• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientist Reflects on Dolphin Sex: "it never occurred to me not to do it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
Did she give a dolphin a hand job?

- Scientific study was happening with dolphins
- Dolphin was acting up a lot due to libido, constantly transporting him to a pen with females became problematic
- Decision was made to manually stimulate the dolphin so they could move on with the experiment
- Hustler caught on to the study, and much like this thread, capitalized on how people would react particularly with vague click-bait like titles that don't indicate that it wasn't actual sex.. some statements from the scientist didn't help much

Brakke

Banned
- Hustler caught on to the study, and much like this thread, capitalized on how people would react particularly with vague click-bait like titles that don't indicate that it wasn't actual sex.. some statements from the scientist didn't help much

lol such a sourpuss. It's not like I'm trying to sell magazines here, just a thing to giggle at together.

The best part is that all this happened in the 60's and that the quotes are all from a now 97 year old lady.

ODDI

201203242232298bafoufv.jpg

LOL

Mistel

Banned
Yes. Yes she did.
- Dolphin was acting up a lot due to libido, constantly transporting him to a pen with females became problematic
- Decision was made to manually stimulate the dolphin so they could move on with the experiment
Oh it's that study that makes much more sense now. Title isn't accurate then at all.

Iolo

While staring sensuously into said dolphin's eyes. Later, dolphin commits suicide after scientist jilts him. All very clinical and above-board.

does anyone remember a kids' book/story about a boy who made friends with a dolphin and rode him out to sea until one day he got impaled on its dorsal fin and the dolphin committed suicide by beaching itself? it's often occurred to me since as an unusually depressing thing for me to have read, but no idea what it is and never heard anyone mention it.

edit: it appears to be a 2nd-century story from the roman author aelian. perhaps i was a more highbrow kid than i realised :/

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
does anyone remember a kids' book/story about a boy who made friends with a dolphin and rode him out to sea until one day he got impaled on its dorsal fin and the dolphin committed suicide by beaching itself? it's often occurred to me since, but no idea what it is.

That sounds a happy story for kids.

Brakke

Banned
does anyone remember a kids' book/story about a boy who made friends with a dolphin and rode him out to sea until one day he got impaled on its dorsal fin and the dolphin committed suicide by beaching itself? it's often occurred to me since, but no idea what it is.

There's some Candle Cover shit going on here.

Enker

Good to know that click-bait isn’t a new invention. Sure, the science was a bit wacky (let’s give bath salts to zebras, what could go wrong?), but plausible given that it was the 60s.

That said, this thread was worth it just for the link to Vigilant Walrus’s shame.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is cool. Those old black and white photos of her with short hair are awesome. I'm definitively into it. Need super highres ones for my museum of awesome photos.

Kwixotik

I just want to point out this quote:
"That relationship of having to be together sort of turned into really enjoying being together, and wanting to be together, and missing him when he wasn't there," she reflects. "I did have a very close encounter with - I can't even say a dolphin again - with Peter."

We know that she regularly manually stimulated the dolphin, so the fact that she refers to one particularly close encounter suggests to me she had sex with it at least once.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So she manually relieved a dolphin with her hand?

People do this all day every day to get semen from breading animals.

Calling it "sex" is a bit misleading.. don't ya think?

My thoughts exactly. But, I think most people don't know exactly what the word "manually" means. People seem to think it means "in the most basic way" or "in an unadvanced/unsophisticated way." It hardly means "by hand" or "with the hand" in modern use, so it can cause confusion.

Brakke

Banned
My thoughts exactly. But, I think most people don't know exactly what the word "manually" means. People seem to think it means "in the most basic way" or "in an unadvanced/unsophisticated way." It hardly means "by hand" or "with the hand" in modern use, so it can cause confusion.

lol who doesn't know what "manually" means?

what?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This topic brings back memories of the infamous dolphinsex website.

... go on.

Lol you just don't know what the word means, that's a you problem

Has it really been that long since we've had a dolphin sex thread that people haven't seen that one Dolphin gif?

I suppose it has been quite awhile.

I say she slept with the dolphin. At least once, probably more than once.
Oh and for everyone saying she was cold about the dolphin killing himself, the whole quote paints it in a slightly different picture:
"I wasn't terribly unhappy about it," explains Lovatt, 50 years on. "I was more unhappy about him being in those conditions [at the Miami lab] than not being at all. Nobody was going to bother Peter, he wasn't going to hurt, he wasn't going to be unhappy, he was just gone. And that was OK. Odd, but that's how it was."

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
... go on.

Lol you just don't know what the word means, that's a you problem

Considering that I just literally posted the definition of the word manually, I don't know what you're saying. Unless you're being sarcastic.

zeopower6

does anyone remember a kids' book/story about a boy who made friends with a dolphin and rode him out to sea until one day he got impaled on its dorsal fin and the dolphin committed suicide by beaching itself? it's often occurred to me since as an unusually depressing thing for me to have read, but no idea what it is and never heard anyone mention it.

edit: it appears to be a 2nd-century story from the roman author aelian. perhaps i was a more highbrow kid than i realised :/

It was likely a part of a Greek myths compilation. The story in those is called "The Dolphin Rider".

zoozilla

I just want to point out this quote:

We know that she regularly manually stimulated the dolphin, so the fact that she refers to one particularly close encounter suggests to me she had sex with it at least once.

I say she slept with the dolphin. At least once, probably more than once.
Oh and for everyone saying she was cold about the dolphin killing himself, the whole quote paints it in a slightly different picture:

I've heard that dolphin ejaculations are super powerful. If that's really true, then her having actual sex with it would be.... impressive.

98b85ed5ebcbdbf31669aab2830058effbb65e6aa8bcd3cd6111a920e9e84e6e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom