• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Developers, The Wii U story - Digital Foundry Series

Finalizer

No, that's crazy. If they were going to try to compete directly with PS4/XBone for the core market, they needed to do it with their sixth console. Even if it were possible to get such a console out by the end of 2015 or even 2016, they'll be facing such an immense competitive disadvantage that it'd be financial suicide.

I don't think he meant it needed to be designed to compete with Sony/MS offerings, just that it definitely needs to have some design influence from outside Nintendo. Fine if they want to go after some other gimmick, but at least have a competent base design by folks who've actually been through the motions already.

Remfin

I would like to hear from other big developers if the wait time is similar for them as well. 'Cause that sounds like one of the worst things in that article, and it couldn't be too difficult to verify with other devs, big or small
I would guess it's people who are actually interested in releasing (announced or indie) vs. people who are just speculative. Besides the obvious incentive on Nintendo's side of who to prioritize, the first group would do two-way communication, whereas you probably don't even hear back from the second group.

Plus there's always the question of the kind of questions being asked. Anyone who has ever supported developers knows that something has probably already gone horribly wrong (on the developer side) when they start getting "when I flip bit 5 on argument 3 in mode y, why does this happen?" questions, which is probably what the big boys like to send over.

I'm glad you don't notice the input latency of the off-tv play, or the 30fps limit, but even that wasn't what I was criticizing.
What I was criticizing is that sometimes it seems that the worse graphical fidelity makes the WiiU less of a console, but then it seems that the compression artefacts, the variable latencies and the 30fps limit is not a remarkable difference.
I still haven't personally tested the feature, but I've seen enough reviews measuring those limitations and it's impossible to say that the Vita does the job as well done as the Gamepad does. I mean, variable latencies are absolutely fatal in some genres.
I've personally noticed more input latency playing the Wii U gamepad than using the Vita in ideal conditions. I don't know if it's because I'm playing Virtual Console or what, but I can definitely feel a delay between button and actions on the Gamepad screen, and it has made playing The Legend of Zelda more difficult.

Also, the functionality is what warrants the trade-off in most people's experiences. I'm alright with some compression and input latency now and again if it means I can access my PS4 from anywhere with WiFi access or a cellular data signal.

We all know the pros and cons of each setup, and I'm telling you that even in less than ideal conditions, the Vita has the potential to minimize its drawbacks to be unnoticeable and the Wii U has nothing to mitigate its drawbacks (shitty display, noticeable latency, shitty range).

He clearly talks about a launch title. And Sonic All Stars really sold very well on Wii U, according to Sega reports.
NBA 2k13 fits perfectly to the article. Big producer, invited among firsts to have a first glance at Wii U, developed with Visual Studio (as far as I can see searching for it), had network issues at launch and way after but it was a good port (so received well by reviews). And it sold badly.

Possibly; I had mentally assumed the writer of the article was British due to idioms used (like "mum") and who DF are and where they are placed, which is why I was curious as to which developer it was, because Sumo were acclaimed as a launch title, but also sold well, and Criterion were acclaimed and didn't sell well, but were not a launch title.

shuri

Banned
Where is the local support? I'm suprised none of the support team spoke English, that's pretty appalling.
This is 2014, and this is from a mega corporation. This should not be happening. There is no excuse for this amateurish way of working. But then again I remember from a long time ago forum posts from devs talking about getting similar problems with early n64/gamecube devellopement, and even with sony for the psx.

..but this was back in 1995

I wonder if any dev before launch used more than one core, even after launch. The only thing that really bothers me besides the obvious about the article in the OP, is the developer fails to mention the eDRAM, no mention in the diferrences in CPU cores L2 Cache.

D-e-f-

Banned
I would guess the dev is from Straight Right, who worked on Mass Effect 3's port.

I think it's pretty clear that this is a Criterion source (you could even pinpoint exactly WHO without that much effort) if you know what the guy discusses in his article and what the various games released presented.

jeffers

I think it's pretty clear that this is a Criterion source (you could even pinpoint exactly WHO without that much effort) if you know what the guy discusses in his article and what the various games released presented.

except its a launch title. criterion on record talk about starting post launch, with proper documentation/sdk.

NBtoaster

Criterion didn't make a launch game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

But NFS was not a launch game. Plus, do you think Nintendo went into Criterion's office? (or Sumo's)

When I was told that Nintendo had come into the office for a meeting I could already guess as to what they were going to be talking about.

And this can't be about EA, as they had more than 1 game produced for launch.

D-e-f-

Banned
except its a launch title. criterion on record talk about starting post launch, with proper documentation/sdk.

RE-starting.

Criterion didn't make a launch game.

"we eventually shipped our game"

it never says the game was actually released on launch day.

But NFS was not a launch game. Plus, do you think Nintendo went into Criterion's office? (or Sumo's)

And this can't be about EA, as they had more than 1 game produced for launch.

A technical director-type person surely does get to be part of big console reveal meetings at the publisher HQ.

Wasn't there a rumor (Shocking Alberto?) that NFS was ready at launch but EA deliberately delayed it? Criterion denied it later but it could fit.

Tripon

Its pretty funny how everyone is guessing the developer. I'm going to guess Tantalaus and Funky Barn! :)

Okay, seriously, I think Aquamarine is on the right track and its 2K and NBA2K13.

I wonder if any dev before launch used more than one core, even after launch. The only thing that really bothers me besides the obvious about the article in the OP, is the developer fails to mention the eDRAM, no mention in the diferrences in CPU cores L2 Cache.

Really? After CELL and Xenon, you actually have to question if a console dev would only know how to code their games on 1 core (@1.24ghz) from a PPC CPU?

eDRAM isn't new and he does mention that bandwidth isn't an issue thanks to it.

D-e-f-

Banned
Its pretty funny how everyone is guessing the developer. I'm going to guess Tantalaus and Funky Barn! :)

Okay, seriously, I think Aquamarine is on the right track and its 2K and NBA2K13.

Except it doesn't fit, at all.

edit: scroll down for some backpedaling on my part.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A technical director-type person surely does get to be part of big console reveal meetings at the publisher HQ.

But in spite of these tests the management made the decision, for various business reasons, to release a game on the Wii U. So now we had to get stuck in and try to make a game.

The article talk about a single game produced for Wii U. EA released more than 1. If this was from Criterion, it would have been formulated as "the game", not "a game".
And is Criterion even using Visual Studio for development?

Except it doesn't fit, at all.

Why?
They use Visual Studio, they had troubles with the network in NBA 2k13 way after the launch, they produced a good port that sold poorly.

How did Gaf strike 2K off the list?

Retro, Monster Studios, and Next Level Games don't count? (okay, Next Level is Canadian....)

I don't think they have any ownership stake in monster or nlg.

And they aren't currently using retro to diversify their games lineup or gather information on how western studios operate or provide support to third parties or any other thing that could be unique to a north american team anyway.

Tripon

I don't think they have any ownership stake in monster or nlg.

And they aren't currently using retro to diversify their games lineup or gather information on how western studios operate or provide support to third parties or any other thing that could be unique to a north american team anyway.
They don't in monster and next level games, but both companies work exclusively with nintendo and neither see fit in changing the relationship.

D-e-f-

Banned
The article talk about a single game produced for Wii U. EA released more than 1. If this was from Criterion, it would have been formulated as "the game", not "a game".
And is Criterion even using Visual Studio for development?

Why?
They use Visual Studio, they had troubles with the network in NBA 2k13 way after the launch, they produced a good port that sold poorly.

He talks about Mii support. NFSMWU is the only game I know of from third parties that uses Miis. NBA2k13 doesn't have any visual extras that I know of.

The GPU proved very capable and we ended up adding additional "polish" features as the GPU had capacity to do it.

NFSMWU famously uses PC textures.

No clue about Visual Studio.

Another key thing is the author uses the exact phrase "CPU punches above its weight" that the Technical Director at Criterion used in their behind the scenes preview already, going through almost all these exact same issues already.

Log4Girlz

I wonder what they try next. I think, since they just must be quirky, Nintendo really should put out mobile tech as their next console. With juice from the socket, a fan to cool it, and using 28 nm tech, you should be able to outperform Wii U on the cheap (maybe not as cheap), but then you have the benefit of easy porting from mobile devices which third parties are going to support more and more. If they go with a traditional console, third parties will stay away.

Shiggy

They don't in monster and next level games, but both companies work exclusively with nintendo and neither see fit in changing the relationship.

At least for NLG it's also that nobody really wants to work with them. Have you seen some of their pitches from the last few years? Was any third party publisher really interested in them? In the end, they were signed for some really low budget titles that turned out shit. Without a tight lash from NCL the studio is not more than a C or D team. That's why it's probably best for them to stay close to Nintendo and play along their rules.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are we really combing through each word of the article with a fine comb to find clues that might reveal the identity of the source? ...
Like... for real?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
He talks about Mii support. NFSMWU is the only game I know of from third parties that uses Miis.

The quote is this:

We had the basics so we could at least do some testing and connect multiple kits together, but a lot of the Mii and friends content was missing and there was no way to test how the existing code would behave in a "retail environment" as there was no retail "flash" for the development kits.

