• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Blizzard

Banned
Aww, I guess "blizzard" is in the game but Edge Online said "avalanche" isn't. I guess it's too abstract. I'll try submitting an answer to be tested, but it sounds tough now. >_>

*edit* Also, they mentioned that "tools that don't work" is a problem with the solutions people have suggested, so I'm guessing that like I predicted, some (most?) tools may just be objects, or weapons, instead of capable of doing stuff like prying (for a crowbar).

Eh, I think they mean more that the tools people were suggesting wouldn't work. For example, you can't fire up with the flamethrower and you're too short to reach your own rope to use scissors. I think they said that so people would stop suggesting things like "Scissors" because they weren't working.

I'm surprised avalanche isn't in. After looking at the dictionary definition, though, it seems like it's a bit more intangible than I thought. Avalanche doesn't mean snow landslide. It just means a slide or fall of a large mass, which I imagine is hard to translate into an object.

Jackson

SirPenguin said:
Eh, I think they mean more that the tools people were suggesting wouldn't work. For example, you can't fire up with the flamethrower and you're too short to reach your own rope to use scissors. I think they said that so people would stop suggesting things like "Scissors" because they weren't working.

It was funny a lot of people at E3 would try to drag scissors over rope, and be like cut! I was like, "Wow I wish I had magical robotic scissors in my home that cut thick pieces of rope for me without me holding them and using them like these people obviously do." :lol

If they want scissors to work, put them in Maxwell's hands. Most tools work as intended in real life, not in magical fantasy life :)

Blizzard

Banned
SirPenguin said:
I'm surprised avalanche isn't in. After looking at the dictionary definition, though, it seems like it's a bit more intangible than I thought. Avalanche doesn't mean snow landslide. It just means a slide or fall of a large mass, which I imagine is hard to translate into an object.
"A large mass of snow, ice, etc., detached from a mountain slope and sliding or falling suddenly downward."

WORD NOT IN, PREORDER CANCELLED :O
:p

Jackson said:
It was funny a lot of people at E3 would try to drag scissors over rope, and be like cut! I was like, "Wow I wish I had magical robotic scissors in my home that cut thick pieces of rope for me without me holding them and using them like these people obviously do." :lol

If they want scissors to work, put them in Maxwell's hands. Most tools work as intended in real life, not in magical fantasy life :)

Heh, yeah. My sister, who is only 11, thought the game worked like that. She kept saying she'd just spawn in "basket" and carry the starite to her.

tbh I think that limitation makes the game all the more deep. You have to put yourself in Maxwell's shoes, and the answers make sense as they would in real life.

Kletian

I wonder if the following would work (don't have twitter, not bothering to get it just for this)

1) Summon Saw
2) Saw one side of cage off
3) Summon plank, hammer, and nail
4) use plank to span gap to other cage, nail it down
5) Summon Weight, place in cage (to offset max's weight for step 6)
6) walk across plank
7) Saw side of starite cage
8) collect Starite

Blizzard

Banned
Kletian said:
I wonder if the following would work (don't have twitter, not bothering to get it just for this)

1) Summon Saw
2) Saw one side of cage off
3) Summon plank, hammer, and nail
4) use plank to span gap to other cage, nail it down
5) Summon Weight, place in cage (to offset max's weight for step 6)
6) walk across plank
7) Saw side of starite cage
8) collect Starite
Maxwell can't reach the cage (even by swinging) so he can't saw it like that. Also, I get the impression from their twitter feed that if anything damages the crate, it just all goes at once, so I don't know if you can saw off just one side.

Puffles

Banned
Hiya guys! ^_^

I joined NeoGAF just to be able to take part in this amazingly epic thread for this amazingly epic game! (I'll definitely stick around, though; it's refreshing to see a community of gamers that doesn't consist solely of immature and mentally challenged people.)

I'm a little confused as to exactly how Jackson knows that nobody's beaten the game yet, or even come close to doing so. (And for that matter, how Edge Online can hold a competition to solve a level from World 10, if nobody's reached World 10 yet.)

DaveKap

Banned
Puffles said:
I'm a little confused as to exactly how Jackson knows that nobody's beaten the game yet, or even come close to doing so. (And for that matter, how Edge Online can hold a competition to solve a level from World 10, if nobody's reached World 10 yet.)

He works for 5TH Cell, the makers of the game.

Puffles

Banned
DaveKap said:
He works for 5TH Cell, the makers of the game.

