• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves will launch with an optional 540p mode and 15fps lock

I don't understand what a 540p mode is, here. Resolutions are typically polled from the OS, right? Does it alter some other settings? Change the HUD scale (which should either way be scaled I would hope)?

Either way, options are good and keeping low spec machines in mind something to be commended.
Nothing stops the game from rendering to texture of intended resolution and then stretching it. Though I imagine there's a better way.

There's an option for a 15fps lock in FFXIV... when you focus on another window. It's to save resources while you're idling in game.

Actually playing a game in 15fps is another story and one I wouldn't recommend lol

....but why?
good on them...?

They've just provided a ridiculously low min-spec. Implementing these performance floors when designing the rest of the visual options would have taken no time at all.

On the lower end of the budget spectrum, budget laptops, and even stuff like GPD Win viable options. And on the upper-end, 15FPS lock may help those looking to take high-end 8K and beyond screenshots.

Zedox

I can't believe this thread is already 5 pages long. Smh. Good for RARE to get the minimum spec low to get as many people as possible to potentially buy the game.

Guess the resolution option is cool if the lower resolution option otherwise would be higher (e.g. 720p).

Not sure a 15 FPS lock is all that necessary since you can lock the framerate externally on PC. Unless windows store doesn't allow that?

konjak

They're saying they're "happy" to play at 15 fps, so this whole thing is from a standpoint of people not having the specs to run the game any higher. So if they can get the game at a steady 15 fps without the game speed being slower, they can play the game without upgrading. I think the key difference here is few games are made to run at full speed or reliably at 15 fps.

Sounds fine to me. Some people don't want to or can't spend to upgrade.

The more resolutions the better. Locking it at 15 sounds weird to officially support, but I guess these folks haven't been introduced to RTSS.

They are trying to target that Roblox crowd of kids on PC. It is where the Sea of Thieves idea came from. It is a game on Roblox some kid created.

JoeLT

Wow at these responses in this thread. Shame on Rare for giving more options to players with low end PC's, amirite? I know a few people who would really appreciate this, having old laptops that are their only way to game and are always looking for ways to run games at lower settings to play.

quesalupa

wrJ3uuQ.jpg

I'm assuming these "people" are little kids they expect to see the game from their favorite YouTuber and want to play on their parents' crapbox laptop.

EvB

I'm glad they put it there, it means I can easily achieve 4K ULTRA GIGA settings on my PC and post screenshots of it to lord it over the Xbox peasants.

Little will they know it's running at 15fps locked...
tumblr_inline_nt1ql3d3qb1r5c2wv_500.gif

Makes sense to offer stuff like this as an option for people with lower spec computers, it's not like it's the only resolution and framerate available.

CSJ

I can't believe this thread is already 5 pages long. Smh. Good for RARE to get the minimum spec low to get as many people as possible to potentially buy the game.

Before today playing at 15fps was just called not having a good enough PC to play it and brought about whining, rightly so.

Now it's called lowered the minimum specs.

sirap

I played Dark Souls 1 at 10fps on my iGPU. If Rare doesn't include a 10fps lock for this game, I'm canceling my pre-order.

15fps? Screw that PC master race bullshit. Not everyone has money to waste.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
There's an option for a 15fps lock in FFXIV... when you focus on another window. It's to save resources while you're idling in game.

Actually playing a game in 15fps is another story and one I wouldn't recommend lol

This is how I play Kerbal. Don't think it's running quite that low but I drop the res and put it in a window.

Top Bottom