• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Here's my solution to 10-6:

Summon Pegasus below Maxwell, remove hat to drop onto it. Then build new hat with hat, glue, and sword, facing upwards. Fly below the cage and rise into it with swordhat. The Starite should fall into you. Four items and the win.

Puffles

Banned
dukerayburn said:
Here's my solution to 10-6:

Summon Pegasus below Maxwell, remove hat to drop onto it. Then build new hat with hat, glue, and sword, facing upwards. Fly below the cage and rise into it with swordhat. The Starite should fall into you. Four items and the win.

First of all, a Pegasus is going to fly as far away from the lava as possible (up to the ceiling) as soon as you summon it. You're much better off using a jetpack or wings... although you can't really hover while you make a hat and put it on. Perhaps you can balance on top of the cage for a while?

I'm not sure if the sword would break the Starite or not, but it might.

Helix Snake

Neo Member
Hell, you can probably beat it with just 2 items: "Jetpack" and "termites". Equip jetpack, remove hat, hover under cage and put termites on top of cage. If termites don't work, I'm sure there's something else that would. Acid for instance? Either way, you can beat it with 2, leaving you 3 under par.

Kletian

You know I think I've decided that for every zombie level in the game, I'm summoning Michael Jackson (I know proper names arent in it, but Einstein was, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed)

Then they can be busy dancing Thriller, while I waltz over and grab the Starite.

http://www.gamez.nl/pc/nieuws/27533/gamez-tv-scribblenauts---interview.html

Around the 1:00 minute mark the guy doing the interview makes an interesting claim:

You can have around say 20-24 items at the same time in a level in addition to what is already there

Now call me crazy, but that's crazy. And this isn't just some random PR person who might be confused. This is Marius Fahlbusch, the Technical Director of 5TH Cell. So you'd think he'd know.

So what do you guys think? Did he misspeak? Is he talking about just small items (as opposed to, say, critters) so you can cram 20-24 in? Or can the final build support more than we've seen?

GDGF

Soothsayer
SirPenguin said:

Around the 1:00 minute mark the guy doing the interview makes an interesting claim:

Now call me crazy, but that's crazy. And this isn't just some random PR person who might be confused. This is Marius Fahlbusch, the Technical Director of 5TH Cell. So you'd think he'd know.

So what do you guys think? Did he misspeak? Is he talking about just small items (as opposed to, say, critters) so you can cram 20-24 in? Or can the final build support more than we've seen?

Woah! I didn't think there would be that many (I was assuming around five or six without destroying anything)

Cool news!

SirPenguin said:

I'd assume that items with not a lot of properties you can fit more on screen at a time than animals and complicated words with actions and behaviors.

Eyemus Lutt said:
I'd assume that items with not a lot of properties you can fit more on screen at a time than animals and complicated words with actions and behaviors.

You'd think, but in one of the recent screenshots we see Maxwell with a magazine (a pretty simple item I'm sure) and it takes up about 1/8 - 1/12 of the bar. We've also seen simple tools, such as shivs and such, also take up the same 1/8 - 1/12 of the bar.

So even if you can spawn, say, 12 shivs, that's just a little over half of the "20 items" amount.

Blizzard

Banned
Since Jackson has only answered 6-7 of my questions so far, I think our next
polite question
demand should be the following two:

1. You can have around say 20-24 items at the same time in a level in addition to what is already there. Does this refer to only really simple items?

2. Blizzard, snowstorm, tornado, thunderstorm, tsunami, and others are probably in the game (though we've only seen one or two). How can you possibly defend yourself for not including avalanche? What was your line of reasoning?!?!

I kind of expected there to be words left out so it doesn't bother me that much (and I'm being silly), but I am curious if there was an actual reason that a word like that doesn't work (i.e. not an "object", and "blizzard" was just an exception to the rule).

Apoc29

Blizzard said:
2. Blizzard, snowstorm, tornado, thunderstorm, tsunami, and others are probably in the game (though we've only seen one or two). How can you possibly defend yourself for not including avalanche? What was your line of reasoning?!?!

I can't speak for Jackson, but I would assume avalanche depends on there being a mountain of some sort in order to make sense, whereas for storms, they don't really depend on anything, they can just appear. Now, you could argue that "avalanche" should spawn a mountain with snow, but wouldn't that break some size restrictions? It wouldn't be much of an avalanche if were a 10-foot hill. I know not everything in the game is to scale, but it is one of the more abstract "objects" out there; it's more of an "event".

I don't know how tsunami would work, though. It depends on there being a body of water, or maybe a huge wave just crashes into you from one side of the screen?

Blizzard

Banned
Apoc29 said:
I don't know how tsunami would work, though. It depends on there being a body of water, or maybe a huge wave just crashes into you from one side of the screen?
It's true that it's more of an event, so that was kind of why I was curious if blizzard/thunderstorm/rockslide work.

