• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

WARP10CK

Banned
Gil.gif

Common! C'mon, help ol' Sony out here! I'm beggin' ya!

Ha ha that guy actually came to mind while reading the OP

You know, price drops does wonders. The white Ass Creed Vita bundle sold out during Black Friday.

Something SCEA should take into serious consideration if they want to resurrect the system.

I've worked 5 years in retail and never figured out why companies, and Sony's by far the worst at it, release console bundles non stop. You'd be surprised at how many customers blatantly ask whats the difference when the boxes themselves are themed based on the games it includes.

The marketing of it works, I get it, but when your at the lifespan of the PS3 and the potential life support of the Vita they should just do a straight price drop and give the customers exactly what they want to see.

$1 9 9. 9 9

I got the email earlier and i clicked the email as poor. And did the survey. I told them go hire a marketing team and stop being cheap.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Until they play it and realize that game is hard as fuck. I like the series, but there's a reason it couldn't sustain real popularity.

because people are wimps?

i'm one too :(

also, there's no referral "programs" with this. This isn't much different than Recruit-a-Friend for an MMO.

Until they play it and realize that game is hard as fuck. I like the series, but there's a reason it couldn't sustain real popularity.

Wipeout HD (and this) aren't hard... when you die you just respawn instantly, the tracks are also really forgiving.
Psx wipeouts were harder.

Wipeout on ps3 is far easier than games like extreme g3, rollcage or f zero. (or rather these games are far harder:p)

What killed off this genre of games is LCD tech and especially the choices LDC panel manufacturers made.
My samsung tv has almost 100 ms input lag unless I manually turn off all the image processing crap (and you can't turn off all of it), then it still has 60 ms.
A game like wipeout is completely unplayable (and also not enjoyable) with that much input lag.

Many tvs do have a pc mode that turns off ALL image processing (but still leaves upscaling to add lag), but maybe 1 percent of users actually knows about this feature.
Since I found out about it on my tv I love wipeout because it's actually pretty responsive and much more intuitive to play now.

For reference foryour 'wipeout is hard' claim: in default lag as fuck mode I struggled to get to zone 28-30 in zone mode with a lot of practice, the day I found out about the pc mode I got to zone 40+ on my first go on a track layout I hadn't memorised.

I'm waiting for E3 to see if theres a price drop then I'm buying a vita too (wether there is one or not) ,since I discovered disgaea there's quite a lot of games I want on it now.

-disgaea 3 (will keep me entertained for months alone)
-ff7 and 9
-persona 4
-wipeout
-sonic & sega karting
-hot shots golf (I've basically been holding off till a hot shots tennis game is released)

These are system seller quality games, there's some other games I want to play on it but I'd never buy a console or handheld just for those.

CUD

Banned
It's just a promotion that plenty of other companies utilise but I can definitely see how this can come across as desperate considering the circumstances; it's definitely been twisted to seem that way.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I feel like as the guy who runs /r/gaming and /r/Games on reddit, I could have a legitimate chance of winning this if I wanted to.

Riposte

This would probably come off as less desperate if they weren't doing such a bad job at even trying to make the Vita a success.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Has anyone been successful in signing up to be a referrer? I actually tried, but I keep getting this error: "Unable to verify your PSN ID, please verify your entry and try again"

What's up with that? I know some people who want Vitas, and I'd like to capitalize on this.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Companies do this all the time. Refer a friend and get gift vouchers. Usually recurring subscription offers like cable TV, or other monthly services. Why is it suddenly 'desperate' for Sony to try it on vita? If word of mouth is good, people will be persuading their friends anyway - this just adds some reward for it.

Companies do this all the time. Refer a friend and get gift vouchers. Usually recurring subscription offers like cable TV, or other monthly services. Why is it suddenly 'desperate' for Sony to try it on vita? If word of mouth is good, people will be persuading their friends anyway - this just adds some reward for it.
Because....

I...

Just...

But...

It's..

Goddamn I never envisioned this for Vita. The hype was so high after E3 2011 who would have thought by January 2013 we would be in this position? I don't have a Vita nor do I plan on getting one but this is sad.

everything you say is right but in regards to Vita it does come across desperate. It maybe unintentional but because we all know how bad the Vita is selling, it just comes across looking like a last shot saloon promotion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
everything you say is right but in regards to Vita it does come across desperate. It maybe unintentional but because we all know how bad the Vita is selling, it just comes across looking like a last shot saloon promotion.

So it's desperate because people have a bad image of vita? That's it? I understand your point but at least they are promoting it. Perhaps we should applaud the fact that Sony aren't just giving up and letting it rot?

HT UK

This isn't that bad, they could've worded this a bit differently though.

Lots of things have some sort of referral scheme. Xbox 360 had one awhile ago where you and your friend that bought an Xbox got 10 free XBLA games

Crazyorloco

Things are getting so bad that we have to advertise for Sony.

Persona86 get out of my head! You're saying the same things as me.

Can you give links to other gaming hardware that did something like this?

Shinta

Banned
"Sony really needs to step up and try and push the Vita!"

*new promotion launched*

"Shows how desperate Sony is to try and push the Vita like this!"

I honestly don't know why anyone would complain about this. Vita is a great handheld, and more people need to buy it. I don't see how this is a bad idea.

Cipherr

I seriously laughed out loud when I saw the images in the OP.

I remember the first job I got back in highschool at this little shop had something where if you referred an employee you got a little bonus.

So weird to see them push a campaign like this for a handheld. Bring back the damn squirrels. They are better than this.

Cheech

What this tells me is that Sony itself has no idea who is buying these Vitas; but they must figure those who did, had their reasons.

So until they figure out who is buying them, ergo who to target a marketing campaign at, let the Vita buyers explain themselves to their friends.

That's the gist of it, I think. That, and it makes no sense to pour millions into a machine that has no games to market it with, nor is there anything on the horizon.

Plenty of stuff have a referral programs... Direct TV, WoW, etc...

What's the big deal?

I don't understand it either, at first glance I thought it was just a generic sales pitch and then I read NeoGAF who has decided to read into this well beyond any comprehension.

It's kind of the reaction the Vita gets in general so it's not totally unexpected.

Epcott

B4Mz1Pz.jpg

"Hey guys, guys... get this: How about we get the customers...
to promote our product for us? Genius right? Everyone listens to hardcore gamers!"

*Laughter*

"Ha ha, good one Jerry."

Top Bottom