• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

mclem

I'm glad I waited but I would hate to be the fan who supported each of their releases only to feel more and more screwed. Bought all the eShop games but want Power Drift and PuyoPuyo 2? Buy the Collection even when you have most of the games! Want Power Drift and PuyoPuyo 2 digitally and with enhanced features? Buy them again! Woo!

I love the effort put into these games, but the release format so far for the new stuff leaves much to be desired.

Yeah, I'm somewhat inclined to agree, because that may have been what I'd done... if I wasn't in Europe so had no guarantee of the Collection anyway!

I think what they should have done - and I believe it's possible with their infrastructure - is given the option to buy the collection digitally, in such a way that you get a discount on the collection for each game within the collection that you already own. That way it doesn't feel as unfair, and Sega doesn't lose out because since we're talking digital, it's not like you can pass on the 'old copies' either.

Opa-Pa

I bought the physical collection despite owning the majority of the digital releases included mostly to support that kind of release and collecting purposes but... I can't say I don't feel at least slightly stupid now lol. Thanks Sega.

AmyS

Sega Model3 Classics on NX would be a dream come true. Play them on the go or on HDTV.

The 20th anniversary of Virtua Fighter 3 is approaching. Not sure of the exact date but it is in September.

Please Tweet this to M2.

frL0k76.png

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

I dig Puyo Puyo 2 and most likely Power Drift happening standalone but I almost feel inclined to get the compilation just to have those 3D SMS games.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

So happy the exclusives are being released seperately. The previous model just frustrated me, and I have been buying all of the 3D classics releases on day 1.

They should reward die hard fans, not punish them.

Espiox

It's cool that they've added new content, but I'm a little bummed that the ones in the physical collection aren't the definitive versions now.

Hopefully Puyo 2 and the likely Power Drift re-release end up coming to Europe. I'd probably buy the Western eShop versions to complement my Japanese boxed releases.

Also, I love the Fantasy Zone 2 instructions at the bottom of the new page: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/fz2/index.shtml

Raitaro

Always happy to see this thread re-appear on page 1 :)

Rise from your gwave!

3D Puyo Puyo 2 is coming to eShop as a standalone game in Japan next week (August 3rd) featuring a new Tournament mode that wasn't in the Archives 2 version: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/puyo2/index.shtml

And they've just totally overhauled the 3D Classics website too, so probably more to come? 3D Power Drift standalone seems like a no-brainer, but there's totally room in the side menu for a third Archives logo...

Ok, this would be really cool if comes true. Wish list time? Wish list time!

- Turbo Outrun
- Outrunners
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Revenge of Shinobi
- Shadow Dancer (which version though, arcade or Genesis?)
- AB Cop
- Revenge of Death Adder
- Model 3 games?
- Chase H.Q. (just license it from Taito, Sega, you know you want to...pretty please?)

It's cool that they've added new content, but I'm a little bummed that the ones in the physical collection aren't the definitive versions now.

Hopefully Puyo 2 and the likely Power Drift re-release end up coming to Europe. I'd probably buy the Western eShop versions to complement my Japanese boxed releases.

Also, I love the Fantasy Zone 2 instructions at the bottom of the new page: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/fz2/index.shtml

Are we sure they couldn't update the physical version via a patch though? It's less common compared to console games getting updates but there have been cases where they did this for 3DS games, no? Otherwise I agree that the physical version will become somewhat obsolete if it is left out of the update loop.

@MUWANdo

Banned

The Monster World series has been my "pipe dream," but hey, maybe Sega would want to capitalize on there being TWO indie successors coming out soon.

MacTag

Banned
My dream picks:

Wave 3
Power Drift (AC)
Puyo Puyo Tsu (AC)
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (AC)
Streets of Rage 3 (MD)
Dynamite Headdy (MD)
LandStalker: The Treasures of King Nole (MD)
Ranger-X (MD)
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (MD)

Wave 4
Virtua Racing (AC)
Virtua Fighter (AC)
Monster World IV (MD)
Alien Soldier (MD)
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium (MD)
Lightening Force: Quest for the Dark Star (MD)
Ristar (MD)
Sonic CD (MD)

bman94

I really want Power Drift stand alone so I don't have to buy that compilation.

