• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

secretly awesome eShop platformer KUNG FU RABBIT $2.50 starting today (Wii U, 3DS)

maxcriden

The game is on sale for a measly $2.50 in NA. Wii U version is best from what I understand. Sale probably starts at Noon EST today.

Kung Fu Rabbit - Starting today until 9 a.m. PT on July 10, the Kung Fu Rabbit games on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop.

Credit to Hero of Legend for getting me to pick up this game on Wii U. Here's his original LTTP thread for this game.
WiiU_screenshot_TV_012D8.jpg

This is a basic 2D platformer, of which there are already quite a few available on the 3DS. There's just something special about this one, though. You traverse through bite-size levels and you can stick to walls. Touching black goo immediately kills you. You have infinite levels. I've never played Super Meat Boy but I've heard this described as SMB lite. I'm sure it's not as hard, although 100%ing the game offers plenty of content and increased, significant difficulty. It's definitely significantly more difficult than a Kirby game (I do love Kirby games, though). Anyway, the game is charming in a 2D hand-drawn Kung Fu Panda kind of way. The music is catchy and the artwork is gorgeous.

Pro-tip: collect the carrots for added difficulty (a la star coins in NSMB) but don't buy power-ups, they're like a super guide or White Tanooki-style item.

Trailer here:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/Dwf-FNfXtoQabq-xi8fDyXeZZvHbZ7pg

TL;DR: it's $2.50 and offers tons of fun and content.

VLiberty

A Super Meat Boy-like you say?

EDIT: just googled, feels kind of...slow. Oh, and I noticed there's a Vita version too, is it discounted as well?

SmokyDave

Can anyone that has played both elaborate on this?

I skipped it when the Vita version was on sale because I don't really like platformers. I fucking loved Super Meat Boy though, so I'm thinking maybe I should give this a go.

maxcriden

No lies. It's $2.50, probably just not till a bit later today. Maybe noon EST?
Kung Fu Rabbit - Starting today until 9 a.m. PT on July 10, the Kung Fu Rabbit games on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are 50 percent off in the Nintendo eShop.

I'll update the OP though, many apologies. I promise it'll be delightful and worth the wait.

VLiberty

I skipped it when the Vita version was on sale because I don't really like platformers. I fucking loved Super Meat Boy though, so I'm thinking maybe I should give this a go.

I didn't play Super Meat Boy (in fact I hope it comes to something I own someday...) but I know its gameplay because I loved to death a SMB-like game (League of Evil)

The similarity is the run and jump style gameplay. Run, jump on a wall, keep jumping to keep climbing the wall, jump from wall to wall and keep momentum etc. It's not 'die every other second' hard like SMB either. It's slower as well.

I wouldn't compare it to SMB really, but it is worth $5 and well worth $2.50

Fun game, certainly worth the $2.50

It is nothing like super meat boy except that the levels are short. The controls are completely different. Kung Fu Rabbit on the consoles/handhelds is just a port of the mobile version and feels like a touchscreen platformer

Come on Dave, it was free on iOS about 2 years ago with iCade support. How did you miss that? Great game worth $2.50.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The similarity is the run and jump style gameplay. Run, jump on a wall, keep jumping to keep climbing the wall, jump from wall to wall and keep momentum etc. It's not 'die every other second' hard like SMB either. It's slower as well.

I wouldn't compare it to SMB really, but it is worth $5 and well worth $2.50

This pretty much, Super Meat Boy is probably the better game tough as Kung Fu rabbit, while is good, really show its iOS roots due it gameplay being slow and simple.

Also I do wish that Super Meat Boy got ported to more systems, instead of just PC and 360.

VLiberty

If it wasn't available on Vita I would've got it, but you got me to add it to the wishlist. Be sure that once it goes sale I'll buy it since I'm sucker for sales, platformers and handheld games =)

Shizuka

I find it funny to see so many people praising the game on the Wii U when the game was released for the Vita last year without any phanfare.

daydream

Banned
I find it funny to see so many people praising the game on the Wii U when the game was released for the Vita last year without any phanfare.

"so many people praising the game" might be overstating it, lol. Though it's a nice compliment for Max who's clearly been doing an excellent job repping it as much as possible (rightly so!).

I'm guessing this game appeals more to more to the core nintendo fanbase.

Because it's a good game? Sure.

I don't have a Vita.

Anyway,I bought this when it was on sale months ago for $2.50. I haven't completed it yet but sunk at least a couple hours into it and I really enjoyed it. It is not a perfect 10/10, but it's easily worth the $2.50 or even $5.00 asking price.

LordDisco

Neo Member
Thanks for the heads up! The Wii U is getting lots of fun indie titles, and it seems like they are all releasing so close to each other. Shovel Knight just released too, and it is bloody brilliant! The Fall is supposed to be releasing soon, and it has also received phenomenal reviews, one of which referred to it as, "the lovechild of Super Metroid and Dead Space." Armillo looks really, really fun too, and Bombing Bastards looks like a great Bomberman clone. And Scram Kitty. WOW! If you haven't already, go buy that game now! It's awesome!

Teslagrad, QUBE, Nihilumbra, Monkey Pirates, and Hex Heroes are all coming within the next year too. The indie scene on Wii U is hot!

Zomba13

EDIT: just googled, feels kind of...slow. Oh, and I noticed there's a Vita version too, is it discounted as well?

It's very much like Super Meat Boy but slower and in regards to the speed there is a power-up ytou can get that improves speed. I forgot which one it is but it helps a lot (still not SMB speed but faster than default and more fun).

Pretty good game for the price and definitely get the carrots. Also, once you play through once you get like shadow versions of the levels which are remixes/harder versions of the levels IIRC.

SmokeMaxX

It's probably one of the perks of being an indie dev on WiiU- you have less competition. You also probably have a smaller install base, but it doesn't seem like a bad bet if you have a good game.

Top Bottom