• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

D.Lo

But there is no perfect way to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on a handheld yet. Sonic CD, too. I would love to still get them. Also, I'm from Europe, so there actually is no other way as good as playing 3D Sonic 2 available without import. 50Hz...
I don't really care about it being on a handheld myself, in fact I'd prefer a console release if possible for a better audio experience if nothing else - but the 3DS is a rare exception because of the 3D screen for games that benefit from 3D.

But when it comes to classic games, I vastly prefer to play games on the original hardware over emulation wherever possible. That is super-easy for Sonic, and near impossible for Galaxy Force II or Power Drift. As such, the value for these outstanding releases of arcade games (and new releases like FZ2) have great value to me, as the ultimate sub-$1K way to play them, while the console games have only cursory value.

FYI, a 60Hz mod on a PAL Mega Drive 1, if using RGB, can be done in literally three minutes including disassembly and reassembly. Cut one trace on the board, done (no need for a switch to keep that 50Hz crap around). Sonic 1 and 2 will play perfectly ;)

fiiiiiiiinally got my copy of archives 2 in. power drift looks amazing in 3d. really haven't touched this game before and i'm having a good time with it.

i'm sure it's gonna be released in the west eventually, it'll totally be worth it.

zmet

fiiiiiiiinally got my copy of archives 2 in. power drift looks amazing in 3d. really haven't touched this game before and i'm having a good time with it.

i'm sure it's gonna be released in the west eventually, it'll totally be worth it.
That's great news! It's one of my favorite arcade racers, and the only reason I boot up my Dreamcast ever so often.

Espiox

Mine arrived today too! It's pretty much as good as you'd expect. Another fantastic job by M2, and even better than the original Archives.

Anyone think to translate the messages that pop up when you unlock Fantasy Zone 1? I skipped over them before I thought about it.

zmet

Yup! It's included on the Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol.1 disc along with Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner II, and Out Run. There's even a secret options mode in the game to change all the game text to English (hold the A button and then press start after the Power Drift boots up). It's kinda rare and expensive at the moment (so glad I got mine when it was first released).

https://youtu.be/5zT7qJvFm1g

Espiox

I tried to find a copy of Game Works in Japan last year, to no avail :(

Still loving Archives 2. Power Drift is hard! So is Puyo Puyo, but I've always been terrible at those.

deadfolk

Yup! It's included on the Yu Suzuki Game Works Vol.1 disc along with Hang-On, Space Harrier, After Burner II, and Out Run. There's even a secret options mode in the game to change all the game text to English (hold the A button and then press start after the Power Drift boots up). It's kinda rare and expensive at the moment (so glad I got mine when it was first released).

Dayum!

I just realized that 3d classic Sonic 2 sounds dull and muffled compared to Sonic 1. Why? Is its sound more compressed? Sound fxs are lifeless with high highs apparently cut off, it just miss sparkle and dynamics. Also, volume is waay lower, I adjusted in the options to +4 in Sonic 2 and -1 in Sonic 1 to have them about leveled.

I made experiments with my default portable sound setup, which is made of a Fiio E11k amplifier and a Sony mdr7506 headphone, I hadn't noticed this before because when played singularly I just rotated the amp knob at the desired level, but it's apparent when played one after the other.

Edit: upon further experiments, the Megadrive1 psg emulation in Sonic 2 sounds better and louder, more akin to how Megadrive2 psg emulation sounds in Sonic 1, with meatier bass and sparklier highs and just overall better volume and dynamics... Maybe they inadvertedly reversed the selection options? I'd need to ask to some enthusiast with still the original hardware set up...

Edit 2: for those interested, I found a crazy dissertation on various Megadrive models sound comparison:
http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/blogs/entry/118-everything-you-wanted-to-know-and-didnt-care-about-genesis-audio-part-1/
Seems to confirm that MD1 has clearer sound output, don't know if and how it reflects in emulation, though.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized that 3d classic Sonic 2 sounds dull and muffled compared to Sonic 1. Why? Is its sound more compressed? Sound fxs are lifeless with high highs apparently cut off, it just miss sparkle and dynamics. Also, volume is waay lower, I adjusted in the options to +4 in Sonic 2 and -1 in Sonic 1 to have them about leveled.

