• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

D.Lo

There is nothing orchestral about the original Contra's music. It's pure rock just like Castlevania's music. There's a reason it's been constantly turned into metal versions. Contra 3 does have Predator-like atmospheric music at some point but it's still pretty rock and synth-driven.

I called it a troll post because calling the music "orchestral" is so far off the mark I just had to laugh. I mean, really, what? What.
There is plenty orchestral about Contra's music. Metal covers prove less than nothing, there are metal covers of everything. There are lots of rock covers of NES games because it had exactly the right number and type of sound channels to be reproduced by a four piece band.

You also skipped all the orchestral style pieces that dominate Contra Spirits, and picked a rock style one.

While there is a rock beat added to much of it (by necessity in many cases, the NES has a sound channel that can only produce drum type sounds), right from the start Contra's music has been a 16-bit riff on big military themed war music, mostly Jerry Goldsmith's First Blood and sequels soundtrack. There's also a bunch of Alien and Aliens in there (Alien lair stages are almost a total rip from Aliens).

Saturn game is actually pretty good. Probably the best feeling digitized graphics game I've played, lol. I enjoyed the PS2 game when it came out but the final boss was a nightmare, lol. 3DS game is made by the Volgarr folks. It's actually pretty solid (and cheap!). Get it.
I've been meaning to try the 3DS game. Just bought a copy.

Khaz

I've felt irrationally let down by the lack of saves or stuff to unlock in Shinobi 3DS. It's a barebone arcade platformer like the Megadrive games so I should enjoy it all the same, but the lack of features compared to other 3DS games left me unsatisfied. I should know better.

D.Lo

I've felt irrationally let down by the lack of saves or stuff to unlock in Shinobi 3DS. It's a barebone arcade platformer like the Megadrive games so I should enjoy it all the same, but the lack of features compared to other 3DS games left me unsatisfied. I should know better.
The copy I just bought on eBay was AU$8. If I get a couple of hours of fun it's a bargain!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There is plenty orchestral about Contra's music. Metal covers prove less than nothing, there are metal covers of everything. There are lots of rock covers of NES games because it had exactly the right number and type of sound channels to be reproduced by a four piece band.

You also skipped all the orchestral style pieces that dominate Contra Spirits, and picked a rock style one.

While there is a rock beat added to much of it (by necessity in many cases, the NES has a sound channel that can only produce drum type sounds), right from the start Contra's music has been a 16-bit riff on big military themed war music, mostly Jerry Goldsmith's First Blood and sequels soundtrack. There's also a bunch of Alien and Aliens in there (Alien lair stages are almost a total rip from Aliens).
My bad, I didn't use an 8-second example, that's totally cherry-picked... lol.

Of course they have influence from Alien and Rambo, but the original Contra's music was still pretty much pure rocking, sometimes even with a jazzy sounding groove or an electronic sci-fi vibe to it.

lazygecko

I remember seeing a video of the original Contra composer listening to a fan metal remix and he said that was pretty much how it sounded in his head while working on it. It's more of a rock foundation with some film score influenced sprinkled in here and there.

I don't really get the complaints about Hard Corps music though. The rest of the game was clearly deviating from the earlier titles and went full on cyberpunk, and the music really suits it. Contra: Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra continued with the same style of music. Hard Corps music was pretty much the start of "new" Contra in the same way Bloodlines heralded the new era of Castlevania music with the introduction of Michiru Yamane.

Voliko

3DS Shinobi- Probably my favorite 3DS game. Well designed and a good challenge if you choose the difficulties with limited continues. The graphics are pretty bad but I think anyone who likes Revenge and 3 will like Shinobi 3D. It's so cheap that it's a no-brainer. The bonus challenges are amazing too, maybe even the highlight of the game for me. They are bite-size levels which are super dense and thoughtfully designed. It's garbage that you need to use play coins to unlock them.

Saturn- OK. I like the digitized graphics as a novelty, and the cutscenes can be hilarious. The game itself is just alright, I think Revenge and 3 are way better.

PS2- Hmm I expected more from this one when I saw people give it such high praise. I applaud the game for its simplistic, linear, no-nonsense, level-by-level structure but the combat feels pretty basic even on the boss fights, I don't like the camera, and just imagining the repeating, consistently rectangular layouts makes me think low-budget. That thing where all the enemies drop in a little cutscene if you kill them all fast enough is annoying. It definitely wasn't as difficult as I had read... I've only played through level 5 though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I remember seeing a video of the original Contra composer listening to a fan metal remix and he said that was pretty much how it sounded in his head while working on it. It's more of a rock foundation with some film score influenced sprinkled in here and there.
Exactly.

I don't really get the complaints about Hard Corps music though. The rest of the game was clearly deviating from the earlier titles and went full on cyberpunk, and the music really suits it. Contra: Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra continued with the same style of music. Hard Corps music was pretty much the start of "new" Contra in the same way Bloodlines heralded the new era of Castlevania music with the introduction of Michiru Yamane.
I think Yamane kept more or less the same style as classicvanias, though? But she did have a few more moody pieces, and went further with that in SotN with orchestral and ambient pieces like Dance of Pearls, Requiem for the Gods, or Abandoned Pit. But Bloodlines was still similar to the more rocking styles of the first three Castlevania games I think, except for Sinking Old Sanctuary maybe. If anything, Super Castlevania IV introduced the more moody/ambient style (which also worked pretty well).

I think some of Powerslave's graphics are digitized photos, but then, FPSes aren't usually what comes to mind when that subject comes up.

Oh, and T&E Soft's golf games like Pebble Beach Golf Links or Valora Valley Golf, which use the same engine as another digitized-sprite game... Virtual Hydlide.

MikeMyers

Ah ok.

I wonder if Shinobi Saturn would have been received if it came to Sega CD instead. Seems like the game got buried in all the 3D hype of the next gen consoles. :/

@MUWANdo

Banned

Shinobi 3DS' unlocks are tied to in-game achievements and there are quite a lot of them (around 65, says my copy). They're mostly straightforward (collect all the hidden coins, get s-ranks, no-damage runs, beat bosses in under x minutes, etc) and they unlock concept art, BGM, challenge stages, costumes and skins, cheats and even additional playable characters.

There's plenty of content for a game of this type and it certainly compares favourably to comparable 3DS games like Castlevania Lords of Shadow which despite being "action-adventure" games are much quicker to 100% and have no replay value.

IrishNinja

Ah ok.

I wonder if Shinobi Saturn would have been received if it came to Sega CD instead. Seems like the game got buried in all the 3D hype of the next gen consoles. :/

i think so, yeah - personally, i recall part of the backlash (at least in my mind) being the fact that after no sonic, no SOR, no TJ&E etc here was what felt like a supbar effort....and then Golden Axe got a vs fighter no one wanted

When i say Legions is good, i mean it's better than i think it got in the day. but yeah, no one's ever gonna put it up there with Revenge or 3

MikeMyers

Honestly, I think the only Mega Drive -> Saturn IP that we really needed was Sonic. If they just canned the entire 32x concept and just had Sonic Team made a Sonic game for Saturn launch instead of that weird Knuckles game, it wouldn't have looked as bad.

Of course, they could have added Revenge of Death Adder too, since all they literally had to do was port it.

IrishNinja

yeah, sonic's absence was a huge deal - but after spending years building a western base, it just felt like they tossed it out the window.

of course, now i look at what we got instead - NiGHTS, burning rangers, etc - im grateful for it!

MikeMyers

Yeah, a 2D Sonic with Saturn's power would have been amazing.

Speaking of, what did you think of Knuckles Chaotix? I like the art direction and music, but it played a bit too gimmicky for my taste.

IrishNinja

yeah, i thought it looked (and sounded) fantastic...i was okay with the gimmick, its just that it's so sparse, it feels like a tech demo! like, id love to play it after someone used debug mode and filled it with enemies & stuff...it's a ghost town as it is, at parts

special stages are this amazing expansion to sonic 2's as well

MikeMyers

It was actually the cheapest system by 1996 though.

I do wonder how that gen would have went if Sony didn't enter the fray.

The CD system hindered by 2D vs. The 3D system hindered by carts.

lazygecko

Probably a lot more third parties flocking to Sega as they were having enough of Nintendo's policies and their momentum from the NES was finally running out.

It wasn't the cheapest. Sega did have the biggest drop from $399.99 to 199.99 in a year but that was to compete with the N64 and the recent Sony price drop to $199 in May 96. So all three consoles were sitting at $199 going into the Holiday season. If they had that price at launch and had Sonic things would have been a lot better. Oh well, still doesn't change the fact that it's still my second favorite system.

D.Lo

You're all talking US, in Australia the Saturn was dead by the N64 launch and never cheaper in useful life as far as I remember.

