• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seems like Nolan got the better deal than Whedon on superhero movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

They tried with Wonder Woman about a decade back. Creative Differences reared their ugly heads.

Wasn't there an element of the execs getting jittery at a female-led action film, too? Attitudes are a lot different these days, but that was a very real problem back then.

Damn Marvel for tying Whedon's artistic, savant-like hands. If it weren't for them we could have gotten a film as well-written and directed as that one Whedon film/script that everybody remembers.

Dude made a modern-day Shakespeare indie in black and white. Obviously the sky is the artistic limit when Marvel isn't involved.

wachie

I think the difference is Whedon's workload was a lot more. Nolan didn't have the same load and didn't have the as much MCU formula to stick to. In a way, I feel bad for Whedon just like I felt bad for Raimi on Spidey 3. The studio intervention can just fuck themselves.

HoJu

Damn Marvel for tying Whedon's artistic, savant-like hands. If it weren't for them we could have gotten a film as well-written and directed as that one Whedon film/script that everybody remembers.

Dude made a modern-day Shakespeare indie in black and white. Obviously the sky is the artistic limit when Marvel isn't involved.
Buffy is a great television show

Sean

Banned
Marvel has kinda proven that audiences don't give a shit about who directed a movie, it's all about which superheroes appear in the movie.

For example I'm not convinced that hiring the Russo brothers was a stroke of brilliance or anything. Marvel probably thought 'these guys are working on a niche TV sitcom, we can get em for dirt cheap and they'll obey us since this is their big break. And if they fuck up, who cares? It's Captain America, has a built-in audience that will see it regardless!' Winter Soldier turning out great was more of a happy accident.

It doesn't sound like any fun working on a Marvel movie. Imagine finishing the script for Civil War and then Marvel calling up the next day saying we gotta put Spider-Man in here now, go do rewrites. Stuff like that probably happens all the time in the MCU.

Effect

Wasn't there an element of the execs getting jittery at a female-led action film, too? Attitudes are a lot different these days, but that was a very real problem back then.

WB also has a new president compared to then as well. He's the one that has been pushing for WB to really use more of the DC properties and across different media. Things could be different if Whedon were to work with WB, if both wanted to of course.

Kimosabae

Banned

Seriously, I'm fucking baffled by this thread and I love Whedon.

People are really just gonna run with a black and white narrative of Marvel being the bad guys here?

Cuburt

just by examining the products, there is nothing in the Mission Impossible series or Nolan Batman trilogy that makes me think "this seems out of place" or something being there for the sake of setting up another movie.

look all of Iron Man 2 or some of Guardians. too much time spent on setting on future installments which lessened the films as a whole. just by watching the movies you can tell. and of course the whole act 3 shootbang thing.

What about side stories in films that don't have much to do with the main plot. Often developing a character's backstory may serve no purpose to the story besides letting the audience in on a few details that let you in on who that person is.

What about JGL's character who figured out Bruce Wayne is Batman when he visited his orphanage and he later reveals his real name is Robin and discover's the Batcave? Couldn't that be seen as an underdeveloped character just put in there to set up a sequel if that was in the context of the MCU or rather DCCU?

It's all about perspective, if someone that doesn't get something in AoU that hasn't seen many Marvel movies, they assume it's a reference to the comics or other movies. If people who have seen some of the movies don't understand something it must be some sort of set up for a sequel. If it happens in other movies it may be a unresolved thread, a plot hole, or just taken for granted as world building.

Like if you see a fantasy film or a sci-fi film and people refer to events and locations that you don't know, it doesn't have to directly tie into the plot. It doesn't have to be set up for a sequel.

aerts1js

DKR was terrible.... made me have no desire to watch the trilogy again anytime soon but I've only seen the first avengers once in theaters.. it was a lot of fun but sort of.. shallow I guess? Haven't seen the second one yet.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Whedon chuckled bitterly. “Somebody said, ‘Well, that was a great setup for the next thing!’ in one of the test screenings, and I died inside. [Marvel executives] were like, ‘No! They say that all the time, it’s fine.’ I was like, ‘No, that’s the worst thing I could have heard.’ I want people to come out feeling done.”

