• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves over 1 million unique players under 48h and a developer launch update video.

MilkyJoe

You mean there ONE review of 9. lol

People will form their own opinions reading reviews and watching playthrough. Are you seriously suggesting that no one should take Amazon product reviews seriously before buying something, or that people should ignore Yelp and other restaurant reviews to only find out the restaurant is garbage? Reviews matter, and not just the reviews of journalists, but of youtubers and streamers. I personally rely on streamers because their entire playthrough experience is available unlike some edited youtube video or a bunch of words from a journalist.

If you spend your life "thinking for yourself" when it comes to buying products, you'll either be poor or frustrated from having to use the return policy all the time.

$10 is still $10. It makes the pill easier to swallow, but it still leaves a hole in the pocket.

When you have a split review then it's time to think for yourself. There's a very big difference between a video game review and a review for an electric foot pump.

PS on MC that's 14 "good reviews" vs 2 "bad reviews". the rest are fall under "mixed"

Last edited:

WaterAstro

When you have a split review then it's time to think for yourself. There's a very big difference between a video game review and a review for an electric foot pump.

PS on MC that's 14 "good reviews" vs 2 "bad reviews". the rest are fall under "mixed"
Alright, if you mean "think for yourself" as in not buying the game yet, sure, I'm all for that. Think for yourself, watch the actual gameplay, take information from various review, then judge whether to buy the game or not. If you mean "think for yourself" by trying out the game, then what's the point? You bought the game, and it's too late to prevent yourself from getting ripped off.

I don't know what's PS, but SoT is certainly not mixed reviews. It's majority mediocre reviews averaging slightly below 7/10.

MilkyJoe

Alright, if you mean "think for yourself" as in not buying the game yet, sure, I'm all for that. Think for yourself, watch the actual gameplay, take information from various review, then judge whether to buy the game or not. If you mean "think for yourself" by trying out the game, then what's the point? You bought the game, and it's too late to prevent yourself from getting ripped off.

I don't know what's PS, but SoT is certainly not mixed reviews. It's majority mediocre reviews averaging slightly below 7/10.

7/10 is not bad in anyone's book. I didn't get ripped off I'm having a ball.

MilkyJoe

And you know how everyone thinks, how? Check out Angry Joe's review for an example of someone feeling ripped off with Sea of Thieves.

And as I don't speak for everyone, neither does Joe.

Question. For someone that doesn't like SoT, why do you spend so much time in SoT threads?

$10 is still $10. It makes the pill easier to swallow, but it still leaves a hole in the pocket.

A two week free trial of Game Pass is not $10. Even if you have already used your free trial and have to pay $10, that is a full month of playing it (along with the other games). What other major release on console has allowed you to play the whole game for a month for $10?

MilkyJoe

A two week free trial of Game Pass is not $10. Even if you have already used your free trial and have to pay $10, that is a full month of playing it (along with the other games). What other major release on console has allowed you to play the whole game for a month for $10?

Or 2 weekks for free.

I'm pretty sure he would need to buy an xbox too.

None of those are first-party - MS exclusives, yes, but not from first-party studios.

Sunset, Ryse, QB, Recore, Cuphead and Ori all MS published games and all of them, except Sunset, Cuphead and Ryse are also owned by MS .

It doesn't matter whether game is developed by internal or external studios. It doesn't matter whether they own IP or not, the fact is these all are MS published new IPs and Sea of thieves outsold all of them which is not surprising tbh as SoT marketing budget is way bigger than above games.

I don't know why people doubting success of SoT. It doesn't matter if game is good or not, it doesn't matter if reviews are good or not, the fact is there are over 2m out there who enjoying the game and look forward to playing it for months.

So stop this argument and accept the fact game is not flop in sales. Pretty sure it will and already has recovered all the cost.

Bro, no offence but if you can't even afford 10$ / month then I don't think this hobby is for you. I'm pretty sure most end up spending 10$ in a day and don't even realise it.

Last edited:

nowhat

So stop this argument and accept the fact game is not flop in sales. Pretty sure it will and already has recovered all the cost.
Uhh, where I was arguing it was a flop? Please do provide a reference. I was just being pedantic - by definition Sunset Overdrive, Recore and QB are not first-party. Is the upcoming Spider-Man first-party for Sony? Of course not, Insomniac remains an independent entity.