I picked one up in a pawn shop in 1998 for cheap post-collapse however. Also got dozens of boxed NES games for peanuts lol.

MikeMyers

Saturn started off at 400, came to 300 later that year, and went with 200 to compete with PSX going 200 if I remember correctly. N64 debuted at 200. However the Saturn came bundled with 3 games at that point so technically it can be argued it was cheaper.

And yeah the N64 debut really hurt the Saturn since the didn't have a proper Sonic game to combat Mario 64. People tend to forget that N64 was actually outselling everything in the west early on and PSX only surpassed it later.

D.Lo

And yeah the N64 debut really hurt the Saturn since the didn't have a proper Sonic game to combat Mario 64. People tend to forget that N64 was actually outselling everything in the west early on and PSX only surpassed it later.
That's right, N64 won the first two years, at least in the US and certainly in Australia too. There was massive momentum from Mario - Turok - Wave Race - Goldeneye - Banjo - Zelda. PS1 finally took off in 1998 with a huge slew of massive games - Metal Gear, Tomb Raider 2, Resident Evil 2, Gran Turrismo. It was crazy, because the system was four years old at that point! That generation clearly did not go as expected, PS1 got those exclusive sequels to what were original Saturn projects like Resident Evil and Tomb Raider.

I remember an EGM 'buyers guide' edition which had the sales figures. They rated all the systems and all rated the PSX highest, but had a section which was 'which system is for me' and one of the Saturn's bullet points is 'I want the CD based system that doesn't need to be turned upside down to read games' lol.

MikeMyers

What's interesting is that in the 16-bit gen, Sega was the leader in the West (for most of the gen anyway), yet the next gen Sega console was a flop while Nintendo and Sony battled until Sony was able to claim a dominant lead after 2 years.

While the 16-bit gen was basically Nintendos for the taking but next gen the N64 doesn't do well in Japan while Sega and Sony faced off for about 2 years until FF7 guaranteed Sony victory.

It'd be interesting to see a chart of Sega and Nintendo combined vs Sony in the US and Japan.

I remember seeing an ad for the Saturn on TV, and saying to my parents, "boy! We should go buy that! It's only $2.99!"

I was only off by a factor of 100.

D.Lo

What's interesting is that in the 16-bit gen, Sega was the leader in the West (for most of the gen anyway), yet the next gen Sega console was a flop while Nintendo and Sony battled until Sony was able to claim a dominant lead after 2 years.

While the 16-bit gen was basically Nintendos for the taking but next gen the N64 doesn't do well in Japan while Sega and Sony faced off for about 2 years until FF7 guaranteed Sony victory.

It'd be interesting to see a chart of Sega and Nintendo combined vs Sony in the US and Japan.
Yes, Sega killed their massive momentum with the Mega CD (designed for Japan, should not have come west) the insane 32X and then the Saturn launch shambles and price, allowing Nintendo to catch up in the US with effectively an answer to Sonic in Donkey Kong Country, and the N64 hype.

It's very much like Nintendo's screw-ups between N64/GCN and Wii/Wii U really, momentum death. The Wii remained the overall winner of last gen worldwide, but the 360 overtook it in the US.

What's your 1st?

Genesis. So many gems on this system. If I did a top 5 it would be like this.
I know I'll get shit for my 5th

Genesis
Saturn
Original Xbox
N64
SNES

I was more of a PC guy in the 90's. Which is why I liked the Arcade ports on the Saturn.

Saturn started off at 400, came to 300 later that year, and went with 200 to compete with PSX going 200 if I remember correctly. N64 debuted at 200. However the Saturn came bundled with 3 games at that point so technically it can be argued it was cheaper.

Wasn't there a console only sold for $399 & a Virtua Fighter pack in sold at $449? Why do I feel like I remember this?

MikeMyers

I think it was 400 with the VF pack in. Does anyone here have a launch Saturn?

Yes, Sega killed their massive momentum with the Mega CD (designed for Japan, should not have come west) the insane 32X and then the Saturn launch shambles and price, allowing Nintendo to catch up in the US with effectively an answer to Sonic in Donkey Kong Country, and the N64 hype.

It's very much like Nintendo's screw-ups between N64/GCN and Wii/Wii U really, momentum death. The Wii remained the overall winner of last gen worldwide, but the 360 overtook it in the US.
I've actually seen some people say Genesis retook the SNES again in the west with the Majesco Genesis 3, any truth to that? I do think Genesis overall won the Europe portion of the west though. I was in the UK and I remember the Mega Drive being more popular.

To be fair I don't think Nintendo Gamecube had a chance against the Ps2. Ps2 hype was massive. I do agree with Wii and I think ps3 passed it on Europe too.

Timu

Genesis. So many gems on this system. If I did a top 5 it would be like this.
I know I'll get shit for my 5th

Genesis
Saturn
Original Xbox
N64
SNES

I was more of a PC guy in the 90's. Which is why I liked the Arcade ports on the Saturn.
Great list, and props to the OG Xbox as it's a very underrated console.

D.Lo

I've actually seen some people say Genesis retook the SNES again in the west with the Majesco Genesis 3, any truth to that? I do think Genesis overall won the Europe portion of the west though. I was in the UK and I remember the Mega Drive being more popular.

To be fair I don't think Nintendo Gamecube had a chance against the Ps2. Ps2 hype was massive. I do agree with Wii and I think ps3 passed it on Europe too.
Genesis probably did re-take the US, but there is no completely hard proof (3rd party consoles are a bit of a grey area anyway). Sega definitely would have won the UK, not so sure about PAL as a whole as Nintendo was very strong in Germany, France and to a lesser extent Australia. But Nintendo dominated in Japan so much that worldwide it wasn't close.

Nothing could stop the PS2, Sony piggybacked the PS1 and DVD momentum for the most successful transition ever really. But the Gamecube was supposed to be the comeback after the N64 blip, with optical media, 3rd party support, and clean as hell graphics (compared to jaggy PS2 and blurry N64) from what was a pretty powerful and cheap box. Instead the N64 market was just split between the two second place consoles, Xbox got the Goldeneye/Turok shooter market, and Gamecube kept the Nintendo fans only.

MikeMyers

Ah okay.

Another thing that hurt the launch was that Sony grabbed time exclusivity of Mortal Kombat 3, which was one of the Genesis biggest IPs.

MikeMyers

Genesis probably did re-take the US, but there is no completely hard proof (3rd party consoles are a bit of a grey area anyway). Sega definitely would have won the UK, not so sure about PAL as a whole as Nintendo was very strong in Germany, France and to a lesser extent Australia. But Nintendo dominated in Japan so much that worldwide it wasn't close.

Nothing could stop the PS2, Sony piggybacked the PS1 and DVD momentum for the most successful transition ever really. But the Gamecube was supposed to be the comeback after the N64 blip, with optical media, 3rd party support, and clean as hell graphics (compared to jaggy PS2 and blurry N64) from what was a pretty powerful and cheap box. Instead the N64 market was just split between the two second place consoles, Xbox got the Goldeneye/Turok shooter market, and Gamecube kept the Nintendo fans only.
Nick Alexander who was president of Sega Europe during that era said in an interview with Sega-16 Mega Drive won in PAL except for Gemany. But yeah SNES was clearly the winner worldwide.

Actually it'd be interesting to hear some Sega Europe interviews on the Saturn era. We never hear much on that.

Gamecube could have done better with DVD, and I agree that the Xbox hurt it more than the PS2 did. Keeping Rare may have helped battle Halo with their own FPS, but I'm not sure if they could have competed Halo. Not saying Halo is bad but a lot of its push came through Microsoft agressive marketing campaigns for it, which they could afford to do since they were so rich.

Fatnick

In the uk the Saturn was horrendously expensive compared to the PS...and wouldn't even work with a good chunk of TVs out of the box. That would have been enough to lose them the advantage - even if Sony hadn't opened up the market to a ne bunch of affluent gamers.

IrishNinja

Yes, Sega killed their massive momentum with the Mega CD (designed for Japan, should not have come west)

ehh i agree with several bits in the last few posts but can't co-sign this; it was a well-selling peripheral that got a solid library, let them (and sony) dip their feet in the digital pond, and while it didnt make a profit i don't think it really contributed to sinking them. 32x, saturn pricing etc yeah, no denying that

I bought my Saturn basically for myself as a late present for my birthday in November of 95 (my b-day is Oct 31). I had to wait because I'd just started a new job on Oct 2nd. My first paycheck on the 15th bought Chrono Trigger and Lunar II as well as 2 CDs (Asia - Aria & ELP - In the Hot Seat). My Oct 31 paycheck was mostly saved and combined with my November 15th paycheck to purchase my Saturn. I bought it from Toys R Us, and I know that I paid 349.00 USD + tax (so 17.50 in tax at the time). I remember because it would amuse me to pay for large purchases with exact change counted out before being rung up. My Saturn came with Virtua Fighter as a pack-in, and a couple demo discs (music disc, PR disc, and a game demo disc).

Three weeks later I was in an automobile accident...I was rear ended by a semi-truck w/trailer in my little Plymouth Horizon on the interstate while on my way to work. Someone tried to force their way onto the highway from a dead stop (traffic being heavy didn't allow for a good merge). I slammed on my breaks to avoid hitting the car, and for my troubles was hit by the Semi behind me which was too close. Totaled the car, but luckily I walked away from that accident without so much as even getting whiplash. the trucking company's insurance settled within 8 hours. I tell this story because I used some of the money I got from the settlement to purchase Virtua Fighter 2 which had just come out. :3

MikeMyers

Happy almost Birthday dude!

I always wondered what it was like being a Saturn owner back then, Must have been an interesting experience.

The Saturn was great if you knew what you were getting into. It was a good complimentary system much like Nintendo nowadays. It was my secondary to my PC, but I was also old enough to own a N64 as well, so I had all of the exclusives.

IrishNinja

The Saturn was great if you knew what you were getting into. It was a good complimentary system much like Nintendo nowadays. It was my secondary to my PC, but I was also old enough to own a N64 as well, so I had all of the exclusives.

i can imagine this was true - like, even if id've had a Saturn then, i absolutely would've needed a PSX
prolly would've played multi-plats on the saturn mostly but still

D.Lo

ehh i agree with several bits in the last few posts but can't co-sign this; it was a well-selling peripheral that got a solid library, let them (and sony) dip their feet in the digital pond, and while it didnt make a profit i don't think it really contributed to sinking them. 32x, saturn pricing etc yeah, no denying that
Not in isolation, but it was part of a pattern of ill-thought out strategy, lack of focus and shortlived support.

Though it's not like the pattern was new. SG1000, SG1000 II, Mark III, Master System, Mega Drive, Mega CD - all released within a seven year space!

i can imagine this was true - like, even if id've had a Saturn then, i absolutely would've needed a PSX
prolly would've played multi-plats on the saturn mostly but still
Well, until the end of 1997 when multi-plats mostly dried up.

I loved the Saturn in 1998 though, with an Action Replay and the easiest 60Hz mod ever I was rolling with King of Fighters 97, Street Fighter Zero 2, Xmen vs Street Fighter, Sega Rally, Real Bout Special, first time I really felt like the arcade at home.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I bought my Saturn basically for myself as a late present for my birthday in November of 95 (my b-day is Oct 31). I had to wait because I'd just started a new job on Oct 2nd. My first paycheck on the 15th bought Chrono Trigger and Lunar II as well as 2 CDs (Asia - Aria & ELP - In the Hot Seat). My Oct 31 paycheck was mostly saved and combined with my November 15th paycheck to purchase my Saturn. I bought it from Toys R Us, and I know that I paid 349.00 USD + tax (so 17.50 in tax at the time). I remember because it would amuse me to pay for large purchases with exact change counted out before being rung up. My Saturn came with Virtua Fighter as a pack-in, and a couple demo discs (music disc, PR disc, and a game demo disc).

Three weeks later I was in an automobile accident...I was rear ended by a semi-truck w/trailer in my little Plymouth Horizon on the interstate while on my way to work. Someone tried to force their way onto the highway from a dead stop (traffic being heavy didn't allow for a good merge). I slammed on my breaks to avoid hitting the car, and for my troubles was hit by the Semi behind me which was too close. Totaled the car, but luckily I walked away from that accident without so much as even getting whiplash. the trucking company's insurance settled within 8 hours. I tell this story because I used some of the money I got from the settlement to purchase Virtua Fighter 2 which had just come out. :3

Cool story man!

IrishNinja

I loved the Saturn in 1998 though, with an Action Replay and the easiest 60Hz mod ever I was rolling with King of Fighters 97, Street Fighter Zero 2, Xmen vs Street Fighter, Sega Rally, Real Bout Special, first time I really felt like the arcade at home.

ah, see...i was in college then, and reading diehard gamefan didn't help my sour grapes attitude towards the system. wish idve known someone in the dorms with one cause that honestly would've been magical, seeing the gap from arcade to console like that

Top Bottom