He might refer here to Mii as users. It doesn't imply they used the Mii in the game.

Another key thing is the author uses the exact phrase "CPU punches above its weight" that the Technical Director at Criterion used in their behind the scenes preview already, going through almost all these exact same issues already.

anonymous developer said:
so while the chip has some interesting features that let the CPU punch above its weight, we couldn't fully take advantage of them.

Criterion said:
So, I think you've got one group of people who walked away, you've got some other people who just dived in and tried and thought, 'Ah... it's not kind of there,' but not many people have done what we've done, which is to sit down and look at where it's weaker and why, but also see where it's stronger and leverage that.

I don't know, the Criterion guys always sound passionate about their work and willing to try to overcome the challenges, while the guy in this article sound very blasé. Plus:

NFS article said:
Nintendo gave us a lot of support - support which helps people who are doing cross-platform development actually get the GPU running to the kind of rate we've got it at now. We benefited by not quite being there for launch - we got a lot of that support that wasn't there at day one... the tools, everything

This part is totally missing in the current article.

smik

what a amazing article, very well writen and one of the very few op story links i click on

I so badly want Nintendo to succeed but this outright blatant disregard of documentation, tool system assist and support is really a bad look for them from a third party publisher, developers and public point of view.

The WII U got it wrong when they first announced the console, people still dont know if its a wii addon, new console or its even available to be purchased the marketing has been terrible.

I would like to hear from other big developers if the wait time is similar for them as well. 'Cause that sounds like one of the worst things in that article, and it couldn't be too difficult to verify with other devs, big or small
I just hope that is an isolated incident ..because otherwise i cannot begin to imagine the pain to devellop on this console otherwise.

Are we really combing through each word of the article with a fine comb to find clues that might reveal the identity of the source? ...
Like... for real?

Never underestimate GAf investigators...
So many things were under covered that way.

Maddness

I just hope that is an isolated incident ..because otherwise i cannot begin to imagine the pain to devellop on this console otherwise.

Some of this definitely sounds familiar when the company I worked for worked on the Wii. That was a couple years ago, though and I figured it was an isolated incident with my previous employer. Maybe not.

D-e-f-

Banned
I'm starting to warm up to the 2k/Visual Concepts theory a bit. There are strong cases to be made for both it and Criterion. Both have points where it fits better and then again not so much.

Like... for real?

It's fun. It's like real-life Ace Attorney!

PRESS START

Tripon

I'm starting to warm up to the 2k/Visual Concepts theory a bit. There are strong cases to be made for both it and Criterion. Both have points where it fits better and then again not so much.

It could go either way. And we don't know if the Anonymous Developer is intentionally fudging up details to make it harder to source back.

Of course Eurogamer would have to be okay with that...

D-e-f-

Banned
It could go either way. And we don't know if the Anonymous Developer is intentionally fudging up details to make it harder to source back.

Final truth revealed: Reggie wrote it himself because Iwata keeps blocking his parking spot with his Yoshi Helicopter since he took the reigns of NoA.

yoshi-the-helicopterqhubp.gif

Jezbollah

That's all good and well, but it's been over a year since the console was released.

I would expect Nintendo to get their dev kits and development tools fixed by now.

Amir0x

Banned
Ah, good to know it's something like that. Still, shame the experience was so negative for that developer. But at least it's past...

prag16

Banned

I'm 90% in the 2K camp at this point. Sumo and Criterion have some elements to fit, but 2K definitely seems to make the most sense.

As for the vita/remote play issue, we probably have some confirmation bias in play from both sides.

Both have strengths and weaknesses in comparison to each other. I'll leave it at that.

lol, OK dude, I'm the company lover here, because I use vita remote play and find it perfect, bar the occasional conflict with other WiFi channels or someone else using the WiFi, which has nothing to do with Sony or the technology.

I wouldn't comment on wiiU remote play as I've never used it. So you should do the same and stop quoting Leadbetter.
You may find it perfect, but those limitations are there and even DF had to admit that (the ones that were saying that Trine 2 was inferior on Wii U until the developers said it was superior, and then changed the whole review due to that).
Besides DF, there has been more sites stating that 30 FPS limit or the higher latencies, so while it's not a big deal to you, it surely seems a big deal to me.

As I'm not here to defend or bash a concrete company I admitted from the beginning that I still haven't tried personally how it works, but if there's a page that I have no doubts never will lie in favour to Nintendo that is precisely DF.

dk_

Unbelievable. I facepalmed several times while reading this article. Nintendo is so stubborn and old-fashioned.

Top Bottom