Uhh, where I was arguing it was a flop? Please do provide a reference. I was just being pedantic - by definition Sunset Overdrive, Recore and QB are not first-party. Is the upcoming Spider-Man first-party for Sony? Of course not, Insomniac remains an independent entity.

Doesn't matter If Insomniac is making it. Fact is Spiderman video game rights are with Sony and they're publishing it and it's permanent exclusive to PS4.

MS first party studios only release 2 or 3 that is Gears, Forza, Halo and now SoT . They don't have many first party studios. They rely on 2nd and 3rd party exclusives most of the time. They publish and fund games developed my 2nd and 3rd party most of the time

-MD-

As far as lack of content is concerned then I think some people are assuming there's no end game content when clearly there's after you become Legendary pirate and unlock legendary voyages which are different in design compared to Faction quests.

Somebody hit pirate legend and surprise surprise the voyages are the same old quests extended.

WaterAstro

Bro, no offence but if you can't even afford 10$ / month then I don't think this hobby is for you. I'm pretty sure most end up spending 10$ in a day and don't even realise it.
That's not even an argument against whether to buy the game or not. The game could be free to play, and people should still look at reviews and feedback before spending time on it. I could just say the same thing: "Bro, no offence, but if you can't even afford $60 /month, then I don't think this hobby is for you". "Bro, if you can't even afford $399". It's relative to each person about how affordable a product is, and it can be quite insulting when you talk like that to someone who can't afford $10.

That's not even an argument against whether to buy the game or not. The game could be free to play, and people should still look at reviews and feedback before spending time on it. I could just say the same thing: "Bro, no offence, but if you can't even afford $60 /month, then I don't think this hobby is for you". "Bro, if you can't even afford $399". It's relative to each person about how affordable a product is, and it can be quite insulting when you talk like that to someone who can't afford $10.
What's your deal? You are obsessed with SoT and attempting to knock down everyone's opinion on why they like. We all get it. You don't like the game. It was understood a million negative posts ago.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
And you know how everyone thinks, how? Check out Angry Joe's review for an example of someone feeling ripped off with Sea of Thieves.
Since when has Joe become a well respected reviewer again? I’m sorry, but I don’t let his ridiculous videos change my opinion on awesome games like Sea of Thieves.

WaterAstro

What's your deal? You are obsessed with SoT and attempting to knock down everyone's opinion on why they like. We all get it. You don't like the game. It was understood a million negative posts ago.
My comment you quoted does not only apply to SoT. I think you're too concerned with my criticisms that you completely glanced over that fact.
Since when has Joe become a well respected reviewer again? I’m sorry, but I don’t let his ridiculous videos change my opinion on awesome games like Sea of Thieves.
Well respected or not, every reviewer brings info to the table. You can choose to ignore it, but his sentiment is shared by many, many players.

My comment you quoted does not only apply to SoT. I think you're too concerned with my criticisms that you completely glanced over that fact.

Well respected or not, every reviewer brings info to the table. You can choose to ignore it, but his sentiment is shared by many, many players.
After reading through the SoT threads, I've seen dozens of posts. Picked the last one you made. Point still stands and so does the question. What is your deal? Seems extremely deliberate and suspect of motive.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
WaterAstro WaterAstro Could you do me a favor and explain why you're so prolific in this particular thread? It's definitely not to bring balance to level out people's expectations. You have the most posts out of anyone and as far as I can tell you absolutely despise the game. And as far as I can tell, you haven't touched it.

Lort

Banned
This forum is a metagame of console fanboy wars. That is all .. useful discussion is always buried under as many negative posts as possible. Dont ever come here for useful discussion or information. There is simply no limit or rule against the continued tactic of posting “but i dont like it so your wrong”. I came to this thread to read about if i should buy the game or the gamepass to paly it after enjoying the beta, i was sourly disappointed in the realisiation of my fear that it would be exactly like this .. fans of the game being trolled by people who dont even play it.