If I recall correctly, someone claimed they used a tsunami to push the whale back into the ocean on the beach level, so it probably just comes from one side.

tabsina

Blizzard said:
It's true that it's more of an event, so that was kind of why I was curious if blizzard/thunderstorm/rockslide work.

If I recall correctly, someone claimed they used a tsunami to push the whale back into the ocean on the beach level, so it probably just comes from one side.

would be awfully inconvenient if it came from the wrong side in that whale one :p

EzLink

Banned
Man, I can't remember the last time I've been this excited for a video game. Between this and SoulSilver, I may never need to play another system again.

I just got back from vacation and saw that the release date was announced... did I miss anything else on this game? Was a preorder bonus announced or anything like that?

ACE 1991

EzLink said:
Man, I can't remember the last time I've been this excited for a video game. Between this and SoulSilver, I may never need to play another system again.

I just got back from vacation and saw that the release date was announced... did I miss anything else on this game? Was a preorder bonus announced or anything like that?

Nope. Other than even more hype, you didn't miss anything. Unless of course you haven't seen the previews put up by both IGN and Gamespot.

EzLink said:

Until they can make one for a system. I would love a HD version for 360 or even maybe trying this out in 3D. I'd love to see what they could do maybe add in some online multiplayer or co-op of some sort.

EzLink

Banned
HenryGale said:
Until they can make one for a system. I would love a HD version for 360 or even maybe trying this out in 3D. I'd love to see what they could do maybe add in some online multiplayer or co-op of some sort.

True. It seems probable that something like that will happen down the line. 5th Cell is going to make a gazillion dollars off of this thing. I'd just love it on the 360 or whatever because it would leave open the option of future download packs, and hopefully eventually some licesnsed stuff once companies see how successful the franchise is.

Blizzard

Banned
EzLink said:
Maybe 3 pages back, there were some new pictures and videos on a French site, and I'd say they're worth watching. One of them shows off the music and actual gameplay of a "normal" person trying a level. It's all in the French-language version, but it's pretty obvious how it works (and they even tried a French word for a fish net, I think, but it wasn't in the game, so they used something else...maybe they needed to use the French word "filet"?).

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I showed my girlfriend this thread and basically she went straight out yesterday and bought a DSi and pre-ordered this game. She now has a DSi without any games until Scribblenauts UK release.

ACE 1991

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I wonder if something like "word packs" would ever be sold at retail? Almost like expansions I guess, adding specific categories and new levels. I'd love to see an "adult" word pack personally. hehehe...

GDGF

Soothsayer
ACE 1991 said:
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but I wonder if something like "word packs" would ever be sold at retail? Almost like expansions I guess, adding specific categories and new levels. I'd love to see an "adult" word pack personally. hehehe...

I'm pretty certain there wouldn't. The audience for any words that aren't in the dictionary and other reference material they're using would be so so tiny that it wouldn't be worth it at all. And you'll never see any official adult pack for this game.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
ACE 1991 said:

I doubt they would do an "adult" pack but i could see them putting copyright words into the game this way. If this takes off like it should i could imagine a "Pokemon" word pack or a "Nintendo" word pack.

I think the packs would be aimed at kids and would probably tie into movie releases as well.

Prothero

Neo Member
From Edge Online's twitter page, 31 minutes ago:

It's the close of play - thanks for all your entries in the Scribblenauts competition. The winners will be tweeted at 2pm BST Friday.

The contest page says that they're accepting entries until 2 PM BST Friday...are they still accepting them? This sounds like they're not accepting them any more.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I guess there's always the chance that we'll get a Warner Bros. version of Scribblenauts down the road (Bugs Bunny, Sylvester etc). I wouldn't be surprised if that option was on the table.

A friend of mine (@Scribblenaut) is Dutch and was able to translate this rather lengthy interview over at this website

Not all of it was new, but he told me everything that was. These are his findings:

-There is no "draw your own character" unlockable avatar. It crossed their mind, but Drawn to Life has two publishers now and could have problems associated with it.

-Scribblenauts was originally based on the idea of writing your own story.

-Hitler isn't it. Lincoln is (holy fuck!). Napoleon the person isn't in, but the sandwich is

-Just because they CAN use WB licensed characters (i.e., Batman) doesn't mean they SHOULD (or will)

-A fridge can store items, and upon taking them out they're cold. Neat touch!

-Ollars are used to unlock new levels. Using "cheap" solutions for levels will earn you less ollars and probably prevent you from advancing.

Kletian

SirPenguin said:
-Ollars are used to unlock new levels. Using "cheap" solutions for levels will earn you less ollars and probably prevent you from advancing.

Hmm I wonder what they classify as cheap?

