• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Developers, The Wii U story - Digital Foundry Series

prag16

Banned
Didn't DF rail against the gamepads analog sticks in a technical performance review one time? Plus, their comparisons of 360/PS3/WiiU games have been called out in the past, most recently with Ass Creed 4. I really don't find them credible at this point.

I'm not saying I dismiss everything they say, and I'm not saying I think they're full of anti-Nintendo trolls. But...

They're 0 for 2 in terms of games with which I actually have first hand on both Wii U and PS3.

Splinter Cell Blacklist has atrociously distracting screentearing on PS3. How they could recommend that over the Wii U version is beyond me. Yeah, the loading times are an annoyance, but the alleged frame drops are very minimal (and I have a decent eye for that stuff).

Black Ops 2: They're campaign analysis is probably valid, but in the Wii U analysis, they failed to mention that the PS3 version is awful online. It looks pretty rough and is not a smooth experience at all, be it image quality or performance. My own experience with the PS3 version isn't extensive, but two friends whose opinions I trust who spent over 100 hours on each version had the exact same takeaway. However all DF said in their analysis was along the lines of "at least the Wii U version isn't as bad online, coming much closer to the PS3 version" implying it's still worse. Sure. If much closer means noticeably better...

Don't want to throw anybody under the bus, but a poster here who says he writes for DF admitted that the PS3 version looks really rough online compared to the Wii U version even if it beats the Wii U version overall in the single player stuff. Interesting that it wasn't mentioned in Leadbetter's review.

So I'm not saying... but I'm just saying..

Didn't DF rail against the gamepads analog sticks in a technical performance review one time? Plus, their comparisons of 360/PS3/WiiU games have been called out in the past, most recently with Ass Creed 4. I really don't find them credible at this point.

DF mainly ripped the Wii U version because of its framerate differences compared to the PS3/360 versions. They said on average it runs about 5-10fps lower than those versions. Those are instances where it's hard to argue with them because it's not their opinion. They're basing it off what their framerate analysis shows. You can see that here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU

Shiggy

These are 3rd parties sharing their experiences as well (Well maybe Kamiya is more like 2nd party in this case). Why are some 3rd party statements more valid (the ones that shit on nintendo and don't give a name) than others (those saying the Wii U policies have changed since launch and put their names on the line).

I'm not doubting that things have changed since then. Yet no sane developer will go out and talk bad things about any partners/companies publicly. They'd get fired or they'd never get a new job or project again. So even if there were things that didn't work well, these companies will either remain quiet - or when asked, they will obviously state something positive.

Nonetheless, with developers such as Renegade Kid or Wayforward I won't doubt that their experience was positive. Yet, for a developer which had to port a slightly more demanding title such as Assassin's Creed, it might not have been. These third party ports show and different accounts already let us knew that it's not an easy task, simply because of the system's architecture. If the initial launch issues, which other sources seem to confirm, happened, it must have been a rather negative experience for developers.

So its only "PR" when its positive for the WiiU? I hate this reasoning, and I see it flung around Nintendoomed threads all to often.

Regarding 3rd party ports, western developers had 7 years of experience on 360/PS3, and they were still able to get games running relatively smoothly on WiiU right out of the gate.

It's PR when they don't explain why it is easier.

We have plenty of reasons why it hard to develop for Wii U.

Shiggy

So its only "PR" when its positive for the WiiU? I hate this reasoning, and I see it flung around Nintendoomed threads all to often.

Didn't I mention other instances too? Such as the DKCR2 or Mark Betteridge story? I'd suggest you simply don't just trust these PR responses. Instead, look at your surrounding and ask yourself whether it can be really true. If you take a look at the quality of 3rd party ports, I guess you will find the answer.

Regarding 3rd party ports, western developers had 7 years of experience on 360/PS3, and they were still able to get games running relatively smoothly on WiiU right out of the gate.

Smooth in terms of running and looking worse than the PS3/360 versions, yes. But that was only possible because of Nintendo's great support and their great tools. That leads to the question of how worse the ports would've been without the support/tools you imply.

wsippel

Banned
You are missing the article in which Miyamoto and Iwata also confirm that it's easier to develop for Wii U than for other platforms.

