• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Apoc29

Teasel said:

The currency in the game is called "ollars"? Jackson, any inspiration come from this?

3589zqc.jpg

6i4jud.jpg

jrricky

Banned
SirPenguin said:
3 new videos and a ton new screens shown here

http://www.gamekult.com/tout/jeux/fiches/J000093763.html

The site is french, but it's not too hard to navigate. Also shows off the avatar shop...

ME0001130771_2.jpg

Also, check out this level:

ME0001130761_2.jpg

...amazing. You START the level that way.
I don't get the avatar shop. Do you have to buy them before you are able to use those words or these just swap out Maxwell's avatar? Don't think I can watch the vid; on my iPhone.

And holy shit at that level where u r tied to that rope. :O

GDGF

Soothsayer
I liked the part where he said fuck the jetpack and took a pteranodon instead :)

Jumping the biker with the skateboard ala bart simpson was also awesome :) I would have used a motorcycle, though!

Blizzard

Banned
More people need to watch those videos. I'm partway through the second video, and the music is actually great. The kids' voices sound effects actually aren't annoying, since they only happen occasionally. The music makes me think of Mario music combined with something electric for some reason. :lol

"Epuissette" didn't work, and apparently it refers to a scoop or net. Would "filet" have been the right word for a bee net?

*edit* Wow, chainsaw didn't work well on zombies at all. I'll have to remember that. >_>

Brianemone said:
Looking forward to having a play on Wednesday, any requests?

Penguin, tophat, monocle, sword. Now combine them all ;)

More people need to watch those videos. I'm partway through the , and the music is actually great. The kids' voices sound effects actually aren't annoying, since they only happen occasionally. The music makes me think of Mario music combined with something electric for some reason.

I agree entirely! Look at 1-11, that puzzle level with the flowers. It's not particularly hard but it's definitely pretty involved. These videos showcase a REAL person actually going through the level and thinking things through. It's such a refreshing video to watch compared to the others.

Hopefully these sort of videos become more common and people can drop the "omg, Scribblenauts has no depth you'll get bored of it!" line.

Blizzard

Banned
Brianemone said:
Try crowbar and maybe boulder, and see if you can actually pry something, or if it's just a weapon.

Also try something like a boulder and a plank to make a catapault, and then drop an anvil on one side to launch Maxwell in the air, please? Someone already said that a catapault just launches projectiles, and can't be used to launch something like Maxwell or a cat, so I want to see if it's possible to use the physics engine to make an impromptou catapault/seesaw. (you might just be able to draw "seesaw" and drop an anvil on one side :p)

Forkball

Brianemone said:

I'm interested to see how many foreign words they put in. Foreign words that have no English counterpart I mean. Try "hwacha" and see if anything pops up.

Also FALLOUT DS
ME0001130760_2.jpg

Vashu

Hey guys,

Had a presentation of the game in Amsterdam last week and although it was short, we saw some very funny stuff. I'm not really sure if this is old (haven't checked the entire thread, so sorry about that), but I thought I'd try something.

I entered the word Neogaf, and out came this:

Scribble_02.jpg

When using it, a character pops out. Not really sure who it's supposed to be, but I think it's the maker of Post 217. Oh, and if you enter Post 217, I believe something explodes, the guys from 5th Cell showed it really quick after the presentation, so I'm not sure what did explode.

DSC_0056.jpg

Vashu

Forkball said:
Awesome work Vashu. Did you interact with the logo at all? Does it do anything special?

As I said and shown with the picture, this dude came out when I used to 'Neogaf ball'. But I'm not really sure what his connection is right now, didn't ask.

I'll email one of the 5th Cell guys to ask about that.

Scribble_01.jpg

Flek

Banned
Vashu said:
As I said and shown with the picture, this dude came out when I used to 'Neogaf ball'. But I'm not really sure what his connection is right now, didn't ask.

he came out? so its like a poke ball :lol

Gintoki

Will there be a list in the game with all the words you can use? cause if I haven't seen Vashu's post, how would I know that the gaf logo exists in the game?

Gintoki said:
Will there be a list in the game with all the words you can use? cause if I haven't seen Vashu's post, how would I know that the gaf logo exists in the game?
Yeah, there's a list of most of the words, it's called a dictionary.

You find out that exists by experimenting, going "I wonder if..."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Gintoki said:

No, because it would defeat the purpose of the game. Base words (aka: nothing overly unique, special, or secret) do not need to be listed as all objects should have a high possibility of appearing. You think it, type it, and it appears.

Extra words that aren't really normal, such as NeoGAF, Keyboard Cat, Rickroll, etc, are all just secret words that you'll need to discover on your own, asking yourself if typing in a popular meme/phrase/slang word will cause a reaction.

It's an Easter Egg hunt in the most literal sense. A list of 'secrets' would defeat the purpose.

Vashu

Flek said:
he came out? so its like a poke ball :lol

Well yeah, sorta. :D He just appears out of nowhere. Could be a regular gamer though.

Oh yeah, Longcat is in too. ;) I also got an invisible bike (just the steering wheel), but I couldn't combine a cat and the invisible bike. Would've been awesome!

mclem

JonathanEx said:
Yeah, there's a list of most of the words, it's called a dictionary.

You find out that exists by experimenting, going "I wonder if..."

This'll be the first ever game with a hint book made by Oxford University Press.

wRATH2x

Banned
GAF I want to know, since you can write something and it magically appears I'm pretty sure it has its limit. Now the question is even with a limit in place, how many things can I summon to beat this game?

Wrath2X said:
GAF I want to know, since you can write something and it magically appears I'm pretty sure it has its limit. Now the question is even with a limit in place, how many things can I summon to beat this game?

We've been through this dozens of times. I think it's in the OP:

Concrete Objects Only
No Proper Nouns
No Copyrighted Words
No Adjectives
E-E10 rated words only - this means No Vulgar/Offensive/Lewd/Drug/Alcohol related words

Beyond that? Enjoy.

Vashu

Wrath2X said:

There is indeed a bar which fills up, and you can summon like 10 to 15 different objects (and combine them in the most crazy ways) from what I've played. Combine an elephant with a rocketlauncher to take out a tiger, really awesome. :p

The bar fills up dynamically depending on what you summon in. Small items, tools, weapons, etc. don't take up that much room, but creatures (AI, etc.) do.

In one of the new screenshots we see a guy summoning in a werewolf, 3 zombies, and a chainsaw, and he still had enough room for probably a couple more tools or weapons. So the memory limit won't be that bad.

Nocebo

SirPenguin said:
In one of the new screenshots we see a guy summoning in a werewolf, 3 zombies, and a chainsaw, and he still had enough room for probably a couple more tools or weapons. So the memory limit won't be that bad.
I'm 99% sure that was the level editor being shown, there's a video of it too.
Gintoki said:
You use your imagination and brain power to "try" things. Or maybe you should not worry about it and bugger off and return to playing halo or gears of war or something. You could also read this entire thread and see what things have been tried.

Top Bottom