This forum may sometimes be fun but its never enlightening or useful anymore.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It outsold the likes of Recore, Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break? Whoa, seriously impressive.
I think out of all these new IP's, QB did the best, yet MS never quantified QB's figures, and the developer has since moved on.......Remedy's next title will be multiplat. Moreover, if we put all the data we have on QB it sold just over 200k, but MS has given similar PR to it's best new IP's before, in the case of their last best IP, this was said...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/quantum-break-sold-really-well-beat-microsofts-exp/1100-6443009/

but then the conclusion was this..

"We were really pleased with how Quantum Break did. But just like every movie, not every game needs a sequel, sometimes it's okay."

So I think Rare may be in a bit of trouble. Having 1 million unique players in 48 hours is not bad, but if most of those persons are from season pass subscriptions and yet they're having issues getting games on top of the lack of content, next week may not look too good for SOT. Watching the video in the OP, these devs having gone through several betas and yet still unprepared for server load..... It's strange, because this was one of MS's most marketed and hyped games....I even read a tweet, where some journalist predicted this would be as big as PUBG.

Last edited:

That I understand but I say it again that 10$/ month is nothing compared to value you getting from game pass. You don't get just SoT but 100 other games.

Gaming is expensive hobby, if person is struggling to even afford 10$ / month then he should have different priorities in life imo.

Also you don't have to spend 10$ if you are really interested, then you can easily activate the trial and try it yourself for free. You can cancel pass even after paying 10$. There are options but you for some reason ignoring them and trying to push some personal agenda here by knocking this game down. You can clearly see some members are irritated here and they're not liking the way you knocking the game. How about show some respect to fellow members and leave thread?

Last edited:

-MD-

et MS never quantified QB's figures, and the developer has since moved on.......Remedy's next title will be multiplat. Moreover, if we put all the data we have on QB it sold just over 200k, but MS has given similar PR to it's best new IP's before, in the case of their last best IP, this was said...

Yeah I was being sarcastic, they're bragging about this being their #1 new IP seller, the problem with that is none of their new IP sold well so the bar was already low.

WaterAstro

I'm just not going to reply to those who rather talk about users than the game. If you have nothing to say about the game, just don't post.
That I understand but I say it again that 10$/ month is nothing compared to value you getting from game pass. You don't get just SoT but 100 other games.

Gaming is expensive hobby, if person is struggling to even afford 10$ / month then he should have different priorities in life imo.

Also you don't have to spend 10$ if you are really interested, then you can easily activate the trial and try it yourself for free. You can cancel pass even after paying 10$. There are options but you for some reason ignoring them and trying to push some personal agenda here by knocking this game down. You can clearly see some members are irritated here and they're not liking the way you knocking the game. How about show some respect to fellow members and leave thread?
It's still $10. It could be $10 towards buying Far Cry 5, or any game a person knows they are guaranteed to like.

The people dead set on buying SoT don't need reviews or feedback. Reviews exists for people on the fence, and the amount of money they can save is irrelevant to whether they want to play something. Telling someone that they aren't informed about the game without playing it is simply not true. Information is available in many forms than just directly playing it. You can say that you have had a fun PVP encounter that your team clutched a close victory, but it doesn't make up the facts that a lot of reviewers are pointing out as problems in the game.

I'm just not going to reply to those who rather talk about users than the game. If you have nothing to say about the game, just don't post.

It's still $10. It could be $10 towards buying Far Cry 5, or any game a person knows they are guaranteed to like.

The people dead set on buying SoT don't need reviews or feedback. Reviews exists for people on the fence, and the amount of money they can save is irrelevant to whether they want to play something. Telling someone that they aren't informed about the game without playing it is simply not true. Information is available in many forms than just directly playing it. You can say that you have had a fun PVP encounter that your team clutched a close victory, but it doesn't make up the facts that a lot of reviewers are pointing out as problems in the game.

You can try the game for free with the 14 day trial. That's what I did with Gears of War 4 and you don't need an Xbox to play either. Now about your repeated efforts on informing others with reviews, where is your review? To inform others you should play it, otherwise the information you are giving is already out there, we don't need you flooding topic after topic. You have posted here almost 20 times, that's just this one thread on the game. How many more times do you need to be heard, that's why people are talking about you.

