• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves announcement 3-20-18

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Can't fucking wait. I've had an absolute blast in the Alpha tests.

Also for those in the US interested in getting it super cheap, for some reason Amazon.ca and Bestbuy.ca have it listed at $39.99

EBE

Same, almost feels like Fable Legends the way everything is drip fed and sort of hypeless. I really hope I'm wrong...
Definitely. I think the marketing and general exposure of the game to audiences has done it no favors. Sure, they've been active in their alphas and everything but for folks outside those we've not yet heard a peep about systems, quests, storylines, etc. A release date at this stage means nothing. As far as I'm concerned there still isn't a game to the game, you know?

How is this possible? If the game is anything like the alpha/beta, it will get destroyed by critics and users. I was playing the alpha and thought the game was still in super early access and probably would have a year left at least. Its not bad. Its just lacking content. I really hope its the type of game which receives updates often

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
How is this possible? If the game is anything like the alpha/beta, it will get destroyed by critics and users. I was playing the alpha and thought the game was still in super early access and probably would have a year left at least. Its not bad. Its just lacking content. I really hope its the type of game which receives updates often

Are you seriously complaining about content in an Alpha build?

Will it have a robust single player component or is this the typical multiplayer MMO-lite, microtransaction-fest?

It requires an Xbox Live subscription to play, sadly. Even though you can play it solo, it's still a typical MMO-lite, as you described.

As soon as I saw the XBLG requirement on the trailer, my interest sank faster than the Titanic. I'm hoping that Rare do a single player game set in the universe at some stage however.

Are you seriously complaining about content in an Alpha build?

Even if you don't consider the alpha, what have they announced to get you excited for something coming out in 3 months. the Be More Pirate trailer which came out 3 weeks ago literally showed no new features different than the alphas. I also just watched the release date trailer and it showed nothing new (except for maybe the chickens). That is why I am not excited. It looks fun but after about 3-4 hours, you start to realize that there isn't that much to this game. Unless of course they have been hiding lots of content but then why aren't they showing any of it because right now I am not excited at all. This is just my opinion after playing the alpha and seeing the trailers. I hope it ends up being a much better game for everyone's sake.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
There has been comparisons to this game and no mans sky by some people.

But this game will not fail like no mans sky did, because:

*The game is built around interacting and doing tasks with other players, NMS did not have this

*I have faith in rare creating a world that is fun to explore a la zelda BOTW.

*Saling boats is fun especially on the gorgeous water.

*There will be story in the hunts and quests.

MilkyJoe

Looks good, but unless you've got 3 or 4 mates and a lot of spare time I don't see any value in it. The obsession with multiplayer games is very concerning.

munroe

Hmm I've playing some of the alpha sessions and what is currently there is fun to play but it feels it still is not really fully fleshed out, march 20th doesn't feel very far away for a game that still doesn't feel complete

Sosokrates

Looks good, but unless you've got 3 or 4 mates and a lot of spare time I don't see any value in it. The obsession with multiplayer games is very concerning.

Obcession?
Well thats one way to spin it.

This game will live and die on its content.If rare and Microsoft expect endless hours of fun with boat races and treasure hunts they are going yo be in for a shock.

In these open world mini mmo's there needs to be many motivators for players take GTA online for example it give players lots of crack for the pipe.

GTA online has the accumulation of wealth, and things to buy with that wealth and the hiests are fun in themselves and another way to get wealth.

From what I've seen of sea of thieves theres treasure hunting which involve using a map,riddles,clues and a compass to find it, it looks pretty fun.however if thats the only quests I will be bored after about 5 of them.
There needs to be quests with supernatural elements like ghost pirates, mermaids, mythical beasts and maybe cool easter eggs like a mini bemuda triangle where your sailing with your ship and the compass starts spinning like crazy and theres loads of fog and your lost. Stuff like that needs to be in there for variarty otherwise it will just get boring.

7he Talon

This has to be one of the most drawn out releases of a game ever. It's like Minecraft all over again.

It looks fun though!

Obcession?
Well thats one way to spin it.

