• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Vashu

Gintoki said:
Will there be a list in the game with all the words you can use? cause if I haven't seen Vashu's post, how would I know that the gaf logo exists in the game?

I didn't expect it either, but I talked to the guys from 5th Cell about the 'legendary' post 217 and the avatar stuff going on. So they notified me of some of the possibilities. :D I think you can expect a lot more internet meme's than just longcat and keyboard cat.

Gintoki

Nocebo said:
You use your imagination and brain power to "try" things. Or maybe you should not worry about it and bugger off and return to playing halo or gears of war or something. You could also read this entire thread and see what things have been tried.

I was surprised to see the gaf logo, thats all. It never crossed my mind to see it in the game.

Blizzard

Banned
MNC said:
I think that's mainly physics, like those magic pen flash games you see online. This writing a word, getting a graphic for that word and using all of that object's properties as they were in real life.

Slight difference but enough not to call it a copycat :p
I know, and there was Crayon Physics, I was just amused (especially since Amazon suggested that to me in an email, probably because I preordered Scribblenauts).

Nocebo said:
I'm 99% sure that was the level editor being shown, there's a video of it too.

It was, but judging by how the memory bar operated it didn't fill up any slower than the actual version, and I think it's indicative of what we can expect.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Vashu said:
Hey guys,

Had a presentation of the game in Amsterdam last week and although it was short, we saw some very funny stuff. I'm not really sure if this is old (haven't checked the entire thread, so sorry about that), but I thought I'd try something.

I entered the word Neogaf, and out came this:

Scribble_02.jpg

When using it, a character pops out. Not really sure who it's supposed to be, but I think it's the maker of Post 217. Oh, and if you enter Post 217, I believe something explodes, the guys from 5th Cell showed it really quick after the presentation, so I'm not sure what did explode.

DSC_0056.jpg

dude, that is awesome. I just saw that other poster mention that neogaf is getting in more games, so what is other games that mention neogaf.

about damn time, when i get back from vacation; going to reserve my copy at mall

IGN put their preview up. It doesn't include any new info, and I think that might be why I picked up more on the one negative thing they DID say:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/100/1003029p1.html
There's still some question marks about how well the concept ties into a compelling long-term experience but the signs are promising – a week in the company of Scribblenauts and it has lost little of its charm, our DS still being bought out to silence doubters of its quite preposterous concept

I know they try to backpedal a bit with that last sentence, but it's still kind of a weird thing to say, and it got me thinking. Most of these sites have had the game for just over a week, and I'd say (judging from screenshots and comments) they've all "beaten" the game, in terms of getting to world 10 and such. It does make me worried, coupled with the comments by IGN, that maybe it's not AS challenging as some of us would like.

Of course this is also a preview build which is at best is unfinished and at worst is a little bit easier so that previewers can get a taste for everything...but you know.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SirPenguin said:
IGN put their preview up. It doesn't include any new info, and I think that might be why I picked up more on the one negative thing they DID say:

There's still some question marks about how well the concept ties into a compelling long-term experience but the signs are promising – a week in the company of Scribblenauts and it has lost little of its charm, our DS still being bought out to silence doubters of its quite preposterous concept

I know they try to backpedal a bit with that last sentence, but it's still kind of a weird thing to say, and it got me thinking. Most of these sites have had the game for just over a week, and I'd say (judging from screenshots and comments) they've all "beaten" the game, in terms of getting to world 10 and such. It does make me worried, coupled with the comments by IGN, that maybe it's not AS challenging as some of us would like.

Of course this is also a preview build which is at best is unfinished and at worst is a little bit easier so that previewers can get a taste for everything...but you know.

Be honest with you, I wouldn't worry about it. I meant that they can be wrong about games sometime, since they were being negative with few games but I end up like those games. Just that they have too high exception from a lot of games.

JohnsonUT

A solid week of gameplay sounds like a sweet spot for me since I undoubtedly do not have as much game time as IGN.

One aspect of replayability that I have not seen mentioned (maybe i have missed it) is that this is a game where you can hand to your wife or parents or other people who do not game much and get enjoyment from watching them try and solve the puzzles. It could give some interesting/funny insight into the way their minds work or what they are interested in.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I skipped around 30 pages and didn't see this question asked. If you make a car, and then a bear, can the bear drive you around?

Blizzard

Banned
SirPenguin said:

I hope you're bitterly disappointed. I'm bad at all games so I need this one to be easy enough for me to beat! :lol

But seriously, if IGN has beaten all 220 levels already and created tons of custom ones to share with their friends and bought all the avatars, then maybe it's too easy. However, given that Jackson has personally informed us that people will cry and curse his name when they play some of the puzzles, I'd just stop worrying. :p The closer it gets to release, or the more popular the hype is, the worse the backlash is, and the more people will hate it (either because it's cool to, because they don't have a DS, or because they expected more).

wRATH2x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
We've been through this dozens of times. I think it's in the OP:

Concrete Objects Only
No Proper Nouns
No Copyrighted Words
No Adjectives
E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Beyond that? Enjoy.
Oh OK thanks.
There is indeed a bar which fills up, and you can summon like 10 to 15 different objects (and combine them in the most crazy ways) from what I've played. Combine an elephant with a rocketlauncher to take out a tiger, really awesome. :p
Well that does sound awesome, I'll check it out.