I know that. I'm under the impression that several major gaming sites have gotten demo copies of the game, and I was wondering how he can tell that nobody's even close to beating the game yet, given that he obviously can't directly monitor everyone's progress.

And the thing about Edge Online's contest that's asking players to solve a level that the people at Edge Online themselves haven't unlocked yet (according to Jackson)... that's very confusing.

(Just to clarify: I'm not calling Jackson a liar; I don't think he's lying. I'm just wondering how all these facts can possibly fit together.)

Jackson

Puffles said:
I know that. I'm under the impression that several major gaming sites have gotten demo copies of the game, and I was wondering how he can tell that nobody's even close to beating the game yet, given that he obviously can't directly monitor everyone's progress.

And the thing about Edge Online's contest that's asking players to solve a level that the people at Edge Online themselves haven't unlocked yet (according to Jackson)... that's very confusing.

(Just to clarify: I'm not calling Jackson a liar; I don't think he's lying. I'm just wondering how all these facts can possibly fit together.)

I don't just work for 5TH Cell, I'm one of the owners and the Director on Scrib.

So just trust me. :) It makes sense, no one has beaten the game or experienced more than 20% of the levels. No one has unlocked world 10, even if they are playing a world 10 level.

Press preview builds are special like that. :)

Orpheon

Banned
After sticking with this wonderful thread and reading every single post of the last 67 pages for the past 2 months, I've never felt quite as euphoric as now to be posting on a forum.

In short: everything has more or less been already said, and we now bathe in the newly released media which again is making us all smile.

The game is gaining momentum with respect to publicity here in Australia as well, especially on the numerous Aussie gaming forums - it's only a matter of time before NoA make a move and begin the screening of adverts on TV.

Our classification board - the OFLC - have given the game a rating of PG, which is somewhat equivalent to E8+. I was interested on your thoughts, Jackson, about the ESRB's decision to give Scribblenauts a rating of E10+. Is it what you were aiming for?

Jackson

Orpheon said:
I was interested on your thoughts, Jackson, about the ESRB's decision to give Scribblenauts a rating of E10+. Is it what you were aiming for?

E-E10+ is only a minor difference really, so no big deal. It just means someone under 10 can't buy the game themselves, which they probably shouldn't be anyway. If an 8 year old kid is walking into a game store with a wad full of cash without his folks, there's bigger problems that need sorting out. :lol

The ESRB was very accommodating with trying to rate a game like Scribblenauts.

Puffles

Banned
Jackson said:
I don't just work for 5TH Cell, I'm one of the owners and the Director on Scrib.

So just trust me. :) It makes sense, no one has beaten the game or experienced more than 20% of the levels. No one has unlocked world 10, even if they are playing a world 10 level.

Press preview builds are special like that. :)

Okay, fair enough. ^^ Now I'm going to assume that the preview build has 44 levels.

Oh, what I'd do for a ROM of the preview build... <3

Drkirby said:
Couldn't you just use a teleporter in 10-6?

And place it on what? The lava would melt it. (Not to mention that you can't really control where it teleports you...)

tabsina

Puffles said:
Okay, fair enough. ^^ Now I'm going to assume that the preview build has 44 levels.

Oh, what I'd do for a ROM of the preview build... <3

Here is a better idea, preorder the game and forget the word "ROM" exists

Puffles

Banned
tabsina said:
Here is a better idea, preorder the game and forget the word "ROM" exists

I just mentioned ROMs because getting a physical copy of the preview build is even less likely than getting a ROM of it. I never said I wanted to pirate anything.

While we're on the subject, I'm probably going to download and play the ROM of Scribblenauts, just so that I can keep all my games on one cartridge, but I'll definitely buy a physical copy of the game, even if I don't use it. With a game this amazing, I feel quite obligated to support the developers. (Plus, owning the manual will be nice.)

Not all ROM users are pirates. I use my M3 Real responsibly.

Orpheon

Banned
:Motorbass said:
Sorry if this has been asked, but will there be a demo for the Nintendo channel? Lock's Quest had one. :]
Demos usually make themselves available close to or just after the release of a DS title, so even if 5th Cell arrange such a demo - it'll most likely be on the Nintendo Channel around the time of Scribblenaut's release in mid September, by which time - I am sure - most people here will be booting up the full version they have pre-ordered.

Puffles said:

While we're on the subject, I'm probably going to download and play the ROM of Scribblenauts, just so that I can keep all my games on one cartridge, but I'll definitely buy a physical copy of the game, even if I don't use it. With a game this amazing, I feel quite obligated to support the developers. (Plus, owning the manual will be nice.)

Not all ROM users are pirates. I use my M3 Real responsibly.
I know you have good intentions - yet posting that may not have been the best idea given the people who roam this thread.

Puffles

Banned
Orpheon said:
I know you have good intentions - yet posting that may not have been the best idea given the people who roam this thread.

If people want to misjudge me, then fine, let them do so. I use my flash card to run free homebrew, and all the games that I already legally own. (Never having to swap cartridges is even more convenient than it sounds.) If someone wants to be ignorant and call me a pirate because I use ROMs, I don't mind - it'll make for some good entertainment.

tabsina

MNC said:

Holy.. :lol :lol that is stellar.. this definitely will be the video I use to convince people who are already quite excited about the idea

Puffles said:
If people want to misjudge me, then fine, let them do so. I use my flash card to run free homebrew, and all the games that I already legally own. (Never having to swap cartridges is even more convenient than it sounds.) If someone wants to be ignorant and call me a pirate because I use ROMs, I don't mind - it'll make for some good entertainment.

Yeh, I know that people can use flashcards responsibly, though I think the point of you not being able to attain the physical copy of the preview build should be enough to tell you whether it is a 'responsible' use of your M3..

btw, this is a bit off-topic, but a ROM image, as I understand it, doesn't include free homebrew in its definition, since free homebrew in general isn't copied off a storage device with read only memory.. so I wasn't referring to the legal practices that can be linked with downloading ROMs

Sorry about starting this stream of conversation, I won't continue talking about it from this post onwards

Puffles

Banned
tabsina said:
Yeh, I know that people can use flashcards responsibly, though I think the point of you not being able to attain the physical copy of the preview build should be enough to tell you whether it is a 'responsible' use of your M3..

I highly doubt that I'd ever be able to get my hands on a ROM of the preview copy, and I wasn't ever intending to try, due to it being near-impossible.

In any case, I don't want to derail this thread, so no more talking about ROMs. Let's focus on the pure awesomeness of Scribblenauts. :D

Orpheon

Banned
I find it now as we edge closer and closer towards September that more and more about the final version of the game is being divulged . . . especially words that I'm keen to try and that haven't yet been used as fuel logs for the hype train now billowing steam and thundering down the tracks at 88 mph (141.6 kmph for those of you playing at home).

The greatest downside about media feasting and building up the hype by finding out online which hilariously brilliant words have made it into Scribblenauts - especially Internet memes - is that it diminishes the joy and hilarity of actually discovering the existence of said words while playing the game in your hands.

I'm not saying that the game has been spoilt for myself, what with the likes of the time machine and
roflcopter
ready to be spawned by Maxwell for hitherto unexpected adventures, but rather to preserve the game for it's intended effect as much as possible - we should be trying as best as humanly possible not to spoil the best of the best for ourselves.

Quite the post you have there.

Well, anyways, I agree. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for even the tiniest bit of info, and I even (stupidly) keep a blog of Scribblenauts crap. I can't help but feel like I'm doing my future self a great disservice by saturating myself with Scribbleinfo. I am comforted, though, that Jackson told us these preview builds only contain a mere fraction of the game.

I'm not too worried about spoiling words. With tens of thousands it'll be damn impossible for me to go through all of them in any sort of timely manner.

jarosh

Orpheon said:
I find it now as we edge closer and closer towards September that more and more about the final version of the game is being divulged . . . especially words that I'm keen to try and that haven't yet been used as fuel logs for the hype train now billowing steam and thundering down the tracks at 88 mph (141.6 kmph for those of you playing at home).

The greatest downside about media feasting and building up the hype by finding out online which hilariously brilliant words have made it into Scribblenauts - especially Internet memes - is that it diminishes the joy and hilarity of actually discovering the existence of said words while playing the game in your hands.

I'm not saying that the game has been spoilt for myself, what with the likes of the time machine and
roflcopter
ready to be spawned by Maxwell for hitherto unexpected adventures, but rather to preserve the game for it's intended effect as much as possible - we should be trying as best as humanly possible not to spoil the best of the best for ourselves.
how 'bout some self control? just don't read any more previews/watch any more videos etc. it's not that hard, trust me. i do it with almost every game i'm interested in.

Blizzard

Banned
Babylonian said:
Does it really boggle your mind that much that more than one person would have the idea to create a game with a drawing theme on a system whose primary input is a touchscreen?
Yes, I couldn't imagine anyone drawing on the DS before Scribblenauts. :(

Technically, the main character of that game seems to be a generically-named character who draws objects into existence to solve puzzles, which is a LITTLE more similar. :p It just struck me as funny/generic for some reason.

Mdk7

I finally tried the game today at the Italian event...
HOLY FUCK, i was so blown away by it!!
This is probably one of the most ambitious ideas ever put in a game, and the way it works is just so sublime.
It truly feels like magic in your hands, really...

I can't wait to play it, and it will be so rad to see how people will solve the same problems in very different ways.

Game of the generation material, definitely.

rhino4evr

for that lava puzzle...PS- I dont have Twitter, and its blocked from my computer.

coudl you summon a magnet to hold that would bring you up to the steel. and the ceiling.

then summon a grappling hook to latch on to the ceiling.

then swing over to the cage.

open the top of the wood cage with a saw?

ombz said:
I hope there is a demo on the wii's nintendo channel. (Hopefully an early demo)
I don't see how they could possibly make anything that decently shows off the game but fits in the small space wireless DS demos can use. They'd have to do something like limit it to 3 letter words that start with A.

KScorp

rhino4evr said:
for that lava puzzle...PS- I dont have Twitter, and its blocked from my computer.

coudl you summon a magnet to hold that would bring you up to the steel. and the ceiling.

then summon a grappling hook to latch on to the ceiling.

then swing over to the cage.

open the top of the wood cage with a saw?

Edge online isn't taking any more questions, but they did say you can't latch on to the ceiling other than through the steel plates and when the cage is destroyed, it all falls apart at once. (You can't just take the top off and jump in.)

The magnet is a possibility, but the difficult thing about this contest is that you can't really experiment too much. There are so many "possible" ways to solve the puzzle, but it really takes some luck for the game to work exactly as you plan. That's part of the fun, after all.

KScorp

Blizzard said:
I won't be checking twitter until later either -- does this mean they stopped accepting suggestions and no one solved it?

No, they just stopped giving hints to what works and doesn't work. They will keep testing submissions submitted before some time (2:00PM?) on Friday, and they won't say who (if anyone) solved it until all submissions were accounted for.

rhino4evr

The ign article mentioned something about Pegasus and some scissors..but it didn't clarify what puzzle.

So you summon a flying creature.. cut your rope with scissors

Summon a steel boat/cruise ship? to float in the lava. but the cage so it breaks and the star falls onto the boat.

ehh?

KScorp

rhino4evr said:
The ign article mentioned something about Pegasus and some scissors..but it didn't clarify what puzzle.

So you summon a flying creature.. cut your rope with scissors

Summon a steel boat/cruise ship? to float in the lava. but the cage so it breaks and the star falls onto the boat.

ehh?

Lava seems to be the impervious kills-every-it-touches barrier. The ceiling is the same (minus the kills everything part).

The point of the level is to basically do everything in midair. Here are the details Edge revealed so far:

Things known so far about level 10-6, through Edge Online and their Scribblenauts Contest:

Maxwell can't shoot upwards with a flamethrower. (This may apply to other weapons as well.)
Maxwell can't reach above his head. (ie. You can't give him scissors to cut the rope off his head while he's hanging on it.)
Boomerangs can destroy the cage. But they can't cut rope.
The cage will either stay in tact or fall apart all at once. You can't remove only one side.
Maxwell, the Starite, and every other object will die if they come in contact with the lava.
Nothing can cool down the lava.
Apparently the Starite can be caught on fire, but the wording was a little vague and it might simply be referring to the Starite falling into the lava.
Dragons can't be ridden. >.>
You can attach Maxwell to the cage via another rope.
Things inside cages can't be messed with, and you can't put things inside cages.
The hat can be removed, and you can use wings to fly around.
Cupid does not obey orders. >.>
The rope length you see in those images is the longest they can be; chains are also restrained by this length. (All "rope" types probably have this restriction.)
You can't summon floating platforms. :lol

And to qualify as a contest entry, you can only summon a maximum of 5 objects (par or below for the level). Click on the link in the first sentence to see the contest description and pictures of the level for reference.

I honestly really love the starite can be destroyed. I think it'll force people to be a lot more strategic and thoughtful about their solutions.

Orpheon

Banned
Indeed it would have been funny if the Starite was indestructible, and in this particular level if it sank to the bottom of the impervious lava pit - obtaining it then would be quite impossible.

KScorp

I find the fact that a person can make a contest out of a single Scribblenauts level (which, according to Jackson, isn't even as hard as they can get) is proof that this game will present a challenge.

Anyone worried about an easy game need not be disappointed.
Anyone who wanted an easier game... may be disappointed. :lol

Although I guess the game isn't very "difficult" as much as it is "taking time to strain your imagination" to come up with something that works.

Also, one thing has been bugging me about the game; in the Shotgun-totting skateboard-riding God VS Cthulhu video, God wasn't able to use his shotgun while riding the skateboard! Is this part of the design or will you be able to use (some) vehicles and tools at the same time?

Unless only the Skateboarder has enough skills to ride and shoot at the same time of course. :D

Maxwell can't reach above his head. (ie. You can't give him scissors to cut the rope off his head while he's hanging on it.)

I know that they're not accepting submissions anymore, but it doesn't mean we can't still theorize.

Perhaps he can't reach above his head with a single item, but we do have five items to play with. Remember the panda/unicycle deal? A plank was glued to a top hat. I wonder if something similar can be done with the top hat here. Glue a blade to it? A circular saw, perhaps? Replace Maxwell's top hat with a pickelhaube? Failing that, maybe a contraption can be placed in Maxwell's hand, with some way to reach up. I'm thinking, have some random hand-held item that sticks out a bit to the side, then glue some kind of polearm to it. Bec de corbin, anyone?

Once the rope is cut, I guess you'd need a flying ridable animal of some kind, as rhino4evr stated, to get him over to the cage and bust it from below. I'm thinking a roc or a wyvern...heck, how about a flying carpet? As for the cage breaker, I'm still liking the pickelhaube here.

See, that's what I love about this game concept: you get to bust out all the vocabulary you thought was useless and apply it for fun. Sure, people seem excited about internet memes. Me, I want Maxwell to be rocking a susuwat or a binakoko, distracting a child with an ookpik, or seeing if the doctor in the first world is into archaic or homeopathic medical practices by giving him trephines, echinacea and leeches. Maybe even a phrenology bust. "Why not?"

Helix Snake

Neo Member
someguyinahat, you realize Maxwell can take off the hat, right?

Also, I could probably solve the hanging over lava puzzle with 2 items if I could experiment with it.

KScorp

someguyinahat said:
I know that they're not accepting submissions anymore, but it doesn't mean we can't still theorize.

They are still accepting solutions to the puzzles; they just aren't answering questions regarding it any more. You have until 2PM this Friday to submit an answer.

And yes, you can take the hat off. It's only meant as a place to start out, seeing as there is only lava below you.

They are still accepting solutions to the puzzles; they just aren't answering questions regarding it any more. You have until 2PM this Friday to submit an answer.

In that case anyone's free to use any or all of my ideas - I'm not on Twitter.

KScorp said:
I find the fact that a person can make a contest out of a single Scribblenauts level (which, according to Jackson, isn't even as hard as they can get) is proof that this game will present a challenge.

Anyone worried about an easy game need not be disappointed.
Anyone who wanted an easier game... may be disappointed. :lol

Although I guess the game isn't very "difficult" as much as it is "taking time to strain your imagination" to come up with something that works.

Also, one thing has been bugging me about the game; in the Shotgun-totting skateboard-riding God VS Cthulhu video, God wasn't able to use his shotgun while riding the skateboard! Is this part of the design or will you be able to use (some) vehicles and tools at the same time?

Unless only the Skateboarder has enough skills to ride and shoot at the same time of course. :D

This is also an Action level, which requires a bit more "game-y" skill. Those looking for a different type of challenge (say, puzzle-y) will probably stick to, indeed, Puzzle mode.

Though I'm noticing some Puzzle sections have a fair deal of "action" to them, such as that level with the flowers.

Helix Snake

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
Though I'm noticing some Puzzle sections have a fair deal of "action" to them, such as that level with the flowers.

The first thing I'm going to do on that level is glue the basket to the ground. I don't care if it uses up an item, I don't want to have to struggle with repeatedly putting the flowers back in the basket while the idiot woman runs around kicking it and knocking them back out.

Top Bottom