You haven't even played the game? It does matter, especially when you are insisting on trying to dominate all discussions. What's your deal with the anti-SoT campaign you're on? Are you personally invested in the competition because it's coming off as you are.

WaterAstro

You can try the game for free with the 14 day trial. That's what I did with Gears of War 4 and you don't need an Xbox to play either.
There is still a "cost" association as the trial requires a credit card. You could start your 14 day trial for Sea of Thieves, or you can do it for a future title. The player should still be getting the information in order to make the choice on whether to play SoT or not because they only get one trial per credit card. The "cost" is the fact that the player will be using up their free trial, not real money. If they use it now, they can't use it later, so they should be sure they are getting their trials worth, they should still look up reviews and feedback.

hiphopcr

Or 2 weekks for free.

I'm pretty sure he would need to buy an xbox too.
Game Pass trials are plentiful. If not, $10 for a month is great value. And getting it through Game Pass gives you two xbox copies (via home sharing) and one for PC.

Here I thought Microsoft had removed every possible avenue for complaint... but I overestimated humanity.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
There is still a "cost" association as the trial requires a credit card. You could start your 14 day trial for Sea of Thieves, or you can do it for a future title. The player should still be getting the information in order to make the choice on whether to play SoT or not because they only get one trial per credit card. The "cost" is the fact that the player will be using up their free trial, not real money. If they use it now, they can't use it later, so they should be sure they are getting their trials worth, they should still look up reviews and feedback.
Oh please. Even without the trial, the barrier to entry is at a netflix level where people don't even think twice about it. If you're going to sweat about $10 a month, then you probably have larger concerns going on in your life than video games.
The review process is important to be sure, but it's more about the bandwidth now.

Last edited:

Farcry 5 for 10$? Lol

You have already criticized game enough based on reviews but you still not stopping and trying to attack those who are enjoying the game. Why ruin their fun? I hate Destiny 1 and 2 but I will not go and shit on the game 24/7 and irritate those who are liking it. You give your opinion and move on.

demigod

Bro, if you can't afford to pay $60 for this game, you need to get a new hobby.

thelastword

Banned
Game Pass trials are plentiful. If not, $10 for a month is great value. And getting it through Game Pass gives you two xbox copies (via home sharing) and one for PC.

Here I thought Microsoft had removed every possible avenue for complaint... but I overestimated humanity.
You get all those copies on a gamepass sub? well that put things in perspective relative to the OT's title, as you get two unique players just in one home with a sub. I'm thinking the PC version is tied to your main account, so they would not count that as another unique player would they?

Yet, why would anybody buy this for $60 if you have this option. You can basically play for free on a gamepass trial too and play for 14 days and then cancel. Even paying $10.00 for a month when a big MS exclusive is coming will be a strategy for many and they would have a whole month to have their fill. I don't see how MS is going to make revenue on this tbh. Maybe for the next Halo a good chunk of their fanbase will gamepass that and MS will be able to speak of unprecedented unique player numbers, and whilst it may seem like a good marketing ploy, this won't be good for their bottomline.....This also means that MS first parties won't be as competitive on the NPD, which is what most use as a litmust for a game's success. Their gamepass strategy is a huge gamble, especially this late in the generation. This could backfire hard on MS and their investors.

Last edited:
Lol i dont even come into the SoT threads to see if there is new news anymore, sadly. I just come to see the latest attempt by some to continue criticising the game. If rare is smart, and i believe they are, they're already working fast to add more content.

WaterAstro

Farcry 5 for 10$? Lol
See, this is why I have to reply to off-topic comments because you guys keep twisting and attack what I say nonsensically.

I said $10 towards buying Far Cry 5.
You get all those copies on a gamepass sub? well that put things in perspective relative to the OT's title, as you get two unique players just in one home with a sub. I'm thinking the PC version is tied to your main account, so they would not count that as another unique player would they?

