• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega/Deep Silver publishing Valkyria Revolution in Q2 2017 on PS4/XB1/Vita

What are you talking about ? Who's everyone ?

I shouldve said "lol @ each person" not everyone. mistake.

...yeah I'm probably going to double dip too. Xbox version was unexpected but it's my main platform. Either way I'm excited

Edit: I won't be getting the vita version but I'm glad it's getting a vita release too. Such a great handheld

Im defo getting it on Xbox One in addition to PS4. I've started buying the JP games coming to Xbox One a few months ago. Got Sword City, Puyo (on its way), Raiden V (on its way). Getting this for sure. Now to see if they do some first print / limited edition.

Asd202

I really don't like the direction this series went. This game seems like a stereotypical JRPG while the first VC was breath of fresh air.

Castef

Banned
Why do you think most niche Japanese games are not released on Xbox? Laziness? Or that it doesn't make sense financially? What's different about this one?

If a port does not cost that much the only one who actually risks about publishing it is the publisher who pays for physical copies.

Also, they can recoup easily with later digital sales.

Not a huge risk here, it is just people who react in a "certain way" to certain news.

i hope the game is not ruined by going too far away from it's roots.

i remember the front mission evolved disaster. went from nice mech strategy (Front Mission 5) with deep story and gameplay to some crappy action game (Evolved, more like decomposed) .

dracula_x

It'd be hard considering Sony never communicated numbers. Which is pretty telling. I'd say they'd be sitting in the same range, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't cross the 10M mark.

→ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118602

:)

Playstation Vita total worldwide shipment data (sales) as December 2014:
9.76 million units

in addition, Japan only
Jan 2015 – 3.581.932
Dec 2016 – 5.324.196

so + 1.7 mil units sold since then

PantsuJo

i remember the front mission evolved disaster. went from nice mech strategy (Front Mission 5) with deep story and gameplay to some crappy action game (Evolved, more like decomposed) .
Man, F.M. Evolved was such a shitty game. I stopped playing at half of the campaign because I had enough of its nonsense and B-tier plot. (and trash combat system)
How to destroy the glorious Front mission saga :(

Kyoufu

That's actually what the demos feel like. I just felt like I was playing a low budget trash action RPG that would be considered kusoge. I really don't know who this game is for and why they're using the Valkyria IP. It's like they got tired of making shitty Shining action RPGs so they're moving on to Valkyria now.

Synth

That's actually what the demos feel like. I just felt like I was playing a low budget trash action RPG that would be considered kusoge. I really don't know who this game is for and why they're using the Valkyria IP. It's like they got tired of making shitty Shining action RPGs so they're moving on to Valkyria now.

I haven't tried the demo... but if it's as bad as some of you make it sound, then clearly the fact the game is being talked about at all right now shows why they attached the Valkyra name to it.

Man, F.M. Evolved was such a shitty game. I stopped playing at half of the campaign because I had enough of its nonsense and B-tier plot. (and trash combat system)
How to destroy the glorious Front mission saga :(
i'm still sad about that series going down the tube.

ahh man... that doesn't sound too good. i triple dipped on the first game just to support the franchise. fingers crossed.

Xbox is so unexpected. I find it so weird they chose to got for an Xbox version, an ecosystem that's never had a single Valkyria game before, over PC. Wasnt VC1 Remastered a million seller on Steam? So strange.

Nyoro SF

Xbox is so unexpected. I find it so weird they chose to got for an Xbox version, an ecosystem that's never had a single Valkyria game before, over PC. Wasnt VC1 Remastered a million seller on Steam? So strange.

This xbox release was likely created by Sega to see how healthy the xbox market is for anime-styled games. This game is basically a fresh spinoff with almost zero relation to the Chronicles series other than some inspired motifs. It probably didn't cost that much to do, and is an easy way to gauge a market.

Unfortunately I think they're going to be in for a rude awakening.

The xbox release and the PC release are not related. Xbox didn't "prevent" or "win" over a PC version. Sega Europe has to make those calls for PC using their own resources, independently of their console development team in Japan (Media Vision).

J-Skee

I really, really want to be wrong with what I'm about to say.

The Vita version is going to get cancelled so hard.

Why do you think most niche Japanese games are not released on Xbox? Laziness? Or that it doesn't make sense financially? What's different about this one?
I don't see it as laziness. If they can't financially do it or don't see the point in doing it then they don't do it. But if they can do it then I assume they are fine and can risk it. It's not everyday a company goes under due to a port.

