free 6 months on your own account.

Even though the importance of this sales tactic is over-stated, your comment is stupid.

Well you're pleasant.

And no, I stand by it. If the Vita fails, the only way non-Nintendo handheld content will get out that's not iOS quality will be if something like Nvidia's Shield hits big.

None of the big manufacturers will take on the cost and risk of making a dedicated handheld gaming device like this. It'll all be tablet, iOS and Nintendo.

And that's fine if the market is cool with it. Because that is what the market is saying right now. Perhaps an upcoming price drop will help. Dunno. It's hard as hell to get a game greenlit for the Vita right now that I do know.

Top Bottom