• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

IrishNinja

I just had to do this.

l4Y6Jqz.gif

haha yessss

Altered Beast Defense Force

no

AmyS

Altered Beast Defense Force

Not so much. More about showing people who haven't seen the difference between arcade and Genesis, see that difference. I'd say the vast majority of people's memories of the game are of the Genesis/ Mega Drive version.

The size of the sprites, color, animation, graphical effects, sound, title screen and ending.

Another thing, on precisely the same hardware (System 16B) and released just a year later (1989) by Success, a wonderful game that pushed the platform much further, Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams.

60fps playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQ2ZfxYGk0

A cute 'em up that's much more of a traditional shump and much darker than Sega's own Fantasy Zone. This would've been a wonderful choice for 3DS. The game never got ported to Genesis but there were Sharp X68000 and PS1 versions that were arguably just as good as the arcade (though not identical).

We often talk about home consoles and handhelds that get better & better software as devs learn to push the hardware more. That's often not mentioned with arcade platforms.
1991's Cotton blows away 1986's Fantasy Zone (yeah FZ was on System 16A, while Cotton was on 16B but there's not a huge difference in hardware between the two).

Cotton is more on par with M2's remake of Fantasy Zone II (on extended System 16 hardware BTW).

I feel that it's these older sprite based games that end up making the best use of Nintendo's 3D tech in 3DS.

Tizoc

Is the reason the Arcade ver. of AB not being available on more systems due to the religious imagery in the cutscenes?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Is the reason the Arcade ver. of AB not being available on more systems due to the religious imagery in the cutscenes?
Those exist in the MD version as well
the reason M2 chose the MD version as the basis for the 3DS version is the parallax scrolling

AmyS

Nope.

Those exist in the MD version as well
the reason M2 chose the MD version as the basis for the 3DS version is the parallax scrolling

That's exactly the reason.

Regarding 3D Power Drift, if the west can get 3DS Dragon Quest VII, why certainly it should be no problem for Sega to localize a simple arcade game with hardly any text. -This is the year all of our dreams came true, afterall :)

Also: 3D Power Drift Has A New Difficulty Level And Moving Cabinet Display Option

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/0...ulty-level-and-moving-cabinet-display-option/
The original Power Drift had Easy, Normal, Hard, and Hardest options, all determined by the car a player chose at the beginning of the game. 3D Power Drift will have an Easiest option. People will also be able to choose between automatic and manual control options, with people also able to decide if they want aided handling that helps keep the car on the track.

Another 3D Power Drift detail has to do with how the game looks. In addition to 3D effects and four screen options, the cabinet screen option will allow people to choose whether or not they would like a moving cabinet. This will remove the stereoscopic 3D, but will give the impression a player is actually at the arcade cabinet playing the game by showing it moving along with the player.

Like 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and other Sega 3D Classics games, 3D Power Drift will also allow a player to save anywhere. Player could start a course, consisting of 5 tracks from the 25 available, and choose to save between races or laps.

sörine

Banned
From what I've read 3D Power Drift already has a full english option, there's not much localization needed really. Dunno if 3D Puyo Puyo Tsuu does as well but I hope so.

As far as I'm concerned we're getting 3D Power Drift sometime next year, if not 3D Puyo Puyo Tsu. The former's accessible, is impressive already for a game of its vintage, and has that U.S.A. '80s macho thing going which should appeal.

Lettuce

So the retail version is coming out on the 23rd of December but does that mean a eShop release of Power Drift will be released before that date?

Espiox

The first four themes are available in Europe now. The Mega Drive uses the superior EU/JP Mega CD BIOS music and it's wonderful.

D.Lo

What, the Mark III? Yes it did.

928413sega-master-system.system.jpg

Master System fo' lyfe yo.

Though I do see what you mean, I would've preferred the Mark III version to come to the West too.
Yeah, Master System (1) is a pretty good looking console, but doesn't have the awesome 70s/80s futurism of the Segamaku. With the FM unit it looks like a Star trek prop.
Also Mark III control pads are actually quite good - not quite as good as Famicom, but 700 times better than the Master System pad.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's unclear to me, reading the sega retro wiki, whether the FM unit's sound chip was built into the NA master system. Was it?

D.Lo

Nope, but certain NA / European releases still have the FM capabilities built into the cartridge.
I have never heard of a Master System cart with extra sound chips in the cart? Which games?

EDIT: Oh, you mean about how the FM code was left in the NA/PAL games. The majority of games developed in Japan use exactly the same ROM for all three main territories, so yes they have the FM code still there in the Master System cart.

This also includes games that didn't even get a Japanese release but had one planned, Wonder Boy III was planned for release in Japan as Monster World II, it has FM support, and shows up with that title on a Japanese system, even though it never got a release.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's unclear to me, reading the sega retro wiki, whether the FM unit's sound chip was built into the NA master system. Was it?

It wasn't.

Nowadays, you can get FM mods for your SMS console or get SMS converters for MD that have the FM mod built-in.

(Ironically enough, around half of all the SMS games with FM music were only released overseas.)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Saturn 3DS theme is out!

"Make plans & head back to Saturn! With the Sega Saturn theme in your hands, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS. SEGA SATURN...SHIRO!"

Bottom screen has some changes, with "The Ultimate Gaming System" next to the Saturn & the folders have the logo go. BGM says "Sega Saturn Theme BGM" so no idea if they kept Super Sonic Racing.

@MUWANdo

Banned

There's a lot of bullshitting about what they played as kids (Kamiya doesn't hold back his complaints, naturally), how they met, discussion about good ports from back in the day and Okunari's changing stance from PS2 Ages to VC to 3D Classics, etc. It's a fun read but doesn't really shed any light on what might be coming to 3DS, if that's what people are after.

My favourite exchange:

"Kamiya, which Sega games would you like to see ported in the future?"
"Oh, Monster Land, Pengo, Jump Bug, Gardia..."
"...none of those games were made by Sega!"

gunstarhero

I REALLY want ESWAT to join the 3D Classics soon - both the arcade and Genesis/MegaDrive versions would be awesome, but I'd be happy with just the arcade version since it never got a accurate home conversion.

PLEASE.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Really, just an easier stage select & the ability to spin dash. You can also have a CRT filter or change between the US & International versions of the game.

Top Bottom