I really want them to do 3D classics of their 3D games. I want Virtua Fighter Remix/2, Daytona USA, Virtua Racing, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoon, Fighting Vipers, Burning Rangers. All the games they've neglected over years and wants us to forget about for some reason.

Opa-Pa

i just want Collection vol 2 to hit stateside, or basically 1 from JP that we call 2

also, more arcade games please!

For real. I own every game in that one but more people need to experience Fantasy Zone, OutRun on the 3DS, and I mean, the rest is Streets of Rage, Space Harrier, Ecco and Shinobi 3. It's pure gold all around.

Intel_89

European sale starts this thursday:

3D Fantasy Zone
3D Gunstar Heroes
3D Out Run
3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
3D Space Harrier
3D Streets of Rage
3D Streets of Rage 2
3D Super Hang-On

2,45€ each, they usually cost 4,99€.

D.Lo

European sale starts this thursday:

3D Fantasy Zone
3D Gunstar Heroes
3D Out Run
3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
3D Space Harrier
3D Streets of Rage
3D Streets of Rage 2
3D Super Hang-On

2,45€ each, they usually cost 4,99€.
thanks for the tip, I grabbed the only one I was missing (Streets of Rage 2).

retroman

So, I checked the EU eShop today and there were updates available for the following titles:

Altered Beast
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone II
Out Run
Thunder Blade

The Out Run and Fantasy Zone updates have been available for a while, but I think the others are new. I have no idea what any of the updates actually do.

RedToad64

So, I checked the EU eShop today and there were updates available for the following titles:

Altered Beast
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone II
Out Run
Thunder Blade

The Out Run and Fantasy Zone updates have been available for a while, but I think the others are new. I have no idea what any of the updates actually do.
Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

retroman

Lots of SEGA games will be on sale March 2nd!

SEGA 3D Classics Collection (SEGA, €20.09 / £16.74 until 9th March, normally €29.99 / £24.99)
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX (SEGA, €19.99 / £14.99 until 9th March, normally €39.99 / £29.99)
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (SEGA, €22.49 / £19.99 until 9th March, normally €44.99 / £39.99)
Super Monkey Ball 3D (SEGA, €9.99 / £7.49 until 9th March, normally €19.99 / £14.99)
3D After Burner II (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Altered Beast (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Ecco the Dolphin (SEGA, €2.24 / £2.04 until 9th March, normally €4.49 / £4.09)
3D Fantasy Zone (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Fantasy Zone 2 (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Galaxy Force 2 (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Gunstar Heroes (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Out Run (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Space Harrier (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Streets of Rage (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Streets of Rage 2 (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Super Hang-On (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)
3D Thunder Blade (SEGA, €2.49 / £2.24 until 9th March, normally €4.99 / £4.49)

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/nintendo_download_2nd_march_europe

Sho Nuff

Banned
Volume 3 is out for 3DS in Japan now and I see it on the shelves here, and I can't play it because the 3DS is region locked and GOOD JOB NINTENDO THERE'S ADDITIONAL SHO NUFF MONEY YOU WON'T BE ENJOYING

(Flips table, goes to eat kanazawa curry instead)

Volume 3 is out for 3DS in Japan now and I see it on the shelves here, and I can't play it because the 3DS is region locked and GOOD JOB NINTENDO THERE'S ADDITIONAL SHO NUFF MONEY YOU WON'T BE ENJOYING

(Flips table, goes to eat kanazawa curry instead)

It's funny cuz I'm sure all 3 collections could fit on one cart. Hopefully it comes to the west in that way.

Do these games have region toggles like the PS3 SEGA ports by M2 had?
I know it's the worst version, but I grew up on PAL Sonic 1, and the NTSC version has always felt off to me.

Do these games have region toggles like the PS3 SEGA ports by M2 had?
I know it's the worst version, but I grew up on PAL Sonic 1, and the NTSC version has always felt off to me.

I don't have my 3DS with me at the moment, but IIRC you can only choose between the Japanese and US version of Sonic.

Top Bottom