• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves will launch with an optional 540p mode and 15fps lock

wetalo

The article talks about getting it to run at lower hardware, most of us have had that experience of running a game on a PC too low to run it properly. God I remember playing Warcraft 3 on a computer that couldn't remotely handle it, but I still loved the hell out of that game.

leng jai

So Microsoft is about to launch a 4K console and one of their few big exclusives is talking about 540p and 15fps on PC

10/15

Kinyou

I'm guessing most people don't realize that they're talking about the PC version? Only way the reactions in this thread make sense to me

hotcyder

Resolution options are nothing new in PC games.
It wouldnt be news worthy talk about.
This is just a gimmick with a joke about "cinematic fps" to get people to talk about it.

I can't think of any new PC titles I've played that give you anything below 720p as an option these days - same goes for locked frame-rates below 30.

Having support for locked 15 fps for people who need is is great, rather then struggling to maintain 30. Better to have low and consistent then one that fluctuates.

It's interesting. Big title from Microsoft and Rare, one that is pushing for 4K locked 60 for high-end machines - but is showing that it's not just a game about presentation and performance by opening it up to everyone.

Hermii

Optional frame rate caps are neat though. Especially if gameplay was tied to a framerate. Not the case here, I know, but I'm talking in general.

Doesn't capping a framerate also help prevent screen tearing on the PC? As in as long as the framerate doesn't go above the refresh rate of the monitor the screen shouldn't tear? Or am I wrong again here.
Most screens are 60hz, 15 is divisible by 4 so locked 15 should look better than flucktuating 15-20.

mrqs

Smug Gaf, don't be Smug. Not everyone can run games, not everyone have an Xbox One. I think it's awesome!

My best friend can't play Battlegrounds, not even on the lowest settings. It's a shame :(

A desperate attempt to make it into the news?
Uhhh read the story.

During the Microsoft presentation at last week's Gamescom, Rare announced that "no asterisk" crossplay is coming to Sea of Thieves at launch—an all-encompassing feature that'll let PC players face off against their Xbox counterparts.

Despite sounding like a marketing term, the game's PC design lead Ted Timmins tells me "no asterisk" is instead an indicator of inclusiveness across desktops and consoles, no matter the hardware you're playing on.

PCG chased this story on performance. The OP including none of the extra information on the why is a little disingenuous.

At launch Sea of Thieves will have wide FOVs and will support 4K and 60fps, says the game's executive producer Joe Neat, however those playing on less powerful machines will be considered too.

Which is the point of this option.

"We're trying to go as low as possible," explains Neat. "We have an idea of what the minimum specs are but aren't quite ready to reveal them. We've actually been inviting people below our current plan for minimum specs into the technical alpha so we can test a number things on the performance side. This game looks so great regardless of the device you're playing on. Of course it's gonna look great in 4K, 60fps but it also looks great at minimum spec because the art style is purposefully timeless."

It's to build the biggest possible audience. Yet people think this is a desperate call for attention.

Keinning

Smug Gaf, don't be Smug. Not everyone can run games, not everyone have an Xbox One. I think it's awesome!

My best friend can't play Battlegrounds, not even on the lowest settings. It's a shame :(

Nonsense, GAF uses the typical american view for the entire world and everyone, i mean everyone, can build a beast pc with only $500 on their local pc parts store! there are no excuses, people with potatoes are just jaded console gamers

EBreda

I understand fine the option for 540p, but 15fps seems borderline unplayable.

Virtua Racing on the Genesis ran faster. 15fps is more like that shitty SNEs game where you drove a mini truck around a dirt track in a windowed screen.

At first I thought this was like Jazz Jackrabbit's Apologee mode, except instead of ridiculing Apogee it ridiculed fanboys saying that tech specs of video output don't matter. That said, support for lower resolution is good on PC. I would probably prefer 240p/30fps over 540p/15fps, but to each their own.

MilkyJoe

I know you are trolling/shitposting but still I want to point out that Switch right now is a console with the highest ratio of silky smooth 60FPS titles of all current consoles. Digital Foundry calculated that around 70-80% of all Switch games run at 60FPS.

Oh give over

peakish

I don't understand what a 540p mode is, here. Resolutions are typically polled from the OS, right? Does it alter some other settings? Change the HUD scale (which should either way be scaled I would hope)?

Either way, options are good and keeping low spec machines in mind something to be commended.

_Ryo_

Even if it has a lower resolution and framerate the vfx/shaders/ and such still need the same graphics card requirement, the vfx should still be there, just in lower rez so I dont think you can get away with playing the game on an entire POS PC.

EctoPrime

Would have to laugh if a really horrible laptop like one with a Phenom 2 single core with a 4250 could run this game at 540p in 15fps.

jobrro

From the thread title I first thought it was for Xbox.

Makes sense for PC. If people are really want to play and they are willing to play at 540p and/or 15fps then more power to them. Pretty sure I was playing GTA3 on PC at 640x480 at probably 5-15fps until an upgrade a fair while later.

Not sure why they call it 540p mode though, PC titles often support a range of resolutions. Does it render at 540p but output to the display at a higher resolution (guess monitors don't support 540p)?

peppers

I love trying games in their lowest possible res just to see how a ps1 port would look like but 540p/15fps is actually still too high for that. I consider Just Cause 3 with its 200p to be the benchmark and it looks glorious. Doom 2016 looks super nice too in case you're wondering.

Top Bottom