Ouch, that must have hurt a lot. But as some has said, it was his self imposed criticism. Maybe with this he can try better stuff on his own terms, without having to worry about 5 movies ahead.

I've yet to see the movie, but I'm surprised to see articles like this one this fast.

Anyway, awesome thread Messo. You're awesome.

Yeah forreal I fucking loved captain america 2 until the ending battle which you could literally replace with the gotg finale and nobody would prolly bat an eye.

Marvel loves their everything but the kitchen sink final battles even tho they all just look kinda stale after james Cameron kind of put his claim on the Aerial/Land cgi action-fest

As problematic as nolan movies can be (and his flaws can sometimes be apparent in the TDK trilogy too, certainly in the last one) they are so much better made and exciting than what marvel's given us post-iron man 1. They've gone with a sort of cartoon vibe with their universe, has a villain ever been genuinely terrifying or threatening among these movies? It works though to get the majority of the audience, and also the fans of the books like seeing infinity gems and stuff

As a big Marvel fan in general and enjoy most of their cinematic universe I must say this is the one thing I'm disappointed in regarding their universe. Loki and Winter Solider (in some regards) (honorable mentions to pierce & abomination) are only decent villains with Kingpin being the only great one among their universe it's a major problem. Ultron had moments
including his introduction and when he cut off Klaws arm that was great moment to show how dangerous and angry he could be
but they never went all the way there and instead play up how humorous he could be. Marvel has some of the best villains in comics and so far they've wasted Red Skull, Mandarin, Ronan, Malekith and others they need to make sure their villains are as memorable as the heroes headlining this movies in order to continue to improve.

hamchan

Whedon was lucky Marvel placed a lot of faith in him and handed him the keys to the kingdom in the first place considering his history of missing bombas.

And yeah you can tell what a huge mess Avengers 2 was to make by the end product. The thing really did need to have a longer run time.

Given how utterly unambitious and generic everything in A2 was it is not a big achievement. I rather failures like TDKR then generic attempts like A2.

You have a good point, but I disagree.

TDKR was a complete failure on every front, especially when it came to being enjoyable.

A2 WAS ambitious. It was also incredibly enjoyable and did at least reach for something more, though not quite making it. The cuts were very evident. I think we'll have a very different movie on blu ray. Can't say that about TDKR, which was more pretentious than ambitious to me.

BBboy20

As a big Marvel fan in general and enjoy most of their cinematic universe I must say this is the one thing I'm disappointed in regarding their universe. Loki and Winter Solider (in some regards) (honorable mentions to pierce & abomination) are only decent villains with Kingpin being the only great one among their universe it's a major problem. Ultron had moments
including his introduction and when he cut off Klaws arm that was great moment to show how dangerous and angry he could be
but they never went all the way there and instead play up how humorous he could be. Marvel has some of the best villains in comics and so far they've wasted Red Skull, Mandarin, Ronan, Malekith and others they need to make sure their villains are as memorable as the heroes headlining this movies in order to continue to improve.
I wonder if cynics are already taking bets Yellowjacket will be forgotten going by impressions from the recent Ant-Man trailer.

BadAss2961

Hope somebody at WB/DC gives him a project. DC films could use a little Whedon touch.
No. These blockbusters are driving him mad. He can't hack it anymore. Plus he's not very good at this, and he couldn't make it any clearer that he knows it. For admitting so, I give him credit.

It's also pretty interesting that it finally took this movie for people to see through the Marvel bullshit. I appreciate that Joss isn't afraid of talking about it in interviews and concurrently been honest about his own failures.

hamchan

Also I think Nolan might be the most blessed director in Hollywood in general right now.

He gets massive budgets to make his films that he always wanted to make about dream thieves and space sci fi epics, stuff you wouldn't normally expect to be huge money earners, but then they do earn massive money so he can keep making more and more.