In other words, PR answers are nice. I love when people simply take them as a fact when reality speaks a different language. Why were 3rd party ports inferior if Wii U was so easy to develop for? The same frequently happens when users on here don't question PR replies - "Retro wanted to make DKCR2", of course, that's why their leads left the studio; "Mark Betteridge left his position as Head of Rare Ltd. to pursue other opportunities at the company", heck no, he was fired. That's why these anonymous reports play such an important role, and, when verified by a reliable source such as Eurogamer, are very revealing.
"Easy to develop for" and "easy to port to" are two very different things.

Sneds

You asking that question is just inviting defending crazies to scream "lazy developers."

I think that developer and publishers probably didn't prioritise Wii U ports because of the low install base and assumption that the games would sell better on other platforms.

So while it's not a case if "lazy developers" it could be a case that the poor ports have more to do with developer priorities rather than the system being inherently difficult to program for.

qko

I'm not doubting that things have changed since then. Yet no sane developer will go out and talk bad things about any partners/companies publicly. They'd get fired or they'd never get a new job or project again. So even if there were things that didn't work well, these companies will either remain quiet - or when asked, they will obviously state something positive.

Nonetheless, with developers such as Renegade Kid or Wayforward I won't doubt that their experience was positive. Yet, for a developer which had to port a slightly more demanding title such as Assassin's Creed, it might not have been. These third party ports show and different accounts already let us knew that it's not an easy task, simply because of the system's architecture. If the initial launch issues, which other sources seem to confirm, happened, it must have been a rather negative experience for developers.

You really are inviting the "Lazy Developer" trope aren't you? Care to explain why Battlefield 4 on the PS4 was so buggy? COD on Xbone being 900p instead of 1080p? Launch issues?

prag16

Banned
DF mainly ripped the Wii U version because of its framerate differences compared to the PS3/360 versions. They said on average it runs about 5-10fps lower than those versions. Those are instances where it's hard to argue with them because it's not their opinion. They're basing it off what their framerate analysis shows. You can see that here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGNeLufdAU

I haven't played AC4 yet, but played AC3 and it was generally fine. Based on what DF said about each, it sounds like the Wii U version of AC3 holds its ground better than AC4 does against PS360 versions. How the hell is that possible? Farmed out to a crappier team or something??

People who actually played AC4 on Wii U didn't seem to have too many such complaints, but I guess some of those people may have been wearing Reggie-tinted glasses.

Exactly. Also most teams were small. Actually Darksiders 2 is actually a miracle that it is on the Wii U. If this piece was really the truth, with the struggles in THQ I don't think this game would be brought to life through a very small team.

It has been mentioned to death, again

Wii U is similar to PS360 in terms of raw power, but its memory architecture and CPU resembles PS4/XB1 more than PS360. The latter had strong raw power CPUs, while Wii U has a capable CPU but it is out of order, and a capable GPGPU, both connected to a high bandwidth memory system.

This is why some people in the know think that Wii U could benefit when ports are scaled down from PS4/XB1 and not from PS360 where the way of doing things for 7-8 years does not bode well to Wii U strengths. Actually happens with some ports for PS4, why is AC4 not achieving 1080p60, it is more than capable?

You are missing the article in which Miyamoto and Iwata also confirm that it's easier to develop for Wii U than for other platforms.

In other words, PR answers are nice. I love when people simply take them as a fact when reality speaks a different language. Why were 3rd party ports inferior if Wii U was so easy to develop for? The same frequently happens when users on here don't question PR replies - "Retro wanted to make DKCR2", of course, that's why their leads left the studio; "Mark Betteridge left his position as Head of Rare Ltd. to pursue other opportunities at the company", heck no, he was fired. That's why these anonymous reports play such an important role, and, when verified by a reliable source such as Eurogamer, are very revealing.

Right, and I am sure that by some means, the indies that choose to develop for the WiiU, are not sane...oh wait!

Also, Kamiya confirmed as some kind of PR puppet!

Exactly. Also most teams were small. Actually Darksiders 2 is actually a miracle that it is on the Wii U. If this piece was really the truth, with the struggles in THQ I don't think this game would be brought to life through a very small team.

It has been mentioned to death, again

Wii U is similar to PS360 in terms of raw power, but its memory architecture and CPU resembles PS4/XB1 more than PS360. The latter had strong raw power CPUs, while Wii U has a capable CPU but it is out of order, and a capable GPGPU, both connected to a high bandwidth memory system.

This is why some people in the know think that Wii U could benefit when ports are scaled down from PS4/XB1 and not from PS360 where the way of doing things for 7-8 years does not bode well to Wii U strengths. Actually happens with some ports for PS4, why is AC4 not achieving 1080p60, it is more than capable?

You are insane if you think the Wii U is going to get down ports of PS4/XB1 games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I'm not sure anymore if this was a theory or confirmed/leaked long ago, but from what i remember from the Wii, the reasoning was that reading DVD/CD's, was left out for licensing costs (they actually said they'd make it available after purchasing a software upgrade iirc but never went through with it), but first and foremost, to prevent hardware failures. The more the disc has to spin, the sooner the disc drive will crap out.

So... once right, always right? Once wrong always wrong? According to you guys, giving Mario 3DWorld GOTY means they can't be wrong with their analysis of, say Splinter Cell? (Which they are).

No...just pointing out they do give praise to Nintendo. Seeing the praise, criticism of Nintendo things fellow posters have posted in this thread, around the forums....EG, DF are one of 2 things: Inconsistent, unbiased. Or they are just human and do make mistakes. If they make lots of mistakes...then thats another story.

As much as the XBO gets hated on...DF, EG have some articles about the differences being minimal in some cases. Sometimes they try to be impartial and post clips, pics and us users can tell they were just being nice to MS.

About the drive...they do have a point. But the failure of disc drives are very, very minimal in consoles since the switch to disc games. There is a greater chance of your disc getting scratched to death, becoming unreadable and getting broke than the drive failing.

Thats a great thing about blu ray discs...its a more durable than regular CD's, DVD's.

You are insane if you think the Wii U is going to get down ports of PS4/XB1 games.

I am making a point, lol, but yes I know, know we revert back to sales and poor 3rd party support.

But if someone like Ubi or Acti tries doing it, and the port is actually easier (less cost), even with the low sales a port could be profitable. I know there is more chance of getting no 3rd party support though, so inb4 lol you are crazy, yes I think there is a slight chance this happens at least with major 3rd parties.

I haven't played AC4 yet, but played AC3 and it was generally fine. Based on what DF said about each, it sounds like the Wii U version of AC3 holds its ground better than AC4 does against PS360 versions. How the hell is that possible? Farmed out to a crappier team or something??

Same thing happened with Saints Row 4 on the PS3. SR3 was the best version on consoles. Ran at 720p native, no screen tearing, and a decent framerate. SR4 dropped the resolution to 960x720, it removed v-sync which led to constant screen tearing, and the framerate took a hit.

qko

Right, and I am sure that by some means, the indies that choose to develop for the WiiU, are not sane...oh wait!

Guise, BF4 bugs on PS4 are "launch issues". Hard to port games on Wii U are EPIC FAIL. Stop the PR people saying that Wii U is getting easier to develop games for.

Shiggy

True.

You really are inviting the "Lazy Developer" trope aren't you? Care to explain why Battlefield 4 on the PS4 was so buggy? COD on Xbone being 900p instead of 1080p? Launch issues?

Cannot comment on this as I did not actively follow either game/console. Wasn't Battlefield buggy on all platforms? Wasn't CoD 900p due to the console's power limitations? Did both titles run worse than the PS3/360 versions as most 3rd party Wii U games do?

If you really think that Kamiya would say something bad about Nintendo publicly at this point, you are insane. Sorry to say that. And I said something about indies before: I don't doubt that they have positive experiences right now. Things seem to have changed with the tools available.

Did Watch_Dogs get cancelled?

Someone here on NeoGAF said it would've been cancelled had they kept the 2013 release heh. I don't want to know how that port is shaping up.

At this point no one thinks, and would be surprised if someone tried. It doesn't mean it wouldn't benefit WiiU development coming down from much more capable hardware. Would you agree that Crysis 3 down port to current gen console them visually although not much in a technical way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So do poeple still believe in eurogamers "anonymous" clickgenerator?

I believe the story is accurately reported, comes from an actual source, is grounded in facts--if one person's limited version of them--and is well written, yes? The case against that appears to be "eurogamer are biast" "wii u is beast mode" "look what jools said", which strikes me as a distinctly less robust and thoughtful approach to the subject than the original article.

I think even if were the case that the article is 100% out of date and developing a Wii U game is as easy as dreaming big and then cashing the cheque, I would still be interested in sourced but anonymous reflections on interacting with Nintendo and the run-up to the launch period. To the extent that people have pointed out that things tend to come together very late before launch for most consoles, I think that's true and I'm interested in comparable stories for other platforms throughout history--but some of the specific allegations made in this article seem damning uniquely to Nintendo's approach to things, particular insufficient English-language developer support pre-launch and inability to compare products with competing products due to not paying attention to the competition.

I think "refuting" it by getting people to say that their development experiences differed might be valuable, but getting Twitter pull-quotes from designers and non-programmers who are coming to the Wii U later on, don't have the language barrier, aren't porting from any other console (or in some cases are developing for Nintendo on a first-party basis), aren't necessarily using some of the infrastructure that the original. I definitely think if your immediate reaction to reading any article is to debunk it, even if you're not sure it's wrong but just because you don't like the conclusion, is an indication that you're not approaching things with a clear head and that's definitely been the case with some immediate reactions here and elsewhere online.

Finally, notwithstanding this particular account, it seems like the Wii U has not met expectations in terms of third party support and hardware success. No matter who is to blame for this, blame is an overrated concept in any relationship. What matters is the best path forward for both parties and what each party needs to do to be able to achieve their desired outcome. So to me, even if Nintendo has absolutely no blame and it's a satanic pact between EA (butthurt over the ORIGIN conspiracy) and Micro$haft Three SHITTY and the NSA to undermine Nintendo, the best way forward is still a sober examination of who is happy with the status quo and who isn't and movement on the people least happy in order to secure a better arrangement in the future.

Awaiting being featured on @NeoGAFShitMod as part of the campaign to highlight GAF moderators' ongoing anti-Nintendo conspiracy.

True.

Cannot comment on this as I did not actively follow either game/console. Wasn't Battlefield buggy on all platforms? Wasn't CoD 900p due to the console's power limitations? Did both titles run worse than the PS3/360 versions as most 3rd party Wii U games do?

If you really think that Kamiya would say something bad about Nintendo publicly at this point, you are insane. Sorry to say that. And I said something about indies before: I don't doubt that they have positive experiences right now. Things seem to have changed with the tools available.

Someone here on NeoGAF said it would've been cancelled had they kept the 2013 release heh. I don't want to know how that port is shaping up.

This is true for anyone under contractual obligations with Sony, and Microsoft.

69wpm

If you really think that Kamiya would say something bad about Nintendo publicly at this point, you are insane.

Let me summarise some of his tweets from September '13:

- Wii U VC graphic (NES games) is not clear. I hate it.
- I hate anti-aliasing.
- NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO FUCKING SMOOTHENING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Collecting Triforce is junk.

Who is insane now?

rokkerkory

Wii U was meant to be a port machine and made similar to 360 in architecture esp GPU wise... however I think the consumer had already moved on and wanted true next-gen. If Wii U came out 2 years earlier then maybe.

True.

If he were to act like a PR puppet, he would -i guess- say that the WiiU is such an easy console to develop, etc etc. He is just sayin that there is no big difference with the 360/ps3. I dont see that being such a great hyperbole, so as to include him in a gang of PR abusers..
Anyway, I think Nintendo has some bigger issues to face, than this shit being throwed towards her from some developer that will probably never again develop for the WiiU.

And what's your point? With Rare Ltd, I even mentioned a specific case outside of Nintendo.

So then there's no point in pointing out the obvious. Its not like someone was going to read that and disagree. Opinions and experiences differ, then has been a fact of game development for decades, particularly for programmers.

Shiggy

Let me summarise some of his tweets:

- Wii U VC graphic (NES games) is not clear. I hate it.
- I hate anti-aliasing.
- NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NO FUCKING SMOOTHENING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Collecting Triforce is junk.

Who is insane now?

I think you are taking a too simplistic view on this. There are two different things: His personal view on Nintendo titles and his work relationship with them. Can a developer say something bad about the products some company is offering, i.e. could a developer say that they dislike Knack? Sure, that would not really impact his relationship with Sony. Could the same developer say that Sony is absolutely unreliable, withholds payments, and does not provide necessary information? Sure, the developer can but that would seriously damage future prospects to work with Sony in the future and also with other publishers.

qko

so is eurogamer article bull ?

I think I rather get all my gaming news on gaf instead of giving these no nonsense sites clicks

It's not bull, but it sounds like the information is outdated and Eurogamer is not necessarily clarifying that the comments of these developers refers to launch issues (why clarify when everyone is clicking to read the article?). The article makes it sound like many of these issues are ongoing while many other developers have been saying that things have changed and actually do acknowledge that this issues were existent very early when the Wii U was announced, but that now some of these issues are non-issues.

prag16

Banned
It'll get near zero. Hell it's not even getting much 360/PS3 ports.

Well that wasn't the point. It will get very few, yes. But we already have one (sort of) confirmed to be coming in Project CARS. Unlike the existing PC/WiiU games, this one is designed first and foremost targeting very high end hardware, then downported to Wii U, rather than designed with PS360 largely in mind.

Over the next few years I'm sure there'll be some more. Many? Nah.

It'll get near zero. Hell it's not even getting much 360/PS3 ports.
It seems like a lot of publishers are waiting to see it Nintendo can right the ship and get Wii U sales into a range decent enough to be worth their time and energy. If that happens (doubtful right now) then there's no way that publishers will just ignore it completely.

I doubt that there will be many PS360 games in development after this year and exclusive 3rd party games are pretty unlikely so downports of PS4/Xbox One games will be the only option. Pretty much all of the new in-house engines, especially the Japanese ones, are being developed with scalability ranging from high-end PC/Consoles down to mobile. What would be the reason for leaving the Wii U out of that if it carves out any kind of market in the next few years?

Well that wasn't the point. It will get very few, yes. But we already have one (sort of) confirmed to be coming in Project CARS. Unlike the existing PC/WiiU games, this one is designed first and foremost targeting very high end hardware, then downported to Wii U, rather than designed with PS360 largely in mind.

Over the next few years I'm sure there'll be some more. Many? Nah.
What is your point? Not many games will go through the trouble of being ported to Wii U. Third party support will either stay as it is now or decline. Neither is good for Nintendo.

prag16

Banned
What is your point? Not many games will go through the trouble of being ported to Wii U. Third party support will either stay as it is now or decline. Neither is good for Nintendo.

jackiechan.jpg

I guess none of the posters lining up to give me shit about my comment have bothered to read the post the original guy I was talking to had just replied to.

I don't think anyone here is trying to contend that the Wii U will get shitloads of PS4bone down ports.

Yet there have been two AC games ported to Wii U with very few issues.

Consideirng ubisoft is extra close of nintendo since the first wii , i doubt they had any problem considering their size and budget..

Not many develloppers are in the same situation.

It's not bull, but it sounds like the information is outdated and Eurogamer is not necessarily clarifying that the comments of these developers refers to launch issues (why clarify when everyone is clicking to read the article?). The article makes it sound like many of these issues are ongoing while many other developers have been saying that things have changed and actually do acknowledge that this issues were existent very early when the Wii U was announced, but that now some of these issues are non-issues.