This game will live and die on its content.If rare and Microsoft expect endless hours of fun with boat races and treasure hunts they are going yo be in for a shock.

In these open world mini mmo's there needs to be many motivators for players take GTA online for example it give players lots of crack for the pipe.

GTA online has the accumulation of wealth, and things to buy with that wealth and the hiests are fun in themselves and another way to get wealth.

From what I've seen of sea of thieves theres treasure hunting which involve using a map,riddles,clues and a compass to find it, it looks pretty fun.however if thats the only quests I will be bored after about 5 of them.
There needs to be quests with supernatural elements like ghost pirates, mermaids, mythical beasts and maybe cool easter eggs like a mini bemuda triangle where your sailing with your ship and the compass starts spinning like crazy and theres loads of fog and your lost. Stuff like that needs to be in there for variarty otherwise it will just get boring.

If there was some kind of persistence in the game world (like pirate base/fort building, RPG elements & a ship upgrade tree) then I could see it being a big success. From everything I've seen in the early gameplay footage of it though, it still seems really light on content to me and devoid of those "long term hooks" to keep players coming back.

Sosokrates

If there was some kind of persistence in the game world (like pirate base/fort building, RPG elements & a ship upgrade tree) then I could see it being a big success. From everything I've seen in the early gameplay footage of it though, it still seems really light on content to me and devoid of those "long term hooks" to keep players coming back.

Indeed.

Fort building is good if it means you can spend treasure on building up your fort, but the most important thing is that quests need to be varried and.

If its just

*finding treasure with maps
*Finding treasure in shipwrecks
* Stealing treasure
*Navel battles
*Sailing a ship and the duties that entails
*Getting drunk

Those things are great, but after 5hrs of doing that and people are like "ok so what do we do now"
It would be like skyrim online but without the quests.So If SOT just has those things its an unfinished game, that will not maintain a playerbase.

I used to play Minecraft quite a bit and the thing I did the most was the snowball deathmatch lol, because that was the most gaming thing to do in the whole game.

It requires an Xbox Live subscription to play, sadly. Even though you can play it solo, it's still a typical MMO-lite, as you described.

As soon as I saw the XBLG requirement on the trailer, my interest sank faster than the Titanic. I'm hoping that Rare do a single player game set in the universe at some stage however.

Ill reserve judgement...but as good as the water physics may be, it doesnt look like a game for me without some kind of narrative pull and world persistence. If it has this and some mild RPG elements, Id be all over it. But a shallow MMO doesnt appeal to me.

BionicRoo

Oh my god, have you seen the controller? Glow in the dark skull!: https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/2017/12/08/xbox-announces-sea-thieves-release-date/

seaofthievesthumb-1435260250647_1280w.jpg

Played the alpha a few times, didn't like it to be honest. Have to say though the water effects were gorgeous, Rare did a great job with that.

Fun game, played it at E3 along with the Alpha from home. As some people have already mentioned...it's great but after a day or 2 and with certain people, you start to lose interest.

I'm not as excited for the game as I was before.

The game looks like absolute fun, and I don't get where all the negativity is coming from. Plus, wasn't the Alpha set up to only focus on Multiplayer aspects to get the netcode locked down for day one? It's not realistic to think that they'd give up single player content in an Alpha or Beta--I mean, most of the playable Alphas and Betas that are public are multiplayer only.

Maybe the consternation about this title is because it's a great looking exclusive with a lot of great press that isn't on the PlayStation? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The game looks like absolute fun, and I don't get where all the negativity is coming from. Plus, wasn't the Alpha set up to only focus on Multiplayer aspects to get the netcode locked down for day one? It's not realistic to think that they'd give up single player content in an Alpha or Beta--I mean, most of the playable Alphas and Betas that are public are multiplayer only.

Maybe the consternation about this title is because it's a great looking exclusive with a lot of great press that isn't on the PlayStation? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

I just didn't enjoy the Alpha that much, why does everyone on here have to seek some petty console war fanboy shit if they are not that enthused about something? "They don't like this, they must be hardant fans of other systems"

Only played the Alpha, it's all I can comment on, if the full game is great, I'll buy it, it's in my interest to play good games.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
There has been comparisons to this game and no mans sky by some people.