Yet, why would anybody buy this for $60 if you have this option. You can basically play for free on a gamepass trial too and play for 14 days and then cancel. Even paying $10.00 for a month when a big MS exclusive is coming will be a strategy for many and they would have a whole month to have their fill. I don't see how MS is going to make revenue on this tbh. Maybe for the next Halo a good chunk of their fanbase will gamepass that and MS will be able to speak of unprecedented unique player numbers, and whilst it may seem like a good marketing ploy, this won't be good for their bottomline.....This also means that MS first parties won't be as competitive on the NPD, which is what most use as a litmust for a game's success. Their gamepass strategy is a huge gamble, especially this late in the generation. This could backfire hard on MS and their investors.
I don't think they're going to put every new, big first party title on Gamepass, at least not right away. They definitely saw Sea of Thieves for what it is and was willing to make some money off of it by putting it on Gamepass right away. If they are going to put every first party title on gamepass right away, then you could be right. They could lose a ton of money on it because it effectively cuts their profits by a lot going from $60 to $10 (though not directly because that $10 could be more many other games).

I think if they had a good strategy, it would be to not release Sea of Thieves as $60 at all, and have it only available on Gamepass, but my guess is that their hands were tied since people probably preordered it years ago.
Lol i dont even come into the SoT threads to see if there is new news anymore, sadly. I just come to see the latest attempt by some to continue criticising the game. If rare is smart, and i believe they are, they're already working fast to add more content.
They already said they won't be adding content until 3 months after. That's not smart imo.

Last edited:
See, this is why I have to reply to off-topic comments because you guys keep twisting and attack what I say nonsensically.

I said $10 towards buying Far Cry 5.

I don't think they're going to put every new, big first party title on Gamepass, at least not right away. They definitely saw Sea of Thieves for what it is and was willing to make some money off of it by putting it on Gamepass right away. If they are going to put every first party title on gamepass right away, then you could be right. They could lose a ton of money on it because it effectively cuts their profits by a lot going from $60 to $10 (though not directly because that $10 could be more many other games).

I think if they had a good strategy, it would be to not release Sea of Thieves as $60 at all, and have it only available on Gamepass, but my guess is that their hands were tied since people probably preordered it years ago.

They already said they won't be adding content until 3 months after. That's not smart imo.

We should just turn to you for advice from now on. You're right, they should just alienate the option to buy a physical game and just have SoT on Game Pass. I'm sure you wouldn't be going to all those threads as well attacking Microsoft for going all digital and warning customers.

So if someone gives you say a $20 PSN gift card do you complain about the "cost" of using it towards a game now because you can't use it on an unforseen game in the future? Because I am trying to figure out your logic in complaining about being able to try a game for free. FREE. There is no legitimate cost involved if you use a free trial.

WaterAstro

So if someone gives you say a $20 PSN gift card do you complain about the "cost" of using it towards a game now because you can't use it on an unforseen game in the future? Because I am trying to figure out your logic in complaining about being able to try a game for free. FREE. There is no legitimate cost involved if you use a free trial.
If there was a PlayStation game like... hmm let's say Driveclub when it launched, then of course people should still do their research and see if Driveclub is worth getting. Driveclub is a great game, but the server issues can't be excused. If they wanted a cool online driving game, they would have gotten ripped off, and that $20 PSN card could have gone towards something else.

What I'm saying is that if they use their trial now on a game that they're on the fence for and end up not liking because they wanted something with a lot more content than what Sea of Thieves offers, then they miss out on the chance of using the free trial on a future title, like the next Halo or Forza or Crackdown. Something they know they are completely onboard for.

Last edited:
If there was a PlayStation game like... hmm let's say Driveclub when it launched, then of course people should still do their research and see if Driveclub is worth getting. Driveclub is a great game, but the server issues can't be excused. If they wanted a cool online driving game, they would have gotten ripped off, and that $20 PSN card could have gone towards something else.

What I'm saying is that if they use their trial now on a game that they're on the fence for and end up not liking because they wanted something with a lot more content than what Sea of Thieves offers, then they miss out on the chance of using the free trial on a future title, like the next Halo or Forza or Crackdown. Something they know they are completely onboard for.

So yeah there's no cost involved. And if they are completely on board with another game, why would they need to try it first.

Why am I even having this conversation? You are simply finding every reason to discourage people from trying this. Even when they can try it for absolutely free, regardless of whatever made up "cost" you try to assign to it.

WaterAstro

So yeah there's no cost involved. And if they are completely on board with another game, why would they need to try it first.
There is a cost involve because you used up something of value regardless if you got it free or not, and they can't try out that other game because that other game isn't out yet.