Well, that and being extremely profits motivated, even more so then other studios. Marvel under Perlmutter literally means there's a chance Whedon had to pay for his own coffee.

I would say its not even in question. Perlmutter wouldn't even foot the bill for complimentary crisps at the Iron Man 1 premiere.

Blader

For example I'm not convinced that hiring the Russo brothers was a stroke of brilliance or anything. Marvel probably thought 'these guys are working on a niche TV sitcom, we can get em for dirt cheap and they'll obey us since this is their big break. And if they fuck up, who cares? It's Captain America, has a built-in audience that will see it regardless!' Winter Soldier turning out great was more of a happy accident.

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Was their low price tag probably an allure for Marvel? Yes. Did Feige and co. throw darts at a board of names and decide to hand over one of their biggest properties to whoever it randomly landed on? Fuck no. They made a pitch -- by their account, several pitches with storyboards -- about why their sensibilities fit, and had a track record of accomplished TV credit that covered both comedy and action.

And I'm quite sure "if they fuck up, who cares?" has never once been a part of the thought process. Marvel is frequently touted as a well-oiled machine that churns out one successful $200+ million dollar movie every six-ish months. You don't achieve that level of productivity and that level of success by not giving a fuck about who you're hiring or what kind of job they're doing. That kind of mindset very quickly backfires and throws a hell of a wrench into the well-oiled machine. There's nothing coincidental about it.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

This is almost as good as Whedon snark. Almost.

Cartman86

Banned
The criticism of Black Widow in Avengers is really fucking unfortunate. What is on the page is largely what matters, but when criticizing someone personally you move into the territory where you should probably do at least a little research. if you had you would find out that Scarlett was pregnant and they had to rework the film. A billion dollar film he had to get done on a deadline. At least thats the nicest I can be toward this. If they are talking about the "child" scene there is nothing I can say as you missed the entire point of this scene. Hell I heard someone sitting in front of me in my showing exclaim out loud "What do you mean she's a monster!?!"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
The criticism of Black Widow in Avengers is really fucking unfortunate. What is on the page is largely what matters, but when criticizing someone personally you move into the territory where you should probably do at least a little research. if you had you would find out that Scarlett was pregnant and they had to rework the film. A billion dollar film he had to get done on a deadline.

She was my favorite character in the entire movie, easy. People really are crazy sometimes.

Penguin

Also I think Nolan might be the most blessed director in Hollywood in general right now.

He gets massive budgets to make his films that he always wanted to make about dream thieves and space sci fi epics, stuff you wouldn't normally expect to be huge money earners, but then they do earn massive money so he can keep making more and more.

This is why I think Nolan got a "Better deal"

Warner has and continues to want to keep him happy

And he keeps making them bank

Toa TAK

Banned
I think Nolan got lucky in his timing for being involved in the Batman movies when he joined.

Marvel didn't have their money making cinematic universe until Iron Man in 2008 (lol barely), and he was able to get Begins and TDK by then. Plus, I don't think WB realized how much bank they could make with their own heroes until The Avengers came out later, and at that time TDKR came out and Nolan was able to complete his story.

I'm sure if things were different, Nolan would never have been able to tell the Batman stories he did if he were to bend over to a studio like Marvel, or if WB was really intent on making things connect for their cinematic universe.

Anyways, great OP. I'm reading through the linked articles now.

Monocle

Whedon did an outstanding job considering what he had to work with and the countless ways it all could have gone wrong, balancing his own very strong creative sensibility with the crushing demands of Marvel and fan expectations. Making two highly entertaining films with ensemble casts that simultaneously work as standalone adventures and parts of a vast interconnected series is a mind blowing achievement, one I honestly wasn't sure he'd be able to pull off. And yet his films both ended up near the top of the pile of quality Marvel movies.

Whedon was the right person to direct Avengers 1 and 2. He did good work.

inm8num2

I'm a card-carrying Nolan fanboy. His Batman trilogy clicks on all levels - gravitas, blockbuster action, character drama, cultural/social/political relevance, etc.

I respect the hell out of Whedon as well. Haven't seen AoU yet, but what Whedon did for the MCU cannot be understated.

Ultimately the distinction between each filmmaker's end result seems to come down to the big picture. Nolan more or less had creative control over his films and was able to create a standalone trilogy. Whedon was working in a larger sandbox and Marvel's demands for their bigger picture, so in some ways his films might not be able to stand out as much in the overall MCU timeline/universe.

People probably get tired of me posting this in related threads, but I just love Spielberg's comments on Nolan's Batman films (go to 4:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r69N56plrDE

Ahasverus

I rather failures like TDKR then generic attempts like A2.
Preach. Well, kinda, I liked A2 because there was a semblance of soul once in a while, Hawkguy saved the movie.

Talking about Perlmutter, is there really only ONE picture of him in the entire internet? For real?

guek

Banned
Given how utterly unambitious and generic everything in A2 was it is not a big achievement. I rather failures like TDKR then generic attempts like A2.

You keep making these kinds of snarky comments like they're universally accepted when they're not. Repeating your opinion over and over again doesn't somehow make it widely accepted fact.

You keep making these kinds of snarky comments like they're universally accepted when they're not. Repeating your opinion over and over again doesn't somehow make it widely accepted fact.

this thread more than most should allow for subjective opinions tho, no matter how repeated they are

I view the MCU project as a collaborative effort. Obviously Joss isn't going to get his say in how the movie turns out. None of the Directors will have their final say, but I still see it as a unique and interesting idea.

guek

Banned
this thread more than most should allow for subjective opinions tho, no matter how repeated they are

Absolutely, but saying AoU was generic and unambitious is a pretty lazy criticism when the film's biggest shortcomings are a product of unchecked ambition creating an overstuffed film. You can't start a discussion by building on questionable statements like they're facts.

By all means, argue Whedon should never return to blockbusters because he has difficulty juggling such massive projects. At least that has some basis in reality and isn't just an excuse to parrot distaste for a movie.

Kimosabae

Banned
I view the MCU project as a collaborative effort. Obviously Joss isn't going to get his say in how the movie turns out. None of the Directors will have their final say, but I still see it as a unique and interesting idea.

Pretty much this, I can't believe some of the attitudes expressed in here.

But to date he's had to do the 1 for 1 trade with the studio every time he's wanted to make a film for himself. Prestige so long as he returned for TDK. Inception so long as he returned for TDKR.

Insterstellar was a well-developed project long before he wanted to make it.

Cameron most blessed right now. Dude was given free reign to make an original sci-fi universe of his own creation and is given literally all the time he wants in the world to keep developing it.

No other director is going to be given 8 years by a studio waiting to cash in on the highest grossing film of all time.

Toa TAK

Banned
I'm a card-carrying Nolan fanboy. His Batman trilogy clicks on all levels - gravitas, blockbuster action, character drama, cultural/social/political relevance, etc.

I respect the hell out of Whedon as well. Haven't seen AoU yet, but what Whedon did for the MCU cannot be understated.

Ultimately the distinction between each filmmaker's end result seems to come down to the big picture. Nolan more or less had creative control over his films and was able to create a standalone trilogy. Whedon was working in a larger sandbox and Marvel's demands for their bigger picture, so in some ways his films might not be able to stand out as much in the overall MCU timeline/universe.

People probably get tired of me posting this in related threads, but I just love Spielberg's comments on Nolan's Batman films (go to 4:30).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r69N56plrDE
Good interview by the way.

Also, I can't say enough how Whedon doing Avengers was as close to perfect as you can come to getting the right guy to pen and direct this assembly of heroes. It's gonna be something different alright when Infinity Wars comes out. But at the same time, I think he made the right choice. I can't see Whedon handling so many characters and set-up without sacrificing the smaller character moments. Age of Ultron somehow was able to get some in there in-between all the action (and I found myself still wishing for more scenes like the Farmhouse but for Ultron and the twins).

HariKari

His movies generally finish early and come in under budget, then make a ton of money. That has a lot to do with him getting the projects he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom