• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems like Nolan got the better deal than Whedon on superhero movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

But Whedon can't go in and do stuff that would contradict story lines marvel was setting up for phase 3 and 4 on his own. Nolan had much more creative freedom on his Batman films for example.

yes, the whole connected chapters nature of the MCU is a new thing and as such the innards of what goes on aren't really something that's been dealt with this way before

there's not just one guy called DISNEY making all these decisions is what im saying*. like any movie it's a collaboration between everyone involved. the extent of the collaboration is just unknown to us, and assuming it's all just producer making the calls and saying "yeah just show up" is a pretty damn broad conjecture.

*unless they unfroze him

I dont get the "all marvel movies are the same" camp. sure they follow a similar hero-type movie A to B structure and some writers tried to recreate the quips nature and gave a lot of the characters a similar comedic voice.. but there's certainly nuance to these films and they still seem very different from each other to me, and very in line with each director's type of work as for me to say they have little say in what goes on.

Kimosabae

Banned
but that's boring.....i mean you don't see Kojima limiting himself when a new MGS game comes..in fact each MGS game seems to be distinctively different, the guy could care less about canon that much..although each game is technically connected

i don't buy the argument that directors and writers should abandon their vision be cause they are working within a universe/canon etc.

Avengers is still distinctively Whedon. But Marvel has an ambitious template for their universe that people love. Why should Whedon get to truncate or ignore that? He had control up to a point. MCU is not Whedon's vision he shouldn't be able to just do what he wants. The people heading these decisions at Marvel are creative minds too. It's not boring that's nonsense. The movies have been well-recieved.

Going by sheer facts, from the outside:
- yes, it's very apparent Whedon movies are torn between being whedonesque and being the biggest movies ever. In that regard, I can see how Whedon's movies can't compare to Nolan's when it comes to integrity. I'd temper that statement by questioning Dark Knight Rises though, which didn't seem as totally focused as the first two movies.
- as Salsa mentioned, Whedon's career trajectory simply didn't match Nolan's when they got their superhero movie deal. In that regard, he got a great deal as he got to direct the biggest movie ever (and its sequel) and a lot of it has Whedon DNA, even after going through the MCU factory.
Put simply: Whedon's in a better place than I would have imagined him 10-15 years ago while I could have predicted Nolan's current stature back then.

Avengers trumps the Dark Knight trilogy any day.

Let me see, real films versus assembly line products which are molded and sculpted at the behest of the studio machine?

Hmmmm.

For better or worse, Nolan has a blank check with WB that so many directors nowadays desperately wish they had.

I think Whedon secretly wants to shout out to the world that Marvel really fucked around with him on Ultron.

Afrodium

Banned
This is the trade-off we're getting with these shared universe superhero franchises. It's really cool to see the heroes all interacting with each other and having large event ripple through the other movies much like in the comics, but we gain this at the expense of having a director's singular vision guide a franchise.

You can sum this up pretty easily. Nolan was a savior when WB/DC was at its lowest point and Whedon was just another cog in the money printer that is the MCU.

WillyFive

If he didn't want to make serialized movies, then Marvel was definitely the wrong place to be. Must have been frustrating being the banner man of something you'd rather not do.

mreddie

Let me see, real films versus assembly line products which are molded and sculpted at the behest of the studio machine?

Can we just be happy Batman Begins lead to the MCU and the MCU is leading to one of the most dreamed movie (BvS) about to be a reality?

EDIT: Ahh shit, I fell for it.

Avengers trumps the Dark Knight trilogy any day.
giphy.gif

Salsa

Hmmmm.

now that's hilarious

but I guess the original poster of what you quoted was succesful in just shitting up the thread

Game4life

Banned
I enjoy the Marvel cinematic universe more than Nolans Batman movies. Both Avengers and GotG especially. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I feel like the Marvel movies embrace their comic book origins a bit more. Or at least for me they feel more fun, and I find that entertaining.

Then you need to read more comics. Nothing in Batman Begins and TDK is out of the ordinary for a Batman comic.

You can sum this up pretty easily. Nolan was a savior when WB/DC was at its lowest point and Whedon was just another cog in the money printer that is the MCU.

Bingo.

Which is why Nolan is allowed to make big budget passion projects. It's brought him to near-Spielberg levels of branding; his name on a poster gets the asses in the seats.

WB saw something in this guy; they gave a really talented, yet somewhat untested (he had only made Memento and Insomnia when he landed the Batman Begins gig) filmmaker the keys to their biggest franchise. He knocked it out of the park and has been allowed to make a big ticket passion project in between each of the Batman films.

Whedon walks into something that is already well-established and is strong armed by the greedy studio machine, he gets it very, very right the first time and, instead of giving the dude more creative leeway as a result, the suits over at Marvel just tightened their grip even more.

Let's not forget, this is the studio that sent Edgar Wright running for the hills. Whedon went on record about his screenplay for a reason; that studio just couldn't keep their post-it note loving paws off of it.

Age of Ultron has officially worn me out on this whole Marvel thing.

ruxtpin

Banned
Not to say I don't like the MCU, it has its own highs as much as its lows. Avengers and TWS still remains as one of my top 10 superhero flicks. It's just that comparing to the TDK trilogy always felt like comparing apples to oranges for me.

True. True. Good post. I really like TDK, but the whole "feel" of the movie is definitely different than the MCU movies. My iPad always has TDK on it, next to Captain Americas and GotG - but I find the lighter tone of the Marvel movies makes for easier rewatching. I have to be in a more contemplative mood for Nolans Batman.

Then you need to read more comics. Nothing in Batman Begins and TDK is out of the ordinary for a Batman comic.

I can't read while I'm also trying to see things. Come on dude.

- J - D -

Nolan definitely got the better deal if the question pertained solely to whether either he or Whedon set out to make a superhero film that was about more than just its most basest ideas.

You mentioned this in the OP, and it's practically subsumed by the rest of the text:
The difference between working on one hero (Nolan with Batman) versus a team of superheroes (Whedon with Avengers) should be noted, although both were built on ensemble casts

That's not one factor of consideration, it's the whole shebang.

Batman is just a man fighting men, not gods or monsters. The story is going to inherently be smaller and more intimate right from conception, ensemble or not, and control over a single character is much more feasible than if Nolan were forced into moving around a half dozen chess pieces all pulled from entirely different games.

The idea of making an intimate story out of something like the Avengers is just not feasible for a blockbuster tentpole without compromising on the visual extravaganza and bombast, and that's not possible either given what the general moviegoing audiences expect out of something like this.

Salsa

Bingo.

Which is why Nolan is allowed to make big budget passion projects. It's brought him to near-Spielberg levels of branding; his name on a poster gets the asses in the seats.

WB saw something in this guy; they gave a really talented, yet somewhat untested (he had only made Memento and Insomnia when he landed the Batman Begins gig) filmmaker the keys to their biggest franchise. He knocked it out of the park and has been allowed to make a big ticket passion project in between each of the Batman films.

Whedon walks into something that is already well-established and is strong armed by the greedy studio machine, he gets it very, very right the first time and, instead of giving the dude more creative leeway as a result, the suits over at Marvel just tightened their grip even more.

Let's not forget, this is the studio that sent Edgar Wright running for the hills. Whedon went on record about his screenplay for a reason; that studio just couldn't keep their post-it note loving paws off of it.

Age of Ultron has officially worn me out on this whole Marvel thing.

well, thanks for giving the perfect example to my earlier post

jey_16

Banned
I can only imagine it was similar with what happened with Interstellar. Nolan insisted that WB help make Interstellar.

Also, I think WB just really want to work with him. He turns his films in on time, under budget and they make a ton of money.

Didn't they give up some things to Paramount just to get in on Interstellar?

I think people are also forgetting the Nolan "entourage", the regulars he works with that collect award noms left and right. From his brother on adapted screenplays, his old cinematographer Pfister, and Zimmers on scores. These guys are good independently but they tend to be GREAT when they work with him. Hiring Nolan is like a package deal, which is why its harder for these guys that rack up big coin with a studio to find capital for their own projects.

SpotAnime

That's a damn persuasive OP.

This.

It also makes me sympathetic toward Whedon and him getting chewed up by the system, whereas Nolan was able to make his movies without the burden of studio intervention, ay least not the same degree applied to Marvel.

It makes me appreciate the Nolan Batman movies more, as they can be viewed by themselves and not part of some episodic cinematic universe.

And moreso, it makes me fearful of what Disney is going to do to Star Wars. I think this episodic approach and overarching universe will hurt film overall, because so many franchises and studios will buckle under its weight. Universal Monsters, MCU, DCU, Star Wars, King Kong/Godzilla, Spidey, X-Men, and I'm probably missing a few.

In the world of video games which we are familiar with, it's the equivalent of al studios doubling down on AAA games and blanketing the release calendar, to the point they all suffer and the bubble breaks, affecting all.

Warners has been known for awhile as one of the more filmmaker-friendly studios. That Nolan got more leeway and leverage once he scored them a solid success shouldn't be surprising. It's the same studio who let the Wachowskis do whatever they wanted for almost a decade straight after their last financial success. Say what you will about the studio's output, but they seem to be good with giving their directors the opportunity to make the films they want to make. What they do with that opportunity is (mostly) on them. Even within their meal-ticket series, like Harry Potter - filmmakers seem to get a little more freedom to make what they want to make. Cuaron's Harry Potter isn't much like Columbus' Harry Potter, and neither are much like David Yates'.

Marvel has succeeded largely because Feige/Perlmutter are essentially running Marvel like an old 1940s/1950s studio. Big fat package deals for actors, a cycle of journeyman directors, none of whom seem to make it past two films if that, safe, down the middle creative decisionmaking based on what's succeeding in the marketplace. Sell 'em the spectacle, and sell it hard. Part of the spectacle is the fact they've managed to harvest the "TV is better movies than movies" zeitgeist, and make their film series into an extended miniseries event with no end.

Basically, there are a lot of people on the internet who are operating with a sorta half-pieced together definition of Auteur Theory (which is broken anyway) and applying it to an executive (Kevin Feige) at the expense of the people who actually make the movies. The narrative that the suits care is a good one, and people want to believe that the suits are "one of them," even more than they want to believe the directors and the actors are "one of them". Because it's satisfying to believe the people in charge are people who identify with you, and it increases the rooting interest.

But the more you follow that narrative, the less the movie itself matters. It's less about whether the stories' potential is being maximized, and more like team sports.

Articles like this shine a light on the fact that when it comes down to it - they're still film executives, and there's always going to be a level of remove between the actual creatives, and the suits who pay them. And the director's level of freedom is tied, to some degree, with whether their creative intent matches up with what the executives are looking to exploit.

the dark knight (even still imperfect as hell) was a great, great film. but because of it, I feel as though the nolan batman films are overrated.

I think you're just mistaking "big finale" with 'Marvel Branding' or whatever you want to call it.

At the end of the day, a movie is a movie. I don't think anyone goes into a blockbuster movie in May expecting a movie breaking new grounds in story telling techniques. To argue about that being wrong is something ; to blame it as a big dumb Marvel movie is dumb.

Many movies finish with a big bang, and they're expensive and bit repetitive... but people want that. I want that in some of my movies.

Marvel has shown great restrain on TV and Netflix so far in term of scopes, because the medium allows it. They've already explored many genre throughout the super hero genre (Spy thriller in TWS, buddy comedy in IM3, Fantasy Epic in Thor 1, Space Opera with GotG, War movie with Captain America), which is something that hadn't been done or really explored before.

Whether you want it or not, it works and most movies are different.

It's not about breaking new ground, it's about every one of them having the exact same point where you can feel the movie lose all of what made it interesting to deliver the huge "few vs. many", tons-of-moving-pieces 30 minute set piece. The bigger the battles, the more you can feel the movie's personality slipping away as it becomes just another CG laden blockbuster climax. That's before even getting into how mediocre those finales are with the exception of The Hulk & Thor hilariously manhandling everything in The Avengers.

It doesn't matter how many styles they've explored when they all end in the same mess of twisted metal, explosions and massive airships colliding into things. I don't really care if that's "what works" in terms of making millions upon millions upon billions of dollars, all I care about is how my eyes glaze over in the home stretch (if not before) of all of these movies, particularly when they come from directors whose previous work I really enjoy. Can they really keep this going through phase 3 and 4, making the same movie over and over? I get that the Avengers have to be huge event movies, the premise is bringing a team together because of a monumental threat, but is it not possible to end a superhero movie on something other than a sky filled with objects that will eventually rain down in a hail of destruction? At this point I'm expecting Thanos to have an army of Clone Thanos' and Clone Thanos Ships hovering over LA before The Avengers stop him with a quip and Thor puts him in space jail. But wait for dat stinger doe.

Valhelm

contribute something
Nolan's movies have so many flaws but are ultimately a big step above Whedon's. I've enjoyed every Marvel movie except for Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, but each one is bogged down by pretty basic pacing and storytelling issues that Disney willfully ignores, because they sell like hotcakes. Marvel is so big and so successful that their movie formula will likely never change. Only Guardians of the Galaxy has managed to capture the charm and nuance of the original Iron Man, and that's probably just because it was written by a largely new team and not as factory-produced.

I feel like Nolan has been traditionally given a bit more artistic freedom by the studios than most other blockbuster directors are granted, because his films fit kind of a "dark and ponderous" niche. People might complain if a Thor film was that serious, but with Batman it works. Superman tried that, but they went too far in the right direction, as the film was a little bit too gritty and too serious, especially given the outright silliness of most of the Krypton stuff.

“I’m glad you could see this dramatic and Oscar-worthy scene that will no doubt be quoted for generations,” Whedon said minutes later in the director’s tent as the crew went through the final preparations to shoot the explosion. “‘Boom!’ children will say. ‘Boom!’”
Just then, Kevin Feige, Marvel Studios’ president and creative impresario, and Age of Ultron’s producer, stepped into the tent and sat behind Whedon. “Did you just get done telling him it’s not just about big explosions?” Feige said to his director.
“But in a character way!” Whedon joked back. “This is totally going to change Thor’s whole course. Thor 3 is going to be affected by this as well. I saw a truck blow up! I cannot live with that burden! I must go on a walkabout! I must have a journey!”

Marvel sucks, Feige sucks.

marrec

Banned
I think the most important thing is to get into another project relatively quickly. The longer he waits, the more expectations build and warp. I think that's one of the things I admire about Nolan- he never rests. He moved right into Inception from TDK and right into Interstellar after TDKR and just started working on something else.

As much as I give Nolan shit for his recent misses, he is making shit he wants to make and isn't resting on his laurels.

Of course, Whedon didn't rest either, pre-MCU. He just did it in a much smaller pond.

border

Nolan got to make "Batman" and "Batman Returns". He got in on the game early, and as such had a lot of creative control.

Whedon got to make "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin". He came late to the party and since so many wheels had already been set in motion and so many mandates about characters/villains to be included were already set, there wasn't a lot he could do but try to keep things from skidding out of control. And he did a pretty good job of it (certainly better than Shumacher).

HoJu

what?

what does this even.. mean?

all movies are producer controlled movies.

do you think that means directors bring nothing to the table?

you think Kevin Feige like.. comes up with plot points? or shots and framing?

only thing the dude did is listen to what people actually wanted and find the right people for the right jobs, then swim in money

errr i don't think that's what most producers do. that's what they should do, but they don't. i mean its not even like a secret that some movies are more producer driven then others, like blockbuster movies. the studios want to pander to the broader audience, when the creative wants to fulfill their vision. and marvel is known for being more controlling then others.

i'm sure that marvel gets these directors with the intention of them injecting their personality/voice into their work, but looking at their track record it doesn't seem to work out 100%.

Whedon talks about this in a age of ultron spoiler podcast where he wanted to do a scene which he thought was important, but Marvel said if he does, then they'll get rid of a different scene that was vital to the film.

Cuburt

People read way to much into Joss Whedon's sarcastic, self-deprecating humor.

It took me watching a few interviews to get it myself, but people have been taking quotes, then taking them completely out of context to attempt to decipher some hidden meaning behind them ever since AoU came out.

Obviously Joss was overworked and wasn't exactly happy about it, but from reading/hearing his interviews in the press run (including the quotes/articles in the OP), I get the impression that this wasn't Marvel cracking the whip and breaking his spirit, it was his self-imposed burden.

Just look at the quotes.

He's not saying he was an idiot for wanting to make a great movie and then having his hand forced to make something more marketable. Read the context of his quote, he is saying the burden of making the 3rd highest grossing movie of all time meant tons of expectations, not just from Marvel/Disney and his fans but himself. After years of work in TV, suddenly Avengers is what he becomes known for and it heaped him with praise of being a genius that he didn't get to ease into. He's not saying "Look at Avengers. There is failure. There is compromise." as if Marvel was making him do all this stuff. The context of the article is that he didn't get as much time with Avengers as he would have liked and with AoU, he had more time to do what he wanted to do. The compromise and failure is from being known for this huge film that neither he nor Marvel expected to be quiet as big as it became and suddenly that's his legacy as a director, a work that he doesn't feel was even his best, nor what represents what he could do as a director.