There is a cost involve because you used up something of value regardless if you got it free or not, and they can't try out that other game because that other game isn't out yet.

This is nonsense. Just admit that you hate the game and have no intention in playing it or discussing it with an open mind. It would certainly be easier than continuing this charade.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Just my 2 cent here I guess. I did the Gamepass route and bought and played Sea of Thieves with 3 other friends for 2 nights in a row. I, personally, could not handle any more after that. I get the feeling just from the way the game was rolled out that this game is a tool to sell gamepass and also artificially increase the chances people will stay,

The game is beautiful, no doubt. It plays well enough. However, I don't agree that there's a severe lack of content. I think it's more accurate to say that the content that is there won't keep most modern gamers hooked.

It's kinda like PS4 fans saying "xbox has no games" when it's more accurate to say "There's a lack of recently released quality xbox console exclusives at this current time"

WaterAstro

Just my 2 cent here I guess. I did the Gamepass route and bought and played Sea of Thieves with 3 other friends for 2 nights in a row. I, personally, could not handle any more after that. I get the feeling just from the way the game was rolled out that this game is a tool to sell gamepass and also artificially increase the chances people will stay,

The game is beautiful, no doubt. It plays well enough. However, I don't agree that there's a severe lack of content. I think it's more accurate to say that the content that is there won't keep most modern gamers hooked.

It's kinda like PS4 fans saying "xbox has no games" when it's more accurate to say "There's a lack of recently released quality xbox console exclusives at this current time"
I guess you mean that there is content, but how tolerant we are of its repetitiveness makes it feel lacking, right?

For example, when WoW launched, we thought that questing was amazing and fun, and that everything felt fresh, but a few expansions later, we start to view it as boring and a grind because we done it so many times.
That's an understandable statement. I just think that Sea of Thieves doesn't do itself any service because it gets to that repetitive stage awfully quick.

Why am I even having this conversation? You are simply finding every reason to discourage people from trying this. Even when they can try it for absolutely free, regardless of whatever made up "cost" you try to assign to it.

Yup, He is really trying hard to convince people not to buy this game lol.

He will not stop till you start ignoring him.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I guess you mean that there is content, but how tolerant we are of its repetitiveness makes it feel lacking, right?

For example, when WoW launched, we thought that questing was amazing and fun, and that everything felt fresh, but a few expansions later, we start to view it as boring and a grind because we done it so many times.
That's an understandable statement. I just think that Sea of Thieves doesn't do itself any service because it gets to that repetitive stage awfully quick.

Absolutely. The content that is there boils down to the same thing. You go to different islands but when you really look at it, what really distinguishes each island. What would make me say, yo....we gotta go to (insert island name)!? Nah nah, we need more supplies for this, no way we are doing this quest without at least 100 cannonballs. No island is unique enough to warrant exploration or any real caution. You go to the island because a clue tells you to. When you get there, you know what to expect. Skeletons, motionless snakes, barrels with supplies, maybe a hidden treasure apart from your quest and a chicken or two. Every once in a while you'll come across a fort with easily thwarted sentry cannon posts. It's either all of this, or less. The pvp makes things a bit more interesting but i feel like in the beginning pirates were as coy as people were in the dark zone of the division in the first few weeks.

VAL0R

Banned
Just got back from a skeley fort raid. We cleared the fort, got the key and ran off for safety. A Kraken attacked us, we fended it off. We returned, opened the treasure house and took everything right down to the last can of Who hash. We returned to the outpost and a sloop came in behind us. We killed him, took his captains chest, wrecked his boat and cashed all of our ~$15,000 treasure in unscathed. Pirates gonna pirate y'all.

Had a blast last night too with another successful skeley fort raid, where we sank a competing ship and killed the crew. I'm loving this game. It is essential to have a good crew and mics.

sea-1517837325502_1280w.jpg

VAL0R

Banned
A key to taking skeley forts quickly is to position your ship's canons close to shore and toward the entry gate. Have a teammate lead the mobs outside to get obliterated by canon shot. Nothing like getting chased by 10 skeleys and then hear your canons awesome "VVOOOOOOSH!" sound effects as the whizz by and explode them all to bits.

Top Bottom