• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

IrishNinja

i just cant rank shinobis, loved all 3 on the genny

For anyone curious, I found a bunch of old renders of mixes for Streets of Rage Remake while it was in development. Ranges from early sketches to nearly finished versions. A lot of it is over 10 years old at this point. I had them stored on an old external HDD.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66640537/sorrstuff.zip

going through this soon, thanks m'man! also gonna wait & see when the SOR OST vinyl gets restocked, along with shenmoo

TeaJay

Been playing Landstalker with my gf over the last few weeks. It's a really good game!

It's funny how people compare Alundra to Zelda and never mention Landstalker. I guess it's a pretty under-appreciated game.

I've been interested in Landstalker after reading comparisons to Dark Savior (on Saturn). I feel like Dark Savior was under-appreciated, it's definately not perfect, but I enjoyed it a lot. Maybe I should try out Landstalker as well.

BmKj_iZCUAAhSdD.jpg

Been playing Landstalker with my gf over the last few weeks. It's a really good game! That perspective leads to some bullshit though both in general platforming and especially in the design of Greenmaze. Fuck you, Climax! It's not an easy game, though, and I've seen her die quite a few times. We've needed to explore and learn dungeons before coming back and doing them successfully. There was a jumping puzzle she gave up on and kind of tossed me the controller. Did it first try and she started crying a little out of frustration =[ These skills are a curse.

The game is also really, really long for its time, like 20+ hours.

It's funny how people compare Alundra to Zelda and never mention Landstalker. I guess it's a pretty under-appreciated game.
Yeah, Landstalker is amazing. It's the best action-RPG or Zelda-ish Action-Adventure game on the Genesis for sure, and is one of the better games of that type of the generation; it's in my top five games in those genres that gen (and Link to the Past probably isn't, though Link's Awakening is #1.).

The perspective is confusing, but you do get used to it with time...

MikeMyers

What about the SOR2 PSN port? Any good? Dunno who did that.

Good thing my previous Super Hang-On wasn't on there to get hurt, then.

AmyS

3OboX0e.jpg

That's like my native period of time in life. Things were happier, simpler and more innocent then! Haha look at that Wendy's cup.

Mzo

the what now

The Taxman Sonic 1 and 2 ports on iOS. They're running on Christian "Taxman" Whitehead's updated engine. The only one we got on consoles was Sonic CD.

They're excellent. They look gorgeous, play really well and have a lot of extras. For example, Sonic 1 has a fully playable Knuckles and Sonic 2 has a cut level reinserted. He's also finished Sonic 3 and Knuckles and is basically waiting for the go ahead from Sega. There was a whole signature push for it but they can shove these iOS ports up their ass.

AmyS

Those two MD shooters look awesome, but are they any good?

Fire Mustang seems pretty good - (60FPS) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMSbng1i3qk

It's a port of the arcade game US AAF Mustang -

60FPS video of arcade - guy seems to be playing other games/ doing other stuff but It's the only quality video I could find.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRINPKdOlyQ

Alright, Space Battleship Gomora (Spaceship Gomorah / Uchuu Senkan Gomorah) was also known as Bio-ship Paladin, a pretty unique shooter, different and slower with detailed graphics.
Your ship can be smaller or larger, hard to explain.

MD longplay
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64PbwCxPM08
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uA2FWQpMXu4
part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAYXh3n6nPA

Arcade version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDi-PlegiLY

Arcade flyers:

MikeMyers

Yeah, but it'll probably get moved at one point.

What would be some notable games? What comes to mind for me is:

-Sonic CD
-Night Trap
-Shining Force CD
-Lunar
-Snatcher
-Eternal Champions
-Ecco the Dolphin

Khaz

Most of its games were lazy ports of Megadrive games with redbook soundtrack.

And I loved it.

[edit] Is there even a homebrew scene for the Mega-CD? Pier Solar uses it only for audio, Sonic Megamix as a loading tool.
I'd ask about the 32X too but It's even less likely.

D.Lo

It's a peripheral, just talk about it here?

I think of them as different format Mega Drive games. Just like PC Engine CDs and Famicom Disks.

lazygecko

Core has a big chunk of software for Mega CD. Most of them are Amiga CD32 ports but I think there are some exclusives that are built around the scaling/rotation functions.

It's kind of sad how the success of Tomb Raider just relegated Core to making sequel after sequel. They were such a diverse developer before that.

-Sonic CD
-Night Trap
-Shining Force CD
-Lunar
-Snatcher
-Eternal Champions
-Ecco the Dolphin

Sorry but that thread will be doomed from the start unless you mention Marky Mark and C&C Music Factory Make My Video right from the start.

cj_iwakura

-Sonic CD
-Night Trap
-Shining Force CD
-Lunar
-Snatcher
-Eternal Champions
-Ecco the Dolphin

Road Avenger, The Secret of Monkey Island(well it is on there), Dark Wizard, Out of this World II: Heart of the Alien, Rise of the Dragon, Panic, Silpheed.

Definitely enough for it to be its own thing. I rarely touched my Genesis after getting one. (Still rarely do, but I use my SCD often.)

I'd be up for making it. Though I've already made a community thread in the past. Are we allowed to make more than one?

Uh, I've done like five. :p

Khaz

Just did a video on 50hz PAL games that I think might be interesting for some NTSC gamers to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkY0L_7b5yk

I show a bit of 50hz Mega Drive games, specifically Sonic.

It's not that bad. Since our TV can handle both 50Hz and 60Hz, a simple switch allows to play all the unoptimised games at their original speed. You actually have the choice of playing your local copy or an import, whereas with "optimised" games you have no choice but to import them, since the optimisation is usually terrible and incomplete.

PAL itself isn't bad. If Japan was PAL we would have had an increased resolution and more processing time for the consoles. Some demos actually take advantage of that and need to be played at 50Hz, like the famous Overdrive by Titan. But I loathe PAL optimised games. Most of them have only a correct music, while the gameplay and picture is still slower. These games are broken at both 50 and 60Hz.

Being a SEGA gamer is better now, all their consoles are easy to mod so you can use your local hardware and most of your local software. To play 60Hz NES you need to import the console, and on Playstation you need to import all your games.

I kinda think Sega CD talk fits better in here than its own thread, tbh.

It's just that we need to talk about the Sega CD more often, period.

Dicer

Banned
My Rolling Thunder 2 doesn't work :(

Gotta pull it apart and clean it up, hopefully it'll spring back to life....

on another note I got Revenge of Shinobi :)

Teknoman

-Sonic CD
-Night Trap
-Shining Force CD
-Lunar
-Snatcher
-Eternal Champions
-Ecco the Dolphin

Dungeon Explorer is pretty cool. I think there are some more decent jrpgs that never made it here? Also Android Assault, The Terminator, and Final Fight CD

AmyS

In the summer of '89 I knew nothing of Golden Axe. EGM hadn't covered it IIRC.
First time I heard about it was in GamePro, pictured below.

Because of the way this was originally split across two pages, and even then the picture was never really one compete picture, I laid this out side by side as best as I could.

ywFZVnW.png

Then here is part of the Genesis Golden Axe advert:

xLmllcE.jpg

lazygecko

What are some good Zelda like games for the Genesis?

Soleil is the closest thing to a Zelda clone. Then there's Beyond Oasis which is more of a shorter Zelda with more in-depth combat mechanics. Wonder Boy/Monster World games are pretty much sidescrolling ones akin to Zelda 2 (Monster World 4 even has the upward/downward thrust mechanics). You might also want to give Golden Axe Warrior on the Master System a try.

Top Bottom