The easy solution: use a ladder to get the starite 1 Ollar, use two pandas riding a unicyle 200 Ollars

or

The 'cheating' solution: nuke the tree from orbit

Blizzard

Banned
Apoc29 said:
I don't get it. Is the game rewarding you for using less objects (efficiency) or more (variety/ingenuity)?
I think in the French video it might have shown some of the awards after finishing a level for such things as "unusual" objects (i.e. pterodactyl (sp?)).

I formally suggest adding this to my list of
questions
demands to be answered! The list now totals three! :D

RaoulDukeHST

Neo Member
Jackson - I actually joined NeoGaf for the sole purpose of requesting that Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton be included in this game :D

Please??

KScorp

Summoning ladder to get Starite: 1 ollar.
Summoning beaver to down tree and get Starite: 10 ollars.
Summoning a unicycle, putting two pandas onto the unicycle, and riding the pandas while wearing a top hat with a plank glued onto it to get the Starite: 1000 ollars.
Summoning a time machine, traveling through time, jumping on a dinosaur, and using it to kill motherfucking robot zombies: priceless.

There are some things ollars can't buy. For everything else, there is Scribblenauts.

Apoc29 said:
I don't get it. Is the game rewarding you for using less objects (efficiency) or more (variety/ingenuity)?

Neither and both at the same time I'd say :lol

No, but seriously, I think the game is simply rewarding you for using your imagination. A ladder for the tree level will earn you some good coin because you did it under par, whereas the whole 2-pandas-tophat-unicycle-plank solution is over par but very unique and you'll earn a good amount of ollars for that as well. I'm sure it'll reward both the creative types AND efficient types.

However, if you spawn, say, an "axe" for that level then the next then the next then the next you'll earn less ollars, even if you manage to solve it.

KScorp

I'm almost positive that it will simply give out ollars on a number of items used basis. The less items used, the better.

In the beginning, such a method may appear boring (as there are many ways to use just 1 item to cut down the tree) but if you get to 10-6, I'd congratulate anyone who's able to solve it under par, especially if they only use 2 items. Basically, the game rewards you for not using several items which you probably use all the time by simply combining them in different fashions; it wants you to find one item which will work so effectively in a level that it's unnecessary to combine many (no matter how genius or comical those combination might be).

That, and the fact that rating someones imagination is near impossible. Basing ollars on least items used seems most effective, easy, and consistent way to grade solutions.

Prothero said:
The contest page says that they're accepting entries until 2 PM BST Friday...are they still accepting them? This sounds like they're not accepting them any more.
They're drinking and trying them tonight, and then announcing the winners at that time, entries are closed.

jepense

They have all kinds of "merits" for stuff like using new objects, not using weapons, using animals etc. so probably ollars are also handed out based on achieving those.

KScorp said:
I'm almost positive that it will simply give out ollars on a number of items used basis. The less items used, the better.

Nah, that's only part of it. If you look at the ratings at the end of the level you'll see par is only one scoring part. They also have "Style" to grade your imagination and the time it took you to beat it.

GeeDuhb

This game looks so amazing! I can't wait to get it! I am getting more and more excited just watching the videos you guys are posting.

KScorp

ombz said:
Did the starite disappear in a puff because it died or was it because Maxwell got it.

It died. The Starite doesn't diappear when you get it, instead it goes into a Mario-like "STAR GET" animation.

MNC said:
OH MY GOD, DUTCH LANGUAGE IS IN

But what if I prefer the english? :(

I think Jackson said that many languages are on a single cartridge. English is probably on that cart as well.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
MNC said:
OH MY GOD, DUTCH LANGUAGE IS IN

But what if I prefer the english? :(

It died. At the end it asked "Try again?"
Holy crap so I can write in Dutch?! Purchase reconfirmed!!

We got video confirmation of Feep! He spawns...a ROBOT ZOMBIE. But you can defeat him with a ray gun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlZ0dQ2ATxU

Bwahahahaha

Other stuff:

-GAF logo spawns gamer OR you can ride it. wtf?
-Can't eat things
-Put a dino egg in an oven, made a fucking dino egg omlette and a caveman ate it. holy fuck
-Scribblenauts highlights everything he hates about life because life isn't like Scribblenauts in that you can't just spawn items

incredible video

Half an hour is no where long enough to get all the ins and outs of this game.

We had a little play and tried out some of the stuff that people asked about. Tried to get Maxwell to eat spinach but the damn lady bird got it first. The bear didn't drive the car, but if a Panda can ride a unicycle then maybe I missed something there.

Feep is in the game now, he is some kind of weird Zombie robot creature with a bit of dribble. Neogaf can be used or ridden, using it spawns a gamer.

http://buttonmasher.co.nz/blog/2009/07/17/scribblenauts-preview/

We did a little video of it as well, it's just so deep that I don't think a video/preview can do it justice. Maybe we should just leave it with what Feep wrote.

Top Bottom