I think that's the most obvious impression I get. Joss wanted to top everything from Avengers not because he was mandated by Mickey Mouse but because he felt he could. He knew he could do better. People said the action scene were weak, he wanted to out do himself, especially as a comic book fan to bring to life the characters and the action in a way that respected the source. People said that Hawkguy was terrible or Hulk and Black Widow didn't get enough development or their own movies, he decides to give them the best treatment he can to make up for it. He chose Ultron as the Avengers villain that he wants to see the most. He already is developing this Tony and Steve personality clash because that is who these characters are, not just because Civil War is up soon. Luckily for fans, it works out perfectly.

Unfortunately, that all means that his desire to make the movie smaller, was outweighed by his desire to make a better film. His ambitions to make a movie "worthy" of being 3rd top grossing film of all time, to try to guess what made it popular, is enough to drive you mad. I've heard musician say it often as well if they have a hit song and they want to replicate their success, it can stifle your creativity by trying to live up to your legacy.

Nolan obviously has more experience as a film director and didn't have the burden of continuity on top of that but I don't believe that Nolan didn't feel the pressure of having to follow up The Dark Knight with The Dark Knight Rises. It suffers from many of the same pitfalls as AoU or just any sequel aiming to top itself.

With Avengers, Whedon may not have even tried as hard to weave all these different character together as people might think. It might have just been what how he would naturally try to write for all these character in an ensemble cast, give everyone a chance to shine and develop what each character would do. Suddenly that movie is a huge hit and expectations skyrocket through the roof and Joss may start to extend beyond his reach in trying to be the very best he could be.

Maybe Marvel did want him to make the movie smaller but due to the way Joss talks about it, the way he says he "lost the movie" and why he seems to believe cutting down the time so much is the best decision, I believe that somewhere along the line he must have started doing things to do it and forgot that developing Black Widow more or developing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch more, might not service the main story or the film enough and that it has to get cut to stop the pacing of the film feeling too uneven or bogged down. He comes from a TV background but he wants it to be a film and feel like a film, not have the critics rag on his film for being too much like TV. It's why he dreaded people saying they were excited to see what was next because not only does it mean that he failed making it feel unlike TV, in his mind, but he also didn't get rid of all the extemporaneous stuff that didn't support the main film. That's why it feel like they might have taken a machete to the film in the editing room at some points, because Joss wanted to make this huge film he made feel as streamlined has humanly possible.

I mean, think about it, this guy had an even bigger budget than last time, there seemed to be a lot of shots that got cut from just trailer footage and some stuff with effects work that was already done with whole action sequences that didn't make it. This guy could basically make whatever movie he wanted to and it was probably the lack of restrictions that caused him to go over board, rather than Marvel being some slave drivers, that caused him to be so stressed. James Gunn seemed to have been equally heavily involved in the whole process, but it seemed to be his own choice from saying how much he wrote for the outline, design document (which he said he practically came up with a book when they were asking for a few pages) to choosing to be very hands on with the music choice to working with the concept artist directly to working with the 3D conversion of GotG. And if you think about how big this opportunity is for guys like Joss or Gunn, it makes sense they want to give it their all to really put their stamp on these movies. That's why Joss sounds like he's actually proud of what he made:

“I’m now coming out the other side, realizing that once again, for all its many varied and soon to be heralded flaws, it’s my movie,” he said. “It’s the movie I set out to make. And I have the honor of saying, it’s fucking bonkers. So there’s that.”

That doesn't sound like the sentiment of a man who was forced to make a movie he didn't want to make. A man under a lot of pressure to deliver and on a very hectic, fastracked schedule, sure, but you are not going to be proud to put your name on a studio film that wasn't your own creation, a film that will inevitably be a reference point for your career that everything will be compared to.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think Nolan simply worked himself out a much better deal with WB in terms of creative control than Whedon ever had a chance of doing with Marvel in a comparable way. As much as Whedon may wish otherwise, his Avengers movies are absolutely part of a serialized film series. Nolan made each of his movies one at a time, each as a complete whole, as Whedon seems to have wanted to make his Avengers movies. But if that was the case, Whedon set himself up for failure simply by virtue of what the MCU is intended to be at its very core.

Basically it sounds like Whedon needs a break and then to work on his own stuff for a while. I have no doubts about the Russo brothers handling Infinity War, so bring on some original Joss properties.

Hold the fuck up. Why is OP trying to paint Batman Begins as Nolan's first studio foray?

Nolan made Insomnia for Warner Bros with fucking Al Pacino and Robin Williams on a $46m budget in 2002 money. This was after Memento.

