• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Slermy

I'll miss the drive spinning start-up sound, but what they picked is an amazing replacement!

Still no word on Puyo Puyo as a western release is there?

Espiox

Still no word on Puyo Puyo as a western release is there?

Nope. Unless it happens in Japan as a standalone eShop release, I don't really see it happening here. Same with Power Drift, although that game at least is in English so would stand a better chance.

The reason they give for the lack of major new bonus ("Grantanoff") features in Power Drift and Puyo Puyo is that they consider those games to be the "Grantanoff" of the Archives 2 package in general. Which makes me wonder if they're even planning to do eShop releases of those two.

Sounds like Archives 2 also includes small upgrades to the other games? Like better sound emulation on Sonic 1 and Altered Beast and some kind of fixes for FZ2 Link Loop Land (that will get patched into the eShop version later). Possibly also proper music emulation in Galaxy Force 2? The Google translation on this article was particularly unreadable.

Espiox

Correct me if i'm wrong but the 3D classics series has finished development.

They've been "finished" a couple of times, so it's hard to say. They seem open to more if the demand is there. They definitely want to do a third Archives compilation at least.

AmyS

Hmm ^ I wonder if it's Turbo Out Run or Super Monaco GP.

Edit:
Neither of those games should be overly difficult for M2 to do, as Turbo Out Run used the same hardware as Out Run and Super Hang-On, while Super Monaco GP used the same hardware as After Burner II and Thunder Blade.

That ad made me want to go buy Fantasy Zone on the eShop. Went on and then found out I already bought it! :D Never thought that would happen to me lol

@MUWANdo

Banned
There are some games on that shelf that aren't in either compilation: Revenge of Shinobi, Alex Kidd MD, Space Harrier 2 and some others I couldn't make out. I wonder if that's a deliberate hint or just a tease.

retroman

If you look closely at the games on the shelves, you'll spot a few that haven't been released on the 3DS yet: Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle, Space Harrier II, Super Shinobi (a.k.a. The Revenge of Shinobi) and...Virtua Racing!

Could this be a hint of things to come or am I reading to much into it?

EDIT: Beaten!

Espiox

God, I hope that's a tease. I'd love a handheld Revenge of Shinobi. Hope there would be more arcade games coming to back up those Mega Drive games though.

Some info from a recent launch event in Tokyo: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201512/28096466.html

Among other things, they repeat that a third compilation is possible if this one sells. They name-drop Enduro Racer, Turbo OutRun and Last Survivor.

Slermy

Why wouldn't they??...they've made eShop releases out of the rest of the 3D classic games!

Well, we've gotten eShop releases of the rest of the eShop games. Puyo Puyo and Power Drift are currently exclusive to the cartridge. I do hope so though!

Hope there would be more arcade games coming to back up those Mega Drive games though.

The last wave was very arcade heavy, and they've mentioned these are harder to produce. I'd be quite okay with a wave 3 being mostly console titles.

Really though, I'd be happy with anything as a wave 3
... give me 3D Virtua Racing Deluxe

I just beat Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle for the first time ever on Christmas Day randomly :lol.
So that's one I could do without, Virtua Racing (and bringing Power Drift over) is the dream though.

D.Lo

I hate the console titles. They're wasting resources when they play perfectly well on my Mega Drive already!

I'm only buying the arcade titles from now on, I already have 23 other ways to play Sonic 1 and 2 etc.

KC-Slater

They're wasting resources when they play perfectly well on my Mega Drive already!

I already have 23 other ways to play Sonic 1 and 2 etc.

I totally agree with this. I want optimized arcade ports, taking advantage of the hardware. Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Virtual ON, touch-based Virtua Cop, even!

@MUWANdo

Banned
I hate the console titles. They're wasting resources when they play perfectly well on my Mega Drive already!

I'm only buying the arcade titles from now on, I already have 23 other ways to play Sonic 1 and 2 etc.

Just having these games in stereo 3D is enough to make me want to play them again, and it's not as if they're picking bad console games, either--it's not like they're giving us Fatal Labyrinth or Flicky or whatever, these are top-tier games we're getting.

That being said, I really hope they don't do Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle, that game really isn't very good.

Among other things, they repeat that a third compilation is possible if this one sells. They name-drop Enduro Racer, Turbo OutRun and Last Survivor.

Those were names given by the audience, I think.

In other interviews I've seen, Horii has said he wants to do both versions (AC/SMS) of Line of Fire.

D.Lo

these are top-tier games we're getting.
Altered Beast... ;)

But the real point is that 3D adds very little of value to 2D sidescrollers, but makes Super Scaler and 3D stuff come completely to life.

Galaxy Force II on 3DS is literally the ultimate version. Sonic and Streets of Rage and Gunstar Heroes I still prefer to play on my Mega Drive.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wouldn't say it adds "very little value"; it looks fuckin' cool, that's value enough, and that's before improvements like Gunstar's Gunslinger mode which is now my preferred way to play the game (and makes me want an Alien Soldier 6-button mod...)

I also think they've exhausted the must-have arcade titles from that era, frankly; it's always cool to see lesser-known games get some attention but if I'm being honest I don't really need Lone Survivor or A.B. Cop or even Turbo Outrun or Revenge of Death Adder. I do want to see some Model 1 stuff but VF's the only one I genuinely want to play again.

More than anything, I just want them to do Space Harrier 2 DX, ie a more-or-less original game on arcade hardware using SH2 as a template.

AmyS

2UVXtw5.png
rcrifWL.jpg
fIgPKbn.jpg

Please.

Neff

I don't know how many times my fragile nerves can handle this thread being bumped without a Power Drift Western release confirmation...

Fularu

Banned
I wouldn't say it adds "very little value"; it looks fuckin' cool, that's value enough, and that's before improvements like Gunstar's Gunslinger mode which is now my preferred way to play the game (and makes me want an Alien Soldier 6-button mod...)

I also think they've exhausted the must-have arcade titles from that era, frankly; it's always cool to see lesser-known games get some attention but if I'm being honest I don't really need Lone Survivor or A.B. Cop or even Turbo Outrun or Revenge of Death Adder. I do want to see some Model 1 stuff but VF's the only one I genuinely want to play again.

More than anything, I just want them to do Space Harrier 2 DX, ie a more-or-less original game on arcade hardware using SH2 as a template.

I want them to do Daytona, ManX TT, Sega Rally, VF2, Sega Jet Ski and so on!

That being said, I really hope they don't do Alex Kidd and the Enchanted Castle, that game really isn't very good.
I like it more than Altered Beast FWIW, but then again I don't think either titles hold a candle to everything else released in the U.S. and Europe eShops so far.

Damn straight. Having Kamiya contribute as lead designer would make a ton of sense here, and there's a lot of potential for a boss rush mode and/or System 32-style visuals approximating something as bright and fantastic as Planet Harriers.

Espiox

I want 3D Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder so bad. There's no home port of that game, so I'd much prefer that over another port of Golden Axe 1-3.

Other than that... 3D Sonic CD? 3D Monster World IV? 3D Beyond Oasis?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Speaking of Golden Axe, I forgot to mention that the proposed bonus titles for Archives 2 were indeed Golden Axe and Alien Syndrome.

They ended up going with Power Drift because, once again, M2 had already begun working on a port in secret. The producer wanted the second game to be a puzzle game for the sake of variety; he suggested Columns but M2 thought that'd be boring as they'd just done Colums for the Yakuza 0 Vita app, so they did Puyo instead.

I'd love a Space Harrier 2 DX, but there isn't much interesting things in SH2 to base it off that.

Well, Fantasy Zone 2 DX doesn't bear much resemblance to the original game, either... it'd just be an excuse to make a new, somewhat-authentic Space Harrier game. Even just enhancing the original SH2 with true sprite scaling would be nice.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Space Fantasy Zone is not owned by Sega and was never officially released so it'll never happen (and yeah, it's not much fun) but I imagine any new/"new" Space Harrier game from M2 would be packed with FZ references either way.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt

But there is no perfect way to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on a handheld yet. Sonic CD, too. I would love to still get them. Also, I'm from Europe, so there actually is no other way as good as playing 3D Sonic 2 available without import. 50Hz...

ReBurn

Gold Member
But there is no perfect way to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles on a handheld yet. Sonic CD, too. I would love to still get them. Also, I'm from Europe, so there actually is no other way as good as playing 3D Sonic 2 available without import. 50Hz...

Not to mention that not everyone has a Mega Drive lying around. The console titles are welcome for many of us.

Top Bottom