I made experiments with my default portable sound setup, which is made of a Fiio E11k amplifier and a Sony mdr7506 headphone, I hadn't noticed this before because when played singularly I just rotated the amp knob at the desired level, but it's apparent when played one after the other.

I don't know what happened... The "SEEE-GAAAAAA" voice sounds terrible when you boot the game too.

IrishNinja

ugh, this was high on my want-list forever, never could find it for a good price - i'd kill to have the book translated too!

also, every attempt to find a copy of that disc online has failed, i think its current state is emulator-only, sadly

ghibli99

I don't know how many times my fragile nerves can handle this thread being bumped without a Power Drift Western release confirmation...
My thoughts exactly! :(

Interesting about the Sonic 2 music. I felt the same way about Shinobi III's sound. Seemed really muffled compared to Sonic 1 and SoR1/2.

On one hand I wonder why we haven't gotten patches for Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and Sonic 2 to match the JP archives releases. Like, how much work could that be?

On the other hand I'm happy to have these at all.

I should grab the archive releases just in case I ever come across a cheap JP 3DS.

Espiox

On one hand I wonder why we haven't gotten patches for Space Harrier, Super Hang-On and Sonic 2 to match the JP archives releases. Like, how much work could that be?

Space Harrier is the only one of those three that's in an Archives release, and they said they can't/won't patch the eShop version because the save data would be incompatible or something.

orient

Neo Member
Are the classic console themes available in AU? Couldn't find them last time I looked. Also would love to play Power Drift - it looks like sprite-scaling heaven.

AmyS

That's something that happens in the original game, in case you didn't know, and it's not the only one in the game...

Actually I didn't know, or maybe I saw it once but totally forgot.

Edit:

:3 :3 :3
Please Sega, EU/US please!

Somehow I didn't know this!
We HAVE to get this game.

Yeah we do. I am terrible at using twitter and social media in general, but if someone gets a petition going, I'll be more than happy to sign it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Eeeehhhhh, I don't have the desire to spend $30 for just Power Drift (& maybe Maze Walker). I don't suppose Sega will make it digital down the line when that's how I own the other games.

Now if I didn't own the games already, heck yeah I'd get it.

IrishNinja

Neo Samus

Wow, people are having a shit fit on the announcement page...

I'm going to pick up the collection, as I only have a few of those games digitally so it is worth the price.

Wow, people are having a shit fit on the announcement page...

I'm going to pick up the collection, as I only have a few of those games digitally so it is worth the price.

To be expected as thier fanbase are locked out of a title they want unless they double dip and buy a cart. If it was all the 3D games and both the cart extras it would be more reasonable.

mclem

To be expected as thier fanbase are locked out of a title they want unless they double dip and buy a cart. If it was all the 3D games and both the cart extras it would be more reasonable.

As I mentioned over in the announcement thread, in principle it's quite possible for Sega to offer a discount on the price of the eShop version of the Collection based on whether you already own other 3D Classics titles.

Whether they will or not's another matter, of course, but it's within their capability.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Eeeehhhhh, I don't have the desire to spend $30 for just Power Drift (& maybe Maze Walker). I don't suppose Sega will make it digital down the line when that's how I own the other games.

Now if I didn't own the games already, heck yeah I'd get it.

I hope that Power Drift is released individually, but if not I will pay $30. There are some games in the collection that I don't have yet.

AmyS

I hope that Power Drift is released individually, but if not I will pay $30. There are some games in the collection that I don't have yet.

I'm just happy it's actually coming out here, unlike the Sega Ages Saturn and Dreamcast Yu Suzuki Game Works versions.

Espiox

Top Bottom