The fact that those issues have existed at some point is the real issue.
And that wii U fans seems to ignore that point entirely.

jblank83

Scalability

Look at any competent PC game. They scale heavily, running on a vast array of systems, from 640x480 with DX 9 features, able to run on a tablet like the Surface Pro 2, up to 1920x1080 with DX 11 features, meant to run on high end $400 GPUs.

Very little revolutionary game design or software engineering is going to happen on X1 or PS4. Scale it down enough and it'll run. Whether any company will put the resources into making such a thing happen is a different matter. In most cases, the answer will be no.

It would be interesting to see if someone collated a list of the actual developers of WiiU, PS360 ports. People do realise that they are almost always given to tiny C or D level teams or worse farmed out to mobile developers (like ME3) right ?.

Consoles development esp is all about optimisation, the more time developers have to do it, the better the results of the final game. Tiny teams of the most inexperienced people in the company with mere months to create their very first games on WiiU was always going to end in disaster, esp when you combine that with reports of unfinished dev tools.

The fact that Ubisoft Shanghai got Splinter Cell Blacklist (a game designed around the strengths of PS360) to run at 720p native resolution with V-Sync on while looking slightly better and having a slightly better framerate despite not even having an install option should be all the proof needed that WiiU is a decent tech step above PS360.

If the best developers at the top third party companies were given a decent budget and time frame to create WiiU games they would be able to produce some incredible results imo.

jackiechan.jpg

I guess none of the posters lining up to give me shit about my comment have bothered to read the post the original guy I was talking to had just replied to.

I don't think anyone here is trying to contend that the Wii U will get shitloads of PS4bone down ports.
I've followed the entire conversation. I specifically replied to you because your post was arguing semantics. You acknowledge that the Wii U won't recieve relevant ports. You don't think anyone is contending that it won't recieve a shitload of ports. Then what is your point? The third party situation for the Wii U is subpar and looking at the data, will soon be very subpar. I don't know if you've already accepted that or not.

tipoo

Banned
Scalability

Look at any competent PC game. They scale heavily, running on a vast array of systems, from 640x480 with DX 9 features, able to run on a tablet like the Surface Pro 2, up to 1920x1080 with DX 11 features, meant to run on high end $400 GPUs.

Very little revolutionary game design or software engineering is going to happen on X1 or PS4. Scale it down enough and it'll run. Whether any company will put the resources into making such a thing happen is a different matter. In most cases, the answer will be no.

You mostly scale down GPU features on PCs, with a few CPU features. But if next gen engines are built to take advantage of the 6 free cores in the other two and make that central to the game, scaling it down could be an issue. Sure you could cull the number of enemies like some games already have, but think about multicore rendering, etc.

diaspora

You mostly scale down GPU features on PCs, with a few CPU features. But if next gen engines are built to take advantage of the 6 free cores in the other two and make that central to the game, scaling it down could be an issue. Sure you could cull the number of enemies like some games already have, but think about multicore rendering, etc.

But it's necessary to remember that they're 6 free, slow cores that are outclassed by most if not all desktop CPUs.

Yet there have been two AC games ported to Wii U with very few issues.

We went from WiiU is much more powerful than PS360 to WiiU is a little better than PS360 to "well, the WiiU ports from PS360 are only slightly worse".

On paper, WiiU should get better ports, not slightly worse or near identical. It has 2Gb of memory (1 for games), and PS3 has 256 of GRAM and 256 of RAM... including the OS. Being able to port versions that are nearly as good as 8 years old machines, instead of better, show that porting to WiiU is not something as easy.

It would be interesting to see if someone collated a list of the actual developers of WiiU, PS360 ports.

If the best developers at the top third party companies were given a decent budget and time frame to create WiiU games they would be able to produce some incredible results imo.
Couldn't your last statement apply to any of the next-gen consoles? If the best developers at the top third party companies were given time and a decent budget, they could churn out good results for any of the consoles. Also, looking at the sales data, I highly doubt that'd ever happen, seeing as the companies I'd consider "top third party companies" might not get a return on their investment, considering the install base and sales of third party games. That's why Nintendo steps in and finances things like Wonderful 101 and Bayo 2.

Top Bottom