Nolan is a more accomplished filmmaker than Whedon, because he's a better, more talented filmmaker than Whedon - no matter how much the quality of Nolan's films has slid in the past 7 years

Whedon's AoU was a step up from the first Avengers and his direction was much, much better, but his 'failures' ultimately boil down to him not being as talented as Nolan. Whedon's biggest failure is his inability to take responsibility for his failures. If he just accepted that he's a decent gun for hire director with a penchant for generic but marketable tentpole sluglines, then he might be able to sleep better.

what?

what does this even.. mean?

all movies are producer controlled movies.

do you think that means directors bring nothing to the table?

you think Kevin Feige like.. comes up with plot points? or shots and framing?

only thing the dude did is listen to what people actually wanted and find the right people for the right jobs, then swim in money

It is shown time and time again in 90 percent of posts about the MCU that people know almost nothing about how movies get made. That's why these threads are always so cringeworthy.

Hold the fuck up. Why is OP trying to paint Batman Begins as Nolan's first studio foray?

Nolan made Insomnia for Warner Bros with fucking Al Pacino and Robin Williams on a $46m budget in 2002 money. This was after Memento.

Nolan is a more accomplished filmmaker than Whedon, because he's a better, more talented filmmaker than Whedon - no matter how much the quality of Nolan's films has slid in the past 7 years

Whedon's AoU was a step up from the first Avengers and his direction was much, much better, but his 'failures' ultimately boil down to him not being as talented as Nolan. Whedon's biggest failure is his inability to take responsibility for his failures

True.
Nolan has a much better eye for a big frame, and just a better visual storyteller (no, that doesn't have to do with writing scripts).

The entire thing was a sad read. Sounds like Whedon envisioned some sort of introspective, cerebal lean that got into the "soul of the characters" and i think only 2 scenes got close to that. Poor dude, sounds completely burnt out.

LosDaddie

Banned
errr i don't think that's what most producers do. that's what they should do, but they don't. i mean its not even like a secret that some movies are more producer driven then others, like blockbuster movies. the studios want to pander to the broader audience, when the creative wants to fulfill their vision. and marvel is known for being more controlling then others.

i'm sure that marvel gets these directors with the intention of them injecting their personality/voice into their work, but looking at their track record it doesn't seem to work out 100%.

Whedon talks about this in a age of ultron spoiler podcast where he wanted to do a scene which he thought was important, but Marvel said if he does, then they'll get rid of a different scene that was vital to the film.

Thanks for this. I'm going to listen to it tomorrow.

Pilgrimzero

The last Bat film was sort of awful, and the first only slightly better. Second was great though.

Both Avengers have been awesome.

But opinions and all that

Guzim

Also, I think WB just really want to work with him. He turns his films in on time, under budget and they make a ton of money.

Didn't they give up some things to Paramount just to get in on Interstellar?
Yep, I believe WB gave Paramount back the rights of Friday the 13th and South Park.

Cuburt

If he didn't want to make serialized movies, then Marvel was definitely the wrong place to be. Must have been frustrating being the banner man of something you'd rather not do.

To be fair, when he first got involved, the MCU is not close the what it has become now.

He was under a 3 year contract after the Avengers and the sequel was part of the deal as far as I know.

HoJu

just by examining the products, there is nothing in the Mission Impossible series or Nolan Batman trilogy that makes me think "this seems out of place" or something being there for the sake of setting up another movie.

look all of Iron Man 2 or some of Guardians. too much time spent on setting on future installments which lessened the films as a whole. just by watching the movies you can tell. and of course the whole act 3 shootbang thing.

Caboose

Nolan came along when WB had no clue what the fuck to do with their superheroes. Whedon came into a studio firing on all cylinders. Not exactly shocking what happened.

Tobor

I enjoy the Marvel cinematic universe more than Nolans Batman movies. Both Avengers and GotG especially. Maybe I'm in a minority, but I feel like the Marvel movies embrace their comic book origins a bit more. Or at least for me they feel more fun, and I find that entertaining.

Yeah. It's a truer distillation of the source material. Nolans first two batman films are great, but given the choice of which to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon in the future, I'm going to pick Avengers or AoU. They're far more enjoyable.

TDKR on the other hand is a shit sandwich. I don't ever want to see that mess again.

None of the Marvel directors have even been given the opportunity to make something as ambitious as The Dark Knight Rises, and fail at doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom