• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

SirPenguin said:
Oh jeeze, I didn't mean to steal your thunder. I had figured you were a GAFfer, but not an active one like that!

Don't worry. Just glad it's getting out. If I'm going to get angry at anyone it's Feep....... jerk:D

Great video. I especially liked how you pointed out grimalkins are in the game via the misspelling feature. I can't wait to see other discoveries made while misspelling words, just to see what comes up. Can't you just picture yourself typing in gibberish and picking one of the suggestions?

"Did you mean...."
"Yes. Yes I did."

KScorp

SirPenguin said:
-Put a dino egg in an oven, made a fucking dino egg omlette and a caveman ate it. holy fuck

This is the amazing technical wizardry that is Scribblenauts. You look at that statement and think of how hard it must have been to get such things to work together that way. But it's so simple that it can be reduced to terms applicable to hundreds (if not thousands) of different combinations.

On the lowest level, you're putting uncooked food into something which cooks, produces its cooked counterpart, and may then be eaten.

That's why you can put waffle batter into a waffle iron to make a bakery fresh waffles. And then have them eaten by many children singing about how they love waffles and other baked breakfast goods.*
That's why you can put flour, water, eggs, and honey into a bowl, place it in an oven, and have a bear eat the end result.*

And that's why Scribblenauts is going to be GOTF.

*Statements not endorsed, approved, or confirmed by 5th Cell or any current user of Scribblenauts.

MNC

Brianemone said:
Don't worry. Just glad it's getting out. If I'm going to get angry at anyone it's Feep....... jerk:D
I already wondered how a gaming journalist followed all the stuff about Feep, meatbaby and gaf :lol

mj1108

SirPenguin said:
We got video confirmation of Feep! He spawns...a ROBOT ZOMBIE. But you can defeat him with a ray gun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZ0dQ2ATxU

Bwahahahaha

Other stuff:

-GAF logo spawns gamer OR you can ride it. wtf?
-Can't eat things
-Put a dino egg in an oven, made a fucking dino egg omlette and a caveman ate it. holy fuck
-Scribblenauts highlights everything he hates about life because life isn't like Scribblenauts in that you can't just spawn items

incredible video

Game of the forever. This game should be a requirement to own to post on the gaming side.

Blizzard

Banned
Aside from my three demands posted earlier, I also plan to try dropping an anvil on one side of a seesaw as my first test of the physics engine. :lol

Blizzard said:
Aside from my three demands posted earlier, I also plan to try dropping an anvil on one side of a seesaw as my first test of the physics engine. :lol

Oh crap forgot to mention this.

It works. Doesn't take you very far but it works.

Jackson

Brianemone said:
Half an hour is no where long enough to get all the ins and outs of this game.

We had a little play and tried out some of the stuff that people asked about. Tried to get Maxwell to eat spinach but the damn lady bird got it first. The bear didn't drive the car, but if a Panda can ride a unicycle then maybe I missed something there.

Feep is in the game now, he is some kind of weird Zombie robot creature with a bit of dribble. Neogaf can be used or ridden, using it spawns a gamer.

http://buttonmasher.co.nz/blog/2009/07/17/scribblenauts-preview/

We did a little video of it as well, it's just so deep that I don't think a video/preview can do it justice. Maybe we should just leave it with what Feep wrote.

:lol great vid man!

Brianemone: "In real life I can't have everthing I want, in Scribblenauts I pretty much can."

Wugga: "Like a meat-covered baby."

Brianemone: "Like a meat-covered baby and feed it to a lion and in real life I can't do that... well... I can." :lol

Feep

Banned
MNC said:
I already wondered how a gaming journalist followed all the stuff about Feep, meatbaby and gaf :lol
Well, he and Wugga are the guys with whom I went to E3 in the first place.

I wanted to stay unspoiled about what happened when I was typed in, but alas. :lol It's not like it's gonna stop me from getting it.

