• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

canocha

AFAIK the only wireless Genesis controllers Sega put out used the line-of-sight IR ones. Which suck. They're not modern wireless; they're sort of like a TV remote in terms of tech where you have to keep a clear angle to the receiver and not move around too much. Not worth it.

Wings of Wor is a cool little shooter with some neat graphics and music. Not sure if it's really a must-have, though.

The wireless controllers are IR, but they don't need to be in direct line with the adapter (i tried with the ones i have).

I could almost point them to the ceiling and it still managed to pick up the signal!

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Also is Wings of Wor any good?

It's basically the predecessor to Choaniki on the PC Engine...the first one, before it got too super into the whole muscle man thing.

Not one of the better shooters on the system, but worth giving a shot for the weird designs alone.

The wireless controllers are IR, but they don't need to be in direct line with the adapter (i tried with the ones i have).

I could almost point them to the ceiling and it still managed to pick up the signal!

I'm going off my experience with the Saturn IR controllers. Perhaps they are worse.

Dave Long

Banned
Huh? They were six-button... Conversely, I'm not sure if an official three-button wireless pad existed, beyond a non-working prototype that hit eBay not too long ago.

Hmmm... I am old, so maybe I'm misremembering then. That photo is of something that had to come later than when I was at EB, so maybe they were really scarce? We definitely sold three button wireless controllers, though. IR, as people have already noted. They might've been sold by Acclaim though and not SEGA themselves, but I think they were definitely endorsed by SEGA.

canocha

I posted mine on the October 2012 pick up thread:

7qftE.jpg

Teknoman

It's basically the predecessor to Choaniki on the PC Engine...the first one, before it got too super into the whole muscle man thing.

Not one of the better shooters on the system, but worth giving a shot for the weird designs alone.

Well I do like weird enemy designs...that penile enemies comment makes me want to check out some more videos since i'm guessing it's something R-type or Giger style.

7qftE.jpg

So they do exist...

7qftE.jpg

I have a set myself. I'll say, my expectations were low, but they actually work pretty well from my experience. Not a huge range, but you don't need to be directly in line. There is a decent amount of leeway. Worth it if you can grab a set altogether.

Edit: I'd say you can be super far away from the system, but it just needs to be pointed in the vicinity of the system to work well. Does not need to be perfectly aligned or anything. Far as broken connections, anytime something walks in front of it or gets in the way, basically. Battery life isn't too shabby either. I think i got 8-10 hour with decent batteries, if memory serves correctly.

canocha

How is the lag on these babies? Might have to get me some sometime.

I didn't notice any lag at all (i played a lot of Sonic 3 with them)

Do you have to point them at the megadrive for it to work?
Or just in the general area of the tv/console where it may be near?
How easily is the connection severed?

You don't need to point them directly to the receiver, i tried various positions to test it!

I only loose connection if i totally cover the IRs.

So they do exist...

Indeed!

I have a set myself. I'll say, my expectations were low, but they actually work pretty well from my experience. Not a huge range, but you don't need to be directly in line. There is a decent amount of leeway. Worth it if you can grab a set altogether.

Edit: I'd say you can be super far away from the system, but it just needs to be pointed in the vicinity of the system to work well. Does not need to be perfectly aligned or anything. Far as broken connections, anytime something walks in front of it or gets in the way, basically. Battery life isn't too shabby either. I think i got 8-10 hour with decent batteries, if memory serves correctly.

I used some energizer batteries and got 10+ hours!

Teknoman

IIRC, you could enter the level select code for one of the Sonic games and then swap it out for a different game and the code would still be active, due in part to all of the mainline sequels being built off of the previous game's engine. I'm pretty sure this was more reliable than trying to enter Sonic 3's code the normal way, but it also carried the risk of wiping your save data.

Swapping would be just yanking the cart out while the game was still running?

I've been trying to enter that Sonic 3 code for nearly 20 years, and I never once got it.

I'm convinced it doesnt work.

Ultratech

I've been trying to enter that Sonic 3 code for nearly 20 years, and I never once got it.

It's possible, but ridiculously hard to do it quickly due to the short amount of time you have to input it.

I had the game for years and only managed to do it once or twice.

U, U, D, D, U, U, U, U, ?

That frigging code, as a kid I could do it but it took multiple tries.

My biggest problem as a kid was trying to not get a "game over" in virtua racing, now I understand but back then it was like a slap in the face even though you came first. also there is a mirror mode but you can only unlock it with a game genie / AR code however once I hit my megadrive by mistake and it appeared but crashed when I selected it, I will never forget that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuKis9fJYI

Slermy

Anyone else ever seen official Sega wireless controllers?

Also is Wings of Wor any good?

Late to reply, since others have covered it, but the official Sega Wirless controllers are pretty good. Lag has not been an issue, and my genny is offset to the TV, but still picks up the controllers fine.

I also recommend Wings of Wor.

iidesuyo

The 6 button wireless controllers are great. I still use them and they work perfectly, it was somewhat ahead of its time back in 1994 to play without cords.

I read somewhere that they were only released in Europe.

And why should lag be an issue? Isn't light just as fast as a cable?

Shaneus

So what Shiny/David Perry games were there on the MD? From memory and in rough chronological order, it was Cool Spot (there may have been an earlier title or two), Aladdin, Lion King, EWJ1 and EWJ2. I have a feeling I'm missing some, though.

They were all so damn good. I can still remember how much EWJ1 blew me away when I first bought it (near enough to launch). Played absolutely perfectly, every one of them.

So what Shiny/David Perry games were there on the MD? From memory and in rough chronological order, it was Cool Spot (there may have been an earlier title or two), Aladdin, Lion King, EWJ1 and EWJ2. I have a feeling I'm missing some, though.

They were all so damn good. I can still remember how much EWJ1 blew me away when I first bought it (near enough to launch). Played absolutely perfectly, every one of them.

He did the Terminator for Virgin too, but I didn't really care for that one. I'm not positive, but I think they used reworked versions of it for the Sega CD version of Terminator and the MD/Genny version of Robocop vs. Terminator, now those two I loved. Don't know if Dave had any direct involvement with them though.

I wondered why yours look different from mine (the red START button instead of grey), then I saw your manual says "Mega Drive." Are yours European?

Mine:

E9193853-8D8F-421C-A650-4551D05DB690-879-0000010100C7A3CD_zps7c3b66f4.jpg
I'd kind of assumed it was a European thing, yeah. IIRC the Model 2 had red Power/Reset buttons, too, while us Yanks got black ones.

televator

I got pair of those myself. They have 3 big LEDs inside that point in different directions so line of sight is wider. They're not RF, but they're close enough to be quite easy to use.

Edit: Also, because of the batteries they are bulkier and wiegh more. This makes them quite comfortable, easy to grip, and have a good tactile feel to them. IMO they are the best controllers for the Genesis/MegaDrive.

Edit: Shameless collection showoff

Come at me bro
picdump026_zps59e017ba.jpg

Dat $1 Castlevania GoodWill find
picdump028_zps7951316f.jpg

Loose carts
picdump027_zpsb86efd6f.jpg

IrishNinja

i said goddamn, im struggling to find bloodlines loose for sub $25...fuggit im hitting up more goodwills. what a nice pic!

what's a good holder like that for loose carts? im building up a few without covers, need a place to stack em!

and yeah never saw that wireless one either, looks good but my experience also with IR was awful

EDIT: Actually, IrishNinja did mention getting a splitter. Still, I don't think one is necessary in his case; he wants to put multiple outputs into one input.

yeah, i asked about splitter but i totally found/am going with a switch box, again my old pelican one has room for 4 s-vid connections so that'll do (unless im understanding you guys wrong?)

ps just got a counter-offer on ebay, $25 for a loose Phantasy Star IV...considering the crappy paper box & black/white manual i recall getting with my $98 copy in the day, i think ima bite

@MUWANdo

Banned

He did Mick and Mack: Global Gladiators before Cool Spot, and I don't think he was directly involved with Lion King beyond whatever tech they reused from Aladdin.

There are some other Virgin Interactive games that he started work on that were finished up by other studios when he left to form Shiny, too--The Jungle Book, a Terminator game or two, maybe some other stuff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jesus.. I want a Power Base Converter and Model 1 Sega CD now.

televator

i said goddamn, im struggling to find bloodlines loose for sub $25...fuggit im hitting up more goodwills. what a nice pic!

what's a good holder like that for loose carts? im building up a few without covers, need a place to stack em!

and yeah never saw that wireless one either, looks good but my experience also with IR was awful

The funny thing is that I found bloodlines just as I started collecting and I never even heard of a Castlevania game that wasn't on a Nintendo console. When I saw it there, I was like "When did Castlevania come out for the Genesis? I...uh...should probably grab it..."

As for loose carts, you know those old cassette tape drawers? Genesis games fit perfect in them. They show up frequently at Goodwill as well.

BocoDragon

As for loose carts, you know those old cassette tape drawers? Genesis games fit perfect in them. They show up frequently at Goodwill as well.

Same goes for Master System games and Famicom games. They were probably designed to be the size of a cassette, they're all identical dimensions.

televator

I also have that... but with a model 2 SEGA CD :)

I just find it sad that i can't play Mega Drive games with the Master system add-on

You also have a Dali avatar...
Carl-Sagan-Youre-Awesome_zps2fcf24f1.gif

Same goes for Master System games and Famicom games. They were probably designed to be the size of a cassette, they're all identical dimensions.

Just too bad NES and SNES games didn't follow suit...then there's N64 games that don't have top labels. It's like Nintendo planned on creating an OCD nightmare come true.

BocoDragon

Just too bad NES and SNES games didn't follow suit...then there's N64 games that don't have top labels. It's like Nintendo planned on creating an OCD nightmare come true.

For the sizes you are right.. but keep in mind, in Japan it's consistent for end labels.. they never had any ;)

It was just something they added when they brought them to the west (but Europe opted for Japanese design with 16-bit, then America followed suit for 64-bit)

edit: but this is the Sega thread. Forgive me father for I have sinned.

Shaneus

Damnit, I would give my left nut for a MCD1. The only one I ever saw in the wild was an import game store here in AU where it had a price tag of ~$500 (at least, I think it was that... I just remember being really young and the price being pathetically out of my grasp). I also remember paying a dollar or two to play Mortal Kombat CD on it for 30 mins.

IrishNinja

Jesus.. I want a Power Base Converter and Model 1 Sega CD now.

i loved my model 1, but this model 2 aint so bad neither. not waiting on the CD tray is nice! model 1 genny all day tho

okay, that's one of those "how did this never don on me before" moments right there, that's crazy. yeah, off to find one of those guys

man okay so this might be the whiskey but i'm on a MJ kick and it's bumming me out that i cant catch Moonwalker with the case for less than $40, i know he died but cmon people

IrishNinja

^i dunno, man

rock n' roll racing did well for itself, but a music-based game...i'dve loved to have heard LL cool J, run DMC & heavy D midi's but i don't know how many others would've, based on uh, me and the 4 other people who bought Make My Music Video featuring Kriss Kross

I always wanted those wireless megadrive controllers but back then I knew that sometimes infra red would fail on my old ass tv remote so I thought the same about the controller and never asked for it.

smbu2000

Wasn't there also an "official" Sega Genesis Cartridge Organizer.

http://youtu.be/TivaSv3_Fyg

This guy takes a look at it and tests out different games. Mega Drive games also fit fine into it.

I wouldn't mind having one, but I all of my Mega Drive games have boxes.

IrishNinja

awww man, that organizer looks awesome, one went for like $40 on ebay a while back too...one day ill have useless stuff like that and the sega power strip, my classic game room is an ongoing project!

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I have rejoined the Sega realm as well, and am very excited that this thread exists. I just picked up a like-new Sega CDX console and have started to get a few games. I had one of these before but regretted getting rid of it at some point.

I remember my first encounter with a Sega CD. I was maybe 12 or 13, and I visited my cousin, who was a few years older than me and had a regular job. I walked into his room and was flabbergasted to see a Model 1 Sega CD, six button controllers and all sorts of insane games—CD Spider-Man, Street Fighter II SCE and, of course, Sewer Shark.

I also ordered one of those megadrive.me prints, and can't wait to complement the new collection.

IrishNinja

so, after a long day off of running errands, I finally get a chance to mess with the huge haul i've been building for the last few weeks! and it's not going very well at all =/

the modded genesis is plugged in via composite for now (s-vid cables on the way), turns out it's not actually a model 1 because i've got that "LICENSED BY SEGA" screen...but many of the carts i've been picking up don't seem to work. some get said license screen, then nothing; others nothing at all. a few of these, i get, as the conductors/chips at the bottom of a couple look rough, but most of them look like they were very well taken care of - even the guy's collection i bought said system with, several of his aren't loading, both genesis & SMS via the power converter.

i just emailed him through ebay to ask if there's a trick to it (maybe the mod made things difficult?), i didn't really blow on my sega carts much in the day because my original system wasn't nearly this picky; even beat-up-ass rentals worked just fine. is there a way i can maybe clean the reader/head of this thing and try again? i dig many of the games i got with this thing, hate to have to return it all.

oh yeah, plus the sega arcade power stick i'd been pawing at while waiting for this to arrive...yeah, it looks/feels excellent, but the C button barely responds at all, even when you press the shit out of it. emailed that guy too; fuck your "no returns" policy.

didn't even try any of the model 2 sega-CD stuff at all yet...pretty bummed right now, honestly

woodypop

awww man, that organizer looks awesome, one went for like $40 on ebay a while back too...one day ill have useless stuff like that and the sega power strip, my classic game room is an ongoing project!
I've been having a tough time finding reasonably priced cartridge caddies/organizers for both Genesis and SNES carts. Managed to get a couple SNES ones, but so far SOL on the Genesis front. =(

turns out it's not actually a model 1 because i've got that "LICENSED BY SEGA" screen...
Presence of TMSS is not indicative of whether or not it's Model 1. Most Model 1s have it, in fact.

but many of the carts i've been picking up don't seem to work. some get said license screen, then nothing; others nothing at all. a few of these, i get, as the conductors/chips at the bottom of a couple look rough, but most of them look like they were very well taken care of - even the guy's collection i bought said system with, several of his aren't loading, both genesis & SMS via the power converter.
Just to verify, you have taken a Q-Tip doused in rubbing alcohol to the contacts of the cartridges, right? Because in my experience, any second-hand cartridge video games I buy tend to be absolutely filthy somehow or another. This prevents the console getting a proper read from the ROM, introducing all kinds of fun glitches.

bjork

Question, perhaps it was fielded earlier and I missed it: I have a model 1 Genesis without the trademark thing, etc. And I want a master system, but I'd also go for a power base converter. Is there any quality difference between running SMS games on the power base converter or on the original console? I'm not *that* anal about it, but if it had some issue like say, the sound issues of the Smash Pack on Dreamcast, I'd be inclined to just get the SMS instead.

Question, perhaps it was fielded earlier and I missed it: I have a model 1 Genesis without the trademark thing, etc. And I want a master system, but I'd also go for a power base converter. Is there any quality difference between running SMS games on the power base converter or on the original console? I'm not *that* anal about it, but if it had some issue like say, the sound issues of the Smash Pack on Dreamcast, I'd be inclined to just get the SMS instead.
Generally there aren't any glitches. I think there are a grand total of, like, two or three games that are totally unplayable on the PBC, and all others are pretty much perfect (since the Genesis actually has the SMS hardware in it, including the Model 2; you just need the PBC to get the cartridges to fit correctly, due to the different contacts in the cartridge slot).

Presence of TMSS is not indicative of whether or not it's Model 1. Most Model 1s have it, in fact.

Just to verify, you have taken a Q-Tip doused in rubbing alcohol to the contacts of the cartridges, right? Because in my experience, any second-hand cartridge video games I buy tend to be absolutely filthy somehow or another. This prevents the console getting a proper read from the ROM, introducing all kinds of fun glitches.

As someone who works at a small retro game store, yes, always give carts the q-tip rundown. 90% of the time, that fixes things.

Top Bottom