Jackson

SirPenguin said:

No one has beaten the game, no one has come even close. No one has gotten to world 10. No one has experienced more than 20% of the levels. Period. Trust me on this if I say it.

Roughmar

Jackson said:
No one has beaten the game, no one has come even close. No one has gotten to world 10. No one has experienced more than 20% of the levels. Period. Trust me on this if I say it.

All I can say about this thread to you mate, is that I'm not going to buy the game.

I'm going to buy a fucking DS so that I can play this game.

This just blows my mind away.

lopaz

Banned
Roughmar said:
All I can say about this thread to you mate, is that I'm not going to buy the game.

No no you need the game cartridge as well as a DS to play Scribblenauts

I heard ceiling cat is in, if the game truly wants to prove itself Maxwell must start to masturbate when he is summoned.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Roughmar said:

What the hell is this supposed to mean?

ACE 1991

For those of you worried about the game's longevity, I feel that the level editor will really help to give the game a lot more life.

Kletian

Roughmar said:

You're denying yourself a whole lot more than just Scribblenauts by not buying a DS. Just sayin.

billy.sea

Banned
I think this game is played in a short burst, just like Wii Sports you can't play it nonstop for a week. It's the amusement and charm that keep you coming back, and not those story driven game that make you want to play 8 hours a day until you have beaten it.

Jackson said:

I'm noticing a trend here. I have some sort of doubt, voice it, and Jackson comes in and just owns my ass. Well, thank you, sir, yet again for clearing the doubts in my mind.

The real take-home from this is to never doubt Scribblenauts, Jackson, or 5TH Cell.

SirPenguin said:
I'm noticing a trend here. I have some sort of doubt, voice it, and Jackson comes in and just owns my ass. Well, thank you, sir, yet again for clearing the doubts in my mind.

The real take-home from this is to never doubt Scribblenauts, Jackson, or 5TH Cell.
I doubt that the game will have realistic breast physics!

Your move, Jackson. Your move.

A Scribblenauts video is up on the Nintendo Channel. Granted, it's an old one, but it's nice to finally be able to watch it on my TV where the rest of the family can see it.

Blizzard

Banned
Victrix said:
Ok, add built in video upload support, so everyone can share their hilarious scribblesituations on Youtube.
If there was ONE feature in the entire world I would add to the game, it would be a screenshot uploader to go with the level sharing thing. I helped make the Super Smash Brothers Brawl screenshot decoder (largely due to other people's research first, though), and (surprise surprise, Nintendo) lots of people used it to share amusing pictures from Brawl with their friends! I'll probably take some crappy digital camera shots anyway, but it would have been amazing if you could save neat shots in some fashion, to say nothing of YouTube videos.

DaveKap

Banned
I think I'm going to go insane just trying to find all the random internet memes added to this game and then trying to figure out how to use only memes to beat puzzles.

Goddamn I cannot wait for this game! Yet, despite that fact... I cannot wait for a sequel to be put on another platform that allows DLC! (But I think sharing levels will be amazing enough for the first release. :D )

MNC

What's beyond world 9?

World 10.

What's world 10?

...We don't go there anymore.

Also if we enter 2 months old shirt do we get moth eggs instead?

Bunch of cool shit and it's not even 8:26am!

First, NGamer just posted a bunch of their results from when they asked people for words to try out. And these guys brought pictures. Check it out

http://twitter.com/NGamer_mag

Also on the Twitter, Edge is holding a contest, and up to 3 people can win a copy of Scribblenauts.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/scribblenauts-competition

You just gotta solve 10-6, the level with Maxwell and the starite suspended over lava. Tweet them the answer, and you could win big.

SirPenguin said:
You just gotta solve 10-6, the level with Maxwell and the starite Suspended over lava. Tweet them the answer, and you could win big.

I saw that pic like yesterday and had some time trying to figure it out.. not really come up with a successful answer yet, but will win myself a copy of scribblenauts :)

Follow the ongoing saga to solve 10-6. It's a lot harder than you think. Some things:

http://twitter.com/edgeonline

-Maxwell is too short to reach his own rope
-The starite can be DESTROYED, so no point using explosives to free it
-You can't attach things to the starite while it's in the cage
-Water doesn't harden the lava

Blizzard

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Follow the ongoing saga to solve 10-6. It's a lot harder than you think. Some things:

I don't have Twitter (I don't like it in general), but how do they know if you post a suggestion? Does using a tag trigger some tracking thing they have?

Also, I have an idea, but if I share it and it works you have to give me your Scribblenauts copy. :lol Should I post it or try to make a Twitter account tonight if no one else got it?

Blizzard said:
I don't have Twitter (I don't like it in general), but how do they know if you post a suggestion? Does using a tag trigger some tracking thing they have?

Also, I have an idea, but if I share it and it works you have to give me your Scribblenauts copy. :lol Should I post it or try to make a Twitter account tonight if no one else got it?

Make a Twitter account. I'm not sure why people don't like it - there's nothing to really like or dislike. It's just one big RSS feed, unless you follow the losers who tweet about every little action.

And you reply to someone like, "@edgeonline _________________", and yeah, the system picks it up as a reply and you can track who is mentioning you in their updates.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SirPenguin said:

They should try to use ice.

MNC

10-6 isn't the last level, is it? D: It is one of the very final ones it seems...
What if you spawn a cloud, do you stand on top of it?

Top Bottom