But this game will not fail like no mans sky did, because:

*The game is built around interacting and doing tasks with other players, NMS did not have this

*I have faith in rare creating a world that is fun to explore a la zelda BOTW.

*Saling boats is fun especially on the gorgeous water.

*There will be story in the hunts and quests.

I think it will be more successful than NMS in terms of gameplay but actually sell a lot less than NMS. Sea of Thieves is a disaster in the making. The game should be free to play with microtransaction customization. Instead it is generic (there is exactly one type of island graphics), full price and without what Rare does best, singleplayer content. Yes, there's humour in it, but it's the kind that is funny the first time you see it (like eating a banana) and otherwise just boring. Ship battles were great when you had unlimited cannonballs. Now it's micromanagement hell and you can even run out of them. Player combat was shitty on day 1 and still is shitty on day 348. Except maybe the cutlass, because that has actual hit feedback. What SoT offers should be the multiplayer mode of a full price singleplayer Pirate game.

SRTtoZ

I also hate how they've been marketing it from the beginning with long play sessions with random Youtubers. Show me what makes the game so exciting in a short clip, not these long videos with annoying Youtubers where I have to comb through the video to find the good shit.

Rockondevil

I've really enjoyed the Alpha although it is, as others have pointed out, lacking content.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and assume there is more they haven't shown because it wouldn't make sense if they didn't have more and are launching in 3 or so months.

Hopefully some great quests come other than the basic treasure hunting ones. I imagine they'd have ship customisation for something to spend your wealth on.

Recommend if you haven't played it to wait and see some more trailers closer to release and worse case wait a few days after launch to see if they've added more or not.

Trup1aya

I've really enjoyed the Alpha although it is, as others have pointed out, lacking content.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now and assume there is more they haven't shown because it wouldn't make sense if they didn't have more and are launching in 3 or so months.

Hopefully some great quests come other than the basic treasure hunting ones. I imagine they'd have ship customisation for something to spend your wealth on.

Recommend if you haven't played it to wait and see some more trailers closer to release and worse case wait a few days after launch to see if they've added more or not.

Looks like there’s a lot more to the quest and progression system. I’m expecting a major blowout closer to release.

http://crewofthieves.com/sot/general-sot/trading-companies-progression/

Havoc2049

I forgot this is a Play Anywhere AND Cross-Play Xbox One and Windows 10 title.

Now all the PS4 fanboys who all of a sudden have a high end gaming PC can play with us lowly XB1 owners. ;-p

Sosokrates

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-16-what-you-actually-do-in-sea-of-thieves

After reading this, my worries are eased and my hype levels are high.

There will be goals, that are short term and ones that last over multiple play sessions.Also Im getting some Zelda: BOTW vibes, and I look forward to sailing the seas on my little ship and exploring and sailing with others

I think this game will be a success, the Minecraft crowd will love it.

hiphopcr

This has to be one of the most drawn out releases of a game ever. It's like Minecraft all over again.
It was announced at E3 2015.

3 years is normal.

If you want drawn out you can take a peak at the other side (I'm looking at you Death Stranding, Detroit Become Human, Last Guardian, etc...)

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I love how people move the goal posts. Xbox has no games! Xbox shows games to early! Xbox is actually releasing a game but not enough!

It gets old...

Chief_Mitch

I was in the alpha and tried to play it once... I got matchmade in with a bunch of blokes speaking German, didn't know what i was doing and gave up. hahaha. :p

I would like to try it again with mates in future though.

WaterAstro

I'm still waiting to see if there is anything more content than their staged youtuber videos.

They better deliver the Star Citizen of pirates because that's what people are expecting at this point.

highrider

Banned
I love Rare games, but nothing is grabbing me about this. I think it’s more the theme and art direction, which I don’t think is great for pirates. Still, I’ll keep an open mind, but I’d really like another Kameo pleez.

The idea is cool but unless you know 3 other people that would get the game the MP aspect would fall flat. This has the feel of a party game than anything else.

Top Bottom