Saphirax

Why would it? The game was ps4 only until recently when they added the Vita version. They're not going to suddenly cancel it. Especially not when the demo is out next week.

Nyoro SF

I will also mention that this time the release date is a good one.

I see that they've learned their lesson from over-shipping a November release of the PS3 exclusive VC1 right next to a dozen heavy hitters during the height of the X360's popularity.

Now we likely have a mostly uninterrupted summer release on lots of platforms. :)

There's no reason to cancel so you have no reason to be worried.
Going digital only is a big cost cutting (and stress cutting) measure for a game's release that trades market reach for easier avenue of access to the gamer. So they've already made the sacrifices necessary to get the Vita version to you.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You already know what its going to be. But i'm glad Xbox owners will get some JRPG goodness. If even of ya'll gather together & buy this, you might see increased support going forward.

I am more interested to see if it actually does get a lot of people on Xbox buying and what the response is from gamers usually so disconnected from the "Japanese game". I am usually really into lets plays of western gamers who don't really play Japanese games, just to see the reactions to things you'd never witness in western titles. FF15 had a lot of those first timers

cireza

This is blatantly untrue.
Then please explain why publishers always favor console releases first, and have PC considered at a later date, or with cheap ports. Not trying to be rude, simply trying to understand.

In this case, this is Sega, and they have become particularly skilled at PC games and development, which makes me wonder even more.

My belief is that they make their main revenue on consoles (for games like this one), not on PC. If I am wrong, then please explain why.

Nozomi

Banned
Then please explain why publishers always favor console releases first, and have PC considered at a later date, or with cheap ports. Not trying to be rude, simply trying to understand.

In this case, this is Sega, and they have become particularly skilled at PC games and development, which makes me wonder even more.

My belief is that they make their main revenue on consoles (for games like this one), not on PC. If I am wrong, then please explain why.

As Tales of Zestiria, God Eater and some other examples allready have shown that a same day release of pc/console has:
1.) no negativ influence on the console numbers
2.) on par sales numbers with the console release -> higher revenue due to more overall sales at a higher price
3.) more focused marketing for 2 version instead of 2 seperate -> less cost for marketing and in general more buzz

Alright, I'm done with bitching about it not being on PC. For now. I'll give Sega Europe some time into 2017 before I get #SteamRevolution going full steam (Pun Intended).

Now to wait for English trailers and gameplay. Interested in what their dub cast picks will be. Actually I'm more interested in the short turnaround time between Japanese release and western release relative to other Sega and Atlus localizations. That's quite a surprise barring delays. I want to assume there's been a breakthrough in Sega's localization pipeline, but watch this turn out to be about as plot and text heavy as MGS5 as the real reason for the fast localization.

Ascheroth

SEGA Europes PC business is entirely different from their console business. They have a lot of very successful PC-exclusives but don't really care about the console side of things as it seems.
We'll see if that changes with their announcements early next year.

To your first point, actually pretty much all western multiplatform games are day-and-date with the console versions and cheap ports are the rare case.
It's the Japanese side that completely ignored PC and only started to set foot there more or less recently (with some baffling decisions and shitty ports to start with).
But more companies that jump onto Steam are shifting to day-and-date releases.
Like Konami with MGSV and Ground Zeroes, Bandai Namco with Dark Souls 2 and 3, God Eater, Tales of Zestiria & Berseria, Xenoverse 2, etc.
NISA started porting their older games to Steam this year and at the same time started releasing their new games day-and-date. Yomawari came out recently and all their announcements for 2017, that aren't from their backlog, are simultaneous releases.
And there are probably more I forgot or don't know about.

Personally I think late ports are dumb. The nebulous 'double dippers' aren't going to make up all the disadvantages they bring with them.

Nozomi has brought up some points, but I'll list my opinion as well:
- Price: No one is going to buy a year old game for 60$. Depending on how much later you release the port, you'll have to set the starting price cheaper accordingly. Needless to say, that's revenue lost.
- Marketing: You'll have to financy new marketing for the new version or stealth release it. Obviously that's not going to be as cost- and visibility-effective as just using the existing console-marketing. And visibiltiy is important, especially with how many games are releasing on Steam every day. It doesn't matter how good your game is if no one knows it exists on the platform.
- Hype: The console-launch hype is gone, the game is a known quantity. You're going to absolutely lose Day-1 buyes that would have bought the game the moment it came out but no longer care once a late port comes around.

I really don't see many benefits here.

cireza

Ok, I understand. Thanks for taking time to express your point of view. I honestly don't have much knowledge on the PC market.

Top Bottom