Casval said:
Excuse me for my nubbery, but is there any incentive to complete objectives creatively?

Totally, that's where the fun comes from. It also rewards you for solving the same problem multiple ways.

Orpheon

Banned
Blizzard said:
This is pretty much what I have planned to do first for 1-1; the Starite out of the tree level.

Just had the greatest brainwave: watch episodes of Wile E. Coyote vs Roadrunner and replicate the ACME moments in Scribblenauts . . .

Blizzard

Banned
Brianemone said:
Oh crap forgot to mention this.

It works. Doesn't take you very far but it works.
Orpheon said:
This is pretty much what I have planned to do first for 1-1; the Starite out of the tree level.

Just had the greatest brainwave: watch episodes of Wile E. Coyote vs Roadrunner and replicate the ACME moments in Scribblenauts . . .
Yeah, I meant to use it for the tree level too. Thanks Brianemone! That makes me happy to hear, so there will be at least some possibility for crazy Rube Goldberg-type-style interaction, though it sounds like I may not get enough launching power from the anvil. I guess I'll have to get some rocket skates and a ramp instead... :lol

Jackson said:
:lol great vid man!
Sir, I was waiting for you to return to the thread of ravenous fans! I still have these two questions that we've been discussing, if you get a spare moment at one point. :D
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16683082&postcount=3361

(I think the question about how the game rewards you for creativity/par isn't really as important, and we can already partly tell from the "merit" screen, so I didn't include it)

EDGE winners announced (poor me:( )

Scribblenauts! Congrats to @shinibi, our grand winner despite landing in the lava! Runner up is @elecveg, and consolation prize @KScorp

Apparently they're making a video of how the level was completed.. (spoilers below)

1st solution: Grapple steel above starite via "grappling hook", "fire" to burn Maxwell's rope, and "termites" to eat the cage. Starite get?

2nd: Grappling Hook to Maxwell, shoot at right metal block. Pull up. Remove hat when over cage, release hook, use Drill to get in.

3rd) Second attempt: 1) Summon a pterodactyl, glue a plank horizontally to its head, position it so plank is under the cage.Give yourself wings, take off top hat, land on the plank next to cage. Get axe, destroy cage, get Starite that's on the plank

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
First post here on NeoGAF. Joined just for this thread, been waiting for my approval for weeks.

Freakin' can't wait! Been following the game since the first IGN previews.
Not sure if anyone cares, but I ripped the catchy music from the trailers into mp3s. I don't know NeoGAF's policy on file sites like Megaupload, so I'm asking here before posting links.

KScorp

flipping_heck said:
EDGE winners announced (poor me:( )

3rd) Second attempt: 1) Summon a pterodactyl, glue a plank horizontally to its head, position it so plank is under the cage.Give yourself wings, take off top hat, land on the plank next to cage. Get axe, destroy cage, get Starite that's on the plank

=0

I GOT THIRD.

Wasn't expecting that at all. :D

KScorp

The_Technomancer said:
Nice job with a ridiculously creative solution. I mean, gluing a plank to a Pterodactyl?

I was worried that if you get the starite but fall into the lava you lose. The guy who got first proved that wrong though. ^_^

Either way, it's just fun thinking of ways to solve it. What I wanted most was to know if my solution would work. :D

KScorp

Helix Snake said:
I'd like to at least know about any other really creative or different solutions that worked, even if they didn't win.
Same. There are so many ways to win, someone must have thought of some pretty amazing solutions. (Someone here posted about Wings and Termites. That would have won easily, and at only two objects to boot.)

ombz said:
I don't see why there is a need for friend codes.
There usually isn't. That's one of the few reasons people dislike Nintendo games, and one of the reasons the Wii and DS appear as the "Kiddie" consoles.

This might be a silly question, but this game should run fine on a DSi, right? Actually, because of the increased processor and RAM, would Scribblenauts run "better" on that hardware?

Zeppu

Okay, so what are you guys going to write first when you get the game?

I'm gonna try "Higgs boson"...

Maybe scribblenauts can prove the superstring theory :D

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
SirPenguin said:
This might be a silly question, but this game should run fine on a DSi, right? Actually, because of the increased processor and RAM, would Scribblenauts run "better" on that hardware?

Unless the game is specifically made to be able to utilize said processor and RAM, there will be no difference in it running on a DSlite/DSi, other then the DSi's larger screen.

KScorp

I've been following this thread for a while when I wasn't a member and it took about 2 weeks to get approved when I finally registered to post. As far as I'm concerned this thread is a great entry point into the NeoGAF forums.

Fuz

Banned
Helix Snake said:
I don't know about the others, but I got an account just to post in this thread.

Same here.
Love this game, is mind-blowing and, just hear a gamer who started with a C=64, it will be another huge revolution in game designing.

Anyway, I preordered this (for us europeans it will be out in november :( now I'm sad.) and I'm thinking about preordering another copy to give a friend. Only thing that's stopping me is that I don't know if the euro version will have italian already on every copy... I have no problem with english (and I see the game as a means to improve my english, so I preordered one copy istantly after reading post #217) but my friend can't speak it very well, so I was wondering if I have to wait for an italian specific Scribblenauts or my language will be in the generic euro version.
Jackson, do you have any info about that, yet?

Fuz said:
Anyway, I preordered this (for us europeans it will be out in november :( now I'm sad.)

Wut? Says who? US release is the 15th, UK is 25th. As far as I know no other region releases have been announced.

Anyways, Jackson, you gotta get someone to fix the official website! The "Videos" section is messed up due to the background image, it STILL is missing the second trailer, and the "About" page contains a rather obvious typo:

"Catch the starite byt writing down any object you can think of and watch it come to life"

zagman505

Neo Member
Haha I see I'm not the only person to join GAF exclusively because of Scribblenauts. Can't wait to go back to the USA so I can drop in a pre-order or three.

+1 sale for Scribblenauts from me. Been following this game since when it was first announced, and my expectations are continuously getting blown away. I hope this becomes one of this year's biggest hits, as it deserves to be more than any other game, IMO. Keep up the awesome work, 5th Cell!

Question (if you choose to accept it): how elements (as in, the ones on the Periodic Table) are in this game? I know that obvious elements would be in, such as gold, silver, etc. Also, I know that the most obscure elements (e.g. Einsteinium and Germanium). But what about those elements that are not well-known, but not really obscure either, such as, say, cobalt or tungsten? I'm guessing they'll probably just spawn generic pieces of metal. Am i right about this guess? Either way, I'll be sure to test out these words when I buy the game.

Other things I can't wait to try out:
Typing in various gemstones/minerals (such as sapphire, peridot, onyx, pyrite, talc, quartz, etc.)
Mixing baking soda with vinegar
Setting fire to EVERYTHING
Forming a rock band (by typing guitarist, drummer, singer, etc.)
Messing around with different instruments (I'll manage to fit bagpipes into a solution somewhere)

Now, I'm not saying that I expect all of the above things to work (if the baking soda/vinegar thing works, I'll be completely taken aback), but half the fun will be in trying. As mentioned before, I am already sold on this game. Heck, it's one of the few games this generation that I'd be willing to pay $60 for. $30 (it will be $30, right? not that I care) seems like a steal.

Blizzard

Banned
Smash_Bros_is_Awesome said:
Heck, it's one of the few games this generation that I'd be willing to pay $60 for. $30 (it will be $30, right? not that I care) seems like a steal.
Just don't keep your expectations too high. Even AVALANCHE doesn't work. What game of the generation doesn't have AVALANCHE. ;p

Also, bear in mind it's $28 with free shipping if you preorder from Amazon. :)

I'm yet another person who recently joined GAF just because of this thread. I got interested in the game after it won so many "best of E3" nods, and while trying to find more info about it, I discovered this forum.

Top Bottom