• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School refuses to let female best friends attend deb ball together (G/A/F)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-female-best-friends-attend-deb-ball-together

A Victorian public school is refusing to allow a female student to take another girl as her date to a debutante ball, despite the school being a signatory to the state’s anti-homophobia Safe Schools Coalition.

Justin Prewett says his 17-year-old daughter, Kiana, has been told by authorities at Ballarat’s Mount Clear College she is not permitted to bring her best friend, Imogene, to the school’s year 11 debutante ball in August.

The school council, made up of students, the principal, staff and members of the public, has ruled against Kiana taking another girl because it is “deemed not traditional”, Prewett says.

“It was a bit of a surprise to me,” he said. “What difference does it make to the parents and the teachers? It should be up to the students. If it’s their formal, the decision should lie with them.”

Kiana told Melbourne community radio station Joy FM the school’s decision was “really upsetting”. “Tradition is important but at the same time you need to change with society,” she said.

The Safe Schools Coalition aims to eliminate homophobia in schools and build a supportive school environment for same-sex attracted, intersex or gender diverse students.

Research shows that gay or lesbian young people are six times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. About 80% of the bullying and discrimination they face occurs in school settings.

Prewett says the Safe Schools Coalition is intended “to combat this exact sort of thing”.

“How are you showing students that you can feel comfortable in who they are when you’re telling them they can’t go to a dance,” he said.

He says it doesn’t matter that his daughter and her friend are not partners. “That’s not the point … In some ways, it’s still pretty hard for kids, not just mine, and as a parent I want to feel that I’ve done what I can to support them.”

A spokeswoman for Victoria’s education minister, Martin Dixon, said his office was aware of the issue and that Mount Clear College was “seeking advice … as to how to make similar events more inclusive in the future”.

She said Dixon’s office had been assured by the school that the issue had been resolved, but Prewett disagreed. “I met with the principal this morning, and we had a pretty good chat … but certainly nothing is resolved,” he said.

He said the principal had agreed to reconsider the issue with the school council. If Kiana was still prevented from going to the formal with her friend, the “next step” would be taking the complaint to the Human Rights Commission, he said.

Another Victorian school, Ivanhoe Grammar, made headlines around the world in 2010 after it refused to allow a lesbian student to attend the school formal with her girlfriend.

Mount Clear College did not respond to requests for comment.
Public schools should not be able to discriminate, but George Brandis (Australian Attorney General who is in favour of people being discriminated against) must be loving it :/

Edit: Just realised the article never says what country. It is Australia.

Edit2: The stupidity is somewhat lessened, she can go with who she wants.

http://www.samesame.com.au/news/10965/Two-girls-can-go-to-the-ball-after-all

Two schoolgirl friends who were initially told they couldn’t attend a Victorian public school’s old-fashioned ‘debutante ball’ due to their ‘not traditional’ pairing have now been given the all-clear to go along together.

Teenagers Kiana and Imogene had told Melbourne’s LGBTI radio station JOY96.9 that they were shocked and surprised to be told they couldn’t attend the ball together, especially as their school, Ballarat’s Mount Clear College, was a member of the Safe Schools Coalition Victoria, which means it has formally committed to reducing homophobia and transphobia.

“It really surprised me,” said Kiana. “When I started at the school at the beginning of the year, they gave a presentation about how they were supporting equality among students, but then they say this.”

Happily, The Courier reports today that the school has reversed its decision. Kiana can go to the ball with whoever she likes.

Wazzy

Banned
That's incredibly shitty AND stupid of them. Why they even take it that serious is beyond me. But people will look for any reason to excuse their terrible views.

Servbot24

Banned
What the fuck do they care?

Not only that but surely they must know in this day and age that is going to be a PR shitstorm they have to deal with.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's not traditional... to let women vote.

It's not traditional... to let niggers be anything but slaves.

Fuck your traditions you assbackward motherfuckers.

Loofy

I dont believe a debutante ball is like a regular ol' prom. So I can see why they would want it to be 'traditional.'
oQesr5W.jpg

Is it discrimination? sure but having a prom 'king' and 'queen' would be discrimination too.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
The school has already backed down.

Also, debutante balls are very different in Australia compared to America. They're just a formal party where the students dress up in suits and dresses.

Arksy

I went to one of those uppity private all boys schools and we asked the Headmaster if we were allowed to take a guy to our formal. The look on his face.

Gold.

Valhelm

contribute something
This is really disgusting. She can't bring her friend because they might be construed as (gasp!) lesbians.

At my prom, tons of girls went together as friends. I thought that was normal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Something about the fact that it's "Victorian" makes it hilarious, even though I know they mean the place and not the time period.

You have to stop and ask yourself a quick question. Who is most likely to pull the child out of the school.

-Traditionalists.
-Activists.

Well? As we all know, parents fucking overreact all the time. So who is more likely to pull their little prince/princess/whatever out of the school in a situation like this?

Binabik15

Now that it is resolved, what are "gender diverse" people? Especially when intersex is on the list as well (just had a genetics test featuring this, so I even know most mechanisms and syndroms responsible). Does it just mean trans people? I trust GAF more than online translations or wiki, thanks.

gah damn tolerant people imposing their tolerant wills onto the least tolerant.

i need to move me to a country where i can be intolerant

Now that it is resolved, what are "gender diverse" people? Especially when intersex is on the list as well (just had a genetics test featuring this, so I even know most mechanisms and syndroms responsible). Does it just mean trans people? I trust GAF more than online translations or wiki, thanks.

Presumably it's a lazy way of saying trans*, meant to encompass trans, genderqueer, agender, and bigender people. "Same-sex attracted" is also a weird way to say gay.

slit

It has to do with a lot of wacky stories coming out of those three places. It's been turned into a GAF meme. Try and guess from the thread title.

95% of the stories probably come from Florida though.

Binabik15

Presumably it's a lazy way of saying trans*, meant to encompass trans, genderqueer, agender, and bigender people. "Same-sex attracted" is also a weird way to say gay.

Okay, now I need an explanation of most of those terms, sorry. Trans, agender, bigender, okay, but genderqueer? Off to google I guess.

Edit: Regarding GAF, Germany had a scary streak of crazy stories a couple of years ago, mostly infanticide related. It was totally fucked up, maybe there was increased reporting instead of an uptick in actual child killings, but it felt like every season had a new case of a mother and her freezer full of dead babies or a guy extended suicideing his entire family. A poster called Gaborn (RIP) made it his mission to post every bit of weird amd/or upsetting news je could get his hands on, so there was a flood of gruesome stuff in the OT. And Austria had Fritzl around the same time, so you could include yet another country, especially since it was a meme to mix up Austria and Australia. As for Florida, well, in all my time on GAF I can't thonk of a time without crazy news from Austria.

It's a lot better today than it used to be, or I guess Pakistanis honour killing their pregnant relative and regular mass killings don't faze you as much when there were times when just the first page of OT contained enough graphic details in the topic names to make you physically sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom